Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Ep. 8 - :ohdear: Edition - TSO  (Read 92331 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Ask a Staffer Ep. 8 - :ohdear: Edition - TSO
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »
How do you feel about the term "fly-over states"? What about the entire "red state/blue state" paradigm?

Is there any other country in the world where you'd live? How about countries you'd visit?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 04:25:33 PM »
Are you the only Idiot Deity in MoTK or is there someone else? Is there a limit to a number of ID's at any given time?

What's the "I am YELLOW" rank?

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »
How can I be hypercompetent?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2011, 05:13:26 PM »
How did you get into Nanoha?

What books would you like to read, but haven't gotten around to doing so?

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2011, 05:47:39 PM »
Many people have asked about the worst event on MoTK.
For you, what is the BEST event in MoTK history?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2011, 06:40:57 PM »
ever felt guilty for an event that caused trouble for someone you care for? elaborate
All the time.  I don't like people getting in trouble on my behalf because of my actions, let alone people I care about.  I can't cite any specific instances off the top of my head but I've had quite a few over the years.

You have a youtube account? If you do have, do you have some DoW2 matches I can watch? I'm interested to see why you are top 50.
I don't but I can definitely take replays and record them.  I've thought about livestreaming while I play but I didn't know if anyone would be interested in watching me play :derp:

Favorite weird foreign food? (Weird, I mean, like Duck fetuses or street food)
I've had alligator jerky before, and I have a scorpion lollipop waiting for me to get enough courage to eat it :V  I'll try almost anything, I'm pretty openminded when it comes to eating strange stuff.

Specs on your Desktop/Laptop?
.... which one? lol.  All of my boxes excluding the laptops and my mom's desktop are custom built by me.

Desktop - Suou
Core i7 920 @ 4.11GHz, 6GB DDR3, GTX465, 64GB SSD + 2x 320GB HDDs for data, Bluray drive, dual Dell U2311H (23in 1920x1080) monitors.  Running Windows 7 + Debian in a guest VM under VMWare Server (for programming/testing MotK stuff)

Laptop - Yin
Asus UL30VT-X1K, Core 2 Duo SU7300, 4GB DDR3, G210M + crappy onboard Intel, 64GB SSD, 13.3in screen at 1366x768.  Also running Windows 7.

Server - Yurika (retired MotK server)
Athlon X2 3800+, 4GB DDR, 6x1.5TB HDDs with a 2GB CF card for boot/OS.  Currently running FreeBSD 7.3 but planning on upgrading it to 8.1 sometime this weekend.

Media box - Darla (Finding Nemo)
Phenom II X2 560, 4GB DDR3, HD5570, 500GB HDD, Bluray drive.  Windows 7.

Then there's my mom's desktop and laptop, my sister's desktop, my older brother's desktop and laptop, my younger brothers' machine, and my dad's two work machines, and a spare box and so on and so on.  Basically my older brother gets my last desktop guts, then my little brothers get his old stuff (which was my old stuff 2 gens ago).  I think I have enough PCs in my house :V

Do you have any allergies?
I'm allergic to hydrocortizones, and I have a contact allergy to some types of grass, but other than that I'm not really like sneezy/etc to stuff.  I dunno if it counts as an allergy but most decongestants give me seriously high blood pressure, which is bad because I have to take them often for my ear problems.

How do you think the automobile industry is doing, in regards to fuel consumption and safety?
Safety I think it couldn't be any better at this moment.  The last major fiasco we had with auto safety was what, the Firestone tire blowout issue back in the 90s?  The throttle thing with Toyota ended up being a very isolated incident, with most caused by driver error than any actual hard fault of the car.

As for fuel consumption, we've had the technology for extremely efficient cars for decades.  The problem is the consumer isn't buying them.  Even with gas at almost $4/gallon people are still buying gas guzzling SUVs.  2010 was the first time since the fuel crisis in the 70s where miles driven actually decreased.  I think until people get serious about gas consumption it's going to be this case for a long time.  People just don't see it as that big of a deal.  I myself always look towards fuel economy when I look at a car.  My last car got 32 MPG and my current one gets 29-30.

Potentially invasive: When did you first feel like you were in the wrong body?
I've always felt different, even as a child I was acutely aware that I held far more in common with girls than boys.  I was probably 7 or 8 when I started seriously crossdressing, well before puberty.

Have you ever eaten this? :V
To be honest, I've never had it up until 2 weeks ago.  I didn't really care for it but to be honest I was sick that day.  I felt like I was going to puke shortly after lunch so I don't think I gave it a fair shake.

How do you feel about the term "fly-over states"? What about the entire "red state/blue state" paradigm?
I fully agree with fly-over states.  There's really not much here in the midwest.  Unless you're near an urban area, it's just miles of corn and wheat and cows.  It's beautiful in places but it absolutely sucks for creature comforts or any sort of trapping of modern civilization.  As for the red state/blue state paradigm, I don't think the divide is as deep as the talking heads like to portray it as. 

I think on a basic level (excusing some social rights issues), we're all about on the same page, it's just the talking heads like to drum it up as an us vs them in order to push ratings and try to stir controversy.  We all want to protect jobs, we all want workers rights and other things, it just depends on who got in trouble for what scandal the last election which way the state swings.  Texas is probably the only area that is securely Republican, everywhere else has swung between the two parties depending on who fucked up last.

That being said there's still a lot of growing the south and the midwest have to do.  Racism is still a big issue in the Deep South and I doubt we'll get gay and immigrant rights in the "red states" anytime soon.  Ohio is in a weird state where we have the highest percentage of gay people in the country (higher than the bay area), yet our state is so very homophobic.  We passed our anti gay marriage amendment with a 3/4ths majority, and signed into law making discrimination on gender orientation an unprotected status.

Is there any other country in the world where you'd live? How about countries you'd visit?
Live?  Probably Canada or anywhere in Europe.  While I'd like to live in Japan or Korea, I know how hard it is as a foreigner to live there so I'm not sure I'd be able to make it.  To visit?  Oh any where really.  Southeast Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, etc) in particular I'd like to visit someday, and definitely South America.

Are you the only Idiot Deity in MoTK or is there someone else? Is there a limit to a number of ID's at any given time?
Well according to this, I guess I am the only ID at the moment.  There's a limit of 3 at any given time.  The Cirno account is a gag account for the staff (complete with member ID of 9).

What's the "I am YELLOW" rank?
Directly equivalent to ID, was created as a special group for Suwako Moriya, Kilga's sockpuppet account.  Nemoma was given it as well as an apology for her unfortunate role in the AFDay events.

How can I be hypercompetent?
Sell your soul to the Changer of Ways, and he will grant you power beyond your comprehension.

How did you get into Nanoha?
A good friend of mine linked me the show and I absolutely adored it from the start.  The first season definitely started slow but it got me hooked when Fate arrived.  A's was probably the first show I eagerly tried to follow weekly.

What books would you like to read, but haven't gotten around to doing so?
Honestly, a big reason why I haven't read much is I don't know where to start :(  I'd like to have some recommendations of things I need to give a try if you could ><;

Many people have asked about the worst event on MoTK.
For you, what is the BEST event in MoTK history?
The reset probably.  The only major change in MotK history that actually went over more or less smoothly (well, minus the crippling bugs we had for a while).  It was a reset the community desperately needed, and a cathartic one at that.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »
AFD event? Can you please elaborate?

I'm seriously confused at you right now. ARE YOU REALLY A BOY OR A GIRL?

Sorry for the confusion.

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »
You've played Sakura Taisen, right? Which one was your favourite game, and why?

Honestly, a big reason why I haven't read much is I don't know where to start :(  I'd like to have some recommendations of things I need to give a try if you could ><;
Any particular genre preferences?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2011, 07:19:23 PM »
You named your hardware Suou and Yin. I demand your participation in Darker than Black Mafia.

Gramity

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »
did someone ever confessed to you ?
-> rejected?

would you be shy if it happen (again) in the near future?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2011, 08:34:48 PM »
AFD event? Can you please elaborate?
I'd rather not.

I'm seriously confused at you right now. ARE YOU REALLY A BOY OR A GIRL?
A girl :|  It's in my profile and so far several people have told you this.  Does it really matter?  Why do you persist on demanding an explanation :/

You've played Sakura Taisen, right? Which one was your favourite game, and why?
It's been forever since I've played them but ST3 (the Paris one) definitely stuck out as my favorite.  The setting stuck to me better than the Imperial Troupe.  And I absolutely adore Erica <3 <3 <3

Any particular genre preferences?
I'll read almost anything.  Anything you think that's good I'm willing to give a shot BV

You named your hardware Suou and Yin. I demand your participation in Darker than Black Mafia.
God I haven't played mafiers in years and I'm not sure if I want to start that all over again :|

did someone ever confessed to you ?
-> rejected?

would you be shy if it happen (again) in the near future?
Noone's ever confessed to me no, mostly because I've never really actively sought out romantic relationships or looked like I was available.  If I was confessed to, I honestly don't know how I'd handle it.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

theshirn

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2011, 09:28:42 PM »
Have you read anything by Terry Pratchett?  If so, which is your favorite?  If not, what is the absolute soonest you can pick up a copy of Guards! Guards!, because it's the first Vimes book and Vimes is possibly the best fictional character in existence?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2011, 09:34:51 PM »
What music act do you enjoy that most people here would be surprised to learn you enjoy?

Name a life event that made you more aware of who you are, i.e., made you realize something about your personality that you hadn't noticed before.

Let's say I wanted to visit Ohio. What is the one thing I absolutely must see?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2011, 09:45:44 PM »
If there is one bit of serious life advice you could give everyone here, what would it be?

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2011, 10:30:41 PM »

the border on the way out

What sort of policies would you find important for the area you live in?
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »
How do you feel about studying mathematics? (Whether it's applied math or pure math)

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2011, 10:43:50 PM »
Can you play the piano?

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Do you believe in fate?

theshirn

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2011, 10:54:08 PM »
Do you believe in Fate?

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2011, 11:45:17 PM »
why do you keep insisting on worshiping idra

Gramity

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2011, 11:58:50 PM »
Favorite color?

some hobbys ?

plannig to live in a house,appartement,mansion or castle ? last tow were jokes but who knows ^_^ I want to live in a huge mansion

:V I want to join the programmer staff :V

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2011, 12:25:16 AM »
I know you have to be an aviation nut by the patches on your bag.  What's your opinion:  Boeing vs. Airbus?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2011, 12:37:45 AM »
Did your dad ever meet anyone on the U.S.S. Douglas? (She was a patrol gunboat, active in the seventies, and was my dad's ship)

What's your favorite physical location in Gensokyo?

What's the highest achievement you hope to have in life as a scholar? As a human being?

I'll put you on the list of people interested in the room. :3 It'd be nice having another lady here, my brother's girlfriend is the only one right now.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2011, 02:57:06 AM »
Have you read anything by Terry Pratchett?  If so, which is your favorite?  If not, what is the absolute soonest you can pick up a copy of Guards! Guards!, because it's the first Vimes book and Vimes is possibly the best fictional character in existence?
I've never read any Pratchett books.  I've been seriously considering an ebook reader of some sort so I'll definitely put it on my list.

What music act do you enjoy that most people here would be surprised to learn you enjoy?
Heavy metal and a lot of classical rock.  Give me Rush or Iron Maiden or Def Leppard any day.  I enjoy a good headbang now and then.

Name a life event that made you more aware of who you are, i.e., made you realize something about your personality that you hadn't noticed before.
Hmm... I have to say my junior year of high school, right after we moved I was getting into the new school, and like usual my dad was trying to push me into doing football.  I had wanted to do marching band when I first entered high school but I wasn't really given much of a choice and ended up doing football my two years in Maryland.  But this was a new school, and I was determined  to finally do what I wanted to do, but at the same time I didn't want to disappoint my parents.  I eventually earned up the courage to tell him what I really wanted to do, and after a long talk, he gave me his blessing and I began marching band.  At that point I realized that I needed to choose what I wanted to do in life, not let my parents tell me what to do.  I had stood up to my dad and in the end I didn't get struck down like I feared.  After that point, the relationship with my parents changed.  I was no longer doing stuff to please them.  For a while I kind of floundered around with no clue or motivation but eventually I learned how to walk my own path instead of the path others laid for me.

There's not much here to be honest.  On the short list of things I'd say you'd absolutely have to see would be the Rock and Roll Museum in Cleveland.  Cedar Point and King's Island are two fantastic theme parks if that's your thing.  We have the Pro Football Hall of Fame but it's pretty meh to be honest even as a football fan.  The Columbus Zoo is one of the best in the world.  We have Muirfield, one of, if not the most prestigious golf course in America.  There's a couple of local dives that make some very good food (the Thurmanator for example).  And every year we have the Arnold Fitness Expo but that's honestly kind of creepy ._____.  Oh I guess we had Gencon last year and we're a Major League Gaming city. 

I can't really pin one thing that is absolutely hands down the one thing you have to see above all else.  Nothing against Ohio, there's just not much here that I would say you have to see once in your lifetime.

If there is one bit of serious life advice you could give everyone here, what would it be?
You only have one life, don't be afraid to take a wild shot at something, especially while you're young and you have nothing tying you down.

the border on the way out

What sort of policies would you find important for the area you live in?
LGBT rights are the only think I'm really concerned about.  I don't have kids so there's not much else I'm concerned on.  A good school system would be nice if I do end up going into education.

How do you feel about studying mathematics? (Whether it's applied math or pure math)
I LOVE math.  I studied it endlessly.  I was in college calculus my junior year of high school because I loved math so much :V  I worked out vector calculations and taught myself some basic stats so I could get better at Pangya and Starcraft/Supreme Commander >>;;.  Now would I choose it as a primary field of study?  I'm not sure, I think that ends up being far too much in the theoretical realm for me.  I like the physical sciences because there's an actual product you can directly observe in some sort of manner.

Can you play the piano?
No ;_____; that's the one instrument I don't know.  I took piano lessons when I was little but I never really followed up on it.  I suppose I could teach myself fairly easily.

Where do you see yourself in five years?
Hopefully with my bachelor's degree in my hand and working on a doctorate.  Possibly married and well, more comfortable with my personal situation.

Do you believe in fate?
That's an interesting question.  Do I believe we're all here for a reason?  I do.  Do I believe we all have a set destiny?  In some sort of fashion, yes.  But in the end I think we ultimately have the final power over our lives.  Basically how I feel is that God put the pieces in motion for an eventuality, it's up to us to decide where we fall and what role we end up playing.  Like in the case of Judas, someone was bound to betray Jesus, and while Judas was "possessed by the Devil", he inevitably made the final decision to do it.  This is why I don't believe that God allows bad things to just happen.  He only put the natural laws in place, He doesn't dictate or control every single thing that happens in the Universe.

This is also why I feel we're not alone in the Universe.  God only created Man in His image in the sense that we have free will and the awareness to look beyond the "what" and wonder about the "how" and the "why".  He put the pieces in place for sentient life to eventually evolve, so if life can evolve here, why not anywhere else?  Hence what I meant about He set a general destiny, but leaves the details up to us.  Where you fall in the plan is completely up to you.

Do you believe in Fate?
Fate Testarossa <3 <3 <3

why do you keep insisting on worshiping idra
I can't help but love the Gracken.

Favorite color?
Any pastel really, but especially green and blue.

some hobbys ?
Computers and games of course, electronics, filmography, music (both listening and playing).  I also enjoy hiking and just exploring nature in general, although I haven't done that lately :(

plannig to live in a house,appartement,mansion or castle ? last tow were jokes but who knows ^_^ I want to live in a huge mansion
I honestly don't want that big of a house.  What matters to me more is the setting rather than the size.  I definitely need access to nature (and the Internet).

:V I want to join the programmer staff :V
Maybe, right now I like doing things on my own simply because I have so much I need to put into place.  Once things are in order I might start training some assistants.

I know you have to be an aviation nut by the patches on your bag.  What's your opinion:  Boeing vs. Airbus?
What, the US company that sold all of our aviation prowess away to the Chinese, or the European country that's more American than our own? :V  Seriously though, I'd have to say Boeing simply because I come from a military background and Boeing is all over the military.  My dad was part of the evaluation and shakedown competitions between the two JSF candidates as well as the initial F/A-18 Super Hornet carrier trials.  I got a chance to fly in the real combat simulator for the Super Hornet (and shot down my brother in a dogfight \o/).  That thing was so freaking sweet.

Did your dad ever meet anyone on the U.S.S. Douglas? (She was a patrol gunboat, active in the seventies, and was my dad's ship)
My dad was born in 1963 so.... I seriously doubt it :derp:  Sorry :ohdear:.

What's your favorite physical location in Gensokyo?
Probably Moriya Shrine.  I love the mountains so much <3

What's the highest achievement you hope to have in life as a scholar? As a human being?
In my dreams?  Nobel Prize :V.  Not for the recognition but because it represents that I've made a significant contribution to the furthering of human knowledge.  Realistically?  A nice family and a group of students I've successfully mentored and instilled the love of discovery and creativity into.  End goal I definitely want to be in education in some capacity.   If not music education then definitely one of the sciences.

I'll put you on the list of people interested in the room. :3 It'd be nice having another lady here, my brother's girlfriend is the only one right now.
:V I have a lot of things I need to sort out and decide but I'll definitely keep it on the table.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:02:30 AM by ♪ TheStupidOne ♫ »

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2011, 03:02:58 AM »
Have you watched the Triangle Heart 3 ~Sweet Songs Forever~ OVAs?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2011, 03:07:24 AM »
My dad was part of the evaluation and shakedown competitions between the two JSF candidates as well as the initial F/A-18 Super Hornet carrier trials.  I got a chance to fly in the real combat simulator for the Super Hornet (and shot down my brother in a dogfight \o/).  That thing was so freaking sweet.
Wow.  Okay, I'm not a little bit Parseeing over that.  >=[

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2011, 03:12:45 AM »
Have you watched the Triangle Heart 3 ~Sweet Songs Forever~ OVAs?
Actually no.  I know Nanoha is based on TriHeart but outside of Nanoha I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with the series.

Wow.  Okay, I'm not a little bit Parseeing over that.  >=[
:B

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2011, 04:27:09 AM »
Are you a good swimmer? If so, do you enjoy swimming?

Would you prefer a pool, a stream, or the beach for swimmins'?

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2011, 04:32:37 AM »

I LOVE math.  I studied it endlessly.  I was in college calculus my junior year of high school because I loved math so much :V  I worked out vector calculations and taught myself some basic stats so I could get better at Pangya and Starcraft/Supreme Commander >>;;.  Now would I choose it as a primary field of study?  I'm not sure, I think that ends up being far too much in the theoretical realm for me.  I like the physical sciences because there's an actual product you can directly observe in some sort of manner.

I feel that I should ask this follow-up: How far have you gotten in math when you were still in school? (Or at least your history of math courses.)

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »
As someone who plays a lot of RTS games, have you touched the Command & Conquer series? What regard do you hold it in compared to say, the original Starcraft or TA?

What's your opinion on Supreme Commander? Do you consider it to be a worthy successor to TA?

Would I be right to assume that A's is your favorite part of the Nanoha series?

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2011, 05:05:47 AM »
RIGHT THAT COMPLETELY ANSWERS EVERYTHING THANK YOU FOR THAT SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION ON THAT GIRL BOY THINGY.

Anyways, why Zerg? Out of all the races, why that?

Do you use an infrared mouse? If so, what is it?

What do you think is your most favorite food in the Philippines?

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM