Author Topic: There is no escape. <3  (Read 63791 times)

Gpop

Re: There is no escape. <3
« Reply #660 on: May 10, 2009, 07:07:05 PM »
Also post #10000 get!

Dragoshi

• Some sort of lurking trainwreck
  • May or may not exist. Possibly. Maybe.
« Reply #661 on: May 10, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »

Is it wrong that I find it hilarious that 2% of the audience thinks that it's MARS?
All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #662 on: May 10, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »
._. Okay, serious time. Without warning, my computer screen suddenly went fuzzy, and turned off. After that, steam rose out of the back of my computer. Not only that, but the room now smells of electricity. Obviously, it was a temporary thing, but I'm not sure if it's a sudden one in a million chance or a bad sign. :( I'd assume it overheated, but still...if I suddenly disappear without warning, you know why...
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #663 on: May 10, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
Your PSU is dying.

Hope you can replace your computer soon, because it's not going to last very long.

nintendonut888

« Reply #664 on: May 10, 2009, 08:42:39 PM »
PSU? What's that?

Power Supply Unit.
So my computer's not long for the world...

;_;

Get a new computer before it's too late. ;_; I'm going to miss you. Or get a new Power Supply, but I don't know how well it will work with your computer. I got a good power supply for about 65 dollars.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:47:35 PM by Kanguya Yaraisan »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #665 on: May 10, 2009, 08:44:27 PM »

nintendonut888

« Reply #666 on: May 10, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
...How much longer would you say I have?

Also, I don't have an external hard drive...and we can't afford a new computer ATM... :'(

Edible

« Reply #667 on: May 10, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
Well.  I assume you meant smoke and not steam.

If it was actually steam, it's possible something leaked into your computer and temporarily shorted something out.  Which is not as bad as the PSU dying, but was potentially fatal anyway; that usually causes irreparable damage to the computer.

...How much longer would you say I have?

Impossible to say.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Also, I don't have an external hard drive...and we can't afford a new computer ATM... :'(

Hope you like dumpster diving.  Or see if your school has old tech they're planning on ditching.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:49:16 PM by Edible »

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #668 on: May 10, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »
Your internal harddrive will be fine ('less the dieing PSU shorts it out, haven't seen that happen before).  If you want to try your hand at DIY computer repair, you could buy a new PSU and install it.  It'll save you a lot of money getting a whole new computer.  Then again, it might not be the PSU...

When the screen fuzzed out and went blank, was the compy still running?  Or did it shut down?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:50:35 PM by Arekku »

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #669 on: May 10, 2009, 08:49:58 PM »
Power supply units aren't very hard to install, they aren't that expensive either. Just get someone at a best buy or something to install it for you if you can't do it yourself.

Gpop

« Reply #670 on: May 10, 2009, 08:53:09 PM »
Yeah it's your PSU. Same thing happened with my AC outlet for my laptop, which also overheated while I was in Italy last year, but mostly because the converter we used wasn't very effective -_-.

I don't know about PC's, but you'll have to get a new one from your manufacturer, but it's better to get a new PC, although you'll have to settle with Vista =/. It's not much of a problem really, other than you'll get a lot of security pop-ups.

nintendonut888

« Reply #671 on: May 10, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »
When I say steam, I mean a small whisp that lasted a few seconds. It wasn't dark smoke.

So I copied all my pictures of worth to one of my two USB ports (2 and 4 gigs each). Most of their space is filled with Touhou, but there was enough space...

We wanted to wait until Windows 7 came out before getting a new computer, but at this rate we may have to get one sooner than that...

I would say that even if it died, I would be able to see you guys at lunchtime, but school's almost out... :'(

Library! Cellphone!

I don't have a cell phone. Library's plausible, but considering how far away I live from town It'd be quite a journey to make to talk to you guys every day...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:01:27 PM by nintendonut888 »

Edible

« Reply #672 on: May 10, 2009, 08:56:38 PM »
You said the smell was "electricity" - describe that?

If it's what I'm thinking of, it's the PSU.  If it smelled like evaporated whatever-beverage-you-or-a-family-member-was-drinking, it's my second guess.

nintendonut888

« Reply #673 on: May 10, 2009, 08:59:04 PM »
I mean the smell of electronic devices. Like the smell of a room full of computers.

...*sigh* I always curse my computer for not working, but at times like this I realize how much I adore it. Without my computer I'm always so bored in life...

I'm really gonna miss you guys when it shorts out. I guess if anything I don't actually have much on my computer that isn't eventually replaceable or able to be found again.

Edible

« Reply #674 on: May 10, 2009, 09:01:26 PM »
Well, how much can you spare for a replacement?  You (probably) don't need a new monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc, so getting a POSbox shouldn't cost very much at all.

nintendonut888

« Reply #675 on: May 10, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »
POSbox? Sorry, I'm not much on this kind of stuff.

We're not a wealthy family at all, but I do happen to have 200 dollars in loose change I've collected from vending machines over the years (seriously). I've been waiting for the right time to use it...

Edible

« Reply #676 on: May 10, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »
I can work with that.  Hang on.

(Also, POSBox would be "piece of shit box", but hey)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:22:33 PM by Edible »

nintendonut888

« Reply #677 on: May 10, 2009, 09:08:45 PM »
? Would this be one of those things that would just be a temporary way to make our computer work, or an upgrade? Because we seriously need a new computer anyway, but I'd really like to not go through an extended period without one...

New computer.  Do you have your XP install CD floating around?  Also, do you have any confidence in building your own if I give you a list of parts?

Also, what is the make/model number of your current PC?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:19:12 PM by Edible »

nintendonut888

« Reply #678 on: May 10, 2009, 09:29:56 PM »
Okay...

God damn. Turns out my mom is really protective and I never knew. No we don't have our install CD, and also Edible is one of those guys trying to scam me out of money. We had a long discussion about being careful on the Internet, blah blah blah, she does not believe you're really trying to help me.

So...what is it exactly you plan on helping me with? Just as a start.

Also, no I cannot build a computer, and I don't know how to check the model.

Edible

« Reply #679 on: May 10, 2009, 09:35:29 PM »
Plenty of reliable places on the internet sell older, refurbished PCs.  Amazon Marketplace is one (just find a seller with a high rating).  You can probably find a nice 4/5-year-old Dell for less than $200.  Ebay's another option.

It's kind of a moot point at this stage, but you should be able to find the model number on the case somewhere.

And I don't want your money, but thank your mother for the character reference. 8)

nintendonut888

« Reply #680 on: May 10, 2009, 09:37:58 PM »
Well, she told me during this long discussion that we've known this computer was going to die for a long time, and that if it dies soon then we'll just have to get a computer sooner than expected. It's not really a future I'm looking forward to, but I guess that's just how it is.

I don't want Vista though...>_<

Gpop

« Reply #681 on: May 10, 2009, 09:40:26 PM »
I don't want Vista though...>_<

Deal with it. Pretty much all PC's are now pre-installed with Vista. Unless you want to buy an old PC from the internet or something =/.

Like I said, nothing really wrong with it other than the annoying security pop-ups for ALMOST EVERY DAMN APPLICATION YOU USE.

nintendonut888

« Reply #682 on: May 10, 2009, 09:49:08 PM »
So I guess there's just a few more things to ask...

1. Is it true that Windows 7 will be able to be installed on Vista? All reports indicate that 7 can be installed directly atop a Vista installation, yes.

2. Would doing stuff like turning my computer off at night increase the limited lifespan? It certainly wouldn't hurt.

3. WHY ME OMG? Because you post yourself at night.

*sigh* I guess I can really say now that my computer is coughing stuff up now. >_>
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:55:51 PM by Edible »

nintendonut888

« Reply #683 on: May 10, 2009, 10:12:20 PM »
Well, I guess all that is left to do now is wait out the end...for all I know it could be dead by the end of the day, or last 'till the end of school.

Also, I promised my mom I'd cook dinner for Mother's Day...>_< This day is one thing after the other.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #684 on: May 11, 2009, 01:31:10 AM »
Might as well wait for Black Friday, best deal of the year.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #685 on: May 11, 2009, 01:33:35 AM »
Things like this make me happy my laptop was able to be repaired when it was knocked out of commission by an OS/Synaptics Touch Pad conflict.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

nintendonut888

« Reply #686 on: May 11, 2009, 02:04:50 AM »
So what would you guys suggest for a new computer? What company, what specs, etc.? My only real system requirements is that it be Vista (so we can get Windows 7 when it comes out), and that it play Touhou well (so I can FINALLY get rid of lag forever). Under something like 700 dollars would be nice too.

And also, Ruro FINALLY watched the video I sent her, so I guess I can draw Tenshi. Since I have no idea when my computer will die for good though, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do it or not. ;_;

Oh, and my mom said that it may be cheaper to find a computer online, so if there's a good place for that, please let me know.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:13:45 AM by nintendonut888 »

Gpop

« Reply #687 on: May 11, 2009, 02:13:52 AM »
Well for laptops I've always trusted Toshiba. It almost never fails on me for a long run.

But for PCs, I'll let others decide that.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #688 on: May 11, 2009, 02:55:31 AM »
Spoiler:
Do you want a desktop or a laptop? I'm assuming desktop. I'm no expert on the subject but Dell has never done me wrong. HP isn't bad either. It really depends on how much you're willing to spend on a computer, but a Dell standard build would be a good choice I guess. Then again, I may have no clue what I'm talking about, which is probably the case. Just go to Best Buy or wherever and ask them what they recommend for a reasonably priced PC.
I'd probably not read this if I were you, since I'm attempting to be helpful and failing since I don't really know anything on which computers and stuff to buy. =|

On an unrelated note, Touhou Mother is extremely fun and everyone should play it.

nintendonut888

« Reply #689 on: May 11, 2009, 03:09:03 AM »
Thanks for your help guys (although I still don't know the best computer for the lowest price for me). When my computer does die, I hope that I'll only be out of business for a week at the most.

But I realized...I'll finally have to move on from IE 6. D: D: D: