Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Ep. 2 - Vic Viper  (Read 13317 times)

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
Re: Ask a Staffer Ep. 2 - Vic Viper
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 11:45:47 PM »
Which series do you think is better, Gradius or Dariu--

It's quite fun and I do enjoy it, but with the arrival of Darius Burst here in the arcade I feel Gradius is outclassed right now.
:smug:

Oh hell I need an actual question now. What's your favourite anime?

Twillsky

• I know what I mean.
  • Yep.
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 02:41:37 AM »
Why does your signatures lead to the site for Sita Sings the Blues? I've always wondered what was up with that, and now we're watching it in Religion class  :V

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 11:55:12 AM »
What's the activity you seen Ran having the most difficulty with, due to the tails?
(and please don't say using the restroom)

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »
What's the point behind the Aya's Personals Section?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »
My name is Vic.  Blah blah blah I suck

Viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic

What movie recommendations would you give someone who wants to watch good films but doesn't quite know where to start?

Also, what's your favourite movie of the past five years and why?
This is an interesting question, because it just leads to more and more questions.  Like, I consider myself to be big into film, but only because I love watching films.  I don't like to sit around and analyze, but I absolutely love the experience of watching a good movie.  When you ask about looking to get into film, are you looking more to broaden your horizons and viewing habits, or are you trying more to work on film analyzing?

If you're looking to just start watching more films: are there any specific genres or directors you enjoy?  Is there a certain decade of films you're interested in?  Are you just working your way down the IMDB top 250?
If this is more like your goal, there is a wealth of information out there.  I'm quite fond of the Cinema Discusso board on SA: it sometimes falls into a bunch of internet guys arguing about comic book movies, but there is excellent conversation to be had about all sort of films.  While some movie magazine sites have hundreds of small lists about "Top 10 Future Western Zombie movies costarring Black Labradors", no list should ever be taken as gospel.  That being said, the AFI 100 years... series manages to round up many classic American movies, while the Criterion Collection specializes in assembling the best in Foreign and contemporary movies.  Both are good resources to learning about specific movies while They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? is a valuable resource for how a certain director's catalog is viewed (though it should not be taken as gospel).

If you're looking more into analyzing, I'm really not the one to ask.  However, the best suggestion would be to stick with a certain director and become accustomed to their films.  They also helps because many tend to focus solely on one specific director.  The films of Stanley Kubrick have been analyzed for years and may be a nice starting point in film analyzing.

Far as my favorite movie, do you mean favorite released in the past five years, or favorite that I saw that year for the first time?  Guess I'll answer both.
2006: The Lives of Others (release), True Romance (first viewing) This was also the first year I really started watching film
2007: [rec] (though I absolutely loved watching Grindhouse in a theater), Oldboy
2008: Very fond of both In Bruges and Forgetting Sarah Marshall that year, Network
2009: Inglourious Basterds, Full Metal Jacket
2010: The Black Swan, The Thing (didn't watch much this year though)

Which series do you think is better, Gradius or Dariu--
:smug:

Oh hell I need an actual question now. What's your favourite anime?
Haha, laugh it up buddy :colbert:

I've always disliked the idea of having "favorites' for films or anime or the like, since it's so hard to compare some things with each other, and I enjoy comedies for different reasons than dramas.  Looking through my MAL, quite a few series come to mind.  I really loved Elfen Lied (seen it 12 times), ef -a tale of memories-, Initial D (the whole series), Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Monster, Welcome to the NHK and pretty much everything Satoshi Kon did (Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paranoia Agent and Paprika)

Why does your signatures lead to the site for Sita Sings the Blues? I've always wondered what was up with that, and now we're watching it in Religion class  :V
The movie is available to watch for free through any number of sources, but I'm a really big supporter of creators having more control over their copyrights than anyone else.  Nina Paley made the entire movie herself out of pocket and completely self-funded and she then put the movie out for free.  I think that more artists and creators should be creating for the love of the craft than for monetary gain.  That said, I understand that it's not the best business strategy.  I purchased a DVD of the movie after I watched it, but I know that many people did not.

What's the activity you seen Ran having the most difficulty with, due to the tails?
(and please don't say using the restroom)
Considering that the average size of her tails as drawn by artists is still on the large size, it's just about any activity.  Getting dressed, moving about a small kitchen or down a crowded street, shopping down a narrow aisle.  Hell, even sitting in a chair would require something specially made to accommodate all those tails.  Poor girl.

What's the point behind the Aya's Personals Section?
It was a contest held quite a while ago when players were partnered up and had to try and woo the other, with the most successful earning the rank of Idiot Maiden.  The new series will be run differently from the first game, but the premise will remain similar.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »
Yeah, way to wait until you have two days left Vic you moron.

Will anime ever "mainstream" enough in the west to be regarded as a medium on par with film or music, and if so, how?

I dislike this question for one main reason: that it treats anime as its own genre, as opposed to a medium.  Many of the problems that anime faces is because it is treated as its own genre of "Anime" instead of just being animated shows. 

To expand on this, anime deals with much different subject matter than normal TV shows (American for this, because that's what I'm used to).  Like I mentioned before, anime focuses around high schoolers, which allows for large majority of people to relate - since they too went to high school - the American general populace doesn't want to watch high schoolers unless they're having a crazy teen sex comedy.  Beyond that, anime is very cliched.  American TV is as well, but cliched in a different way, a way that the populace will refuse to try and accept. 

What is probably the major reason comes down the money.  Anime may be cheaper to produce on an episode basis, but trying to air a brand new show in the untested waters of prime-time TV will likely give a network exec the willies.  A drop in viewership may lead to possible advertising partners pulling out, which results in lack of funding to further the series.  Additionally, I imagine that anime would face a high chance of getting the ax if viewership plummets even slightly.  In Japan, a large portion of anime airs very late at night, with is prime infomercial time back in the states.  Why would a network exec pay to put a show on at 2 AM and only receive less than 10 minutes of advertising income instead of paying nothing for an infomercial and getting a full 30 minutes of advertising income?

In addition, look at the anime that gets released in the mainstream currently.  Almost without exception, it's movies by Academy Award winner Hayao Miyazaki and released by Disney with pockets deep enough to score A-list actors to voice the characters and can be released on the strength of both Miyazaki and hollywood talent.  Even the big animated shows currently on TV have big names attached, and that name is Seth MacFarlane more often than not.  Short of throwing money at A-list talent to attach their voices to anime and sell on that strength, anime as a whole has very little selling strength to the average family.

There may be some things I'm forgetting, but it should be remembered that even in Japan anime is still pretty niche.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25:01 AM »
I dislike this question for one main reason: that it treats anime as its own genre, as opposed to a medium.  Many of the problems that anime faces is because it is treated as its own genre of "Anime" instead of just being animated shows.

Hence why I called it a medium and not a genre. In fact, I also have a beef with people treating anime as a genre. But the fact remains that even entire mediums are relegated to the outskirts of the mainstream, or underground.

Sadly, it seems anime as a medium will remain outside the mainstream, with all the misconceptions that it carries, due to the very reasons you named.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 11:37:12 AM »
Like I mentioned before, anime focuses around high schoolers, which allows for large majority of people to relate - since they too went to high school - the American general populace doesn't want to watch high schoolers unless they're having a crazy teen sex comedy.
This is easily the worst truth to ever come out of your mouth, right behind yukkuris being terrible.

Reminds me of this:

Vampires Suck received almost universally negative reviews from critics and an approval rating of 4% on Rotten Tomatoes, with the consensus being "Witlessly broad and utterly devoid of laughs, Vampires Suck represents a slight step forward for the Friedberg-Seltzer team."  And on the Rotten Tomatoes Show, comedian Ron Babcock said that it's "scary that this movie made two million dollars more in it's opening weekend than Scott Pilgrim vs the World." He then proceeded to say "America, can you guys get your shit together?"

The American public has no taste AT ALL.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 11:42:34 AM »
I adore animation as a medium, and that's really what drives me crazy.  I can't really say it's anime's fault, it faces animation as a whole.  Shows like Family Guy may not be targeted at children, but the maturity level for many of the jokes is quite juvenile.  Occasionally you have a film like Persepolis or Waltz with Bashir that really defy the animation mold, but they are extremely rare.  Even Pixar films are affected.  Though there is plenty in the films for adults to enjoy, they are primarily aimed at children first - which was part of my chief complaint with Ratatouille.

I agree with you.  Anime has it even harder because it has to overcome both the animation issue and the foreign issue.

EDIT:
This is easily the worst truth to ever come out of your mouth, right behind yukkuris being terrible.

Reminds me of this:

The American public has no taste AT ALL.
I'm confused.  I should have that that not all anime focuses on high schoolers, but I'll be goddamned if I don't think the American public is vastly closed-minded and tasteless.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:45:20 AM by Vic Viper »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
In this cartoon vein, what did you think of King of the Hill?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:13 AM »
I loved King of the Hill.  I was out of the demographic to appreciate the way it looked at Texas, but I really enjoyed how the writing level was not only written for an older audience, but didn't often pander for cheap, low-brow laughs.  However, I haven't watched the show in years so I can only speak from experience, but when I stopped watching I preferred it over the Simpsons by a long-shot.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 12:24:10 PM »
I will pipe in and say that KitH is one of the most well-written, clever, and hilarious pieces of animated media, and everyone who disagrees is a dummy.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »
What would you do for a Klondike Bar?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 01:01:07 PM »
What would you do for a Klondike Bar?

Fucking kick a dude in the dick because we don't have any in this stupid country!

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »
Hmmm.
Who do you think has it the roughest in the Touhou series? As in, Ran's Tails as asked before.

How awesome will Touhou 13 be?

What is your favorite game that you are currently playing?

Angelfire

• Oh, you can't help that.
  • Mostly everyone's mad here.
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 12:06:28 AM »
HRMMMMM.... *ponders*

What does the title of 'Spechul Member' mean? And how do you obtain said title?
Without beginning or end

The ring stretches on into the infinite.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 12:08:57 AM »
HRMMMMM.... *ponders*

What does the title of 'Spechul Member' mean? And how do you obtain said title?

Hurrrrrr and Special Member are the same rank, it's handed out to people who do something that benefit the site in some way without being staff.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »
Hmmm.
Who do you think has it the roughest in the Touhou series? As in, Ran's Tails as asked before.

How awesome will Touhou 13 be?

What is your favorite game that you are currently playing?
Like, who has the hardest time doing normal human things aside from Ran?  If Okuu never took off that stupid lookin' Third Leg of hers, I can imagine it being hard to do a lot of things.  As it stands, she has one usable hand and a giant stick.  Considering the future, Mokou and Kaguya have it pretty terrible.  While a lot of the youkai can live for 1000 or more years, imagine not being able to die?  It'd be great to live through the evolutions of humanity, but you're going to outlive all your friends and loved ones and everyone you've ever known.  If their immortality is actually perfect, one day mankind may be wiped out, and they'd be left to scavenge with the roaches for eternity.  Perhaps millions of years down the road the Earth may cease to exist, and they'd be left to float around the vacuum of space for all eternity - being born and immediately suffocating and dying before repeating the cycle in short time.  Maybe those two have it the worst...

Meh, I'm on the fence.  Those screens made it seem like Reimu was being followed by some things that looked like the evolution of the UFO system, which should be cringe-worthy on its own.  Also, it's annoying to deal with both the MIma and Sakuya fans complaining about their not being in the game.  The gameplay will probably be different and it will turn a lot of people off for a while before they eventually accept it.  I'm more interested in how the fandom will accept the new characters.  It will take a very long time for artists to contribute nearly as much art of them as we have of even the UFO characters.  I don't think I'm incorrect in thinking the amount of Touhou art has gone up exponentially in the past year and a half since UFO, especially of massive group shots.

Currently I'm playing a lot of Jubeat and Project Diva arcade.  I used to be playing a lot of Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 DX+ (PITA name) but then I lost and I have no desire to keep playing for some reason, so I'm considering finally starting Initial D V5.  On my PSP I'm playing through Persona 3 Portable and Project Diva 1, as well as the Prinny game.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 05:16:46 AM »
Why am I your favorite?

When are we going to get to stab Mima, already? You've been holdin' out on that shit for months!

What was the biggest problem the forum ever faced, and why?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 08:33:08 AM »
Why am I your favorite?

When are we going to get to stab Mima, already? You've been holdin' out on that shit for months!

What was the biggest problem the forum ever faced, and why?
I think you do an exceptional job running your games, and I admire that you can explain all of your opinions regarding Touhou and it's fandom very well and can explain why certain fanon theories exist.

Dramatic pause of course!  I had initially dropped the game because I wasn't enjoying writing it anymore and didn't feel like I was doing a very good job in the first place.  I've debated the idea of picking it back up though, so I haven't ruled it out.

Since I've been on staff, I think the April Fool's Day issue last year is notable for causing a lot of problems and stress for the staff, as well as some hysteria throughout the forum in general.  I don't think anything else has been on nearly the same scale, though the Communist theme also caused some problems.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
Communist theme?

Also, Shouldn't you be done for this week? I wanna ask someone more.. Not you.

How much do you want to kick me in the face for that last comment? :4

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »
Communist theme?

Also, Shouldn't you be done for this week? I wanna ask someone more.. Not you.

How much do you want to kick me in the face for that last comment? :4
A few months ago, the CPMC theme was changed from winter to a theme that was mostly red and yellow, and it was not popular to put it lightly.

Today's my last day, someone new starts on Wednesday!  Also, how cruel :<

All of them, all of the kicks >=|

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »
If Yukari said she could gap you anywhere in fiction, reality, wherever, where would you like to go?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »
If Yukari said she could gap you anywhere in fiction, reality, wherever, where would you like to go?
Real places, it'd be nice to visit Vietnam and Cambodia and Thailand without paying to fly out there.  If I could pass through time, I don't think I'd want to.  Other time periods would be too much of a shock, and probably extremely boring.

Fiction, I bet it'd be interesting to visit Gensokyo, but I'd much rather visit Moscow in Sergei Lukyanenko's Watch series, but that's assuming I could also possess the ability to become an Other.  Definitely a Light Other, Zabulon was just a dick.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 01:33:21 PM »
Hmmm. I'm running dry or questions to ask.

Who do you think is the most unique touhou character, in terms of powers. I.E Hina is a curse god who takes AWAY misfortune, and other things that you'd find odd like that.

What is your favorite fanon depiction of a character?

And could you please not put on spiked shoes? I really dont want my face being kicked in by those.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »
Hmmm. I'm running dry or questions to ask.

Who do you think is the most unique touhou character, in terms of powers. I.E Hina is a curse god who takes AWAY misfortune, and other things that you'd find odd like that.

What is your favorite fanon depiction of a character?

And could you please not put on spiked shoes? I really dont want my face being kicked in by those.
You don't have to ask questions you know :P

Suika of course.  Tiny clones are the most adorable and dangerous power~

Chen as a little kid, there's so much to be said for that sense of wonderment that children have.

Nope too late!