Author Topic: UEFA EURO 2016, anyone?  (Read 52040 times)

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
Re: UEFA EURO 2016, anyone?
« Reply #300 on: July 03, 2016, 08:55:33 PM »
That's why they're the most awesome team.
Definitely, and while we're at it, I want to give the Icelanders sincere congratulations for getting this far in their first official Euro participation. They performed extraordinarily well as a new team. No matter what the outcome tonight right now, they lost with dignity. I sure hope to see them soon again in a major tournament!
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #301 on: July 03, 2016, 09:00:59 PM »
Yea, I'm glad they were able to have defeat with dignity. The goal for the men's team was just getting there - everything after that was gravy. They played with a strong defense and great use of possession, and fought a worthy opponent. It's been fun times. I look forward to seeing how all this pans out!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

TableCloth

• Call of Loli: Waifu Warfare
« Reply #302 on: July 03, 2016, 09:17:33 PM »
Even until now, I'm still surprised that Iceland actually made it this far in the tournament. It's just... too awesome. They're just that based, aren't they?

Well, with Iceland out of mind, that left me with the Welshmen to root at...

WALES! Uuu~
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: MoF, IN, SA, PCB
Lunatic 1cc: MoF, IN

Currently struggling against depression by writing a light novel. Also, stop talking about nazi. The fact that I have Swastika in my name makes me stressed whenever anyone brought up any topic related to nazi and neo-nazi (unless we're talking about history, then I'm up for it). No, I'm not a neo-nazi. Neither are my parents. F**k off.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #303 on: July 03, 2016, 09:20:09 PM »

Iceland lost 5-2.

England probobly would been humiliated 10-0.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #304 on: July 03, 2016, 09:27:10 PM »
gg wp Tengu. I think like it was said here, France took no risk and trying to underestimate them. Though a few of the goals I wondered why the defenders let them walk away so easily to the ball. Is it lack of speed?

Well, seems it is going to be Ger vs Fr at this rate.

TableCloth

• Call of Loli: Waifu Warfare
« Reply #305 on: July 03, 2016, 09:33:01 PM »
England probobly would been humiliated 10-0.
The best part is, I can totally see this happen. #sarcasm
Well, seems it is going to be Ger vs Fr at this rate.
Rooting for Germany, as always.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:35:30 PM by TableCloth »
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: MoF, IN, SA, PCB
Lunatic 1cc: MoF, IN

Currently struggling against depression by writing a light novel. Also, stop talking about nazi. The fact that I have Swastika in my name makes me stressed whenever anyone brought up any topic related to nazi and neo-nazi (unless we're talking about history, then I'm up for it). No, I'm not a neo-nazi. Neither are my parents. F**k off.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #306 on: July 03, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »
Well, no matter. Wales - Germany will be an acceptable final match as well. Fully expecting both these teams to dish out some sweet, sweet revenge in the semis, respectively for knocking out my national team and the team we've been all rooting for.

Meanwhile, Iceland has earned very good money for participating and making it this far into the tournament. They need to invest it into more and more indoor football fields for all the kids inspired by their performance to train on.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #307 on: July 03, 2016, 11:25:31 PM »
I'm sad to see Iceland and their fans go out, but they showed a lot of spirit in defeat. Even down 4-0 they showed a lot more heart than, say,  my Grandma's home of Brazil in 2014. I am proud of my newly adopted football brethren.

The USA honestly could stand to look at Iceland's developmental system which seems light-years ahead of ours. My fear is that greed and stubbornness will continue to make serious childhood soccer in the USA a "pay-to-play" system which will always limit our ceiling.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #308 on: July 06, 2016, 07:41:16 AM »
Okay, it's time for the semifinals of sweet, satisfying vengeance. Step one: Wales enacts revenge on Portugal for knocking out my national team. Hopefully. Go Wales, I want to see you in the final!
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #309 on: July 06, 2016, 12:19:05 PM »
I hope I get to watch the matches today. As it is the second day of our feast, we might be having visitors. orz

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #310 on: July 06, 2016, 06:58:49 PM »
Cristiano Ronaldo VS Gareth Bale

let the show begin

Tengukami

« Reply #311 on: July 06, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »
By the Norse gods, please Wales make it rain #RonaldoTears all over the stadium.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #312 on: July 06, 2016, 08:09:17 PM »
What a header from Ronaldo.

POR 1-0 WAL

:V

UPDATE: HOLY SHIT Portugal is waking up! 2-0.

UPDATE2: WALES OUT! Why Bale why. I can smell POR-GER coming.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:51:50 PM by Jimmy »

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #313 on: July 06, 2016, 08:48:11 PM »
It's over. Can whoever wins the next match please beat Portugal >>

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #314 on: July 06, 2016, 09:02:43 PM »
It's over. Can whoever wins the next match please beat Portugal >>

This
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #315 on: July 06, 2016, 09:07:01 PM »
Nobody likes Portugal.  :derp:

Tengukami

« Reply #316 on: July 06, 2016, 09:11:02 PM »
Choice between rooting for France or Germany now. I love the way both these teams play, but I'm inclined to Germany. They just play more like a team to me.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #317 on: July 06, 2016, 09:36:12 PM »
Even though the French don't appear to play as rough as the Italians, a few things do make me worry a bit about the upcoming semi-final:

1) Hummels, who is an excellent defender alongside Boateng, is blocked due to two (questionable ?) subsequent yellow cards in the knockout phase.
2) Khedira and Gomez, two important players as well, midfield and attack, have injuries in their muscles (rupture in the musce fibers, I think) which makes playing properly impossible for them.
3) The uncertainty whether Schweinsteiger can play or not, he got injured too, but fortunately not as severe as the aforementioned two. I've heard that he's participating in training sessions again, but still.

I hope L?w's figuring out an alternatively effective lineup. H?wedes and Mustafi should fill the defense, while Draxler, G?tze, Can, and probably a few more stabilize the center (midfield and attack).
France looks dangerous with Giroud, Griezmann, Pogba, Matuidi and co. in the starting eleven. I wonder if the match is gonna be as intense as against Italy. There's a solid likelyhood that it could be the case.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:39:26 PM by Jimmy »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #318 on: July 07, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »
Oh man, tonight is going to be an epic match.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #319 on: July 07, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »
Sure hope so. I've sort of lost my heart for this championship after yesterday's match, hopefully this game will rekindle the fire. You show them, Germany!
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2016, 07:32:04 PM »
In this game: France isn't ready for Germany's offensive.  :derp:

EDIT: On the other hand, no one was ready for that penalty.  :munch:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:50:53 PM by BT »

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2016, 07:57:47 PM »
Welp. Germany is the better team in my eyes, would be a shame if they end up losing after this kind of a silly penalty.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2016, 08:32:16 PM »
That retarded passing in front of their own goal. Shoot the fucking ball away instead of doing dumb things which made the 2-0.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2016, 08:39:28 PM »
Germany is the better team
I take that back. Ugh.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #324 on: July 07, 2016, 08:41:39 PM »
Technically they were the better team. Except mass-def France with only counter-attack moments. They have been mass-defending-counter-only since 1'.

Edit
This is over unless Sanae Miracle.

Edit2
gg wp France. Germany was their first formidable opponent in this entire EC and they had major trouble with them.

Edit3
So it is Pr vs Fr huh. Well then.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:08:55 PM by Helepolis »

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #325 on: July 07, 2016, 10:41:49 PM »
Welp, damnit  :V

Hats off for the French, they did pretty well tonight. The Germans have committed a couple of fatal mistakes, of which one Griezmann could exploit for his team's victory. France certainly did better in regard of actually utilizing their opportunities at the right time, the Germans were superior in defense, except that unnecessary slip of course. The moment Boateng came down due to an injury, I thought that the outcome was pretty much clear because the actual German defense was already immensely weakened with Hummels missing and the center lacked stability due to the absence of Khedira and Gomez. We stood almost no chance against the pretty aggressively playing French in the second half.

What I basically think is that almost all powerful international countries' men teams are missing something crucial: willpower. Like Iceland. They pulled something off against France that I did actually not expect after such a score deficit. They kept fighting no matter what. Albeit quite pointless, they managed to get two goals in not necessarily to win, but to show that they're not afraid of their opponent and not giving up. A prime example of lacking that particular skillset is Brazil in the WC 2014 semi-finals, all they did after the second German goal was to hopelessly trudge around on the field. Germany tonight might have done more to catch back up, but in the end still lacked said skills and proficiency and their passes became chaotic, which allowed the overall dominance to shift over to the French.

So, all in all, congrats to the French for advancing to the final, I'll be neutral from now on  ;)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:44:21 PM by Jimmy »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #326 on: July 07, 2016, 11:43:15 PM »
I thought Germany played the better game but this is an upset I can live with.

What I basically think is that almost all powerful international countries' men teams are missing something crucial: willpower. Like Iceland. They pulled something off against France that I did actually not expect after such a score deficit. They kept fighting no matter what. Albeit quite pointless, they managed to get two goals in not necessarily to win, but to show that they're not afraid of their opponent and not giving up. A prime example of lacking that particular skillset is Brazil in the WC 2014 semi-finals, all they did after the second German goal was to hopelessly trudge around on the field. Germany tonight might have done more to catch back up, but in the end still lacked said skills and proficiency and their passes became chaotic, which allowed the overall dominance to shift over to the French.
Like, I dunno, willpower doesn't mean you'll have accurate, effective play under pressure, it just means you won't get lazy. Germany continued attacking after the 0-2 and only after like ten minutes did their passes start getting wobbly and rushed. I have no complaints.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #327 on: July 08, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »
I thought Germany played the better game but this is an upset I can live with.

Like, I dunno, willpower doesn't mean you'll have accurate, effective play under pressure, it just means you won't get lazy. Germany continued attacking after the 0-2 and only after like ten minutes did their passes start getting wobbly and rushed. I have no complaints.
Both teams were technically good, although I also think the Germans were slightly superior but only in the first half, at least that's how I'm seeing it. The German attacks seemed to have weakened in the second half and completely plunged into chaos the last few minutes.
I do think that actually skilled players like in the German, English or Brazilian teams could've done a lot better if they kept up their will to win. The reason why Brazil conceded 7 goals in that fateful semi-final is that they completely lost that will and hopes after two German goals, if they didn't, I'm fairly convinced that the outcome would've significantly differed from that 1-7, because they weren't actually bad players to begin with.
Sure, willpower alone isn't particularly useful, but if combined with actual skills it does work wonders.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #328 on: July 08, 2016, 11:17:08 AM »
Just to chime in, speaking of Brazil, today is the 8th July... the day Germany handed that absolute thrashing of Brazil 7-1. While the Germans are out of the Euros now, and major credit to France, it's certainly something people are not letting slip under their radar :V {Also still the first time ever Puppy actually watched a football match with me because she outright refused goals were going in that quickly}

Slightly back on top, who we all rooting for to win now? ^^

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #329 on: July 08, 2016, 01:37:54 PM »
I'm fine with either team, France or Portugal, winning the final, although I'll actually feel happy for the French to win the tournament as the host country's team.
We have been already thrashed on our own soil in the WC 2006 semi against Italy, so I'd be glad if France manages to go all the way through in Paris and see the French fans celebrate in patriotic joy.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:39:37 PM by Jimmy »