Author Topic: Touhou soccer games english patch?  (Read 140785 times)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: Touhou soccer games english patch?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 02:00:50 AM »
Yeah, it's probably referring to an interception, so it'd be pass-cut then, huh?

I've made stat & technique pages for all of the characters up to PCB, but I still have no idea what happened to the guy transcribing the scenarios.

Gpop

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 02:04:16 AM »
Well give me the entire sentence or something. I'd rather you'd put "intercept" instead. I never heard someone say "pass-cut" in a soccer game.

N-Forza

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 02:11:38 AM »
I don't think it's used in a sentence, but there's a statistic called 'cut' as well as techniques labeled as Special Cuts. I guess this is one case where they use an English word in Japanese for one thing, but in real English, another word is used. I had to do the same thing, since their word for 'Evasion' was 'Through'.

I'm starting to think I should just replace it with 'Interception' although it's a little long.

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 11:34:13 AM »
Even though I'm a bit of a soccer fan, I'm not very familiar with English terminology. However I'm not entirely sure 'Evasion' is a good translation - 'Through' in Touhou Soccer is a word describing an action where a player feints doing something in the penalty area (pass/shot) and allows the ball to fly past her to confuse the goalkeeper and hopefully let her teammate score.

And 'cut' in TS means intercepting the pass OR shot, so 'Interception' sounds good (though there will probably be some issues with text length in the game).

N-Forza

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 12:39:09 PM »
Well, I'm just going by the assumption that you're able to get "through" defenders/goalies by evading them, but if it there is another word for it then I would like to know.

I'm pretty sure that in the game everything is going to be reduced to 3-4 letter abbreviations so there's no worry. I just want to get everything right beforehand, particularly for the guide.

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 09:59:17 PM »
Well, I'm just going by the assumption that you're able to get "through" defenders/goalies by evading them, but if it there is another word for it then I would like to know.

Are you talking about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnNM95HIW5s
If so, feint is a good word, I think. The direct translation of the term we use here doesn't really match very well*, so "feint" would be ok.

*Wiktionary says it's "dribble", but it sounded like a mistake of whoever made the entry.

N-Forza

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 01:07:20 AM »
Yeah, there's already a dribbling stat.

Hmmm... I thought feint meant more like "faking out", but I guess that would work after all, since you're still getting "through" the opponent.

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 11:48:49 AM »
Just to be clear, this is what does the 'through' move look like in Captain Tsubasa 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_3oTPudZaY (read adnotations in the video for further informations).
It works and looks exactly the same in Touhou Soccer because TS is based on CT2 and CT3 games mostly.

N-Forza

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 01:33:42 PM »
Hmmm... I think I see now. I guess 'feint' or would be the best word for it in that case.

AzureDemon

• Soliciting pirated download links is bad!
  • Until 7/4
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 03:39:04 PM »
There's a translation of captain tsubasa? That would be pretty safe ground for references as the game is pretty much the same but with the touhou girls

Gpop

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »
Ah, I see what you guys are talking about now. For me, we call it the "dummy" move on our team. Basically the runner is the "dummy" as he fakes the player/keeper into thinking that he'll recieve the ball, when in fact the teammate behind will get it.

N-Forza

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2009, 01:43:13 AM »
Hmmm, I guess that means the better you are at that skill, the more likely it will be that the keeper will fall for it.

I don't know if "Dummy" would really work for a stat name though, unless it's really widespread. I'm still inclined to call it a fake/feint.

Gpop

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2009, 01:57:17 AM »
Hmmm, I guess that means the better you are at that skill, the more likely it will be that the keeper will fall for it.

I don't know if "Dummy" would really work for a stat name though, unless it's really widespread. I'm still inclined to call it a fake/feint.

Well that's a common term where I live, but I think feint would sound better for a stat name as well. I wouldn't say fakes though since people would confuse it with "fake" dekes/passes, since that's what a "fake" is normally known as.

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2009, 02:44:53 AM »
Now the only problem here is that I don't know the particular game. The status goes to who? A player who falls for the trick, a player doing the trick, or someone else entirely?

N-Forza

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 03:48:26 AM »
It's not a status, it's a skill statistic, like dribbling, passing, or shooting.

The way it seems to me, is that if a character has a higher "through"/feint statistic, they're more convincing when trying to lure the goalie onto them while the ball goes by them and to another teammate.

Gpop

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »
Don't say "through" though. Through balls are when you send the ball past/between the defensive back-line on the ground to a running teammate towards goal for a breakaway.

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »
Been playing Touhou Soccer recently so I'll throw in what I think.

Cut: Option given to a defender encountering the ball handler. Yea, pretty much a pass-cut with the defender intending to intercept a possible pass. If the ball handler intends to dribble, they'll usually just dribble by you although sometimes the defender will steal the ball anyways (I assume because their Cut stat is high enough).

Through: I almost never use this, but from what I can recall (not at home to doublecheck): Option given to the ballhandler usually when you're in the enemy's penalty zone. It's activated like a pass, but the first teammate that is in the path of the pass will not take the ball and let it through. Your team would only retain possession of the ball if a second teammate is in the line of the "through" after the first teammate. So it's a bit of a feint, but not really usable (when you can just pass to the second teammate directly) unless the pass is made in the direction of the goal and the feinted recepient close enough to the goalkeeper to force the goalkeeper's options to be to "take to the air" or "remain on the ground". I really should play around with this option to see if there is more to it.

I figure it's ok to be literally correct with these translations (use Cut and Through) because the actual actions that can occur have variations to them and they're relatively self explanatory after you try them.

N-Forza

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 12:03:26 AM »
I was thinking that "Cut" would be OK as it is, but "Through" just didn't sit right with me for some reason. I'm probably going to go with "Feint".

Gpop

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2009, 01:05:43 AM »
Through: I almost never use this, but from what I can recall (not at home to doublecheck): Option given to the ballhandler usually when you're in the enemy's penalty zone. It's activated like a pass, but the first teammate that is in the path of the pass will not take the ball and let it through. Your team would only retain possession of the ball if a second teammate is in the line of the "through" after the first teammate. So it's a bit of a feint, but not really usable (when you can just pass to the second teammate directly) unless the pass is made in the direction of the goal and the feinted recepient close enough to the goalkeeper to force the goalkeeper's options to be to "take to the air" or "remain on the ground". I really should play around with this option to see if there is more to it.

Except in English terminology, "through" normally means what I stated before.

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2009, 02:51:14 AM »
Yea, I get that Gpop. We might assume the guys at Hachikuma made a mistake in the terminology, but when most of the commands are in katakana, I figure it's nice to keep the translation of those in that spirit. But it's not my call.

Maybe I could see if I could help do the transcribing at least. At least I have a save ready for that EX match at the end of the Main Scenario, god that one was terrible.

N-Forza

« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2009, 05:14:48 AM »
Yes, please help with the transcription if you can. Even if it's not the main scenario, there's still a bunch of the sub scenarios that need them too.

As for translating words in katakana, it's not always as simple as it seems. Like they'll use a word in English, but the actual word for it in English will be completely different. Like, I see little places all over the place here that call themselves "snack" when they're more like little lounges or bars.

CP3

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2009, 08:17:14 AM »
Yeah, "through" sounds weird, but having played both the Captain Tsubasa and Touhou Soccer games, that's just what they call it. Hachikuma more or less used a direct trancription of the stats they used in CT2.

I'm not sure you want to use "feint" since I believe that's a move you use when you receive a pass and you're 1v1 on the keeper, and it's a little different.

Hmm...I guess "feint" works for that stat. "Fake" is also a decent term, I think, since technically what the player does is fake a shot to unbalance the keeper and leave it for a teammate.

Oh, and by the way, Kiro, "through" is actually a very effective move - the player who receives the ball will have a very good chance to score. I've used Rumia a lot in campaign mode simply because her through stat and through special are great at successfully unbalancing the keeper and reaching a teammate.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:19:59 AM by CP3 »

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2009, 01:25:34 AM »
I'm not sure you want to use "feint" since I believe that's a move you use when you receive a pass and you're 1v1 on the keeper, and it's a little different.

As far as I know, feint is when the player with the ball does a trick to avoid that an opposing player take the ball or to nullify his guarding. So, it doesn't need to be the keeper (I don't remember seeing someone playing a feint on the keeper).

N-Forza

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2009, 02:00:15 AM »
I thought that fake or deke were used more often for that maneuver.

Argh, stupid Japan making up stupid words for their stupid moves in this stupid game

Gpop

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2009, 02:03:10 AM »
I thought that fake or deke were used more often for that maneuver.

Argh, stupid Japan making up stupid words for their stupid moves in this stupid game

Yeah that's what it's usually called.

Really, I only recall that "feint" known as "dummy" here. I don't remember others calling it anything else up here.

CP3

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2009, 03:49:07 AM »
No, what I mean is that, IIRC at least, "feint" is a version of "through" you can use when you're one on one with the keeper. At least it was that way in CT2, I don't remember if it's like that in THS2, but I think it was there. All this being in-game terms from the katakana.

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2009, 04:07:52 AM »
Oh, I see. I was actually thinking of what I see on the TV (because my friends aren't that good :V).

It's that problem: they don't need to know what they are saying when they make it awesome; that's why we accept that crapload of mythology perversions in Mortal Kombat.

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2009, 04:29:37 AM »
There seems to be some confusion, so to clear things up:

スルー (command) - "Through", down button command for when a player receives the ball. The player who the pass is aimed at fakes receiving the ball, and lets the pass run on to whoever is next in the ball's pass trajectory. In England and most of the more "popular" football regions this is usually called a dummy.

フェイント (command) - "Feint", down button command for when a player encounters the opponent GK. The player fakes a shot... and I honestly don't know what happens after because I've never seen it succeed, but I assume he gets an empty net to shoot at after faking the shot. Feint is probably a good enough word for this.

スルー (stat) - Affects the success rate of both スルー and フェイント commands.

I don't think Feint works as a replacement for スルー because there already is a feint command. Dummy or Fake might work though.

N-Forza

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2009, 04:45:19 AM »
Yeah, that clears things up a bit. I didn't realize there was a Feint command in the game, so that wouldn't work.

For the stat, since it can apply to both commands, I think that "fake" works, since in both commands you're faking out someone. "Feint" should work for the second command, and for the Through command, I'll go with "Dummy" since that does indeed seem like the most common name for it in English.

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2009, 06:00:40 AM »
Yeah, that works fine I think.

If someone's going to continue transcribing scripts, we might want to settle who handles which parts though. And what the project really needs right now is a hacker since probably between us two the translation will move along steadily, and having someone who can extract the game's files will make getting the scripts a crapload easier.