Author Topic: Ask A Staffer Edda 11 - Nobu  (Read 55074 times)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Re: Ask A Staffer Edda 11 - Nobu
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2011, 07:29:50 AM »
What's the dumbest thing you've ever done?

What's the craziest thing you've ever done?

What's the smartest thing you've ever done?

What's your crowning moment of awesome?

What would you like to achieve, as a human being?

I'll have to think about those for a bit. My brain is kinda mush right now, and nothing interesting stands out in my mind. But I can list some desired achievements at least.

Become a world-renown scientist/philosopher/polyglot/awesome person, have my own Wikipedia page, get interviewed by Terry Gross on NPR, be interesting enough to have a story on The Story (NPR again), become fluent in multiple languages, do parkour, play multiple instruments well, do some awesome cosplays... the list goes on and on.

So why do you like me better than the rest of these hose brains, eh?

How do you approach problems when moderating?

When am I getting those scandalous pictures?

If you could change one rule in the forum, what would it be?

What kinda games you like?

When you gonna get over here and kiss me, ya big lug?

Because I judge people entirely by the size of their post count. Now c'mere, ya big lug.

I approach problems through two questions. First, 'What actions can be taken that will reach the desired outcome?" Rules and prior precedent are good heuristics to go by, but can't just be applied wantonly and blindly without at least chewing on the individual case for a bit. Second, "Which action would be result in the lightest affront on all sides, while still being effective?"

When I take them. Maybe after ACen. :P

One rule? Hmm... probably the image size/dimensions limitation to be a little bit higher or not set in stone so there's a little bit of flexibility depending on the individual case. Keeping the current dimension rules but bumping up the image size limits to 500kb or something. Frequenting Tumblr has conditioned me to love the spontaneous animated GIF. :derp: 

As for games, I love RPGs (especially Tactical RPGs), fighting games (when I actually have people to play against who take things seriously, and I get beyond the complete noob phase), and whatever genre Monster Hunter counts as. Also rhythm games like Pop'n, IIDX, DDR, etcetera.

Look behind you.  :yukkuri:

When won't you not want to not do nothing?

How many "bu"s are in your name anyways Nobubububububububububububububububububu(bu)?

Always.

The most iterations of 'bu' I've ever used in anything remotely serious is two.

What would you say is the most annoying sound in the world, that would motivate you to stop whatever you're doing and pour all effort into finding out WTF it is and how to stop it from continuing?

I don't know! I can tune things out pretty well. Perhaps if someone was inscribing the Magna Carta on a chalkboard using a fork nearby.

SEVEN AM WAKIN UP IN THE MORNING GOTTA BE FRESH GOTTA GO DOWNSTAIRS

asfasdfadsf goddammit I JUST got it out of my head too

Am I in it?

Unfortunately there were no example sentences in this paper, so I couldn't put you in. Don't worry, there are a lot more papers in my future.

^

We haven't talked in a while :derp:

I hate these questions because I don't know how to answer them most of the time. You're asking for me to turn my intangible disposition and feelings towards you into word form.

I hate translating for my heart because I never get the words right.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2011, 07:55:47 AM »
I wouldn't. Because I wouldn't want to be responsible for the consequences, and there are no guarantees that I didn't make things worse in the grand scheme of things due to the butterfly effect.
Oh, please, what could possibly go different if you tell Philip of Spain to send the Spanish Armada over the English Channel a week in advance? :derp:

Any hobbies?
Favourite flower, if any? The daisy on your head doesn't count
How pleased are you with the education you've completed up 'till now, and where would you like to take it in the future?

Drake

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2011, 07:58:19 AM »

?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »
What would you say is the most informative course you've taken in your educational career?

Do you have any other cosplay plans for future conventions?

How has your opinion of me changed since the first topic I posted here? And on a related note, what is your opinion of Brave New World?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2011, 08:24:28 AM »
Best draft common in every set you are familiar with from Ravnica and before. Treat each set as a lone draft pool e.g. CS-CS-CS or 5D-5D-5D.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »
Favorite book? American Gods is definitely up there, and i'm a sucker for the old Redwall series that I read back in Jr. High. Loved Harry Potter, and I have a large booklist to catch up on. Any recommendations for must reads?

I won't lie, I'm pretty terrible at keeping up with books myself. I usually just go :effort: and screw around on the computer to pass the time, so I end up reading more educational/boring books than I do for entertainment. This is one of the things I'm trying to improve on. However, I did recall liking Moby Dick as a kid. And at the moment I'm trying to read through Lord of the Flies and the discworld series.

Why Suwako?
There's a zombie apocalypse. You must choose three MotK members for to accompany you for your survival party. Who do you choose and why?
Got a favorite weapon or fighting style?
Least favorite animal?

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2011, 06:04:40 PM »
Would you support adding a symbol for the nasal ingressive voiceless velar trill to the IPA? The proposed symbol is the double-dot wide-O:

Spoiler:
Do you know a better linguistics joke than the above one?

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2011, 03:29:22 AM »
Any hobbies?
Favourite flower, if any? The daisy on your head doesn't count
How pleased are you with the education you've completed up 'till now, and where would you like to take it in the future?

Cooking, socializing, enjoying peoples company, reading, drawing, smokin phat blunts wit mah homies 420 whut whut. Video games, the usual stuff. When I get pet rats again, caring for those. :3

It's not a daisy, it's a snake gourd flower Actually, the snake gourd flower is probably my favorite. It's so cool looking!

Education could have been better, could have been worse. Probably would have learned more if I payed more attention or committed myself to classes more, but I learned what I needed to learn. I look forward to learning more about specifically the things i'm interested in, and taking those to their boundaries and forging my own path ahead for other people to learn from. :3

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,9291.msg618322.html#msg618322

?

Pfffffhahaha, the boob grab was too much for imageshack I guess, dumb 403s. Though compared to some of the stuff I have on my own imageshack, pretty tame.

Also dammit for finding my sekrets. >:( I knew it'd have to be you of all people (I did link you to that one site after all).

What would you say is the most informative course you've taken in your educational career?

Do you have any other cosplay plans for future conventions?

How has your opinion of me changed since the first topic I posted here? And on a related note, what is your opinion of Brave New World?

My linguistic anthropology courses. I learned so much about the interesting questions you can ask when considering looking at humans through the dual lens of language and culture.

I don't have any concrete plans but there's a lot of things I'd like to cosplay. Hopefully once I manage to increase my trap level further and can do a more convincing job of things. :]

And I'd hope so, since keeping the exact same opinion of someone as the first time you've encountered them is kinda lame and/or impossible. Also don't really know what Brave New World is.

Best draft common in every set you are familiar with from Ravnica and before. Treat each set as a lone draft pool e.g. CS-CS-CS or 5D-5D-5D.

Ravnica: Last Gasp.
Coldsnap: OH GOD I REMEMBER DRAFTING THIS. Snow matters, ahaha. :v Either Ronom Hulk or Gelid Shackles.
Unhinged (Yes I've drafted this before!): Saute, or Super Size.
Mirrodin: Bonesplitter
Onslaught: Break Open Solar Blast

And I didn't really draft any other sets before. I didn't start hardcore drafting until Ravnica, sooo..

I won't lie, I'm pretty terrible at keeping up with books myself. I usually just go :effort: and screw around on the computer to pass the time, so I end up reading more educational/boring books than I do for entertainment. This is one of the things I'm trying to improve on. However, I did recall liking Moby Dick as a kid. And at the moment I'm trying to read through Lord of the Flies and the discworld series.

Why Suwako?
There's a zombie apocalypse. You must choose three MotK members for to accompany you for your survival party. Who do you choose and why?
Got a favorite weapon or fighting style?
Least favorite animal?

Lord of the Flies is pretty good. Read that in high school.

Answered this already! http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,9291.msg618322.html#msg618322

Hmm.... MJP, because he's basically Gordon Freeman. Plus he'd come with triangles which would be bonus! As for the other two... Its a secret! :3

Due to Monster Hunter i'm partial to hammers, have always loved swords, and I also love me some halberds as well.

Jellyfish. Their sole reason for existing is to scare me away from the ocean. Floating translucent stinging bastards.

Would you support adding a symbol for the nasal ingressive voiceless velar trill to the IPA? The proposed symbol is the double-dot wide-O:

Spoiler:
Do you know a better linguistics joke than the above one?

Pfft. http://lingcod.tumblr.com/ is a great source. Here are a few of my personal favorites. (a number of which are pretty obscure and i'd love anyone who got a chuckle outta them)

« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2011, 03:36:15 AM »
I read XKCD, Penny Arcade, and El Goonish Shive, but I'm terrible at staying updated for most webcomics with the exception of Homestuck.

What, stop checking EGS for a month and he's only got two comics up, can it really be that hard?

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2011, 03:47:34 AM »
What, stop checking EGS for a month and he's only got two comics up, can it really be that hard?

That's the thing. I stop checking on a regular basis and then forget about it. To be fair to Dan Shive, looks like he's been updating pretty regularly these days. :V

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2011, 03:56:02 AM »
Yeah I forgot about it for like a year so I can't really say much :V

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2011, 03:56:28 AM »

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2011, 03:59:05 AM »
Also dammit for finding my sekrets. >:( I knew it'd have to be you of all people (I did link you to that one site after all).

it's FA isn't it? :trollface:
Did you do anything for Easter?
Got any favorite animez/visual novels?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2011, 04:32:46 AM »
What alcoholic beverage makes you the least sick the following morning?
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2011, 05:09:37 AM »
I don't think this question has been asked yet (and I don't know the answer anyway)

How long have you been into Pokemon and what got you into it?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2011, 06:02:31 AM »
Who is more moe between Grice and Austin, and why?

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2011, 09:37:49 AM »
Godzilla, Mothra, or Gamorah?

King Kong, T-rex, or Dracula bat swarm?

X-ray vision, heat vision, or super-hearing?

Cape, cowl, or barechested?

Sidekick, animal familiar, or lone-wolf?

Flying, super-fast running, or super-fast swimming?

Onions, carrots, or celery?

Your favorite number.

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »
How did Sefam get permabanned? Just curious.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »

it's FA isn't it? :trollface:
Did you do anything for Easter?
Got any favorite animez/visual novels?

:<

I cooked grilled salmon, asparagus mushroom stir fry, and baked red potato slices with chives for my mom and aunt. And stressed out over a paper due the next day. :V

Anime: Gurren Lagann and Slayers
VN: F/SN and Tsukihime.

What alcoholic beverage makes you the least sick the following morning?

I haven't found one that makes me more sick than others, but tequila surprisingly makes me not-so-sick (unless i'm still drunk the next day). The worst hangovers i've ever had are from getting drunk off beer, which is why I prefer hard liquor if I choose to drink.

I don't think this question has been asked yet (and I don't know the answer anyway)

How long have you been into Pokemon and what got you into it?

Since Pokemon Blue came out. I got into it, because well, I got Pokemon Blue and the series hooked me from there. Also Misty. >__>

Who is more moe between Grice and Austin, and why?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Godzilla, Mothra, or Gamorah?

King Kong, T-rex, or Dracula bat swarm?

X-ray vision, heat vision, or super-hearing?

Cape, cowl, or barechested?

Sidekick, animal familiar, or lone-wolf?

Flying, super-fast running, or super-fast swimming?

Onions, carrots, or celery?

Your favorite number.

Godzilla. That guy is a BAMF.

King Kong would probably win. That guy is strong as hell.

X-Ray Vision. :3

Cape! Love capes.

Animal familiar.

How is this even a question of course flying

Onions are more versatile I think, and I eat them more often (though I don't eat raw ones at all!)

420. Pff. Seriously though, I don't think there's a particular number i'm attached to. Maybe my bank account pin number, because it results in money. :D

How did Sefam get permabanned? Just curious.

We actually don't like to advertise or announce it when people get probated/banned/etcetera, or just sharing information about what someone did that wasn't in the public eye already. It's a privacy issue and a baseline respect of not turning the people who've wronged into public spectacles. So we usually ignore/turn away requests of information of that type for the "just curious". It's a balancing issue of respecting privacy and not catering to gawkers, but providing ressurance to people who suspect foul play involved on the staff's part.

Usually there'll be at least a little quip in a person's personal text/custom title that hints at why a person was acted upon though. Hopefully it's enough to satisfy your curiosity, because I'm not at liberty to divulge any more information. Sorry.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2011, 04:52:11 PM »
What music do you usually listen to?

Fav bands and songs? What about movie and game soundtracks? (besides Touhou, duh)
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
H.P. Grice and J. L. Austin

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »
What is the source of your avatar? :3

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »
How many times have you accidentally caused a fire? How many of these times have it involved igniting your own person?

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2011, 05:14:11 PM »
How good are you at word games-- Scrabble, crossword puzzles, and word searches and the like?

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
Favorite way to drink anything- With Ice, Without Ice, Slushie, Hot, In Can, In Bottle, In Cup etc?

Type looking at keyboard or looking at screen or with your feet?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2011, 07:07:47 PM »
Cyberpunk or Steampunk?

Coke or Pepsi?

Spielberg or Tarantino?

Brown or Ludlum? Do not disappoint me now.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
Shame for Sefam.

And yes, that did satisfy my curiosity.

In any note, why Nobu?

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »
What music do you usually listen to?

Fav bands and songs? What about movie and game soundtracks? (besides Touhou, duh)

Peeking at my Blackberry playlist I have Homestuck soundtracks, Ar Tonelico 3, Initial D Battle Stage's soundtrack, both of E.S. Posthumus's albums, Muse's Discography, a couple of albums by Spoon, and a few Touhou albums. It's getting a little stale so I'll probably change it up. I listen to almost everything not rap and country.

E.S. Posthumus does a lot of movie trailer stuff and does some of my favorite stuff. Game soundtracks-wise, FFT is probably still my longtime favorite.

H.P. Grice and J. L. Austin

I'm actually not familiar with either of them, surely due to not having taken any language philosophy courses (or really any philosophy courses at all). Though I hope to remedy that down the line.

What is the source of your avatar? :3

All in due time, child. :derp:

How many times have you accidentally caused a fire? How many of these times have it involved igniting your own person?

One time that I remember substantially, though I wasn't really the direct cause. My PC caught on fire while I was sleeping (my guess is a faulty fan shorted out and sparked a blaze). Woke up to the PC under my computer desk on fire, and luckily put it out before the desk caught. I've also had a couple of incidents in the past with gas grills and singing some of my bangs from poof exploding. :x

How good are you at word games-- Scrabble, crossword puzzles, and word searches and the like?

I'M GOOD AT EVERYTHING I'd like to think i'm adequate, just don't play them that often so its hard to say. Not so good at crosswords, and don't like them particularly much either.

Favorite way to drink anything- With Ice, Without Ice, Slushie, Hot, In Can, In Bottle, In Cup etc?

Type looking at keyboard or looking at screen or with your feet?

Ice cold, usually with ice. I like canned beverages the best.

I use my feet to look at the screen.

Cyberpunk or Steampunk?

Coke or Pepsi?

Spielberg or Tarantino?

Brown or Ludlum? Do not disappoint me now.

I think I like steampunk a bit better.

Coke.

Spielberg.

Nope, not familiar with either. :fail:

In any note, why Nobu?

I received it as a nickname years and years ago when I met someone who thought I looked like Nobu from Battle Royale, and the name stuck among that group. The nickname was contagious, and eventually spread beyond that group to a good chunk of my friends, and it's to the point where i'm more used to it than my actual name. So it was a natural thing to start using the nickname online as well.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2011, 11:27:46 PM »
Nobu how did I know you would be the sort to dang near accidentally set yourself on fire?

Describe your conceptualization or God/s, or lack thereof.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2011, 05:15:21 AM »
Favorite incense

Favorite sandwich

Favorite fruit

Favorite superhero

Favorite pizza topping

Favorite favorite