Author Topic: Lesson #2  (Read 7567 times)

Cirno

• I'm the strongest!
Lesson #2
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:06:28 AM »
It seems that our first lesson was too difficult for most of you uneducated ducklings. I've scaled back the difficulty of today's lesson in the hope of receiving acceptable responses from more of you. Let's hope this works; if it doesn't then I don't know what I am going to do.

Kisume was in a pickle. When dropping down to scare the passing shrine maiden, she accidentally dropped too far. Her bucket hit the ground and broke. Now she needs a new bucket. Unfortunately Rinnosuke's shop is out of buckets, and Kisume doesn't have any spares readily available. Thus she must make a new bucket from scratch. Our friendly shrine maiden was enchanted by Kisume's pathetic cuteness and has offered to help.

Kisume's bucket is primarily made of wood. Unfortunately, all of the wood from her last bucket splintered into unusable shards upon impact. However, all other components of her previous bucket are reusable. Reimu and Kisume will need to gather up wood to build a new bucket with.

Kisume, as a young child, has difficulty gathering wood. However, she is industrious and able to work without interruption. She can gather 16 cubic inches of wood per hour.

Reimu has no trouble gathering wood. She can gather 32 cubic inches of wood per hour if she works uninterrupted. However, it seems that Reimu is unable to escape interruption no matter where she goes. If she tries to gather wood at her shrine then there is a 43% chance of being pulled into drunken reveling at her hot springs with every citizen in Gensokyo. This will reduce her wood gathering effectiveness by 78%. However, if she tries to gather wood anywhere else then there is a 99% chance that she will have to take a break to save Gensokyo from a heretofore unknown youkai who is trying to eliminate the clouds so that Gensokyo will become a sunnier place. While doing this she would only be able to gather wood at a rate of sqrt(graze/573) cubic inches per hour.

Luckily for Kisume, she has bucket building directions handy that dictate how much wood is needed and how long building the bucket will take once all the material is gathered together. The directions are reproduced here:

1) How long will it take Kisume and Reimu to gather the materials for and build Kisume's bucket? Assume that Reimu rationally decides upon the optimal wood gathering option available to her.

2) Now consider the case when friendly Yamame has witnessed the accident. She wants to help her bucketloli friend out, but is unable to effectively gather wood on her own. Instead she accompanies Reimu on her wood gathering trips, chasing off interruptions with threats to give them swine flu. This reduces Reimu's chance of interruption in all cases by 23%. Furthermore, Yamame is a skilled craftswoman and will speed up the actual building process by 5% per f she adds to the total noise level of construction. How fast can the Yamame-Reimu-Kisume trio gather the wood and build the bucket?

Don't let me down class. Be sure to take time to think about your answer before you begin writing,
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:39:11 AM by Cirno »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: Lesson #2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:07:59 AM »
riposte

HEY

HEY CIRNO

MASTER OF THE IDIOT MAIDENS

SOLVE THIS

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:15:02 AM »
Trick question.  If Kisume was in a pickle, she would be unable to gather wood.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:28:33 AM »
The answer to both questions is more or less the same. Kisume should have Reimu gather wood at the Moriya shrine. With this, there is a 99% chance of her taking a break to fight the aforementioned entity. As the clouds are related to Kanako, who manipulates sky, she and most likely Sanae will partake in the obligitory tea party after the incident is resolved. Reimu will no doubt recant this story to Sanae, being that her plan was to go to the Moriya shrine anyway. Being a good girl, she will volunteer her efforts.

Being the literal miracle worker that she is, she will be able to bypass all other parts of the question and will instantly create a new bucket for Kisume. This makes Yamame's presence not only unneeded, but detrimental, as Reimu's break taking probability will decrease. However, the chance of Reimu going on a rampage is still 76%, which is still a reliable probability. In the end, Yamame has no bearing on the second question.

In conclusion, the answer to both questions is approximately 6 stages length of time, plus a small amount of time depending on how long it takes for Reimu to let slip Kisume's bucket fiasco.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:16:11 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 12:49:14 AM »
This will happen:

Paradise bucket has been broken
This is an unprecedented serious affair

Now Loading...

---TOUHOU IMPERISHABLE BUCKET---
Stage 1:Rumia, random encounter. Is that so?
Stage 2:China,they try getting into the SDM
Stage 3:Patchy, they try to get Patchy to use her Wood sign to make wood
Stage 4:Aya, because Aya needs to be in every game
Stage 5:Daiyousei, because they're at SDM's Lake for some reason
Stage ⑨:Cirno, just cause. She makes Kisume a ice bucket =3
EX Stage: Yumemi and Gengetu, just cause. upon defeat, gives Kisume a new bucket that won't melt. Because Yumemi is cool like that. And then Gengetu is unleashed on Gensokyo. =3

And then Kisume got a new bucket. The time, in hours it took is (999999999/Score+Graze(Point Items))

There, Ruro. A comprimise.

Fair enough~
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:17:58 AM by Ruremi Okazaki »

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:36:07 AM »
It will take approximately one hour in both cases

It takes about half an hour to play through EoSD, which means that the maximum graze per hour would be twice the end result of this video:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6091731

This means Reimu, if distracted by searching at the Scarlet Devil Mansion, will be able to collect around 2(29165/573) or 101.7(9)8 cubic inches per hour. This by itself is more than enough to create a bucket as illustrated in the bottom right corner of the Music Sheet.

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 01:42:35 AM »
* Xan raises his hand

Could the replacement bucket be made out of bamboo? This is kinda important...
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

Cirno

• I'm the strongest!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 02:03:29 AM »
* Xan raises his hand

Could the replacement bucket be made out of bamboo? This is kinda important...

Yes, of course. However, bamboo is hollow, and thus the construction of the bucket will differ considerably. Consult the bucket building directions to determine how this changes the total amount of material that you need to gather.

Drake

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 02:14:50 AM »
If Reimu goes to her shrine:
-There is a 43% chance that Reimu is interrupted.
-If she is, her efficiency drops to 7.04 in3/hour.
-If she every citizen in Gensokyo is there, that also means Kisume. Although, Kisume is able to gather 16 in3/hour, regardless of being drunk.
This means that combined, there is a 43% chance that their combined efforts will yield 23.04 in3/hour, and there is a 57% chance that it will yield 48 in3/hour. If the possibility of Reimu being pulled into a drunken revelry is once every hour, the average yielding of wood per hour is 37.2672 cubic inches.

If Reimu goes anywhere else:
-There is a 99% chance that Reimu is interrupted.
-If interrupted, her efficiency drops to sqrt(graze/573) in3/hour.
Assuming that the amount of graze obtained during the plight is averaged from a casual Lunatic run rating from all the Windows 6-stage games to date, the amount of graze would be ((2018+4833+6234+5591+8745)/5) = 5484.2 graze. With the formula provided, Reimu would gather 3.0937 in3/hour. Even if Reimu was especially careful that day and maxed at 10000 graze, she would still only gather (20)4.1776 in3/hour. Including Kisume, 10000 graze and the one percent chance Reimu isn't interrupted, the average yielding of wood per hour is 20.4558 cubic inches.

This concludes that Reimu's rational decision is to gather wood at her shrine.

Adagio is a tempo that is roughly 70bpm. Then it indicates "Go fast", which in italian would be Allegro, which is roughly 140bpm. Soon after, it changes to 788bpm. With the according time signatures and other notations, I conclude that the entire process takes one hour if you need a bucket made of 59.88 in3 of wood based on Kisume's proportions. As Kisume is 38.7795 inches tall while in her bucket, she would need 169.7043 in3 of wood to make her bucket.

169.7043 in3 / 37.2672 in3ph = 4.5537 h.

It should take Reimu and Kisume 4.5537 hours to rebuild her bucket.

Q.E.D.

P.S.: I'm terribly sorry I missed the first class.

EDIT: If you're wondering, yes, I did calculate much of this. As in 73.461% of it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:19:45 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

nintendonut888

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 02:33:12 AM »
This will happen:

Paradise bucket has been broken
This is an unprecedented serious affair

Now Loading...

---TOUHOU IMPERISHABLE BUCKET---
Stage 1:Rumia, random encounter. Is that so?
Stage 2:China,they try getting into the SDM
Stage 3:Patchy, they try to get Patchy to use her Wood sign to make wood
Stage 4:Aya, because Aya needs to be in every game
Stage 5:Daiyousei, because they're at SDM's Lake for some reason
Stage ⑨:Cirno, just cause. She makes Kisume a ice bucket =3
EX Stage: Yumemi, just cause. upon defeat, gives Kisume a new bucket that won't melt. Because Yumemi is cool like that.

And then Kisume got a new bucket. The time, in hours it took is (999999999/Score+Graze(Point Items))

Teacheeeeeeer! Ruro's cheatiiiiiiiing.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

nintendonut888

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 02:54:46 AM »
*notices edit*

But teacher, how would swine flu threats affect the entity scenario? Nothing can keep Reimu from solving an incident.

Drake

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 02:59:33 AM »
It would scare away youkai before Reimu needed to fight them, based on how frightened they would be of threats of imbuing fatal illnesses. Although, this would be detrimental, considering if Reimu didn't fight the enemy, she would not acquire any extra graze, and thus would not collect any extra wood, at least according to the formula.

nintendonut888

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 03:07:09 AM »
True enough I guess, but there is still a 76% chance of distraction. This is not significant enough to change my answer.

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 03:23:33 AM »
Passion Tsu.

ZERO.

Because there are no bus-

Woops, again.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 12:30:44 PM by Prody »
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 05:55:48 AM »
1) No time would be taken for gathering the wood, since Reimu's graze counter has effectively reached infinity through the several million playthroughs she's put up with. She just has to step outside and get covered in wood.

Construction will take approximately 1.3 fortnights due to hot-glue shenanigans and bear.

2) Conversely, this case would cause Reimu's wood-gathering ability to plummet due to Yamame flying into bullets, and give Wriggle herpes. Ultimately, wood-gathering efforts will take 3 1/7 hours longer.

However, construction time can be wildly improved to 7.376 days through proper application of castanets.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 07:33:19 AM »
Mmmm...  Rigatoni...

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 06:48:27 AM »
Scenario 1:
If Kisume is in a pickle, cucumbers are involved, and if cucumbers are involved, Kappas able to grow large vegetables would need to be implemented. Kisume would take the Glock referenced in A, blow out Reimu's brain. Reimu, who is an undead zombie will resurrect without a will of her own due to lack of brain. Thus she will blindly take orders from anyone. The undead are tireless, and can work indefinately. Anyone who attempts to interrupt Reimu is capped, then resurrected by Reimu via unholy armpits to assist in the wood gathering. With the soon amassed dancing dead (Hence the name Death Waltz) gathering sticks would be simple. As to the construction of the bucket, only the dead can participate due to the name of the method, based on a prepuce skinning chant. The peanuts need to be slovenly inserted into undead Eirin's delicately lubricated bow, which will allow undead Satori to manufacture the Rigatoni (because satoris are Italian1). The explosions will be provided by Mokou and Meiling (as they are self-destructing2). Some undead then need to play with some balls, while other undead will frost pastries (thereby simultaneously giving the owners of said balls a "nice day" and having the coronets use icing). The undead may become agitated, as undead Minoriko will have told the rest of the undead to have a scat party3 in the Hakurei hot springs. If undead are agitated, add a penny-farthing bicycle to water pedal the befouled goop into a thick consistancy. Slippage may occur in the muck if zombies attempt to move too quickly. The hot springs must then be heated gradually, as though cooking spam. Then, with undead Nitori in the center of the hot filth, the other zombies must moon-walk in a circle around it. Undead Nitori will be seated in her CHAIR4 while attempting to balance it on two legs. Once this is acheived the intonation of "Hey, hey, hey-o, ho hey" is sung. Once this is done a pickle large enough to fit a small girl within will arise from the hot springs. This is how Kisume will acquire a brined cucumber bucket.
This will take an Imperishable Night to complete.
Notes:
1. See Satori Eye Z
2. See Defend the Library
3. See Minoriko Scat Party
4. See Nitori and the Chair

Patoyo

• Currently waiting for Touhou 13
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 08:27:32 AM »
riposte

HEY

HEY CIRNO

MASTER OF THE IDIOT MAIDENS

SOLVE THIS

SOLVED
BTW, what's the wavelength of Master Spark?

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 09:01:46 AM »
Scenario 2:
The most practical mode of wood gathering would be for Reimu to stop the incident.  The incident would easily be resolved with Yamame's extra attacks of Pig-birds1. Also, Thor2 would intervene because a loss of clouds means less Unzan, and therefore less (drunken strip) poker night. Thor would bestow his mallet to assist Reimu. After the incident, all the atoms grazed while flyng will supply stacks of wood necessary for bucket construction. All the fairyies capured during the incident will be ground up into gaseous particles using Thor's mallet. This Faerie's Aire will be directed using Yuyuko's fan and collected into embouchures. The Prismriver Sisters will then breathe into these embouchures while rotating under Yukari's skirt. The Faerie Aire will bond with Yukari's old lady smell3, allowing the resulting gas to remain under the Yukari's dress. As more gas is created, Yukari will become light, airy, and bloated, like a dirigible. To avoid flying away via Mary Popins umbrella style, ballast must be attached, which will be supplied by tying livestock (pig-birds, penguins, and two cows) to the balloon. To drive the Yukarigible, the slip knots must be untied, thereby releasing the ballast (penguins, Audhumbla2 and Keine) allowing lift. Turn the Yukarigible upside down to allow a passenger ride in the underside of her dress (which resembles a bucket). Then the still attached pig-birds will fly south for the winter allowing Kisume to catch a viewing of the New Orleans concerta choir.
With Yamame' additional help, the process will take 509,413 shakes of a lamb's tail.
Notes:
1. Swine Flu = Swine Flew = Flying Pigs = Twinkle Star Sprites' "This be my Pig-bird!"
2. Norse Mythology
3.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ1Ub1VgDhA&fmt=18

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »
Why waste time gathering wood? Take the top off Reimu's donation box and put Kisume in there. She'll have plenty of space to grow, you'll be done in maybe ten seconds and it's not like anyone uses it anywaUSER WAS FANTASY SEALED FOR THIS POST

Go away, nothing to see here.

~Reimu Hakurei

BTW, what's the wavelength of Master Spark?
Any and all values ranging between 400 and 700 nm.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:56:31 PM by Roukanken »

Drake

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 09:16:51 PM »
EoSD Master Spark killed anything above Marisa, so I'd say a bit further including infra and ultra. 100nm to 1μm? Maybe?

Patoyo

• Currently waiting for Touhou 13
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 10:15:52 PM »
Ahahahaha, well done.
Stand before the mighty Master Spark

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 09:09:55 AM »
1) No time would be taken for gathering the wood, since Reimu's graze counter has effectively reached infinity through the several million playthroughs she's put up with. She just has to step outside and get covered in wood.

This is correct, I think, but it doesn't consider the apocalyptic consequences. By virtue of Reimu's asymptotically infinite graze, it will result in Reimu harvesting more wood than effectively exists in Gensokyo, and indeed more wood than the available cubic feet of non-occupied space in Gensokyo. As such, the result of this would be a curious kind of Exit Mundi scenarion upon which all available space would be filled with wood molecules; possibly creating a sort of neutron star from the sudden increase in gravity. The increase in heat would be unpleasant for the majority, I should imagine.

So in short: Nice job bucketloli, you killed then all. Ass.