Author Topic: Nikenme AI: ZUN plans to release previous titles on Steam next year, and more  (Read 11866 times)

Drake

At the Nikenme Radio AI event, Ruw made an announcement with ZUN that next year they will be trying to release some of the previous Touhou games on Steam next year. They plan to release a couple (2 or 3) of them, starting around the most recent unreleased titles, being Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom, Impossible Spell Card, and Double Dealing Character.

Additionally, ZUN plans to attend Summer Comiket with a new work, and gives the sense that it might be a decimal game. He seems to be very motivated to do a bunch of Touhou stuff in 2019.

Hojo-san also announced another Reitaisai in 2020 that will be hosted in Shizuoka at the Twin Messe.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 01:21:33 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

And I just got a Steam card for Christmas!  Good time to spend it!

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
Additionally, ZUN plans to attend Summer Comiket with a new work, and gives the sense that it might be a decimal game.
I don't get it  ???

Drake

As in it'll be a side game; 16.8 rather than 17.

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
Should this be in news? thinking.jpg

That's great news for fans around the world. Unless you love getting the physical install media, Steam will be the best option for most of us. I think it's proof that he's pretty happy with the sales of his games so far.

Drake

I was thinking it should go in the news forum only once it's formally announced. I also didn't want to have to wait for mod approval lol

PK

• Border of Whatever
What gave the impression that it's gonna be a spinoff?

Drake

The exchange was Beat Mario asking him if it'll be an integer (main) game and ZUN says "I don't know, maybe it'll be a non-integer (side) game" which means it's probably the latter. He also talks about how things might change a bit, and some fans might get mad, or that there could be a divide amongst certain fans. His wording is really ambiguous and he acknowledges that he says stuff like this all the time so who knows.

Timestamp is roughly 3:05:30.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:44:14 AM by Drake »

mads

• PC-98 enthusiast
    • tumblr
excited to support ZUN at first but then realizing i have to pay

there goes my commission money
✧・゚: *✧・゚: * * :・゚✧*:・゚✧

Mellow

• A Kid, Just a kid.....
  • Is that a Touhou reference?!
This is really HYPE!! I can't wait for touhou 17, or any new fighting games he has to offer!! Also, it's good to see some other games on steam :D

I'm interested in what new protagonists there will be too.....

mima extra boss pls? owo
frick AND heck!

If it?s a fighting game, I?m curious how Okina would be explored as a character (assuming we?re sticking with the pattern of including all the recent Last Bosses in the roster). Right now, she doesn?t seem like anything more than a bored god who causes an incident as a byproduct of some mundane talent search.

Drake

Well, if it's a ZUN game it isn't going to be a fighter

The new game will be made by ZUN, so it's must be a smup. And it will not be a photo-shooter cause we're already have VD. So, the only thing left is...

Fairy Wars 2!

Oh very exciting news! I was very disappointed to see the games weren't on steam when I started getting into the series. Thankfully my sister went to Japan recently and I managed to get her to grab me every main title post PC-98 game for much cheaper then I'd get them over here  :] I'd still honestly consider buying them again on steam just to show the support to the series though.

mads

• PC-98 enthusiast
    • tumblr
Oh very exciting news! I was very disappointed to see the games weren't on steam when I started getting into the series. Thankfully my sister went to Japan recently and I managed to get her to grab me every main title post PC-98 game for much cheaper then I'd get them over here  :] I'd still honestly consider buying them again on steam just to show the support to the series though.

omg, that's dedication. because of the scarcity outside of japan, ZUN has gone on record saying he is in support of the free english patches and free full game downloads so that touhou can be enjoyed internationally. i wonder if that will change with things going to steam, but since it's ZUN, i doubt it
✧・゚: *✧・゚: * * :・゚✧*:・゚✧

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
ZUN has gone on record saying he is in support of...free full game downloads
Where exactly? As far as I know, he was only okay with the English patches; he never said anything condoning downloading his games for free.

And any changes that happened because of Touhou on Steam already have (such as fan games now being allowed).

Drake

I was gonna post saying the same thing. He's never said anything about condoning piracy; at most he has been surprised at how much people have to pay to import the games and that people will pay that anyways. This is of course a big reason why he's eventually made the efforts to release digitally. One might misinterpret "he's surprised people will pay for the games at import prices" as an expectation that otherwise people would pirate and so that's condoning it, but besides that being a mistake, ZUN was also regularly surprised that there was a sizeable overseas fanbase at all, really.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 02:49:03 AM by Drake »

omg, that's dedication. because of the scarcity outside of japan, ZUN has gone on record saying he is in support of the free english patches and free full game downloads so that touhou can be enjoyed internationally. i wonder if that will change with things going to steam, but since it's ZUN, i doubt it

They're only like 10-13 bucks if you get them in Japan which really isn't that bad. I was able to get every main title game in the series post PC-98 for less then I'd be paying these days for lets say 2 triple A titles.

In regards to steam it's mainly just because I want to support them bringing more games over on steam since it could potentially help open the game up to a bit of a larger audience in the west which could be cool.

PK

• Border of Whatever
ZUN applied for Reitaisai. I hope there is a demo incoming.

Drake

Given that his previous statements point to him releasing a decimal game at Comiket, this might be something different. Like that article suggests, it could be a music CD, which I would be 300% down for.

I know "patterns" are meaningless with this series, but ZUN's consistently released a new main title at least every 2 years since EoSD came out. I'd be more surprised if this wasn't a main game demo.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra