Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Ep. 3 - theshim  (Read 13817 times)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Ask a Staffer Ep. 3 - theshim
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:38:43 AM »
Heya.

Fairly new to the broom crew, but I'll do my best to answer anything you guys can throw at me this week.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:48:08 AM by ♪ TheStupidOne ♫ »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Drake

Re: Ask A Staffer Ep. 3 - theshim
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:43:48 AM »
What do you think of UFO?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:47:07 AM »
Why don't you try hard?

A more serious question: What is the first video/computer game you remember really getting into?

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:52:35 AM »
THESHIM :) ?

What do you think of Dimahoo? Strikers 1999? Crimzon Clover?

Why did you become a Shrine Janitor?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:54:41 AM »
Why did you name yourself after a small wedge of wood used to level doors and windows?

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 06:00:11 AM »
Shim-Sham-Alla-Blim-Blam?

How exactly did you become a janitor?

What's your feelings about each mod/the way they mod? I.E If momoji's a bitch (which momoji isnt. < 3)

What is your favorite touhou game?

How does one mine for fish?

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 06:01:54 AM »
Why are you so angry all the time?

theshirn

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:14:51 AM »
What do you think of UFO?
I think it's game that rewards those who are good with an overabundance of resources and punishes those who aren't good enough with a severe inability to get them fast enough.  There's a "sweet spot" of skill where a mode is challenging, as there are in virtually all shmups and all Touhou games, but in UFO it's much smaller and higher than usual.  I'm also largely unimpressed by the characters and music, and overall consider it one of the worst of the series.
Why don't you try hard?
You know what?  I think I do.  At least at certain things.  Like shmups.  Which then ask me that damned question.
A more serious question: What is the first video/computer game you remember really getting into?
The first...........wow, that was way back when, wasn't it?

It would be Wolfenstein 3D.  Great times.  I'm not that huge an FPS person even to this day, but Wolf3D was my first major game experience.  I remember knowing all of Episode 5 to the point that I could beat the par time on every level, kill every enemy, find every secret, and collect every single piece of treasure...except a single piece in level 8.  To this day, that single piece of treasure haunts me, and I have never found it.
THESHIM :) ?
NAUT >:(
What do you think of Dimahoo? Strikers 1999? Crimzon Clover?
Dimahoo was bland, boring, stupidly difficult, and can die in a fire.

Strikers 1999 is in much the same boat, except I spent more time on it.  Something about both of those, and pretty much all the shmups I've played by Psikyo for that matter, are weird to me; there's some kind of dissonance between the way I see bullets and my ship in them that makes them really hard for me.

Crimzon Clover, on the other hand, is fantastic, and is the only shmup I've truly enjoyed outside Touhou.  The music is bloody amazing, the gameplay is pretty, ambient, and not too insane (obviously I exclude Unlimited here, but my limited forays into it lead me to believe that even though I can't pass S2 it's still far more fun than any Cave shmup), and frankly, it's actually fun, something I rarely find in shmups these days.
Why did you become a Shrine Janitor?
Upon getting Birthday Powers(tm), I actually got to see what happened when a couple reports were filed.  It interested me to see how the staff actually handled things, and as I see myself as being level-headed and reasonable about things (shut up I am) I felt that, considering how much time I spend around here, I may as well try to help out.
Why did you name yourself after a small wedge of wood used to level doors and windows?
Ask my parents, man.  I don't even do that, I tend to kick doors open (when possible).
Shim-Sham-Alla-Blim-Blam?
...sure, why not.
After my birthday, I applied.  A few months later, they needed some more hands around here, I guess, and I was given a broom along with seven other people.
What's your feelings about each mod/the way they mod? I.E If momoji's a bitch (which momoji isnt. < 3)
...I'm going to pass on this question, as it's basically equivalent to public callouts.  I have no major issues with any of the staff here, and if I did I'd talk to them about it.
What is your favorite touhou game?
Oddly, I'm not sure I have one.  I guess it's a tossup between EoSD, IN and MoF.
How does one mine for fish?
With a fishaxe, obviously.
Why are you so angry all the time?
Because I'm surrounded by incompetence, greed, sadism, idiocy, wasted potential, self-destructiveness and flat-out stupidity that laughing in fury is the best way to not actually kill everyone around me.  Listen.  People are scum.  Most people would be better off never having been born, because then they'd never have had the chances they had that they all threw away in favor of causing as much misery to others as possible.

Or because it's a silly gimmick that helps me laugh at the fact that I once was just that furious, and these days can actually control myself.  Your call.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »
Well hello there, theshim!

What has been your favorite part of the forum so far?

What's your opinion on IRCs and what would ya say is the best client to access IRCs?

What would ya say is your most memorable moment within any video game that you have played?

Now after a large explosion takes place destroying the only thing keeping them from you, you find yourself with merely a shotgun with about 18 rounds and a pistol, only with 6 bullets within the loaded magazine. You have three other magazines within your stockpile. Countless numbers of them are coming yet you have only mere minutes to prepare. With you are twenty three other individuals all from various backgrounds. You know only a few of them and can barely trust them, but in this situation you truly do not have a choice. Due to the brevity of time beforehand to speak with them, your group has not made any type of plan prior to this moment nor have appointed any sort of leader. The enemy approaches you at a faster pace that you had hoped and they are coming within your sights, unknown as to where you and your team's exact position is. Some of your fellow teammates itch with excitement for battle, others panic for fear of death, while the rest remain determined to their goal. Now...

What brand of shoes would you be wearing within this situation and how uncomfortable would they be in the case scenario that you had to use up your socks as a makeshift snare by means of placing rocks within them?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »
Who shanked the shim?

What would be worse, a nude Marisa hitting you with a Master Spark, or Yuka in nothing but a thong hitting you with Dual Spark?

What character from past works (games and written) would you most like to see get an appearance in TH13?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »
How did you feel when you got selected to be an SJ?  Right now I'm imagining it went something like this :colonveeplusalpha:

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
This is probably a very personal question, but how important is your faith to you?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
After my birthday, I applied.  A few months later, they needed some more hands around here, I guess, and I was given a broom along with seven other people....
I had no idea that's how it worked. Either that or I just plain missed something.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »
I had no idea that's how it worked. Either that or I just plain missed something.
The SJ group was created to replace the now defunct "Fake Mod" group, in order to give powers to certain members in order to take care of stickies.  We removed the group after an incident in which a particular user abused the powers afforded in order to enforce their whims and for a while we floated the idea of bringing it back but with much more limited powers this time around.

For a while SJs were limited to just a couple of people.  Matsuri, Vic, Nobu and Ruro all got their feet wet as SJs at first.  For a while we really didn't need that many SJs.  Matsuri mostly got it because he was running the Shmup of the Week stuff, Ruro got it because she volunteered to clean out a bunch of old threads for me, and I can't remember why I promoted Vic or Nobu.  Anyone can apply to be part of the group and for the longest time we had a stack of applicants but no real need to add more nor any desire to.  There was concern of too many people having access to the staff forums, along with the fact we really didn't have a need at the time.

As time went on and the SJs got promoted to full moderators and staff shuffled around, the need for a group of users returned as reports started coming in more often.  We also started getting concered with our response times, as it took us oftentimes days to come towards a resolution to an occuring problem and by then the issue would have either exploded or long been dead.  The big change that prompted the addition of more SJs was the ability to "unapprove" posts.  Suddenly we could hide offensive posts without deleting or destroying them, giving us time to work on the issue while keeping the offending issue from escalating further.  I gave the power to SJs to be able to act as our "eyes and ears", reporting and hiding possibly undesirable posts or topics until a full moderator could weigh in on it.

When Nobu became the last OG SJ to be promoted, I revamped the group, removing their staff forum access but giving them access to their own hidden forum in which they can bring up issues and questions in confidence to the staff.  Their original purpose remains, to maintain stickies, move misplaced threads to where they're appropriate, and to lock threads that exceed the 1k post limit.  They can also look at reports in order to handle more mundane things like requests to lock, oversized images, etc.  They are not staff and have no say in moderation issues, but their input is welcome if not desired.  They may not be staff but they still work to improve and maintain this site and this community.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:08:32 PM by ♪ TheStupidOne ♫ »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »
Why did you choose to thesh 'im?

theshirn

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »
What has been your favorite part of the forum so far?
Given how I love talking about games more than is probably healthy, Akyu's Arcade wins this one.  I wish more people would do LPs, honestly.
What's your opinion on IRCs and what would ya say is the best client to access IRCs?
"IRC is multiplayer notepad."

In honesty, IRC is a great medium for additional discussion between members of the forum, and I think more people should avail themselves of it.  I use Chatzilla myself, but as I've never really experimented with the spectrum of clients, I can't really say it's the best; it works for me, and that's good enough.
What would ya say is your most memorable moment within any video game that you have played?
That is really tough, but I have an out for this one.  In Oblivion, when you talk to Savlian Matius, the guard captain at Kvatch.  It was around 4 in the morning and we kept playing his speeches as fast as we could.  To this day, one of my friends' answering messages is his "My home!  My goddamn home in flames!  It kills me that I can't get in there and DO something!"

It's one of those things that aren't funny or memorable if you weren't there, but oh man it makes me laugh to this day.
Now after a large explosion takes place destroying the only thing keeping them from you, you find yourself with merely a shotgun with about 18 rounds and a pistol, only with 6 bullets within the loaded magazine. You have three other magazines within your stockpile. Countless numbers of them are coming yet you have only mere minutes to prepare. With you are twenty three other individuals all from various backgrounds. You know only a few of them and can barely trust them, but in this situation you truly do not have a choice. Due to the brevity of time beforehand to speak with them, your group has not made any type of plan prior to this moment nor have appointed any sort of leader. The enemy approaches you at a faster pace that you had hoped and they are coming within your sights, unknown as to where you and your team's exact position is. Some of your fellow teammates itch with excitement for battle, others panic for fear of death, while the rest remain determined to their goal. Now...

What brand of shoes would you be wearing within this situation and how uncomfortable would they be in the case scenario that you had to use up your socks as a makeshift snare by means of placing rocks within them?
FILA sneakers, which aren't too bad without socks.  Of course, they're kind of falling apart.  I need new shoes, but :moneys:
Who shanked the shim?
Purvis
What would be worse, a nude Marisa hitting you with a Master Spark, or Yuka in nothing but a thong hitting you with Dual Spark?
Considering that the nudity of the assailant is largely irrelevant when being hit by all consuming PAIN, I'll go with the original and say Yuka.
What character from past works (games and written) would you most like to see get an appearance in TH13?
Honestly, I'd love it if Mokou could make a return.  It's a stretch of stretches, but immortals getting involved when spirits are all over the place is at least slightly feasible.  Of course, that probably means Kaguya would be involved too, so screw that.
How did you feel when you got selected to be an SJ?  Right now I'm imagining it went something like this :colonveeplusalpha:
"Oh.  Hey.  Cool!"

I don't tend to have deeply thought-out reactions to things.  I guess I'm kinda shallow? :ohdear:
This is probably a very personal question, but how important is your faith to you?
It is the core integral aspect of my life.  If you ask me "What are you" my first response will be "A Jew", and maybe after that things like "American" or "a college student".  I am religious, and seek to uphold certain values in myself.  I do not attempt to impose them on others - Judaism does not evangelize - so I tend to keep it out of discussions here, but it has a great deal of impact on how I see the world - and frankly, I am thankful for it.
They may not be staff
Ask A Staffer
:getdown:
Why did you choose to thesh 'im?
'e took me lucky charms, is why!  I'll thesh the bugger til 'is eyes pop out!

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 05:49:03 PM »
That should probably be revamped to say "they are not moderation staff"
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 05:49:49 PM »
God dammmit my reply wasnt posted. Well it was basically me asking you a wall of text, then leading to the actual question, which was "What is your favorite Touhou characters and why"?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 12:27:27 AM »
Why won't you LP GalGun :(

How tall are ya and how much do you weight?

Why don't you live nearby, considering some stuff you say I get the feeling we could totally be bros

I applied ages ago, actually :derp:
I didn't make it though
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 06:23:52 AM »
Rawket lawnchair?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 10:39:49 AM »
Are you an Englishman in New York?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 11:39:17 AM »
What, in your opinion, is the best gameplay mechanic in the Touhou games?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »
ZUN and IKD battle it out. Who wins?

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 01:58:31 PM »
Do you play RTSes?
Favourite animal?
favourite touhou chara?
least favourite touhou chara?
favourite touhou game?
least favourite touhou game?
favourite music genre?
favourite musical instrument?

stuff

theshirn

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
That should probably be revamped to say "they are not moderation staff"
That would probably help, yes.
God dammmit my reply wasnt posted. Well it was basically me asking you a wall of text, then leading to the actual question, which was "What is your favorite Touhou characters and why"?
Well, my favorite grammatical mistake is when people use is to refer to a plural.
Why won't you LP GalGun :(
Because I still have the tattered shreds of a soul within me, and they cry out in ultimate torment just from having seen that video you linked.
How tall are ya and how much do you weight?
6 feet 2 inches, 130 pounds, or 188cm and 59 kg.  FOR I AM TEH SKINNY
Why don't you live nearby, considering some stuff you say I get the feeling we could totally be bros
This actually got me thinking about how different I would be if I had lived nearby.  Suffice to say, I would likely be radically different, and I doubt I'd ever have made my way to MotK in the first place.
Rawket lawnchair?
Is it a bad thing I never played that? :ohdear:
Are you an Englishman in New York?
My word, no!  I could hardly abide these boorish fellows if I were!

* theshim makes a note to ask Sapz this when it's his turn
What, in your opinion, is the best gameplay mechanic in the Touhou games?
A PoC.  It's a risk-reward element for scoring, as well as power, and I happen to like having it; I've yet to come across it anywhere else (thought I admit my shmup experience is pretty small.)
ZUN and IKD battle it out. Who wins?
Depends on how much ZUN's had to drink and how many thugs IKD brings.
Do you play RTSes?
Sometimes.  Mostly a WarCraft/StarCraft player, when I do.
Favourite animal?
Bear.  Bears are awesome.
favourite touhou chara?
I think, at long last, Mokou has dethroned Sakuya from the top seat of my characters.  The top of my list is pretty cluttered, I like a lot of the characters, but I've a real soft spot for Mokou.
least favourite touhou chara?
This one's real close, but Aya still narrowly wins out over Kaguya, Sanae and Byakuren.
favourite touhou game?
Didn't I answer this already?
least favourite touhou game?
UFO.  Next!
favourite music genre?
I don't really have one?  Mostly VGM, but if I had to pick one outside that I'd say (progressive) rock.
favourite musical instrument?
Again, don't really have one.  Probably piano, if I were forced to choose.  I find it the most versatile instrument and best able to hold itself up on its own.  I really, really like rock pieces that include piano.
stuff
more stuff

SCIENCE!

(I keep forgetting where that's from. :V)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 10:01:40 PM »
Because I still have the tattered shreds of a soul within me, and they cry out in ultimate torment just from having seen that video you linked.
Chicken.

6 feet 2 inches, 130 pounds, or 188cm and 59 kg.
I'm exactly 3cm and 3kg bigger than you :/
* Skinny brofist

This actually got me thinking about how different I would be if I had lived nearby.  Suffice to say, I would likely be radically different, and I doubt I'd ever have made my way to MotK in the first place.
... well let's suppose you weren't any different.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 10:10:51 PM »
So you play Warcraft. Come rage at DotS with us :V

theshirn

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »
So you play Warcraft. Come rage at DotS with us :V
Don't have Frozen Throne. :|

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 10:29:33 PM »
How have you never played a Metal Slug game :<
METAL SLUG X GO GO GO

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 10:39:55 PM »
Which do you prefer: bees, or misery?
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?