Author Topic: The Danganronpa Anime Is Out (Spoiler Warning For The Games)  (Read 41219 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Or the first episode of the first part is, anyway.

Seems like we're wrapping up this arc (?) of the franchise in anime form, with two shows running simultaneously. The first episode of the first one, which is a sequel to Goodbye Despair, just came out. We get to see Future Foundation and they're more or less exactly how I imagined them. We even get to see Remnants of Despair in their evil forms. They're a bit less gruesome than we were led to believe they might be, but then again I can't even imagine something that would live up to how stomach-churning the description of them in Goodbye Despair was.

Was anyone else caught off guard by how
Spoiler:
all of the blood in this episode was red and not pink? Almost makes me wonder if it's not actually blood. We'll have to wait and see if pink blood makes an appearance at any point, but my tentative theory is that nobody has actually died yet. Then again Makoto's blood when he got beaten up was red, so that kind of pokes a hole in that theory.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: The Danganronpa Anime Is Out (Spoiler Warning For The Games)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 02:31:30 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Hold up.

When did this become a thing, and is it airing anywhere?

I need this in my life.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 02:37:51 AM »

When did this become a thing,

Relatively recently. After Danganronpa 3 was announced.

and is it airing anywhere?

Probably Crunchyroll. I honestly didn't even check because their subs have been pretty weak lately, but I'm pretty sure they announced that they would be carrying it.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 02:41:08 AM »

Another game was announced? Good god, I felt like Dangan Ronpa's just like vanished off the face of the earth lately and all of a sudden it's back

dang

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 02:48:37 AM »
Yeah, it's announced for PS4 and is supposed to be way higher-budget than the other games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Danganronpa_V3:_Minna_no_Koroshiai_Shingakki

Danganronpa hasn't dropped off the face of the earth at all. Lots of announcements and even a new game within the last year (Ultra Despair Girls). What you talking about?

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 03:03:37 AM »
I just haven't heard about it at all. I haven't seen or heard anything about the series since I finished Ultra Despair Girls.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 06:52:31 PM »
I watched the first episode and all I gotta say is... make sure you have a pair of extra pants, your theories, some soda or whatever you drink and some popcorn.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 07:46:20 PM »
I just haven't heard about it at all. I haven't seen or heard anything about the series since I finished Ultra Despair Girls.
Not blaming you. The joke is that they skipped adapting the second game just to make their fantasy anime original already.

As for the episode, I'm kind of at a loss for words. :V

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 12:32:21 AM »
I'm not at loss for words, I can verbal diarrhea about Danganronpa forever. My theories are very, very rarely even correct!

Alright, so the way I see it the biggest question right now is, obviously, who the villain is. These are the possible culprits as I see it:

-A member of Future Foundation. This seems like the obvious one, since we don't know them and one of them could very easily be super shady. Right now my money is on
Spoiler:
that doctor woman what died, and I'm speculating that she deliberately committed suicide as part of an elaborate plot to force Yu Narukami into taking action against someone, whether it be Remnants or the rest of the Future Foundation. Or maybe that animator guy did it, he seemed kind of shady.

-Someone from Ultra Despair Girls. Haiji and/or Monaca are the most obvious culprits. I feel like this is fairly unlikely since it wouldn't be that much of a twist.

-Some from Remnants of Despair. We don't know who's even active right now, but it could be any of them. Hajime or Nagito are very possible, especially Nagito if he's awake. Again, not likely to be terribly interesting so possibly not that likely.

-Byakuya. He's an asshat and I hate him, therefore he must be the culprit. He's not immediately present that I noticed so he might be pulling the strings from the background somewhere. I don't really believe he's THAT much of a dick, but it's not impossible.

-Alter Junko. She was the villain in Goodbye Despair already, but we have yet to get a great excuse for why she hasn't been copied onto a million hard drives and rendered immortal, so technically she's kind of the most likely. But as an interesting option she's the least likely because that would be super boring.

-Alter Ego. Despite having been beaten by Junko multiple times Alter Ego seems to still be alive and well, so it's not really clear if the AI characters can actually die. Alter Ego survived her encounter with Alter Junko despite being defeated, and it's not clear if she survived beyond that, but I feel like we don't really have a reason to assume she didn't. And if that's the case then it makes a lot of sense to me that the reason Alter Junko didn't erase her is because she corrupted her after taking over the Neo World Program. This is my outside chance bet following "someone from Future Foundation", but I admit it would be pretty far out of left field and also pretty repetitive.

-A fucking ghost. Guys, remember how FUCKING GHOSTS EXIST IN THIS FRANCHISE APPARENTLY? How could a ghost not have done it now that that's a thing?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:42:26 AM by commandercool »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 01:12:03 AM »
It just wouldn't feel right if some incarnation of Junko wasn't the true villain, honestly.

Haiji and Monaca have to be involved though, or else it'd just be some totally loose ends that they just ignored, so I have a feeling they'll be involved.

I do absolutely hope Alter Ego plays some role in this series somehow.

I don't think Togami is the culprit. He's a complete ass, but in his case it feels that the ends justify the means. Naegi's too nice, so he needs to be the bad cop, for lack of a better metaphor.

Either way, I'm digging this and it's classic DR to go from 0 to 100 in nothing flat. Can't wait for the next episode.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 02:02:10 AM »
It just wouldn't feel right if some incarnation of Junko wasn't the true villain, honestly.

Well then that pretty much leaves a ghost, since AI Junko has basically been the villain twice in a row now. Or maybe some estranged relation of hers. I guess they could reveal just about anybody as being secretly her long-lost brother or sister and have them start taking on Junko-like traits.

Tangentially related, but do you think they'll ever address how Remnants of Despair got ahold of her corpse even though she died by being crushed into a pancake by a giant weight? I'm not sure if that should just be written off as a quirk of the second game not having been fully mapped out when the first game was written, or an actual plot point. It seemed like the manner in which she died was briefly alluded to in this episode (in the opening I think?) though, so maybe it actually is important. Maybe that corpse that the Remnants were fucking wasn't actually hers?

Haiji and Monaca have to be involved though, or else it'd just be some totally loose ends that they just ignored, so I have a feeling they'll be involved.

I guess, but it would feel premature to me to address those loose ends that quickly. Interested to see what happens I guess, they could probably pull it off in a way that wouldn't feel rushed. Also, keep in mind that this isn't the only Danganronpa anime this season. I believe the other one is a prequel so the loose ends regarding them couldn't be easily tied up in it, but they could be fleshed out and developed maybe.

I do absolutely hope Alter Ego plays some role in this series somehow.

I wonder if she could make AI versions of the rest of the deceased Danganronpa 1 cast? That could be a cool way to see some of our long-gone favorite characters again and a thematically interesting way of defeating whoever the bad guy is.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
To be honest my money is on Monaca... but it's all up in the air.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:16:28 PM by MewMewHeart »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 09:49:45 PM »
Despair Arc >>> Future Arc for me

It's much more to my tastes. It's basically fanservice going over all the character quirks. "Oh, yeah, that was a thing." "Wait, don't tell me, it's THIS guy --THERE HE IS" etcetera. It's nice getting a reminder after, like, four years. Yukizome is awesome too.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 11:05:35 PM »
I'm just laughing so hard Despair Arc first episode omfg so many laughs and poor Mikan. I love this arc WAY more better than Future I wanna see more of this, I mean everybody was goofy as fuck to the point I laughed too hard. It's sad that
Spoiler:
Yukizome died on Future arc, she's like the teacher I wish I had.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:22:20 PM by MewMewHeart »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 02:50:47 AM »
Yup, I cared about the Despair Arc episode waaaay less than the Future Arc one. That's not to say it wasn't okay, but I don't prefer it. Maybe once the plot gets rolling I will, but it mostly reminded me how irritating most of the Goodbye Despair cast is.

So there are a few major points to take note of the way I see it.

-Chiaki being a real person is the obvious one. I assume this means that she will A) meet Chihiro at some point, since she's not a total fabrication after all and B) die before the end of the series. Also, if Chiaki is based on a real person does that mean Monomi is as well? Yukizome maybe?

(Edit: Or I guess it's possible that this still isn't real life and Chiaki is still an AI and never did actually exist, but what would the point of that be?)

-Unlike in the other episode, the blood is pink. This makes me think that the difference actually does matter.

These episodes are also my first major exposure to the Japanese voice casts, and I gotta say, I honestly really prefer the English cast. I'm definitely missing out on a lot of nuance, but the English VAs seem to have way more character. Especially Monokuma.

This is also reminding me how much of Goodbye Despair I don't remember. I played that game so quickly and it's so complex that I didn't retain a lot of relevant stuff. I don't think I really care to replay it since so much of it is based on surprises and puzzling out the ridiculously complicated scenarios, but I kind of feel like I have to to really follow exactly what's going on.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:53:13 AM by commandercool »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 08:10:17 AM »
On the contrary, I just finished the first episode of Despair and I am so fucking excited. I'm remembering how much I loved my favorite characters from DR2 (especially Chiaki and yes I'm going to be ebullient over her for the entire time especially since she's clearly one of the central focus characters which makes me all the happier because she's by far and away my favorite DR character along with Chihiro and Junko). I can't wait to see how it all plays out-- well I mean, we know how it will-- but I can't wait to watch them all fall to despair because it's going to be crazy.

Chiaki being a real person is really surprising to me on that note-- wasn't she created as an AI by Chihiro/Alter Ego? Or was that only in the digital world that DR2 takes place in? And we've no reason to believe that this is that digital world just yet, since this is supposed to take place before they fall to despair and the world goes to shit.

That said, I'm also reminded about how much I hated certain characters. There's that too. But still.

The Japanese voice casts are really solid imo, but that is also because I never really played any of the games with English voices-- especially so for DR2, because some of my favorite voice actors voice some of my favorite characters:
Chiaki - Kana Hanazawa
Sonia - Miho Arakawa (aka Himari Takakura from Mawaru Penguindrum and Ginko Yurishiro from Yuri Kuma Arashi)
Peko - Kotono Mitsuishi (aka Sailor fuckin' Moon)
Komaeda - Megumi Ogata (Shinji, Sailor Uranus, Yukito from Cardcaptor Sakura)
Gundam - Tomokazu Sugita

and so on-- Dangan Ronpa in general has kind of an all star voice actor lineup and I love it.

Finally, apparently the Impostor is Mitarai, or is Mitarai the Impostor? At what point do they disguise as Togami?

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 08:49:39 AM »
On the contrary, I just finished the first episode of Despair and I am so fucking excited. I'm remembering how much I loved my favorite characters from DR2 (especially Chiaki and yes I'm going to be ebullient over her for the entire time especially since she's clearly one of the central focus characters which makes me all the happier because she's by far and away my favorite DR character along with Chihiro and Junko). I can't wait to see how it all plays out-- well I mean, we know how it will-- but I can't wait to watch them all fall to despair because it's going to be crazy.

Chiaki being a real person is really surprising to me on that note-- wasn't she created as an AI by Chihiro/Alter Ego? Or was that only in the digital world that DR2 takes place in? And we've no reason to believe that this is that digital world just yet, since this is supposed to take place before they fall to despair and the world goes to shit.

That said, I'm also reminded about how much I hated certain characters. There's that too. But still.

The Japanese voice casts are really solid imo, but that is also because I never really played any of the games with English voices-- especially so for DR2, because some of my favorite voice actors voice some of my favorite characters:
Chiaki - Kana Hanazawa
Sonia - Miho Arakawa (aka Himari Takakura from Mawaru Penguindrum and Ginko Yurishiro from Yuri Kuma Arashi)
Peko - Kotono Mitsuishi (aka Sailor fuckin' Moon)
Komaeda - Megumi Ogata (Shinji, Sailor Uranus, Yukito from Cardcaptor Sakura)
Gundam - Tomokazu Sugita

and so on-- Dangan Ronpa in general has kind of an all star voice actor lineup and I love it.

Finally, apparently the Impostor is Mitarai, or is Mitarai the Impostor? At what point do they disguise as Togami?

Chiaki threw me for a loop but for now I'm just assuming she was a real person and they modeled the VR AI after her.

It's weird if the imposter wasn't always a SHSL imposter. I was wondering if they retconned out the con artist. :V

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 05:32:29 PM »
Can I also add how much I love the Despair OP? It's so GOOD :*

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:37:08 PM by Matsuri »

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 06:13:34 PM »
re: the japanese voices, if you haven't heard megumi ogata's komaeda going 'sore wa chigau yo' then you've been missing out.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 06:27:22 PM »
It kind of blows my mind at how good of a voice actor she is. <3

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2016, 10:32:14 PM »
I may not absolutely love Despair Arc yet, but there is one thing I love: Now that Gundam isn't just a series of character portraits they can dress up his hamsters Four Devas for every different context. :D

As far as we knew she was completely made up by Chihiro. But clearly that isn't the case now. She isn't part of Remnants of Despair though, so something's going to happen to her at some point I imagine. It's not impossible that she's still alive, but I don't think it's likely.

I assume Impostor and Mitarai are different people, but it's not a sure thing. Impostor is probably my second-favorite character in Goodbye Despair so I'm pretty excited to see more from them.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 05:37:38 PM »
I got home from out of town and catching up on anime.

I'm really impressed with both of these arcs!

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 02:52:27 AM »
Rewatching a little bit of Despair because something seemed... off.

Did anyone else notice how Chiaki's personality is somewhat different? Sure, she's still pretty asocial and aloof-ish, but in the game at least, she seemed generally cheerful and optimistic when she wasn't nodding off to sleep. In her conversation with Hinata, she almost sounded kind of sad, saying that he has freedom to become whoever he wants to be, while all she has is games.

Maybe being SHSL-anything isn't actually all it's cracked up to be.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 03:10:50 AM »
Rewatching a little bit of Despair because something seemed... off.

Did anyone else notice how Chiaki's personality is somewhat different? Sure, she's still pretty asocial and aloof-ish, but in the game at least, she seemed generally cheerful and optimistic when she wasn't nodding off to sleep.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that. Wasn't sure whether to chalk it up to the fact that I'm used to the English voice actress or not.

My theory is that since Chihiro apparently based AI Chiaki on real Chiaki but as far as we know they weren't very close, he may not have actually known her that well. The Chiaki we know may be pretty different from the real one because the inspiration could be pretty loose.

It's also interesting that while everyone else is the crudest possible cartoon version of themselves in this episode, we don't see Chiaki's characteristic narcolepsy. The episode seemed mostly interested with cramming as many "Remember when this happened?" moments in as possible, so I'm surprised we didn't see "Remember how Chiaki falls asleep a lot and is the world's easiest-to-murder person?". Or did she fall asleep and I just overlooked it?

In her conversation with Hinata, she almost sounded kind of sad, saying that he has freedom to become whoever he wants to be, while all she has is games.

Maybe being SHSL-anything isn't actually all it's cracked up to be.

My persistent frustration with Danganronpa has been that it's never fully fleshed out its themes regarding how being an ordinary person is okay and you don't need to be super special to make a difference. There are bits of that everywhere, but in the end it usually ends up being the special people who keep saving the day. This, along with Komaru, may end up being important pieces of that puzzle.

I really hope I don't have to watch Chiaki die again. I was fucking traumatized for life last time. :(

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 04:25:52 AM »
Hmm, I honestly didn't think anime-Nanami was all that out of character compared to game-Nanami, since I always felt like she had a kind of melancholy air about her when it came to the whole being-an-AI thing. But of course the two Nanamis are entirely different beings, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of background and motivations anime-Nanami will show that will make her distinct from game-Nanami.

Her line is pretty interesting because while the academy pretty much pushes the idea that talent = hope, Nanami saying that talent limits her possibilities implies the opposite. Yukizome also says later on something about how it's the bonds of friendship that will make their hope shine, not their talents. The difference in their ideals is an interesting contrast, and could potentially be a conflict later on (esp. with the Kamukura Izuru Project getting under way).

Writing it out like this, I'm looking forward to the Despair arc a lot more, because it feels like it has a lot more potential. Although that might be because we know the general direction of where the Despair arc is headed, compared to the Future arc which can literally go anywhere at this point.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 07:36:09 PM »
I'm not even sure where to start with today's episode... so much happened. TOO MUCH HAPPENED

Spoiler:
I'm a little disappointed that this killing game is so similar to Mafia/Werewolf, but it's mostly forgivable. The forbidden actions sounds fun.

Spoiler:
I WASN'T EXPECTING A DR1 CAST MEMBER TO DIE SO SOON

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 07:46:40 PM »
I am... in despair.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 01:03:02 AM »
WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHA

no

not cool wtf

:negative:

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 05:04:17 AM »
Alright, I'm watching right now.

Spoiler:
-Ha ha, Yu Narukami Guy's death in the opening is a self-inflicted bullet to the head. Granted so it's Makoto's, but still, PERSONA! confirmed.

-Monokuma's Japanese VA does nothing for me.

-Ooh, Monomi's here. That's interesting. It's not clear to what degree it's the same one. Presumably the Monomi we know was an autonomous AI that was just patterned after Gekkogahara, but I suppose it could have actually been her.

-I wonder if Gekkogahara needs that wheelchair or she's just being weird? Can she walk? Extreme long-shot theory: Gekkogahara is Chiaki. We know Chiaki was a real person after all now but we don't know what happens to her, so maybe she gets maimed by the Remnants and ends up joining Future Foundation? There are a ton of holes in this theory and very little basis for it, but they do look kind of similar from the very little of Gekkogahara we can see. Then again their hair is entirely different and most Danganronpa characters have similar eyes. But they do have a number of connections through Monomi, the New World Program, and potential visual similarities.

-Wow, what, that weird little girl man died already? Christ, that was fast. Too bad too, he seemed interesting.

-The action choreography and music are pretty lackluster. That's a budget thing I assume, but it's unfortunate. Oh well. Not really what the show's about.

-Twist isn't THAT much of a twist. It was going to be either Asahina or Great Gozu (or a long-shot of Gekkogahara, but I assume there's much more to be done with her) who was dead upon everyone waking up. I guess if I HAD to pick one it would be Asahina. That sort of points toward one of the three surviving people in that room as being the killer, but it's by no means a sure thing.

-I wonder if Kyoko's forbidden action has something to do with being a detective? She hasn't spoken up with many deductions which is a bit unusual. Maybe she's still just gathering clues, but it seems weird that we haven't heard more from her.

So every time I've played one of the games I finished it in a span of 36 hours or less, so I concentrated all of the anxiousness in as short a period as possible. Having it spread out over a number of weeks is going to be an ordeal. Almost makes me wish I had waited for the whole series to end to watch it, but then I couldn't talk about it as it airs.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:05:50 AM by commandercool »

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 02:11:52 PM »
GDI... best character died... I need to binge on video games....  :fail: