Author Topic: Touhou 12.8 The Great Fairy Wars English Patch  (Read 86608 times)

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
Re: Touhou 12.8 The Great Fairy Wars English Patch
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2010, 08:00:29 PM »
loading.png
 - I don't see 大/"Great" in the original, so why in the TL?
 - In the original, there is なう (nau) after "loading". I am inclined to think this actually means "Now". So either "Now" should be present, or the original left in.
- I just thought it looked better and made more sense. If people say otherwise, I'll take it out, though.
 - I couldn't find the font he used for "Loading", so "now" would end up in a different font. I figured that it doesn't lose any meaning just from removing なう, so I took the lazy way that time. (Hey, I just finished re-making some of the images from scratch to get the Japanese text off the background, so cut me some slack.)
face03/ename.png
 - I would put an 's' after 'star'. Also because the image shows such.
Okay, that's simple enough. I was thinking about that too, but wasn't sure if it would make sense or not.
music00.png
 - See wiki for changes/updates

front00.png
 - Typo (Normal)
 - I think "Extra" can still fit with "omake". Extra does mean "something additional". With regards to Simple/Easy and Maddening/Lunatic, if they are close enough in meaning, then Easy and Lunatic could just take over. But I'll leave that up to the translators to figure out.
music00: Okay, I was just going by the translations that were posted here. I didn't know there were updated ones on the wiki.
front00: vgperson said so, and I like his other translations, so I went with it. "Normal" was written in katakana in the original, which implies childishness, so this was close in meaning. "Extra" isn't written the same way there as it is everywhere else, so he suggested using a different word.
help_02.png
- "Miss with less than 99%" implies that getting hit at 99% will not make you lose. Unless this is some special exception, it should be "Miss with 99% or less".
Yeah, bad word choice there. Thanks for pointing it out.
help_09.png
 - Doesn't this need to be translated?
It's from Double Spoiler, and not used in Fairy Wars.
result00.png
 - Aww, Nitori's gone, even though the UFO cast is still in the other page.
 - The fact that ZUN uses hiragana for the stages and katakana for the results is mind-boggling.
 - Spell card is two separate words.
- Yeah, but nobody will notice. Poor Nitori.
 - I agree.
 - Bad habit. I'll fix it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Version 2
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j9o1u1p935tethn
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 08:19:16 PM by Azure Lazuline »

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »
The loading image says "Fairies are fighting/warring..." in contrast to the usual "Maidens are praying..." Thing is, I don't recall anybody ever bothering to translate the loading image before. Either way, making it the title of the game seems odd.

"Nau" is a silly (and possibly Twitter-inspired) addition in Japanese, but since adding "now" has no such effect in English, I think it's fine to keep it as "Loading." Unless you made it something like "Loadin' on up!", but eh.

"Noma~ru" is in hiragana as opposed to the standard katakana for English words, but yeah. It's sorta like when people have Cirno writing her name in hiragana and she gets the "chi" backwards, thus "Saruno."

Easy and Extra (especially Extra) are close enough in meaning, I suppose, but I dunno, "Maddening" seems a bit further off from "Lunatic." (Technically it implies that you've being driven mad rather than that you're already mad...)

I forgot to mention earlier, but a couple of the ending images (OH MAN)
Spoiler:
have romanji words on them.
Someone going to edit those?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
Really don't want to see "Loadin' on up!" please. "Loading" is fine.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »
The loading image says "Fairies are fighting/warring..." in contrast to the usual "Maidens are praying..." Thing is, I don't recall anybody ever bothering to translate the loading image before. Either way, making it the title of the game seems odd.
That's what happens when I do the editing at 1AM. I'll see what I can do, but I'll wait until I know everything else is fine before I make a version 3.

I forgot to mention earlier, but a couple of the ending images (OH MAN)
Spoiler:
have romanji words on them.
Someone going to edit those?
I could do those, too.
Spoiler:
"Shine!" is already in English, but I could remove the middle dot if it's needed. "DON!" is just a sound effect, but how could it be translated? And what is "Ryokai!"? I know very basic Japanese, but I'd rather have someone better than me doing the actual translating.

Drake

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »
Ryokai = Yessir / Roger / Got it

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »
No,
Spoiler:
Cirno is challenging Aya, so that's "Shine!" not as in what the sun does, but as in "You die!"
The other shows up in the text, and I translated it as "Roger that!", but I've yet to get the ending translations checked by anybody here, so maybe it should wait just in case.

Even in context, I'm not really sure what kind of sound effect that is. Keeping it is probably fine.

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2010, 11:26:57 PM »
Just leave the 'nau' hiragana in then. English players will just look at 'Loading' and ignore the 'nau', while those able to read Japanese will appreciate the silly 'nau'.

Nomaru might be a bad attempt at a pun by ZUN. No + maru. Turn 'no' sideways -> 9 circle. But that's really stretching it.

Regarding music00.png. The wiki lists the correct titles of the music. In particular, you have now corrected ZUN's amusing Faily typo. I'm not sure if you want to preserve this typo, even in the English version, but just so you know. I'll leave that at your discretion.

Drake

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2010, 11:30:10 PM »
I still think it was intentional.

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2010, 01:19:59 AM »
I find it hard to believe it's intentional given it's Fairy in some places but Faily in others (and both spellings show up at the same time in the music room). Regardless, if somebody played the patch not knowing anything about the matter, I think their first assumption would be that it's the patch's fault rather than ZUN's fault/intent. But, your call.

You could add "[sic]", I suppose, but man would that be weird. The SA patch had a bracketed translator's note about "cat cart" for Be of Good Cheer!, but in a song title...?

(Speaking of nine-ball puns, I don't think I've seen anyone mention that the manual page numbers are preceded by circles, and thus "O9" could actually be read "marukyuu." Oh, ZUN.)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2010, 01:56:49 AM »
ZUN was the one who started the (9) meme in the PoFV manual, so likely this was meant to be more of a throwback to that rather than capitalize on the status of the meme (though he obviously knows that's how it would go anyway).
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2010, 09:07:13 AM »
Okay, since nobody mentioned any other corrections, here's the hopefully-final version of the image replacements. I tried editing the text on the ending pictures, but I couldn't quite get the style right, so it always stood out - if anyone else wants to take a shot at it, go ahead. I also did a few other minor changes, like the numbers that are presumably used for score items, and outlining the English pause menu text to make it stand out a bit more (I know a friend of mine who was playing the IN translation but didn't even notice there was English text on the menus, so I wanted to fix that for this game).
I was going to replace the pause menu text completely, but I noticed that the English text locations don't match up exactly with the Japanese ones, so I would probably screw it up. If people agree that it would be better with fully-translated menus, just say so and provide a quick translation, and I'll change it.

Also, how is the rest of the progress on this going?

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2010, 05:30:50 PM »
Well, I'm still under the opinion of leaving nau in since it's not a detriment to English players.

With regards to "Faily", I'm casting my support for preserving the typo. The typo is fairly well known now. Those who haven't played the game yet will learn about ZUN's typo, and even if they think it's the patch's fault will be told otherwise. I would want to avoid a similar "missing Dead parrot" problem.

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2010, 08:08:28 PM »
With regards to "Faily", I'm casting my support for preserving the typo. The typo is fairly well known now. Those who haven't played the game yet will learn about ZUN's typo, and even if they think it's the patch's fault will be told otherwise. I would want to avoid a similar "missing Dead parrot" problem.
Readme files exist for that. (In that case, saying it's not a typo, but it's the actual name)

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »
What's wrong with including an option to leave the typo in or not, and leave it up to the discretion of the individual player?

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
  • RIP 7/21/2010-9/10/2010
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »
yeah, one patch with the typo, and another without. much easier than argueing about it

Drake

« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2010, 09:10:55 PM »
It seems kind of silly to have an option just for a single letter change, but whatever.

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2010, 10:48:18 PM »
@lumber_of_the_beast, Lord Phantasm Satori
Yeah, as Drake said, to have an option for a single letter change is silly. I would prefer to have one patch with the correction than two patches with different translations. Having more than one patch/option just complicates things and confuses.

The solution suggested by Maav sounds feasible.

Again, I just want to avoid another "Dead parrot" scenario, and minimize as many "lost in translation"s as possible.

Tengukami

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2010, 11:12:54 PM »
I can live with the README scenario.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:31 PM »
Okay, maybe kinda late on this, but the images have C2-3 as "Fairies' Lovely Night" when Nazerine intended it to be "Fairies' Lively Night." (It's literally "Noisy," but whichever you want.)

"Flower Arrangement" in A2-2 is literally "Flowerpath," and since it isn't referring to floristry but this, I think that would be the better translation. (Or maybe it should just stay "hanamichi"? Seems a bit too obscure for that.)

Also, the images keep saying "Magic Forest," but I'm pretty sure "Forest of Magic" is the way it's typically translated.

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2010, 02:35:40 AM »
I'd go with Hanamichi. I think people know to look this stuff up on Wikipedia if they're stumped, and even failing that, it can go in the above readme.

I can never remember whether it's translated as "Forest of Magic" or "Magic Forest," so you're probably right. That should be changed.

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2010, 02:50:44 AM »
I can never remember whether it's translated as "Forest of Magic" or "Magic Forest," so you're probably right. That should be changed.
It's Forest of Magic.
Btw, I'm trying to repack the dat. No success yet. ;x

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2010, 04:01:45 AM »
For the record, if it's gotta be one or the other, I vote in favor of typo correction.

Drake

Tengukami

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2010, 04:57:50 AM »
I'm guessing Drake would be the guy to go to for packing the .dat file.

Drake

« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2010, 05:12:37 AM »
Not for actually making the application to apply the patch, I'm just saying I can pack images to test if needed. Packing the images into anm files is actually much more time-consuming anyways.

« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2010, 03:56:51 PM »
Not for actually making the application to apply the patch, I'm just saying I can pack images to test if needed. Packing the images into anm files is actually much more time-consuming anyways.
I see.
I can pack the .anm's if it's gonna be any help... A LOT of free time
Spoiler:
err. I mean, UNUSED time
here.

Neo Aemilius

• Born with Divine Grace...
  • To love a person, one doesn't need a heart ...
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2010, 07:31:59 AM »
Who translate in-game text ?

Sleeping Terror

StrikerX22

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2010, 10:42:16 PM »
Happy Cirno Day guys, I'm guessing this won't be released today? =P Well if there's anything I can help with, let me know. I have some university education (crappy bachelor's)  and minor translation experience; if possible I'd like a say in making it look natural, which should be a focus sometimes above being entirely accurate. That being said, I'm pretty picky about accuracy usually.

If there's anything in particular I should refer to in this thread, please let me know. I'll read it all if I have to, but I'd rather not wade through the differing opinions and information immediately unless I really need to now. But if there's still any somewhat unresolved translation choices, I'd especially like a look at that.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2010, 11:45:36 PM »
To be honest, the final hold-up is all on the technical end. All the translation has been done afaik.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2010, 12:11:54 AM »
Okay, just as a clarification, since I want this to be as high-quality as possible.

1. We're going to leave it "Faily Wars" and leave a note in the readme?

2. Nobody voiced an opinion on translating the menu options (continue, give up and retry, etc) since the English is already on them. I personally think it would be nice if those were fully translated, but I'd need some help since the small text doesn't match up perfectly with the Japanese in some cases. If nobody else shows interest in it though, I'll just leave it, since the other English patches didn't bother with those either.

4. Just leave "Loading なう" as it is, right?

3. Aside from that, the only problems with the images are the ones in vgperson's last post, correct?