Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Ep. 6 - Purvis  (Read 32461 times)

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
Re: Ask a Staffer Ep. 6 - Purvis
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2011, 08:49:58 PM »
Purvis versus Hobo Hearts Boxcars. Who wins?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2011, 09:27:30 PM »
What is some advice you would give to players of the text adventures?

Be creative. And do you best to stay in character. For instance, if you're playing, say, Yuyuko quest, recall what kind of character Yuyuko is, and have her act as such. So there would be things she'd most certain not do or say, and things she'd definitely do or say in certain situation. Another good idea is, when stumped, to go exploring. Also, often it's a good idea to try to treat conversations outside of an Ultima-esque "Name? Job? Bye!" tree.

Has anyone ever done something in your Z-Machines that you would consider banning them from playing over?

Not really. If people do something tragically dumb, I tend to just snark at them.

It's because I hated him so much I wanted to make him suffer by making him staff.
And we needed a sacrifice.

It's all true. I vote Ruro, no one likes her anyways.

What is your opinion on Germany?

Germany is a lovely country full of wonderful people who band together every few decades to try to take over the world and commit exciting and previously unimagined war crimes.

For reals, I don't have much of an opinion about it. It's a country that's there, largely being itself and speaking a language that is 60% similar to mine. I'd probably enjoy visiting if I could get around the language barrier. There's a lot of cool historical stuffs I'd love to see and vandalize.

Do you hate the PC-98 or just the vocal fanboys? If the former, why?

Actually, I don't hate either. Largely I just like to poke fun at people who make a big deal about it being superior to the later games.  I do have a particular animus toward people that like to pose against things for the sake of doing it, mistaking disdain for sophistication, which is an unfortunate problem among humans as it's way easier to whine than it is to appreciate shit. To be honest, I've never really met a PC-98 fan that was particularly dumb; save for the Mima jihad.

Do you think you will ever do a second volume of Day Planners?

Probably not. The original was mostly an experiment to see if I could tell a story through lists. But I do find it's main advantage is that it lets you tell a story over the course of weeks without dead time really being a problem. Someday I may come up with something, but right now I really do not have any ideas burning a hole in my inspiration.

What is the best way to reach the level of awesomeness closest to yours that is still realistically achievable by us regular folks?

Learn to appreciate things and be honest. Enjoy things even if they're unpopular, or if they're too popular and the fandumb is largely retarded (FFVII, our own fandom). Take in the things you like, just overlook those you don't. Obviously some things are straight up despicable, but when you find them don't make a big deal about it unless it's topical and at least kinda welcome (I really dislike punk music and most US entertainment media, but I usually don't rant about it). Poking fun is occasionally okay, but being actively a dick generally isn't fun for anyone.

"HUZZAH!" ?

I'll tolchok you right in the gorlo, oh my brother.

Purvis versus Hobo Hearts Boxcars. Who wins?

I'll tell you who loses. Bystanders.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:12:45 PM by Purvissimo »

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »
url]http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/917/doctorportrait.png[/url]  I'll tell you who loses. Bystanders.
teehee url fail teehee

How does that make you feel, purvy?

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2011, 09:54:31 PM »
Whats your favourite animal?Ugh... lame question is lame...

What kind of tv shows do you enjoy?

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2011, 10:04:11 PM »
Did you like Balrog or Misery better?

Are you planning another Day Planners-style fic in the future?

あさらぎシジェ

• MS Paint Lasers incoming!
  • Surprisingly different
    • [あさらぎ Works]
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2011, 10:17:02 PM »
How much do you love Pesco, and would you share a place a residence with him?
If so, what might a typical day be like for you two?
Oh, by the way. I've found some new tea.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2011, 10:25:25 PM »
Were you driving the bus and why did you frame Pesco?

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2011, 10:30:12 PM »
teehee url fail teehee

How does that make you feel, purvy?

I imagine it's akin how you feel while you're awake!

Whats your favourite animal?Ugh... lame question is lame...

There's too many neat animals to bother with favorites. I am fond of goats, chickens, ducks, and penguins though.

What kind of tv shows do you enjoy?

By and large, I don't really enjoy TV. But there are a few things I've really liked lately. Stargate (original series, not the later ones I've yet to see) is a particular favorite (NO SPOILERS PLZ). The Community is very pleasing, given it's like the only time Chevy Chase has been funny since...ever. Dr Who's last season was pleasing. Recently I've discovered Garth Marenghi's Dark Place. Also, Top Gear has managed to make me smile. So I like sci-fi and comedies, it seems. But good ones.

Did you like Balrog or Misery better?

Totally Balrog. He had piles of styles.

Are you planning another Day Planners-style fic in the future?

y u no reed ansirs =[[[[

How much do you love Pesco, and would you share a place a residence with him?

I would make Pescau have my babies, to teach him a valuable lesson.
If so, what might a typical day be like for you two?

Listen to a police blotter to get a general idea.

Were you driving the bus and why did you frame Pesco?

I drive a van.

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2011, 10:48:56 PM »
  y u no reed ansirs =[[[[

Whoops. :ohdear:

Do you have any suggestions to help me remember to read answers more carefully?

Who is your favorite Resident Artist? Why?

Should Ammy make a tenguboard and post pictures?

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2011, 11:34:39 PM »
If you had to live in a pre-Enlightenment (or regional equivalent) society, where would you live and why?

What led you to develop such a strong interest in ordinary people's history, instead of rulers and the like?

If you could pet any animal, setting aside small restrictions like extinction, geographical isolation, safety, etc., which would you choose?

Do you enjoy gardening? If so, what do you like to grow the most?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2011, 11:36:29 PM »
Will you lick it for me?

How deep is your knowledge of cyberpunk and how did you get into it?

Would you assist me getting into such a world that fascinates me, for I'm still new to it?

Where did you buy that Ruro? I want one.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2011, 11:40:31 PM »
Which is, disregarding settingand established and focusing just on the rules, your favorite role playing system, and why?

If they shout "Save us!", will you whisper: "No"?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2011, 12:05:23 AM »
What is your favorite persona to adopt?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2011, 12:13:17 AM »
Whoops. :ohdear:

Oops I seem to have crasted your kidney~

Do you have any suggestions to help me remember to read answers more carefully?

Read up on what a kidney does.

Who is your favorite Resident Artist? Why?

Slaves, without a question. His sense of humor gets me nearly every time, and his scribble style is charming as hell, while his more serious pictures tend to be very interesting.

Should Ammy make a tenguboard and post pictures?

Ammy doing things and good things are practically hand in hand, so yes. Yes he should.

If you had to live in a pre-Enlightenment (or regional equivalent) society, where would you live and why?

Do I have all the knowledge I do now? If so, as far back as I can, so I can use my superficial knowledge of science and medicine to pass myself of as a sorcerer. However, I also would already be dead, due to not being able to have pancreatic surgery. So I suppose the modern era is the best era for me.

What led you to develop such a strong interest in ordinary people's history, instead of rulers and the like?

Originally? Role Playing and writing. Knowing how the common man lived is very important to making a setting. But past that, as I grew more socially aware, I realized that these details were often overlooked in the Great Man/War to War style of history. How did the fall of Rome really affect your average peasant in Gaul? How did the Renaissance improve or ruin the life of the average German? How did your typical resident of Uruk get by? These are the people who allowed for the Great Men to be grate, and did the actual fighting in all of those wars, and the actual dying most of the time. It's important to understand them.

If you could pet any animal, setting aside small restrictions like extinction, geographical isolation, safety, etc., which would you choose?

A coelacanth or a hallucigenia.

Do you enjoy gardening? If so, what do you like to grow the most?

I never really gotten into it, since I'm not an outdoorsy person at all. But it would be nice to have a herb garden in a window box, I think.

Will you lick it for me?

More like, will you lick it for me, nerd.

How deep is your knowledge of cyberpunk and how did you get into it?

Would you assist me getting into such a world that fascinates me, for I'm still new to it?

It's kinda broad, and kinda shallow. To be honest, I don't enjoy Cyberpunk so much as I enjoy the idea of Cyberpunk. The actually books are largely awful. The treatment of the setting and characters is superficial. Slang tends to be used more to obscure meaning or hide author ignorance than build the setting (I can recall one scene in Idoru about a character booting up a laptop that was so slang heavy it pretty much established Gibson wanted to show the process without actually making it look like it made sense). The one that was almost good, City Comes A Walkin', had the main love interest be a psychic. In a modern-esque setting. For no goddamn reason. It added pretty much nothing to the story whatsoever. She was the only psychic. It had no real impact in existing. Then you have the general problem of the stories trying so hard to be edgy and gritty that they either annoy, or become self parodies; the latter of which Neal Stephenson has made a lovely career in. By and large, it's the opposite of Sci-fi. Sci-fi uses science to tell a story. Cyberpunk uses a story to talk about possible sciency things.

In short, Cyberpunk would be good if it had better writers. Which is sad, the concept is awesome. So I am probably not the guy to ask about your second question.

Where did you buy that Ruro? I want one.

I got her for free with the purchase of my Nobu.

Which is, disregarding settingand established and focusing just on the rules, your favorite role playing system, and why?

Good rules work with their setting, so disregarding the setting is kind of foolish. But...SAGA System. TSR released it in the mid-nineties for Dragonlance 5th Age and their Marvel Comics game I don't recall the name of. It was card-based, and the idea was to replace randomness with player choice. It was terribly interesting and emphasized RPing over twinking very nicely. Sadly it'd be impossible to use online without some kinda client.

If they shout "Save us!", will you whisper: "No"?

Fuck Objectivists.

What is your favorite persona to adopt?

All of them.

>_

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
Why am I a terrible staff member, and how can I improve on this?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2011, 12:24:54 AM »
Will you forgive me for accidentally my sentence in my second to last question? And what about this one?

Where does your username come from?

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2011, 12:29:36 AM »
Why am I a terrible staff member, and how can I improve on this?

They say suicide is painless.

Will you forgive me for accidentally my sentence in my second to last question? And what about this one?

Not for free.

Where does your username come from?

This is almost as sad as the time you suggested a holiday you had already suggested.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2011, 12:32:11 AM »
Where can I get the Nobu? I can sell it on eBay later
                                                                                   .

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2011, 12:35:30 AM »
Well, at least I tried to keep the holidays coming.  :derp:

Do you know a good cure against a terrible, terrible memory? And if someone already asked this, will you forgive me if I bake you a cake in the shape of a pie?

Are you the guy who killed the Jenkins Brothers?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2011, 12:39:14 AM »
Grenades?
                                                                                   .

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2011, 02:20:03 AM »
>What's your favorite color (or at least a few preferred colors)?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2011, 02:32:32 AM »
After all, did you enjoy Neuromancer? I'm reading it right now.

What about cyberpunk movies? I mean, Johnny Mnemonic is pretty freaking rad, and Blade Runner is the slowest best film ever
                                                                                   .

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2011, 05:14:29 AM »
Why don't you try hard?

Is there actually a name for your sleeping disorder or is it essentially just nameless and completely fucked up?

Is the Old Spice guy going to get me diamonds?

What about catnip?

What is the worst thing you have ever done in your life?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »
What's the best thing you have done in your life?

Where's my free candy at?

Would you make Nitori your personal mechanic?

What's the best use for a rabbit from Eientei (The Inaba ones, not SSiB ones)

If all your personas entered into a no holds-barred battle royale, who would come out victorious?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2011, 10:16:50 AM »
> It's been too long since your last run. Creds are runnin' low and your wares aren't as SOTA as they used to be. Where to chummer?
Why is Wriggle a decker?
Do you actually know how to run decking in Shadowrun, and if so in which editions?

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
Where can I get the Nobu? I can sell it on eBay later

You have to know a guy.

Well, at least I tried to keep the holidays coming.  :derp:

That you did.

Do you know a good cure against a terrible, terrible memory? And if someone already asked this, will you forgive me if I bake you a cake in the shape of a pie?

Post-it notes, leaving things in specifically designated places, and beatings.

Are you the guy who killed the Jenkins Brothers?

I'll pop your culture, fuckshit.

Grenades?

TOMMY GUN!

>What's your favorite color (or at least a few preferred colors)?

>Probably darker greens. Cooler colors in general, when in isolation.

After all, did you enjoy Neuromancer? I'm reading it right now.

Neuromancer had some interesting parts, but it really didn't relate drama and tension in a good way, and there's that scene near the beginning where Molly is all like, "Hey Case I know we just met and you just woke up after intensive neurosurgery but we're gonna fuck right now." that just made me shake my head. Overall, I found Neuromancer pretty forgettable.

What about cyberpunk movies? I mean, Johnny Mnemonic is pretty freaking rad, and Blade Runner is the slowest best film ever

I've not actually seen any cyberpunk movies, but the short story Johnny Mnemonic was fairly lame. I always hear good about Blade Runner, so maybe one of these days.

Why don't you try hard?

Why don't you get a shower?

Is there actually a name for your sleeping disorder or is it essentially just nameless and completely fucked up?

I have no idea. I've not been able to get it diagnosed at all.

Is the Old Spice guy going to get me diamonds?

When he's done playing the diamond market, I imagine.

What about catnip?

That stuff's bad for you.

What is the worst thing you have ever done in your life?

There is such a wide pool of options I couldn't begin to decide.

What's the best thing you have done in your life?

Despite a much smaller pool of options, I still couldn't begin to decide.

Where's my free candy at?

It's in the van, which is still being worked on.

Would you make Nitori your personal mechanic?

A skilled if eccentric mechanic is better than none, we'll likely agree.

What's the best use for a rabbit from Eientei (The Inaba ones, not SSiB ones)

Stacking.

If all your personas entered into a no holds-barred battle royale, who would come out victorious?

The spectators.

> It's been too long since your last run. Creds are runnin' low and your wares aren't as SOTA as they used to be. Where to chummer?

Time to make a trip to the meat market and see what brings in the nuyens. Since it's looking like drek runs, might as well squeeze the most out of it.

Why is Wriggle a decker?

Because it is canon. Or more precisely, because in one of the holiday comics I did ages ago, I had Wriggle speaking, and had to resist the urge to have her say, "This is not green at all!" Upon considering it, I was a fool for resisting this urge, as being a wannabe deck runner is exactly what Wriggle would do.

Do you actually know how to run decking in Shadowrun, and if so in which editions?

Actually, I'm more of a Cyberpunk 2020 guy. Most of my experience with Shadowrun came from reading a lousy walkthrough about the SNES game years ago. One of these days, I need to look into Cyberpunk 20##'s new edition.

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »
What answer do you think I would be looking for when asking about the worst thing you've done?

Tonight, me?

Tonight, me...what?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2011, 02:32:11 PM »
I haven't read the Johnny story, but the movie is definitely worth a watch. Also dolphin.

Can you prescribe me something for year-long pain, frustration and anxiety?
                                                                                   .

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »
What answer do you think I would be looking for when asking about the worst thing you've done?

What were you looking for? Public obscenity.

Tonight, me?

Tonight, me...what?

Are you talking to that fucking dog again?

I haven't read the Johnny story, but the movie is definitely worth a watch. Also dolphin.

This shall be kept in mind.

Can you prescribe me something for year-long pain, frustration and anxiety?

Do you see my clinic here? No you do not. I'll send you my bill.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2011, 06:20:25 PM »
Also dolphin.
You called?

Question that may verge on sensitive - roughly how old are you? I have a mental image of you as a guy in his 50s or something. :V