Author Topic: Project: Shrinemaiden website 2.0  (Read 26419 times)

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
Project: Shrinemaiden website 2.0
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I wanted bring back a topic that was mention by TSO back in 2007.

Back in April of 07' the old Maiden of the Kalaidoscope website was lost when someone didn't manage to keep up with the payments for the site and forum, which then had the website and forum get taken away by a spam group the moment the domain name was up for grabs.

Eventually TSO and SH7 revived the forum and started a new board but then there was a question in mind....

What are we going to do with the MotK website? We had a placeholder that was place there where updates were made occasionally but it lacked something so TSO made this suggestion...

Alright, as was being discussed on the old new forums before we lost them, the main site needs a major overhaul.  The old main page leaves a lot to be desired, and didn't coordinate well with the forums.  Now that we have a truely clean start, we can make one big unifying design, and finally lay to rest the old sm page.

Here's what I need from you guys.  A lot of you are artists and graphic designers, but have no idea how to code.  That's perfectly fine, all I really need is a pictoral representation of the layout, and possible source images for graphics used in the design.  Working code is not required, and is in fact discouraged.  Don't bother about coding, I can handle that part of the equation.  I just need a good pictoral view of a general layout, and I can build the site around that.  So let me do the grunt work, you guys just let your creative juices flow and make shrinemaiden purdy.

Forum layout/themes are also welcome and encouraged greatly.  I've got a current project I'm working on, Chatbag.net.  Part of that project involves a total reworking of SMF's layout templates and themes, so I've got a lot of experience working SMF now.  You can see examples of the work in progress here (nav bar/main page) and here (forums)

Part of this for me is practice doing serious web design and development, and I can use all the practice I can get to make everything work as expected.  Let me do the grunt work of the coding, you guys just focus on creative designs, and I'll make them work.  So don't fret if you don't have any sort of web programming skill at all, I don't need or want working code, I just want a layout

Here's an example of what I'm looking for, in terms of a pictoral layout.

This is the example layout for the main page I'm building, see how the nav bar and such are built, with examples of hover-over, and current page effects.  Any sort of background images are included, including any custom graphics like the column divider.

Example of a forum layout, specifically the front board view.  Spots are marked with examples, other items are clearly marked, etc.  For the forums, I'm going to need 3 layout examples, front board view, thread listing view, and an example thread.

Preferred format for these is a psd, with each individual piece in layers, but I can work with a flat image.  Use png for a flat, jpg will ruin the colors.  I'll enable attachments for this forum, with a 10mb limit per attachment to upload sample work.  Clearly indicate what the layout is for in the filename please, and also make a zip of any separate source images and attach as well.

Now get to it

So then several people gave out ideas, but as far as I recall, not many put it to full use.

Luckly I found out about it and decided to contribute to the project.

I went and gather a large number of artist to help out or just get me permission to use thier pictures and worked on a site layout along with a banners I put together.

Here's what I had put together over the time...

Main banner 1 - Art by Chaotic Unknown

Main Banner 2 - Art by Chaotic Unknown

Main Banner 3 - Art by Chaotic Unknown

PC-98 banner - Art by Midnight Sun

Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil banner - Art by OHKRA

Perfect Cherry Blossom - Art by Limiter

Inperishable Night banner - Art by OHKRA

Immaterial and Missing Power - Art by Wong

Phantasmagloia of Flower View - Art by Limiter

Shoot the Bullet - Art by Limiter

Mountain of Faith - Art by Totaku

And here's the main site layout:
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/3379/shrinemaidenmainnh6.jpg

As far as I know TSO was interested in all the idea I had in mind and wanted to implement what I put together for her. But then she got held up with her own problems.

I donno if she has gotten through it all, But there are some concerns to deal with....

First off, TSO mention she wanted a "Rumor section" of the site which means another banner.

Second, two years have passed. So we have to work on some new banners for: Scarlet Weather Raphsody, Suberrantian Animism, and eventually Undefined Fantastic Object.

Third, when Wrathie came along he wanted to see about touching up the banners so I teamed up with him and eventually got another friend named "snapxiyth" to work with me.

So far we came up with these banners:

Banner touchup by Wrathie

Banner touchup by Wrathie

Banner touchup by Snapxyith

Text about game content provided by Redcar
--

So what does this means of right now is, even though the Shrinemaiden site maybe a ways from being ready I would like to ask the forum community to partake in helping get this project rolling and bring this vision into reality.

While TSO is willing to use the current banners I've made, I would like to stive for something better but if I'm left to do it myself it'll take a while. Which is why I would like to see if others are willing to help out in working on some things to get the designs together.

What I recall TSO said she required was artist that were part of the forum community (if possible). Since she feels taking art from other places isn't right since we are likely risking having the art pulled down if it's found out to be stolen.
All banner must not reveal final, EX or Phantasm bosses.
And we are all welcome to touchup if needed.

So far my plans on the work list are:

Retouching the site design
Retouching the remaining banners
Work on the rumor, SWR, SA, and UFO banners

I know there may be more, but I can't think of them right now.

But for now, I'm open for anyone thoughts views of ideas for the site design. I've studied graphic design in college so I have my share of experience and can see how we can use the ideas, and suggestions you all have in mind.

Also anyone who's interesting in drawing, design and partaking is welcome, cause it would truely help.

As for now, let's try the brings this site design into reality!

(PS: On a side note: I may still be on the busy side since I still have client projects, so I may not be able to fully participate till I can get my client projects over with.[Which is likely late May now.])
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:26:56 PM by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
Re: Project: Shrinemaiden website 2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:23:12 PM »
and yea, I'm behind ya pal!
Tell me if u need anything done per usual

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 01:53:41 PM »
The old banners are a bit weak, bu the retouched banners are like 20x oversaturated, something needs to be done about that.  Not much else to say at this point though.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »
Give me the renders or the pictures you wanted to use, I will see what I can do about it since I am getting my Photoshop again in May.

If you don't mind waiting until then.
I think almost anyone who used my stuff back a year ago knows well I have something much to offer on banners and stuff. Depending if you need buttons and that sort of thing I could well contribute as well.

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Totaku

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:21:42 PM »
Mmm good to see some responds now. I was a little concerned. ^^;

and yea, I'm behind ya pal!
Tell me if u need anything done per usual

As always, when I get the change, we should get back and finish the EoSD banner. Once I finish what's on my plate of client work...
The old banners are a bit weak, bu the retouched banners are like 20x oversaturated, something needs to be done about that.  Not much else to say at this point though.

The old banners yes, because I wasn't quite in touch with the Touhou as I am today and went with a simple mystic feel, but I realized I also couldn't do this alone either which is why I knew I needed other designers to lend a hand. 

Now as for what you mentioned of the saturation in the new banners, you're reffering to Wrathie's touchups right? Cause I know I've gone through a bit with him back then, but I feel that some of his recent banner work shows promise and I'm willing to let him try working on these again.

Snap's though is unique, and has promise, but do you really think it's over the top?

Give me the renders or the pictures you wanted to use, I will see what I can do about it since I am getting my Photoshop again in May.

If you don't mind waiting until then.
I think almost anyone who used my stuff back a year ago knows well I have something much to offer on banners and stuff. Depending if you need buttons and that sort of thing I could well contribute as well.

As I said at the end of my long lecture....

I too will not be fully active with the project till the end of May becuase I have a life where I freelance working on websites and logos for clients. ^^; So I'm fine with waiting Anon-fairy.

And yes, I seen your work back on the previous board so I know how good your work is. What we did here was done before you were a part of this board so I look forward to seeing what you can touch up.

In meantime though, I would like to know how you like me to send you the images or renders I got permission to use. You can tell me via PM if you so I can get everything ready. At the same time though, I'm going to see if I can nudge the artists into giving me their PS files or stand alone image files of the charaters they did to allow more freedom.

Though when I think about... I may have one....

But yeah, I'll see what I can do to get everything prepared for you to work with us AF.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:24:44 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 09:32:50 AM »
A-F should do it, he's more skilled in that department than I am actually.

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 08:07:43 PM »
I have some experience using photoshop so I can make banners, forum table headers, forum borders, and whatnot provided you can supply me with pictures.

I can draw as well, but I can't colour or tone to save my life (examples of my work in the 'post your artwork' thread).

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:41:10 PM »
I'm gonna be honest, I didn't even notice snaps, but looking over it, if the text could be brought out just a litttttle bit more, that would be fantastic.  I really wish I had any sort of an idea ever because once I get ideas it goes well, but that idea takes FOREVER.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 06:40:48 PM »
Geez, still no MotK website?  =<

I can do some decent HTML by hand (xhtml1.1/css2 compliant too).  I can't really do anything complex like scripting, but it's something.  Lemme know if you need a hand with some HTML work.

Also, from my days as a Simplemachines forum admin, I remember a frontpage module for SMF called TinyPortal.  Dunno how that's developed over the years, or if it could be useful to MotK as it looks like you already have a frontpage design.  But if you want something set up quickly that's connected to the forum, it might work.

BTW, ++ for using Lighttpd (Lighty).

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »
I have the HTML done as well as proof of concept code for SMF's SSI module.  The big thing holding me back right now is actually fixing the bugs with SMF 2.0's code first before even trying to build off of the SSI system.  That and learning PostgreSQL.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 07:05:15 PM »
Wheee SSI.  Good luck with all of that, hope to see the new frontpage soon. XD

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »
You know I'm a bit confused, what would the shrinemaiden website have on it, exactly? The way I understand it we're not exactly swimming in cash so high-bandwidth content like hosting doujins or music or whatever is off the table, and touhouwiki is basically already a complete source of info.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »
It could possibly be a place for all western stuff? I don't know...

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 05:54:13 AM »
Based on the page layout image above and TSO's info, looks like it's just a general news frontpage, with not much else.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:58:17 AM by Arekku »

Totaku

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 01:24:44 PM »
You know I'm a bit confused, what would the shrinemaiden website have on it, exactly? The way I understand it we're not exactly swimming in cash so high-bandwidth content like hosting doujins or music or whatever is off the table, and touhouwiki is basically already a complete source of info.

Sorry, about that, I've been busy through the last few weeks like I said I likely be, but by how the way things are looking I'm going to be having my hands free enough pretty soon just as I expected since I'm nearly done with my client's project.

Anyways I guess I'll fill you all in on the information from what I recall the site will be designed to have.

1. The site will contain information about the Touhou games (From PC-98 to likely UFO). Which will include a description of the story, some screenshots, and some information regarding the requirements, ect.

2. The main page of the site will contain an intorduction and forum news updates.

3. TSO mentioned of putting a rumor section together which will contain news and rumored bits regarding about ZUN, Touhou and other things in the Touhou verse.

So long story short, MotK's website will serve as information about the Touhou series and updates as they across. Just like the old website that MoTK use to do.

Now looks back on some of the other previous:

Mind the gap: I see your art before and if what you say is correct then you might be useful other than your art which I've seen already, mind showing some of your work samples of your banner, forum borders, ect?

If you want to, PM me, I just want to see some things you've done so I can have your better picture about your designs.

Anyways, for now, if everything works out, after this week I should have enough time to start working on this.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:38:08 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter