Author Topic: JoJo's Bizarre Grail War Part 2 - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 220868 times)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: JoJo's Bizarre Grail War Part 2 - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #360 on: October 07, 2017, 03:59:42 PM »
Let's try to make the most of the day.

> Keep going until we have about two hours of daylight left. Find a corner store where we can get dinner (and maybe some other provisions) and then look for a place to camp.
> Be sure to find a spot where passing cops won't see us.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #361 on: October 07, 2017, 06:05:03 PM »
> Keep going until we have about two hours of daylight left. Find a corner store where we can get dinner (and maybe some other provisions) and then look for a place to camp.
> Be sure to find a spot where passing cops won't see us.

>You keep on going, leaving the encounter behind you as little more than a memory. Things go reasonably well until you reach Fort Wayne. Directs get a bit difficult to follow, and the traffic doesn't help. You manage to escape after awhile, and carry on toward Toledo. Along the way, ironically enough, you pass by a Sherwood. This leads to a fair deal of explaining to Archer about just how frequently American settlers just stole the names of Old World locations wholesale; such as the Antwerp you passed through 20 minutes prior.
>Soon you reach the Ohio Border. Outwardly the scenery doesn't change much, the same milieu of cornfields and abandoned industry, but it feels more acute here; as if more of the soul had been leeched from the land; as if the colors here simply aren't good enough. Toledo certainly isn't good enough, you don't even properly enter it and it takes nearly an hour to get through the congestion, leaving you staring at dead factories and decaying neighborhoods from the highway, and then Interstate 90.
>Past that, you make some decent time. Two hours til sunset, approximately, has you approaching the unreasonably ominous Commodore Perry Service Plaza, surrounded by listless cornfields. This will be the last offramp for awhile. You may have to strike out a bit to find someplace reasonably free of observation.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #362 on: October 07, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »
> "Well, I was hoping it'd be easier to just pull into the trees and find a place to camp, but I forgot how empty Ohio is..."
> "Let's get something to eat for now."
> In a place this desolate, a motel may not be expensive? Search for an Econo Lodge nearby.
> Burger King is not a proper introduction to the splendor of the burg. Guess we're getting SBARRO?.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #363 on: October 07, 2017, 08:08:08 PM »
> "Well, I was hoping it'd be easier to just pull into the trees and find a place to camp, but I forgot how empty Ohio is..."
> "Let's get something to eat for now."
> In a place this desolate, a motel may not be expensive? Search for an Econo Lodge nearby.
> Burger King is not a proper introduction to the splendor of the burg. Guess we're getting SBARRO?.

>"This land makes me feel sad, and I'm not sure why," says Archer.
>You pull in and make your way toward Sbarros. The service plaza is a thing of brick and glass, a round plaza with a dome  in the center, with an extended curtain cut into a mathematical swoosh. It tries to blend traditional sensibilities with a kind of futurism and fails at both, ending up a bland creation by committee that exudes a kind of apologetic fakeness. You can't even hate it, it's not the building's fault that it's so sad and hokey in its attempt to look at once modern and familiar. Many sad minds went to planning this facility, and crooked contractors no doubt cut every corner possible. It will be demolished before today's kindergartners graduate, if there is any justice. More likely it will continue to be a money pit,
>As you make your way across the parking lot, you idly check your phone for places to stay. The nearest one is a mile away, in a town simply called Clyde, offering about 63 dollars for a night. There are other places, further away, offering similar fares. And a few offering twice that for heaven knows what reasons.
>The inside is like a small airport, but without any of the excitement and a lot more truckers wandering around, you find your goal easily, there's not much here.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #364 on: October 07, 2017, 09:19:39 PM »
your poetic description of the american wasteland fills my heart with a wistful sadness i know all too well, purvis.

> "I think I know why, but it's not easy to put into words..."
> Check out the Sbarro. "This is another pizza place, but it has other things too. You can get a bowl of pasta or a salad, or there's these bread roll things called strombolis with a few different fillings...any of that interest you?"
> Order ourselves a pasta bowl and a thing of breadsticks to share.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #365 on: October 07, 2017, 10:02:48 PM »
> "I think I know why, but it's not easy to put into words..."
> Check out the Sbarro. "This is another pizza place, but it has other things too. You can get a bowl of pasta or a salad, or there's these bread roll things called strombolis with a few different fillings...any of that interest you?"
> Order ourselves a pasta bowl and a thing of breadsticks to share.

>"It's a lot flashier than the last place," says Archer, as you approach the little kiosk, with its sign that makes an effort to be eyecatching and colorful, and only succeeds due to the drabness of the surroundings.
>You get a pasta bowl and some breadsticks. Archer seems intrigued by the notion of covered pizza and gets a few slices of that. When you set down and she actually tries it, you can watch the anticipation in her eyes fade to a kind of dull disappointment. "...It's a lot different than the other place," she says.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #366 on: October 07, 2017, 10:18:40 PM »
> Sigh deeply. I guess there's a reason you never see a Sbarro outside of a food court.
> "Sorry, it's worse than I remembered. You only eat here when you're on the move."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #367 on: October 07, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »
> Sigh deeply. I guess there's a reason you never see a Sbarro outside of a food court.
> "Sorry, it's worse than I remembered. You only eat here when you're on the move."

>"Well. It's better than hardtack, then," says Archer.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #368 on: October 08, 2017, 02:54:44 AM »
> Finish the depressing meal. Can't afford to waste it.
> Look over the travel shop before we remember the outrageous prices involved.
> "I found some lodging nearby that isn't very expensive. We'll stop there tonight and get whatever we need from the store in town."
> Fill up on gas and leave this cursed place behind. Seek the cheapest Econo Lodge in the area (if we can save five bucks, we will.)
> Although, if we do find a wooded area on the way, check it out as a potential campsite.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #369 on: October 08, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
> Finish the depressing meal. Can't afford to waste it.
> Look over the travel shop before we remember the outrageous prices involved.
> "I found some lodging nearby that isn't very expensive. We'll stop there tonight and get whatever we need from the store in town."
> Fill up on gas and leave this cursed place behind. Seek the cheapest Econo Lodge in the area (if we can save five bucks, we will.)
> Although, if we do find a wooded area on the way, check it out as a potential campsite.

>It's not the world thing, but it's less impressive than it should be. The noodles are overdone and the bread sticks are a bit too oily.
>You contemplate the travel shop, before you note everything is way too pricey. And they don't even seem to have anything good, unless you're interested in airport literature for hardliner christians of the Pharisee persuasion.
>You fuel up, and make your way toward the town of Clyde. It stands in the middle of more cornfields, about a mile away from the service plaza. It is a small mid-western town that seems to have grown up not because of any particular reason, but rather because there are no other places within traveling distance that offers as grocery store or access to a DMV, bank, or school to farmers in the area. A town by default. It might have been important once, before the interstate system was implemented. Now it is seems to be mostly home to retirees and people unwilling to risk living near a minority. There are some suburbs here, and you notice there is a bit of uncut forest along the town edge on the way in, running along a little creek. Whether it is a potential campsite....frankly you don't know.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #370 on: October 08, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
> "Oh, let's scope out this spot right here."
> Take a few minutes to check it out. If anyone asks, we're just going for a little walk!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #371 on: October 08, 2017, 02:01:29 PM »
> "Oh, let's scope out this spot right here."
> Take a few minutes to check it out. If anyone asks, we're just going for a little walk!

>You pull over into the little woods.
>It's...more or less functionally identical to the woods that you met Lancer and his Master in. Younger growth trees, not too much undergrowth, the ground is fairly flat.The trees are probably different kinds, but you can't really tell them apart to much. Aside from the odd mosquito, it seems like a nice enough place to pitch a tent?

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #372 on: October 08, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
> "Hm...what do you think, Archer, will anyone see us from the road?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #373 on: October 08, 2017, 03:50:39 PM »
> "Hm...what do you think, Archer, will anyone see us from the road?"

>"If we go deep enough in, it should be fine," says Archer.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #374 on: October 08, 2017, 06:07:18 PM »
> Okay! Return to car, and find a corner store to pick a few things up.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #375 on: October 08, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
> Okay! Return to car, and find a corner store to pick a few things up.

>You backtrack to your car and carry on toward the local Circle K. It is open!
>What are you looking for?

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #376 on: October 08, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »
> Any toiletries required, obviously.
> Food, probably leaning more towards junk food, but try to get a few campfire-friendly things that will keep in a cooler too (i.e. hotdogs).
> If we don't have a cooler, get one.
> One of those huge $5 packs of bottled water.
> A six-pack of beer can probably be forgiven.
> A keychain flashlight that is not obviously a piece of shit may be a wise investment.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #377 on: October 08, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »
> Any toiletries required, obviously.
> Food, probably leaning more towards junk food, but try to get a few campfire-friendly things that will keep in a cooler too (i.e. hotdogs).
> If we don't have a cooler, get one.
> One of those huge $5 packs of bottled water.
> A six-pack of beer can probably be forgiven.
> A keychain flashlight that is not obviously a piece of shit may be a wise investment.

>You get all of these things. Your junk food doesn't really need to be replenished, thankfully. You are down about 25 dollars; not too bad. Archer  prowls through the store, and seems puzzled by the swirling of the slushie machine; you suspect she doesn't really recognize what most of the other things there are.

>_

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #378 on: October 08, 2017, 09:54:04 PM »
> "Do you want a slushie? It's ice mixed with candy fruit flavoring."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #379 on: October 08, 2017, 10:44:06 PM »
> "Do you want a slushie? It's ice mixed with candy fruit flavoring."

>"Is it expensive?" she says.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #380 on: October 08, 2017, 11:43:41 PM »
they better not be, it's corn syrup with ice :V

what are they, like a dollar?

EDIT:

> "Not at all. Pick one out, I'll go ring it up."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:16:37 AM by Stuffman »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #381 on: October 09, 2017, 12:35:21 AM »
> "Not at all. Pick one out, I'll go ring it up."

>To Archer's credit, she figures out how it actually works pretty quickly. Or she spent the time she was staring at it earlier puzzling it all out.
>You are down 26 dollars, but have gained a cooler full of things.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #382 on: October 09, 2017, 01:38:34 AM »
> What flavor did she get?
> Now we're well-stocked for an extended camping trip! Return to the spot we found earlier and set up for the night.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #383 on: October 09, 2017, 02:24:38 AM »
> What flavor did she get?
> Now we're well-stocked for an extended camping trip! Return to the spot we found earlier and set up for the night.

>It seems she opted for strawberry. Bright red probably looks more edible.
>You trek back to the forest. Where you you intend to park for the long term?

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #384 on: October 09, 2017, 03:11:49 AM »
Uh...good question.

> Any parking lots nearby big enough that overnight parking would likely be ignored?
> Failing that: "Uh, this is probably asking a lot, but can you think of any way to hide the car? If we leave it on the side of the road the police will give me a parking ticket. Or maybe even tow it away."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #385 on: October 09, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »
> Any parking lots nearby big enough that overnight parking would likely be ignored?
> Failing that: "Uh, this is probably asking a lot, but can you think of any way to hide the car? If we leave it on the side of the road the police will give me a parking ticket. Or maybe even tow it away."

>Not likely, but if you're lucky it might be ignored anyways. You've also seem someone resting a semi truck on the edge of a field.
>"I could pick them off if they try to do anything," says Archer.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #386 on: October 09, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »
> "No, no shooting anyone, please."
> Spend a minute googling laws for leaving a car on the side of the road. [note: i can't find anything on ohio law specifically, so let's say she can't either :V ]
> "If this is right, I can leave the car there for up to 24 hours without it getting towed. I just need to leave a note so nobody comes looking for us."
> Leave a note in the window. "Engine trouble. Staying at motel nearby until morning. [our phone number]"
> That oughta do it!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #387 on: October 09, 2017, 04:42:52 PM »
> "No, no shooting anyone, please."
> Spend a minute googling laws for leaving a car on the side of the road. [note: i can't find anything on ohio law specifically, so let's say she can't either :V ]
> "If this is right, I can leave the car there for up to 24 hours without it getting towed. I just need to leave a note so nobody comes looking for us."
> Leave a note in the window. "Engine trouble. Staying at motel nearby until morning. [our phone number]"
> That oughta do it!

>"Well, I wanted you to know all of your options.
>You leave a note on the windshield; hopefully that will stop overzealous local police eager to drain ticket money from someone out of state!

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #388 on: October 09, 2017, 04:46:13 PM »
> Let's get camp set up!
> Then relax, I guess.
> Hold off on a fire for now. If we see lights from the road, they can probably see our fire too.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #389 on: October 09, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
> Let's get camp set up!
> Then relax, I guess.
> Hold off on a fire for now. If we see lights from the road, they can probably see our fire too.

>You set up camp! Or rather, you fumble with it for a bit before Archer finally does it for you.
>You relax, and quickly find there is little to do when you're sitting in a tent.
>You can definitely see lights, so a fire will be visible.

>_