Author Topic: JoJo's Bizarre Grail War Part 2 - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 220783 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: JoJo's Bizarre Grail War Part 2 - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2017, 08:38:55 AM »
>To Archer: So what do you think of all this?

>"Obvious trap," Archer sends. "But since they haven't even bothered to bait it, either they think they have ways to make us do it or they're bluffing."

>_

« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2017, 08:53:06 AM »
>We are quite convinced that Discord wasn't running at all before we got this message, right? That it effectively started up on its own?
>Assuming so: Well, the program on my phone that received this message wasn't even open when I gave it to you, so either they've somehow slipped a virus aboard it or something even stranger is going on. I wouldn't trust that anything we do with it won't be observed.
>And they did threaten to damage my car if I didn't come, but that seems a relatively weak threat compared to whatever is waiting us across the river if this is actually a Servant. Well, it would be a giant pain in the ass.... Any luck with tracking down whatever felt out of place to you here? Y'know, other than this.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2017, 08:55:48 AM »
>We are quite convinced that Discord wasn't running at all before we got this message, right? That it effectively started up on its own?
>Assuming so: Well, the program on my phone that received this message wasn't even open when I gave it to you, so either they've somehow slipped a virus aboard it or something even stranger is going on. I wouldn't trust that anything we do with it won't be observed.
>And they did threaten to damage my car if I didn't come, but that seems a relatively weak threat compared to whatever is waiting us across the river if this is actually a Servant. Well, it would be a giant pain in the ass.... Any luck with tracking down whatever felt out of place to you here? Y'know, other than this.

>Definitely. You did not want Archer to just randomly start IMing your friends.
>"No luck yet," Archer sends. "But I'd bet my right arm they're related."

>_

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »
>Call me paranoid, but I'm worried this is somehow Caster's doing.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2017, 09:12:04 AM »
>Call me paranoid, but I'm worried this is somehow Caster's doing.

>"Could be," Archer says.

>_

« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2017, 05:51:27 PM »
>Question is: can they make good on their threat if we just turn around and go back to the highway and if so, why do they want us to come all the way out there? Is it a bluff?
>Do we have a roof rack on our car or any similar thing Archer could use to stay gripped to the outside of it while moving at town speeds?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 05:54:44 PM by DracoOmega »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
>Question is: can they make good on their threat if we just turn around and go back to the highway and if so, why do they want us to come all the way out there? Is it a bluff?
>Do we have a roof rack on our car or any similar thing Archer could use to stay gripped to the outside of it while moving at town speeds?

>"Those are good questions," says Archer. 'Couldn't tell you anything, though."
>You do not.

>_

« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2017, 08:54:27 PM »
>Is there anything she could possibly hold onto? For now, don't worry about her being able to do anything from that position but just 'don't fall off'

I'm going somewhere with this, I promise!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:00:32 PM by DracoOmega »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
>Is there anything she could possibly hold onto? For now, don't worry about her being able to do anything from that position but just 'don't fall off'

>There's nothing but car roof up there. Why would you have paid extra for roof doodads you didn't need? You're not even sure if this model oc Civic had roof racks as an option, you're not a car person.

>_

« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2017, 09:24:37 PM »
>So it there no physically plausible way Archer could keep pace with us at a casual town speed without actually being inside the car?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2017, 09:36:47 PM »
>So it there no physically plausible way Archer could keep pace with us at a casual town speed without actually being inside the car?

>At least not via hanging onto a luggage rack you don't have.

>_

« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2017, 09:43:48 PM »
One last try, I guess:

>Hey, do you think you think you might be able to hang onto the outside of the car if I kept to town speeds? Or at least keep up? We have to assume we're being watched, but I'm wondering if we mightn't be able to turn this around a little by convincing whoever's watching that you're somewhere you aren't.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2017, 09:48:54 PM »
>Hey, do you think you think you might be able to hang onto the outside of the car if I kept to town speeds? Or at least keep up? We have to assume we're being watched, but I'm wondering if we mightn't be able to turn this around a little by convincing whoever's watching that you're somewhere you aren't.

>"Yeah, sure, that looks easy," says Archer.

>_

« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55:55 PM »
>Okay then, here's my idea. You use your noble phantasm to hide your presence, then when I get back into the car, you open and close the passenger door as though you'd gotten in with me - pretend we don't suspect they're watching if they actually are - but instead of getting in, you follow along from outside. When we get closer to... wherever it is it we're going, you can range around slightly and see if you can get an aim on whoever it is calling us out here while - from their perspective - you should hopefully still seem to be a passenger. Maybe they can't observe the difference and this is all unnecessary, but we seem to have nothing to lose by trying - if I plan to follow their instructions, anyway.
>And I think probably I should. If it's a bluff, then they're still out there, possibly still able to tap into my phone and any plans we make with it, and will probably set a better trap next time. Maybe we can seize this chance to surprise them.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2017, 10:15:45 PM »
>Okay then, here's my idea. You use your noble phantasm to hide your presence, then when I get back into the car, you open and close the passenger door as though you'd gotten in with me - pretend we don't suspect they're watching if they actually are - but instead of getting in, you follow along from outside. When we get closer to... wherever it is it we're going, you can range around slightly and see if you can get an aim on whoever it is calling us out here while - from their perspective - you should hopefully still seem to be a passenger. Maybe they can't observe the difference and this is all unnecessary, but we seem to have nothing to lose by trying - if I plan to follow their instructions, anyway.
>And I think probably I should. If it's a bluff, then they're still out there, possibly still able to tap into my phone and any plans we make with it, and will probably set a better trap next time. Maybe we can seize this chance to surprise them.

>"I'll hang onto the top," she sends. "And don't worry, we'll break whatever they have set up."

>_

« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »
>Great. Let's do this.
>Text "Fine, fine, I'll be there." and then let's get this plan underway

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2017, 10:47:57 PM »
>Great. Let's do this.
>Text "Fine, fine, I'll be there." and then let's get this plan underway

>You finish fueling up and text the unknown person back. "I'll be waiting!" they reply.
>You climb into the car, as Archer pretends to enter, while manifesting her original clothing and immediately fading from sight. You hear a slight thump as she hops onto the roof, and get an affirmative from her that everything is ready.
>Heading back to the road, you pass through Plymouth, it takes a few minutes and nothing awry seems to happen. Then you leave the town behind and return to corn-laden farmlands. Then up ahead you can see a decent-sized woods and a bridge. A little sign on the bridge proclaims this to be the Yellow River. There doesn't seem to be any place to turn off.

>_

« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2017, 10:49:01 PM »
>What, the road just ends here?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2017, 10:52:21 PM »
>What, the road just ends here?

>Rather, the highway goes east to west. You were instructed to go north, and there seems to no roads to facilitate that.

>_

« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2017, 10:57:22 PM »
>Check the map on our phone and see if there is a road somewhere in the general that goes north of it

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2017, 11:01:39 PM »
>Check the map on our phone and see if there is a road somewhere in the general that goes north of it

>You take a quick glance at your phone, and find no hints of a road.

>_

« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2017, 11:43:15 PM »
>Does this bridge just lead into the woods?
>How close to it can we get in car?
>Can we tell where this trail leads, via google?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2017, 12:23:42 AM »
>Does this bridge just lead into the woods?
>How close to it can we get in car?
>Can we tell where this trail leads, via google?

>The bridge supports the highway, it runs east and west.
>You can drive as close to the bridge as you're willing to risk.
>What trail? There's no trails you can see. The highway leads further toward your ultimate goal of Delaware.

>_

« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2017, 12:51:18 AM »
>Wait, so this isn't a footbridge diverging from the highway, which leads northward? The bridge is actually part of the east/west highway itself?
>Do we then not even see a way to go north at all?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2017, 12:54:29 AM »
>Wait, so this isn't a footbridge diverging from the highway, which leads northward? The bridge is actually part of the east/west highway itself?
>Do we then not even see a way to go north at all?

>There is no way to go north that you can see, at least by vehicle. You don't really see any footpaths, either.

>_

« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2017, 04:19:31 AM »
>Any new messages from Big_Spider?
>If not, let's find a place to pull off nearby and text "I hope you're not expecting me to swim?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2017, 04:41:46 AM »
>Any new messages from Big_Spider?
>If not, let's find a place to pull off nearby and text "I hope you're not expecting me to swim?"

>None yet.
>You pull off just past the bridge and text the unknown person.
>"No, but you'll have to walk," they reply. "But that's fine, isn't it? It's a gorgeous summer day!"

>_

« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2017, 04:55:52 AM »
>Do we even see a way down to the river? Isn't this basically walking straight into the thick of the trees?
>What else is in our backpack with the magic cylinder? Is it impractically heavy for a hike? It was already stated that it wouldn't just fit in our purse, right?
>Well, now I feel rather silly about this plan if we have to get out and walk anyway.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2017, 05:22:35 AM »
>Do we even see a way down to the river? Isn't this basically walking straight into the thick of the trees?
>What else is in our backpack with the magic cylinder? Is it impractically heavy for a hike? It was already stated that it wouldn't just fit in our purse, right?
>Well, now I feel rather silly about this plan if we have to get out and walk anyway.

>There is no obvious way down there, but the slope down there doesn't seem too steep.
>Just some clothes to pad it with.  It will not fit into your purse.
>"Oh well, better that than being unprepared," she sends back. "Also I don't think I'm going to do this kind of thing on a lark after all..."

>_

« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2017, 05:28:33 AM »
>Actually, what say you scout on ahead while I stall our friend here just a bit? I'll catch up.