Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Catch-22: Ask me things! Sakura Rurouni  (Read 84854 times)

Re: Ask a Staffer Catch-22: Ask me things!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 12:00:08 AM »
How do you interpret Shiki's power to see things in black and white?

How can you trust the history that you read? What about fictional portrayals of historical eras, which may not hew to pure factual accuracy but can instead convey cultural insight?

Read any Latin American literature? If so, what are your favorites?

Why the laconicism?

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 03:07:32 AM »
?Porqu? espadas?
Lac?nico: Porque son muy simb?licos.
Regular: Las espadas representan muchas cosas. Obviamente, representan violencia, la violencia de hombre contra hombre durante los siglos. Pueden tambi?n representar defensa, defendiendo a alguien m?s.
En mi mente, las espadas representan deseo. Deseo, en este contexto, incluye la sensaci?n de adrenalina en las venas-- una preferencia para vivir una vida peligrosa, para probarse uno mismo, probar sus habilidades en el borde de la muerte. Representan ese deseo para los est?mulos extremos que hace que las personas se metan a peleas con armas letales. Deseo incluye la sensaci?n extrema, las endorfinas, el orgullo de sobrevivencia, y tambi?n el amor de la disciplina. Es uno de esas mentalidades que causa que los que no tienen esa mentalidad llaman una locura. Yo siento esa mentalidad dentro el simbolismo de las espadas.

?Porqu? flores?
Lac?nico: Porque son muy bellas.
Regular: Tambi?n simbolizan mucho las flores. Representan m?s que nada el poder de la naturaleza, que siempre ganara. Cuando la humanidad termine para siempre, la naturaleza sobrevivir?, muriendo y renaciendo y creciendo como siempre. En la cara de tantos desastres humanos, las flores siempre renacen, y eso me inspira.

?Porqu? pasto?
Lac?nico: El color verde simboliza la vida.
Regular: Por muchas de las mismas razones que me gustan las flores, me gusta el pasto. Verde no es mi color favorito-- eso es rojo-- pero sigue siendo el color del poder de la naturaleza, y debe ser respetado.

?Por qu? Maria?
Laconic: Hahahahah.
Regular: It's so true! My mother has been watching telenovelas ever since before I was born, and I got to see all kinds of crazy stuff going on in them. They're so cheesy, but so funny, too :P

When can the Librarians go on break ;-;?
Laconic: Back to the galley, slave.

What is your thoughts/viewpoints on paranormal traits - telepathy, telekinesis, clairvoyance, precognition, and the like?
Laconic: They may or may not exist.
Regular: I used to have enormous doubts about whether or not they could exist, having had a strong skeptic streak as a science enthusiast. If there is anything that my courses on death and the afterlife have taught me, though, it is that science does not yet answer all questions, and there is data that is out of reach at the moment. I think they could very well exist. I hope we get to prove that they are true someday, because those would be pretty sweet abilities.

A close friend comes to you for advice. Do you give advice based on a gut feeling in response to their situation, do you analyze it from every different angle, or do you confer with others anonymously to get multiple viewpoints and solutions to their problem?
Laconic: All of them.
Regular: It depends on the situation, but I can't imagine excluding any of them on basic principle. If I have no time at all, I would go based on my gut feeling, but if there is time to talk it out, I would offer the gut feeling advice, then analyze and pick apart the situation to find answers from every different angle, in a very short amount of time. And if there is more time available, I would seek anonymous advice from trusted sources of my own, as well, unless this was expressly prohibited by my close friend or would not do any good.

What's your zodiac? :3
Laconic: Sheep, Aquarius.
Regular: Born in the year of the Sheep according to the Chinese zodiac, I believe. Western zodiac calls me a water-bearer.

Pick one: Super-strength, perfect proprioceptive senses, or unrivaled agility and dexterity.
Laconic: Unrivaled agility and dexterity.
Regular: If there is anything that Dune has taught me, it is that I neither want nor need perfect proprioceptive senses. I would also not be able to handle all that sensory input. Super strength is quite useful, but with unrivaled agility, inertia more than makes up for it. Because I cannot run, in any case, I would prefer to be able to run again instead of gaining shiny new superpowers.

If a Chicken with a Naginata fought a Sea Bass with a Halberd, which would win?
Laconic: Not vegetarians.
Regular: If variables such as skill level, length of weapon, and battlefield conditions are held at a constant, I would say the sea bass. Presuming the battle is fought on a pier of some sort (so as to give both combatants a chance within their own environment), the sea bass would have more flexibility, being able to hide under the surface of the water while the chicken is stuck on dry land.

How do you approach issues of moderation?
Laconic: Check rules, then evaluate.
Regular: If it's a clear-cut rules breaker, then apply the measures that have been used before. If it is not, then I consider the circumstances, the people involved, and what I know of their motivations, and apply the punishments to what would be most likely to get them to change their objectionable behaviour. Whether that is talking it out with them or laying the smackdown depends on the person and the problematic behaviour.

Why am I your favorite?
Regular: You, too, have a great appreciation for history! I'd love to go back to taking lessons from you someday or somenight when we both have time.

What is the region of the world you know the least about?
Laconic: Oceania.
Regular: The Middle East and parts of Africa I can make good claims to knowing at least a little bit about. Oceania is one big blank for me.

What do you think the biggest problem the forums ever had was?
Laconic: April Fools' 2010.
Regular: What made that particular prank so very destructive was that the staff deliberately and intentionally made every effort to show that we were not at all complicit in what was going down, when it was the exact opposite in reality. We used our reputations and the trust the community placed in us to pitch the story and spread misinformation (at one point Hele and I faked getting into a fight, and our different stories encouraged the lie that we didn't know what was going on either), and it backfired in the messiest manner possible. Rebuilding trust after that was an enormous challenge (I, for one, did not feel and still do not feel that I deserve the opportunity to do so), but it has happened at least in part by studiously avoiding any kind of repetition of that nasty event.

Reals or Supers?
Laconic: Guh?
Regular: I do not understand the question! Which is sad, because it looks interesting. Do explain.

If you could change one rule here, what would it be?
Laconic: Can't think of any rule.
Regular: I almost want to be selfish and say it should be the image size limits, but I've been on other forums where due to a straining of resources, the administrators enforce even more stringent rules on image sizes in signatures and the like for the sake of those people who don't have as many resources, and so I have developed a healthy respect for such limits.

While not a 'rule' per se, though, I would like for there to be some way to show our ordinary users how we deliberate issues in the staff board. It's kind of a logistical impossibility, since a lot of the information we handle can be controversial or private (and entrusted to us and to no one else), but I still wish there were a way to show our users how we do not by any means rush to answers easily or hastily.

It's sort of obvious you're a Doctor Who fan. Favorite Doctor/episode/whatever?
Laconic: The First Doctor.
Regular: You'll laugh at me, but I really like the Hartnell years. They're nowhere near as technically good as some of the later seasons, but they're so delightfully campy and cheesy at times that I have to love them.

You've mentioned a few times you're a vegetarian. Is that for health reasons or ethical ones?
Laconic: Not quite true, and not for either reason.
Regular: I dislike eating meat on basic principle, but I do eat the occasional bits of chicken. Y'see, I don't hate on meat for health reasons or ethical reasons (though there are very good reasons from both perspectives), but simply because I dislike the taste of meat. It's not very good, or very well-prepared, and no matter how much chicken I could eat, I would never ever EVER touch beef. But as I have a firm belief in trying new things, whenever I visit a new restaurant I ask for a meat dish, so I can know from then on whether to reject it or to have some on later visits. Ironically, this might have the reverse effect of vegetarianism; because I do not like just any meat and do not like a wide variety of it, I visit those places that do have good meat more often. Regardless, as good as some chicken and fish can be, they can only rarely stand up to the yumminess of vegetables and fruits.

You have a strong interest in history, but what about the future? Are there any emerging technologies or trends you're interested in?
Laconic: The future is interesting, and I like some things about it.
Regular: I was raised on history, yes, but I was also raised a sci-fi nerd! I remember that one of my first chapter books in the first grade that I read was the My Teacher is an Alien series, and from there I got way into science and science fiction, particularly ones related to biology and ecology. I have more than a passing interest in transhumanism, particularly in advances that may allow us to live longer, and converting weapons of war into tools of peace. Solar energy, wind farms, you name it. Clean sources of energy are something I look forward to. I'm also a closet audiophile, so I'm hoping for more accessible technology that provides rich, clean sounds.

You seem to have a strong respect for the public library. Does me planning to work as a library professional affect your opinion of me any?
Laconic: Yes.
Regular: I admire your chosen profession greatly! Just don't lapse into being too focused on the details and in so doing lose your amiability.

...actually, what's your opinion of me in general (I understand if you don't want to answer this one)?
Laconic: Good, improving.
Regular: You creeped me out a few weeks ago with your stated stalking of me and my posts, but I figured it was just a one-off thing, and it seems to have been right-- you seem to have been going through a bad patch, in retrospect, and I can understand that. I've gotten to know you better since, and my opinion of you is quite favourable. You really should stop caring that much about what others think, though.

Who's that Ruromon?
Laconic: It's Tenshi Ruronai!

Did you ever get around to reading that paper?
Laconic: I read it the very first day. Didn't I tell you?

:sword!: ?
Laconic: :sword!: >:D

You've discussed androphobia before - how do you deal with encounters with men, when they are unavoidable? And do you find the androphobia fading with time, getting stronger, or pretty much staying the same? If there has been any change, can you explain why that might be?
Regular: If possible, I avoid them-- I don't like this bias in myself, and I resist this when necessary, but if it's not worth fighting with my brain over, I just go with it. But when such encounters are unavoidable, I tend to become much more withdrawn than I normally am, not drawing attention to myself. I find, however, that it is fading with time, and I welcome this change. I think it began when I joined IB, and while IB was predominantly female (to the point of calling ourselves International Bachelorettes as a parody), there were still a handful of guys in IB who were smart, funny, and friendly. And selfless. I was once having fun in a snowball fight when I slipped on some ice and ruined my ankle yet further (it had already gotten injured when jumping over a hurdle on the track earlier that year) when a male friend helped me up and supported me as I limped off. Over a long enough period of time (longer than it should have been tbh), I came to grow more accustomed to the idea of men around me, and while I'm still not entirely comfortable with it, I can live with it.

Who got you into photography? I remember showing you some old Mexican photos that you'd said you were familiar with. Do you have any photos that inspire you in particular?
Regular: My IB English teacher, who was also my yearbook teacher. Sent out to cover stories for the yearbook, I found that I much preferred taking photos of sports and animals to actually writing the articles. I liked it so much that my graduation present to myself (putting my graduation gift money to good use) was a Canon Rebel XSi, because I had already learned how to use the very similar XTi for yearbook class.

And you are referring to the Archivo Casasola, yes? I plan to someday make a pilgrimage to the Fototeca Nacional in Pachuca to see the archives in person. To your second question-- this is a Time Magazine photo, from the Second World War. There is more information here if you are curious. It is one of the few photographs that really stands out in my mind.

Cilantro: yes or no?
Laconic: Yes. Very yes.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Laconic: Hoo boy.
Regular: Um... worst case scenario, dead in a ditch and my camera broken. No one ever finds my body. Best case scenario, writing stories during a short calm in between protests on the street against corporatism. Or teaching history as an IB teacher. Almost everything but a cushy life.

Aren't you glad you live in Denver instead of the Springs?
Laconic: Who wouldn't be?
Regular: Properly, I do not live in Denver-- I live in Aurora, adjacent to Denver. While Aurora is indeed its own city with its own history and NOT A SUBURB, I go to Denver every day, check out books from their public libraries, go to university there, and do some political work there. Either way, Aurora or Denver, I'm jazzed that I don't live in the Vatican of the Rockies like you do. :>

As opposed to your "favorite" piece of fiction, of all the fiction you've read, what piece do you think has the highest literary value?
Laconic: Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.
Regular: I analyzed this novel through and through for my IB English exams, and I found that for such a short novella, it has an enormous amount of depth and subtext. It is short, and it is no epic tale in length, but in scope it is enormous. Rich in symbolism-- indeed, you're probably going to have to have a King James Bible beside you if the copy you have doesn't have good footnotes, since Heart of Darkness makes plentiful use of Biblical allusions-- and infused with a love of contrasts that illuminate the hypocrisy and shortcomings of the major characters (including our narrator), set against the backdrop of one of the most horrifying moments in the history of European and African 'interaction', it's fantastically good for such a short book.

If you could change one event in history, what would it be?
Laconic: See above.
Regular: That said, if I've gotten another chance to change history, I would sabotage the founding of the International Monetary Fund. What's my beef with them? Let's just say that there are a lot of people in the past half-century who have died of starvation or war or thirst that didn't have to if it hadn't been for these people.

When was the last time you received a handwritten letter?
Laconic: Last year.
Regular: My best friend, Stephanie, went to Missouri for college, and she writes to me when I write to her. :3

(Ryougi) Shiki is now the ruler of the world, and you're her right hand. She gives the first move to you. What do you do?
Laconic:
Spoiler:
Kiss it.

Texas weather and Colorado weather get into a fight. Who wins?
Laconic: Texas.
Regular: You see, Colorado weather is extremely tsundere. Texas just has to withstand the blows long enough for Colorado to kiss and hug it.

Why am I your favorite?
Laconic: You're a wonderful person~
Regular: You're much too harsh on yourself sometimes. I'd like to see that change. But as it stands, you're a very interesting person-- which is about the highest compliment I can give, because I can't stand boring people.

What is your favorite thing about legs?
Laconic: Their grace.
Regular: The way they contribute to poise, oddly enough. I came to appreciate good-looking legs as a photographer, because the way they are held and posed can say a lot about a person. Healthy-looking legs I gained an appreciation for because after injuring my own, I notice that which I can never have anymore.

Favorite Quad City DJs mashup?
Laconic: Never heard them, much to my embarassment.

Serious: Why is that, while you're surrounded by many many friends and loved ones, basically having the one thing I always lacked, yet you still yearn to be a lone wanderer and to be living alone? I can understand people like me, we have barely anything to lost, but not you.
Laconic: They have nothing to do with each other.
Regular: I am blessed or cursed with an intensely strong desire to see what is over the next mountain, to live free and experience the world in all its nightmarish horrors and its wild beauties, because they are inseparable from one another. Wanderlust has been strong in my heart ever since I was a child, particularly after I moved out of the enormous metropolis that is Los Angeles and came to the much smaller city of Denver to live in. In a land where wild untamed nature is just a bike ride away, it's hard to resist its call. I love my friends and family, but wanting to go out into the world alone is quite separate from that. I bear no ill will towards those I love, I just really really want to see what is around the corner.

Not-so-Serious: Are you really a Cherokee Warrior in secret?
Laconic: I can neither confirm nor deny this statement at this time.

Why do I feel the urge to change my nick/avatar to Tomoyo right now? (Except that damnit, Matsuri beat me to it.)
Laconic: Switch to Syaoran! :]

How do you interpret Shiki's power to see things in black and white?
Laconic: Chiaroscuro on every level.
Regular: It's less of a gift and more than a curse. I interpret her standards of black and white to be a lot more reasonable than ours; whereas we hear "oh, someone is judging by black and white? They're not acknowledging shades of grey!", she sees a different standard of black and white that does account for actions of that nature. And in art, I like to show it as the Jouhari Mirror reflecting colours in absolutes, but in an inversion of the usual symbolism: black as good, white as bad. White is good for contrasts, after all.

How can you trust the history that you read? What about fictional portrayals of historical eras, which may not hew to pure factual accuracy but can instead convey cultural insight?
Laconic: Research, research, research.
Regular: Research is really the only way to make sure that the history is sound, and even then you can make a lot of mistakes. As you go further back into less well-documented history, it becomes intertwined with myth and legend, and less strictly factual. I actually really like this, because a strict adherence to facts has its own shortcomings, but there are still downfalls. Sometimes, the best I can do is to get all the sources I possibly can, interpret them as honestly as I can, and hope to god that there aren't too many errors in the history I've written, regardless.
As for fictional portrayals, I appreciate that they acknowledge that history and reality are very unrealistic in practice. I like them better than by-the-facts accounts, which give you skeletal structures and tell you nothing about the culture or society that is suspended around them. I can do both, but I prefer sacrificing accuracy for a bigger picture. (Which is why accusations of "THIS ISN'T FACTUAL" simultaneously annoy me and amuse me, because as social anthropology has taught me, as factual as we try to be as researchers, a good amount of our results are infused with our own biases and expectations, and condemning works on the basis of something that is unavoidable is silly.)

Read any Latin American literature? If so, what are your favorites?
Laconic: Definitely not anything by Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez.
Regular: Ironically, the only literature I could say that I read often in Spanish is not from Latin America at all; it's from Spain's Golden Age, mostly by Francisco de Quevedo. That said, my father adores the poetry of Latin America, and so I have grown up with an ear for it, but I could not name any names off the top of my head.
I have read Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez's works, though. And I loathe them. They are stupid in the way The Great Gatsby is stupid, which means that there is a reason why they are stupid and nothing changes in the end, and I can respect that reason. But I still loathe his works. Magical realism is an awful genre (at least the way he does it).

Why the laconicism?
Laconic: Instinct.
Regular: I have to remind myself that speaking only in short, minimalist sentences is not a good thing when doing a question-and-answer thread, the one time I am supposed to be more open with my words. I very much like your avatar and signature images, by the way.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 03:17:16 AM »
And you are referring to the Archivo Casasola, yes? I plan to someday make a pilgrimage to the Fototeca Nacional in Pachuca to see the archives in person. To your second question-- this is a Time Magazine photo, from the Second World War. There is more information here if you are curious. It is one of the few photographs that really stands out in my mind.

Yes, that's what I meant. And thanks for the additional linkage.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 03:27:03 AM »
Koishi is awesome. Why is koishi so awesome? :3

Also, Koishi?

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 03:44:09 AM »
What's the most fun you have ever had playing Touhou? Specific incident, if possible.

If all cellphone cameras had the functionality of Hatate's, would you respect them more?

How is the cat yodeling going? >:D

Why am I your favorite?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:33:07 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 03:54:33 AM »
Laconic: I read it the very first day. Didn't I tell you?
No, as a matter of fact you didn't!  I recall you saying you were busy at the time.  How was, if you remember?

How can I be your favorite?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 04:05:15 AM »
Quote from: Card Captor Sakura
Colorado weather is extremely tsundere.

You know... I never really thought of it that way. But, it kind of makes sense, what with us being so close to the median between the geographic north pole and the equator.

Do you ever plan to move away from Aurora? If so, where? You don't have to be specific to a city if you don't feel like it, but if you're comfortable enough saying that you live in Aurora, CO, I don't know why you wouldn't be comfortable saying where you might want to move.

Also, why am I your most hated enemy?

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2011, 06:15:30 AM »
Lac?nico: El color verde simboliza la vida.
Regular: Por muchas de las mismas razones que me gustan las flores, me gusta el pasto. Verde no es mi color favorito-- eso es rojo-- pero sigue siendo el color del poder de la naturaleza, y debe ser respetado.
Supongo que entonces esto no est? muy lejos de la verdad. Huh.

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2011, 08:06:33 AM »
Do you swear, or use soft swears ("fiddlesticks"), or none at all?
It seems the number of people asking your opinions of them is steadily increasing.  How do you feel about this?

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 09:51:28 AM »
You want to see the world, but the world is large, and you only have the chance to go in a circle (as in one on every continent, US states can be chosen) and see only five countries/states. Which would they be?

You were always like figure of someone in the middle-20ths to me, and you always baffle me when I remember that I'm older than you. How do you do this?

Why no like video games. :(

Why am I not your favorite? :P

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2011, 12:36:08 PM »
Chaore is maintaining enough velocity and grip to wall-run down the stacks. Roukan attempts to divert Chaore with a thrown quill-needle-shuriken, but Chaore leaps from one aisle to the next and rebounds off the stacks there.

How quickly does Ruro lash both of them to a chair and engage in Punishment Time <3?

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2011, 12:58:10 PM »
You want to see the world, but the world is large, and you only have the chance to go in a circle (as in one on every continent, US states can be chosen) and see only five countries/states. Which would they be?
There is only one country in Australia.

Change to:
Top 5 cities in the world?

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2011, 04:55:21 PM »
Koishi is awesome. Why is koishi so awesome? :3

Also, Koishi?
Laconic: Top three.
Regular: Koishi is really quite awesome. If I were more honest, I would say that she is edging up even higher than top three.

What's the most fun you have ever had playing Touhou? Specific incident, if possible.
Laconic: Playing with friends.
Regular: When I was at NDK 2010, I was playing PoFV with the guys in the DDR room. It was my first time using a d-pad instead of a keyboard, and I was having a hilarious time of figuring out how to shoot and do anything. I was playing as Aya (since I was cosplaying as Aya), and I still managed to beat them all. Later, it turned out that we were playing on lunatic. I had a good laugh at that.

If all cellphone cameras had the functionality of Hatate's, would you respect them more?
Laconic: Yes.
Regular: Particularly if they had her abilities in Spoiler stage!

How is the cat yodeling going? >:D
Laconic: Meow.

Why am I your favorite?
Laconic: We bros.
Regular: It's fun to have someone around to bully~

No, as a matter of fact you didn't!  I recall you saying you were busy at the time.  How was, if you remember?
Laconic: Good.
Regular: You have a very different style on academic papers than I do. Not a bad one, just different. I'd like to read more of what you write.

How can I be your favorite?
Laconic: You're more interesting when you're not reducing yourself only to the RAAAAAAAAAAGE gimmick.

Do you ever plan to move away from Aurora? If so, where? You don't have to be specific to a city if you don't feel like it, but if you're comfortable enough saying that you live in Aurora, CO, I don't know why you wouldn't be comfortable saying where you might want to move.
Laconic: No, not really.
Regular: That said, if I had to relocate, it would probably be to one of the other cities of Colorado, most likely Boulder. I don't want to leave this state, it's far too beautiful for that.

Also, why am I your most hated enemy?
Laconic: Because you live in the same city as Focus on the Family and haven't spray-painted the buildings yet.

Why am I the best?  :smug:
Laconic: You are just too confident. I like that. <3

What are your opinions on the girls in Xenophilia?
Laconic: Poor girls.
Regular: I like how your fondness for grimdark means that you don't give them terribly heroic qualities. One is self-sacrificing but selfish at the same time, and the other is cowardly and not very strong. It's surprisingly realistic.

Is there anywhere that you would like to travel to, or visit someday?
Laconic: Everywhere.
Regular: Everywhere, with a guide. As much as I'd like to simply criss-cross the continents, there are surely some places it would be dangerous for me to wander into. That said, I'd jump at the chance to visit Europe, and hopefully I will get my chance next year!

Any book recommendations?
Laconic: Heart of Darkness.
Regular: You like books where in the end, evil wins and goes unpunished and no one is better off? Heart of Darkness is for you. That, and anything written by Lovecraft; The Colour out of Space is a personal favourite.

i become meguca?
Laconic: DO NOT THROW SOULS

Supongo que entonces esto no est? muy lejos de la verdad. Huh.
Laconic: Ahahahah why do you still have that

Do you swear, or use soft swears ("fiddlesticks"), or none at all?
Laconic: All three, depending.
Regular: Going to a private, highly conservative Christian school when I was younger helped me grow disgusted at the hypocrisy of their obsession with swear words, caring more about if someone said "fuck" than about far more important things. I also discovered that they would get mad at me if I called someone a "bitch", but they couldn't do anything but glare if I said "filthy tavern wench" or other such swears. I picked up a lot of soft swears from the Redwall series (which is the book series that really taught me English), and I use them for comedy purposes. But in my regular everyday speech, I don't really swear very much at all-- unless I am playing a game and losing, in which case I start swearing like a sailor.

It seems the number of people asking your opinions of them is steadily increasing.  How do you feel about this?
Laconic: Pleased and intimidated.
Regular: Pleased because I was hoping to talk to more people. Intimidated because in an hour I'm going to Estes Park and won't be back until tomorrow, which gives the questions a while to pile up.

Laconic: Hmm.
Regular: Buenos Aires, Argentina. Fez, Morocco. Granada, Spain. Rome, Italy. Tokyo, Japan. I wish I could pick more, it feels criminal to leave Moscow and London out of my itinerary ;__;

You were always like figure of someone in the middle-20ths to me, and you always baffle me when I remember that I'm older than you. How do you do this?
Laconic: If it makes you feel better/worse, I am regularly confused for a 16-year-old in person and asked for my ID.

Why no like video games. :(
Laconic: Skinner boxes that you have to pay for.
Regular: A rare few of the complaints I have towards video games are exclusive to video games; Donut once turned these on me and said those complaints could be used on books. Fair enough. That said, there are few other mediums in which Skinner Box-like structures show up the way they do in video games, and getting into my head like that isn't something I am particularly willing to allow. I also don't like subscription models.

Why am I not your favorite? :P
Laconic: You use "I'm Hungarian I can't help but feel ____" as a catch-all excuse for everything. Not cool.

Chaore is maintaining enough velocity and grip to wall-run down the stacks. Roukan attempts to divert Chaore with a thrown quill-needle-shuriken, but Chaore leaps from one aisle to the next and rebounds off the stacks there.

How quickly does Ruro lash both of them to a chair and engage in Punishment Time <3?
Regular: The Ruro in Sakura Rurouni's name is homage to Rurouni Kenshin, wherein the protagonist uses his "God-Like Speed" to take down his foes.
Laconic: Guess. ^__^

There is only one country in Australia.

Change to:
Top 5 cities in the world?
Laconic: I think my answer from above still stands.

That's it for now, and I'll be back in 24 hours or so to quail before the pile of questions that come in answer more of your questions!

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2011, 05:24:52 PM »
Meh, as much as I would like to spraypaint that place, I kind of put the law before my own morals some times.

Isn't Estes Park awesome?

Would you say that going to NDK this year is worth the forty dollars I'd have to pay?

Is it true that you're allowed to give History pop-quizzes? I heard that somewhere, but haven't been able to find it in the rules.

Tengukami

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2011, 05:53:53 PM »
As much as I'd like to simply criss-cross the continents, there are surely some places it would be dangerous for me to wander into. That said, I'd jump at the chance to visit Europe, and hopefully I will get my chance next year!

If you do, any plans to stopover in Iceland?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
Asking in advance for Sakana,
If you do, any plans to stopover in Iceland Germany?
:V
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

theshirn

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »
Skinner boxes
I've never heard anyone express that kind of view on video games.  It's interesting.

Do you ever get tired of waiting for Rurot?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2011, 06:32:41 PM »
If you do, any plans to stopover in Iceland Germany Canada?

Any places you want to avoid when travelling?

You're not interested in videogames, but what about board games? Are there any you like in particular?

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2011, 06:34:51 PM »
HI RURO

You know a lot of European history that I don't, and I know a fair amount of Asian history. We should COMBINE AND CONQUER or something.

I didn't like Heart of Darkness; I greatly preferred Things Fall Apart. (This is largely because the author of Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe, felt that Conrad was a bloody racist, which colored my perception of that book when I read it.) Would you be interested in reading Things Fall Apart sometime?

:flowerpower: ?

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2011, 06:36:57 PM »
Laconic: Ahahahah why do you still have that
?Dile gracias a la rata gorda!
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Tan cerca pero tan lejos. :qq:

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »
most likely Boulder
What are you, some kind of college hipster? I hate that damn place.

(I did used to live in Aurora though, right next to Buckley AFB.)

Wait, how long have you lived there? Don't tell me we went to the same middle school, it would be so weird

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2011, 10:54:02 PM »
Do you have a favorite stand-up comic? If so, who is it?

Do you guys have any plans for these threads after all the staffers have been covered, or are you just gonna keep making staffers until the end of time?

Now for the tough one: If you would so indulge us, can you say something negative about your favorite Touhou character(s) and something positive about your least favorite Touhou character(s)?

You have the opportunity to pair me up with one other board member. Who am I paired with?

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

theshirn

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2011, 10:57:10 PM »
Would you like there to be Aya's S2?  Would you participate?

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2011, 12:00:02 AM »
I've never heard anyone express that kind of view on video games.  It's interesting.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Disturbing stuff, innit?

why can't i remember the question i actually had

May we hear your viewtiful singing voice?

Are you still having sleeping problems?

What is your most valued possession?
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »
Laconic: You use "I'm Hungarian I can't help but feel ____" as a catch-all excuse for everything. Not cool.

Ahahahaha, Tack was right, I should give up that shtick of mine already, even if that made people to notice me in the past. I'm actually a Pseudo-Hungarian, raised in Western ways, with only a few Hungarian values, by a weird, asocial family, who also thinks that being weird is fun, and not really being "Hungarian" at all. I guess I'm more noticed nowadays as that weird guy with the fairy-complex and "the one you never argue with" thing than "the Hungarian" anyways.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2011, 03:11:11 AM »
What are your honest opinions of me?

??
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:39:53 PM by herdcrabs »

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2011, 03:27:48 AM »
http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

>MMOS

well that explains a lot about how that article existed

Anyway questions.

>What kind of traits do you think humanity needs to exhibit more of? (Intelligence is not a viable answer. That's too easy.)
>Worst thing you've ever spent time doing?
>What kind of qualities do you look for in good writing and the likes?
>If there was one thing you could take back that you've done, what would it be?
>Finally, what's one misconception about yourself by people you absolutely hate and would like to address?

Tengukami

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2011, 03:38:34 AM »
Can I have your thoughts on Aya and Akyu, in a comparative format?

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2011, 06:15:07 AM »
Out of all the societies that you have some knowledge of, which strikes you as the most alien and difficult to understand through the prism of your own experience?

Are there any books, fiction or nonfiction, that you would like to read, if only they were written?

I very much like your avatar and signature images, by the way.
Thank you! I extracted them from the beautiful doujin Yume Yume Sakura, by Yayuyo.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2011, 10:21:21 AM »
In terms of fiction, what is:
- The one story you wish you'd written yourself?
- The one story you've always meant to read but never gotten around to?
- The one story that you wish you'd NEVER read?
- The one author who you think is most overrated?
- The one author who you think deserves more time in the limelight?

Stupid aside, but have you been following Penguindrum? It's by Ikuhara, and I figured the Utena expy in the OP alone would be enough to win you over. :V

How much attention and effort do you put into OCs like Sumire?

Why is Sango your favourite?

Why do you hate Remi so much, anyway?

:objection!:?

I have one day left of being a teenager. Wha do ;_;