Author Topic: UEFA EURO 2016, anyone?  (Read 51284 times)

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
Re: UEFA EURO 2016, anyone?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
Wow I don't think I felt more desperate for a country as a neutral than I did for Iceland in the 93+' with the 2 free kicks. That goalkeeper needs a statue built starting immediately after his performance all game.

One of the crazy stats I saw on tv was "Chances" as of the 83': Portugal=23, Iceland=3 (1 in the 2nd half, which was of course the goal).

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
Wow I don't think I felt more desperate for a country as a neutral than I did for Iceland in the 93+' with the 2 free kicks. That goalkeeper needs a statue built starting immediately after his performance all game.

Yeah he was the player of the game. Birkir got super lucky with his goal, but Hannes was just on point the whole game.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 09:00:50 PM »
Not enough midfield control on Iceland's part, but the few chances they do create always lead to danger. The final score is seriously impressive for obvious reasons. Still, playing long balls upfield might not be a viable strategy for the entire tournament. Maybe things will be looking different against enemies that aren't Portugal. As for the Portugese, Andre Gomes was a much better player than Ronaldo today.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 09:12:11 PM »
What I like about the fans here is there's a cheerful utilitarianism to their support, like just getting there was the goal; they did that, so anything else is gravy. I think they take opportunities well, but don't make nearly enough to advance very far. No one seems to expect to, either. It's a pretty chill fandom.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 09:26:38 PM »
I think they take opportunities well, but don't make nearly enough to advance very far. No one seems to expect to, either. It's a pretty chill fandom.
A good attitute to have. I'd say Iceland have already exceeded all expectations by qualifying for the Euro in the first place. Still, the draw against Portugal was a huge step towards achieving something more. Even a single victory with Austria or Hungary should be enough to promote from the group, and they have already beaten stronger enemies than that in the qualifiers. And when you're in the knockout phase, anything can happen (remember Greece 2004). A beautiful story might be about to unfold.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Tengukami

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2016, 07:01:24 PM »
No, that was John Rogers, who is great. I just wrote a football news round-up. Our site is on fire today. Gotta bunch of articles all getting fine traffic.

Right now, I'm rooting for Albania, though with totally realistic expectations.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 07:11:36 PM »
Nice! Great job for you lot. Here's hoping it continues (and we continue getting incredible tweets on Saturday).

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 07:33:37 PM »
Albania's doing pretty well so far. For such an underdog, their game is remarkably based on retaining possession, short, technical passes and individual skill. Pretty enjoyable to watch. Maybe there's a chance for a major surprise.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2016, 07:52:06 PM »
I agree. And France by contrast are cavalier and careless. I didn't expect 0-0 at the half but yeah, Albania could get a chance here.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 08:34:12 PM »
Getting nervous. Of course Deschamps is trying to bury our hopes by letting Pogba and Griezmann in, but so far Albania is doing well to weather the storm. On a different note, we've had like 20 shots so far and still none on target? I wonder if this goes on for the entire match.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2016, 08:44:27 PM »
83' France is playing like a group of individual showboaters, while Albania is playing like a team. These corners make me nervous.

89' HELV?TIS FRAKKAR
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:50:40 PM by Tengukami »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
Jeez. What a heartbreaker for Albania.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2016, 08:57:33 PM »
Sigh. Why must these things happen?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2016, 09:00:07 PM »
It's funny that I'm almost more shocked by France's win today than Iceland's tie yesterday. France's only 2 shots on target were the two late goals; you really can't say they "deserved" this win based on how they looked the first 88 minutes. Albania made only 1 defensive mistake all game and that was the one that gave up the goal at 89; otherwise they did a great job. Heartbreaking way to lose of you're them.

1CC List (all shmups)

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2016, 04:09:34 PM »
So England and Wales had their match today...

I watched it because I was going to laugh if Wales beat England... and going 1-0 up looked like it would. But no, ended up laughing because England copied Russia and scored in the 91st minute...
Finished Wales 1 - England 2

... This group is going to end in a weird way; though I'm certain Russia will finish bottom regardless of what happens in the next matches :V
{Also, it's the first time England have ever came from behind to win in an Euro game; that's just kind of bad XD }

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2016, 04:53:34 PM »
As much as I'd prefer a different result, I say England deserved the win though. They were clearly superior in the second half. Too bad Wales couldn't keep it up.

And wow, Ukraine sure is hopeless so far. What happened to the team that actually posed a threat to Germany?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »
I'm pretty excited about Germany v. Poland, myself. Knowing little about either time, I can't help but root for Poland.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2016, 05:04:16 PM »
I'm pretty excited about Germany v. Poland, myself. Knowing little about either time, I can't help but root for Poland.
Personally I'm convinced we will lose, but perhaps it's my pessimism speaking.

We (the Poles) consider Germany to be our great football rival ever since World War II that one 1974 match. It was the World Cup semifinal played in completely ridiculous conditions: there was a downpour right before the match and the ball would constantly stop dead in huge pools of rain water. West Germany won by sheer luck, probably depriving us of an eventual World Cup triumph. Any match against Germany is a very significant event for our nation, even for people who normally don't even watch sports.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
NIR 2-0 UKR

What a crazy game. Rain, hail, ref taking players off the field due to the hail, crazy substitution hilarity with the refs having no idea what's going on, and it all ends with Northern Ireland's sub crossing the ball into the box in the last 20 seconds instead of taking it into the corner (despite every announcer and fan screaming to do just that) but next thing you know they get the rebound after the first shot is blocked and get a huge +1 overall goal differential at the whistle.

Crazy. Game.

1CC List (all shmups)

Tengukami

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2016, 06:05:18 PM »
World War II

Almost the whole reason why I'm supporting Poland. That, and my mom's mom was from Poland, and there are no Germans in our family. Blood before beer!

17' Poland looking pretty dangerous here.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:19:47 PM by Tengukami »

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2016, 07:53:53 PM »
Can't say it's a particularly exciting match so far. Both teams are fairly unconvincing. Germany's hogging the ball but can't do much with it, while we struggle with getting the ball in the first place. However, we sure can hope either Oezil or Khedira will be forced into committing another tactical foul, resutling in a red card.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 08:02:34 PM »
Germany annoys me. Putzing around with the ball, and those aforementioned tactical fouls.

90+' Shit game.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:52:41 PM by Tengukami »

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2016, 09:00:50 PM »
So apparently solid defending was enough to neutralize the German threat completely. Totally happy with the result, because it both basically guarantees our promotion to the knockout stage and proves we can hold our own against a very strong team. Heck, we should have won this one, but Milik failed to hit the ball straight when gifted with two golden opportunities. And yes, the Germans were annoying, completely ineffectual and far from their usual magic. Something tells me they won't be winning this tournament. They might still win this group and defeat a 3rd place team in the 1/8th, but a team like Italy should be able to defeat Germany easily in the quarterfinal. Well, maybe not exactly "easily", but you get my point.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:10:38 PM by navpirx »
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2016, 06:39:16 AM »
Turkey has one hell of an assignment today vs Spain. They need to win if they want to secure their road to last 16. A tie is unwanted and risky, considering we're talking about Spain here.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2016, 03:16:48 PM »
I guess the Euro 2016 so far can be summed up as the tournament of surprises nobody expects, seeing, most prominently, the victories of Wales against Slovakia and Northern Ireland against the Ukraine, and, not to forget, the tie between Iceland and Portugal.
The Icelander as new participants in the tournament sure were standing strong, good luck against Hungary and Austria!  ;)
And those last minute goals were legit surprises. (Italy just scored a late one against Sweden, 88').

Nonetheless, I, as a German, gotta say that yesterday's match against Poland was mildly disappointing. I've expected so much from the usual top players such as M?ller and Hummels, and ?zil, Kroos and Khedira had potential too, but sadly didn't deliver it.
The missed chance by Milik right in front of the open goal surprised me good, that should've went in.
The only ones I was enjoying watching were Neuer, pretty much my fave goalie, although I'm seeing a general increase of all goalkeepers' skills within the world cups and euros, and Boateng. His defensive maneuver against the Ukraine in 36' was really risky, and he did well against Poland too. Sad thing is that their offensive play weakened quite a bit compared to the Ukraine, what likely is a reason why this match only resulted in a tie. Hope that L?w comes up with a better lineup against Northern Ireland, and doesn't underestimate them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:28:30 PM by Jimmy »
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2016, 05:25:50 PM »
I'm ashamed to admit i didn't even think about checking if there was an Euro 2016 thread until now....

First off, thoughts about my own team: the match against Belgium was a surprise, i was convinced they would OWN us and yet Italy played somewhat well with what we had available (and Belgium's mediocre play helped).

The match against Sweden..... oh hello usual Italy, i was almost worried  ::)  Utterly blocked match, a draw was the rightful result but if there HAD to be a winner then i feel we deserved more simply because we at least made a few dangerous attacks, while Sweden did practically nothing (the only serious threat was in offside to begin with).
I could have done without the pathetic yellow card to waste 10 more seconds on the clock >_>

Well, considering the ridiculously low expectations i had for our team i'm already satisfied.  :V

As for the others, i'm totally rooting for Iceland! Really hope they get as far as possible, i like them in the same vein i liked Leicester in the last Premier League ^_^

As for the "big teams" i'm a representative of the average Italian supporter:
Spain, please get rekt
France, please get rekt
Brazil, please get rekt
Germany..... WE ARE WAITING FOR YOU WITH OPEN ARMS :D

Seriously, after Italy i'm rooting for Germany as final winner..... we just CAN'T dislike them
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:32:38 PM by Espadas »

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2016, 05:58:21 PM »
I can't believe the Czechs actually managed to equalize. Or rather, that Croatia managed to let the victory slip out of their hands. The match was so one-sided!
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »
Late Goal Championships 2016 continues!

It says a lot when a 93' penalty wasn't even the craziest thing that happened at the end of the game. What the fuck is going on with security?! One thing the article doesn't have (yet) is that it appears that a steward nearly got his head blown off when he bent down to pick up something from the field, only for it to be (I believe) a FUCKING EXPLOSIVE FIRECRACKER! Again, what the fuck?!

1CC List (all shmups)

Smashy

• :V tank
  • ᕦ(? Д?)ᕤ
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »
Watching it live, I legit thought it was going to get worse after that explosion  :ohdear: And I don't mean in the way that it did for Croatia.