Author Topic: Touhou 12.8 The Great Fairy Wars English Patch  (Read 86612 times)

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
Re: Touhou 12.8 The Great Fairy Wars English Patch
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 02:12:29 PM »
If nobody else wants to do it, I could do the image editing. I'm good at things like that, even if I've never done it for a translation specifically. I think it would be neat to help out on something like this - I can't do any of the technical work or actual translating, so this is the only thing I could do.

Also: Yay vgperson, your translations are always really good.

Example:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:45:15 PM by Azure Lazuline »

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »
If you're willing, that would be great! That one there looks very good--my one nitpick is that the font for the bottom two lines looks a little too square and the text is a little small, but maybe others think differently, so who knows.

Thank you!

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »
Japanese text uses many less characters than English text, so the translated text has to be small or it won't fit. I also had to pick a font that would be easy to read at that size, and with the flashing effect ZUN uses that switches between those two lines. I could have just made the animation different (less color difference, so the flashing is less harsh), but I want it to keep the overall font/feel/colors that ZUN originally used.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »
That explains why I couldn't freeze those weird meteor bullets.

I'd offer to help with testing but I'm not sure if I'd be able to view everything. This game is pretty tough. I only get so far as the final battle and I keep getting blasted by bullets.  Then again, I'd just have to check out most of what I can.

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »
I can offer haxcheats that'll give you infinite lives, bombs, and power, if skill-levels interfere with the testing ... :3

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »
Hi. I'm working on the Spell Card pages on the Touhou Wiki, and I am in need of some translations. Some I have taken from T. Solamarle in this forum, and others I have used online resources. If you guys can translate/double-check the following that would be great. This way we'll keep the patch and the wiki as consistent as possible. Thank you.

流星 ("Shooting Star" or "Meteor"?)
星粒 (Stardust?)
日熱 (Sun/Moon/Starblaze?)
協力技 ("Cooperation" or "Cooperative Technique"?)
光精 ("Pure Light" or "Light Fairy"?)
瞬光
降光
光壁 (Light Wall?)
ハイパーインクレクション (Hyper Incorrection? Most Japanese sites I've checked on Google gives me this.)
激光

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »
Unless I'm missing something, nobody has posted translations for the bottom part of front00.png (everything below the numbers and "Failed"), except the difficulty names. Could someone translate those in order for me?

Also, is it okay if I leave the menu options the same, since they all have English subtitles anyway? I'm also leaving other things that already have English equivalents, like the text in the very top-left of the game screen that just says "Fairy Wars."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:12:08 PM by Azure Lazuline »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2010, 12:13:59 AM »
Currently reading over the English translations posted in this thread for errors. There's some minor formatting stuff and word choice. I'll post the total findings when all the English is up.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2010, 12:22:55 AM »
Kiefmaster:
Shooting Star would be more literal, but either one's fine.
星屑 is much more common for "stardust," though I can't think of a good alternative that would distinguish it, so I think you might as well go with that.
Blaze sounds fine.
Team Tech is probably the shortest/nicest way of putting it.
Pretty sure that'd be Light Fairy, given Cirno is sometimes called a 氷精. (If anything, it'd be Light Spirit, not Pure Light.)
Twinkling Light.
Falling Light.
Definitely Light Wall.
I don't know what the card looks like, but it's awfully close to "Inflection," which sounds a bit more sensible. So... I'm not really sure.
Intense/Violent Light. (Also kinda depends on what the card is like.)

Azure:
Pretty sure no previous patches have bothered changing the menu options when they already have English under them.

A number of these are just leftover from previous games, but anyway, the bottom part of front00.png:

Spell Bonus!!
(Challenge Next Stage!)
Perfect Freeze Active ("Available"? "Usable"? It's what shows up when you pass a multiple of 100%)
(Hiscore!)
Extend!
(Item Get Border Line!)

Left of the UFOs:
Simple
Normal (or since it's in hiragana, might be worth intentionally misspelling, like "Normul")
Hard
Maddening
Extra (or "Bonus," as I mentioned earlier)

Above the UFOs:
Attack Clear Time
Actual Time (not sure where these are used, though, so...)

Spell Bonus Failed...
GREAT FAIRY WARS Demo Play

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2010, 12:30:59 AM »
vgperson: Thanks! "Attack clear time" and "Real time" are used after you beat a spellcard. I think it's been like that since TH11.

Tengukami: Don't worry about the stuff like that for the image-related translations (unless it's changing misleading/wrong information), since I have all that covered. I just finished the help files, as well as other small things not worth uploading yet. Can someone read through it to make sure it's all correct? I made some changes from the initial translation so it fits better and makes more sense, but I want to make sure I didn't break anything.

Drake

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2010, 12:32:46 AM »
In the cases where a previous game already has the applicable image, just use that.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2010, 12:47:03 AM »
Some minor stuff from help - corrections emboldenated:

"Don't these enemies fire a few too many bullets?"

"However! Cirno won't lose to that."

"When the ice breaks, the bullets disappear."

"but they do have counter-measures."

That's about all I caught.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2010, 01:06:13 AM »
@vgperson

Thank you very much. Time to make some updates.

Edit: Few more checks with some context this time.

障光「ムーンライトウォール」 (Harmful Light? The card itself is Moonlight Wall, and other resources are giving me 'hindering', 'impediment', obstacle' as well, which may be more fitting.)
光星 "Orion Belt/Great Triangle" (Bright Star?)
瞬光 (Twinkling Light) "Fatal Flash". Perhaps there might be a more appropriate synonym? Sunny uses this card.
激光「サンバースト」 (Violent/Intense Light "Sunburst"). Bullets spawn in a circle, then pause for a sec, before speeding up to the player. I guess I'll use Violent.

閉符「ビッグクランチ」 (Terminus? "Big Crunch")
マスタースパークのような懐中電灯 (Master Spark-like Flashlight)
ブレイジングスターのような鬼ごっこ (Blazing Star-like Tag)
妖精尽滅光 (Fairy Destruction Ray)

"Hyper Incorrection" works similarly to "Rutile Flection". Sunny puts up a field that alters the velocity of any bullets passing through it (direction change and speeding up), so Inflection is a possible guess.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:19:37 AM by Kiefmaster »

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2010, 03:42:13 AM »
I'd go with something closer to Harmful (Malicious?), mostly because those other synonyms sorta imply solidity, and I think I would've heard about ZUN making a spellcard with walls. "Meddling" could work too, I guess.
Bright and Light can probably be interchanged in most cases. And in this one, "Light Star" sounds a little redundant, so yeah, that's fine. (Or you could go with "Shining.")
More like ultraviolent light, am I right? (Er, yeah, that's fine.)

Terminus Sign or Terminal Sign sounds okay.
It's either that or "-esque." Or "Master Sparkish." Or "Master Sparky." But, uh, I'd probably go with -esque. (EDIT: Actually, wait, I think "-Style" sounds best.)
Switching it around to Tag With a Blazing Star (or would it be "As" from Marisa's perspective?) sounds better.
That's fine, but maybe make it Annihilation. (I'd say Extermination, but Marisa reserves that exclusively for youkai, I'm sure.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 03:48:37 AM by vgperson »

Drake

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 05:22:40 AM »
-You obviously haven't played B2. It's a wall. Blocking Light might work.
-Literally, it's Closed Sign. It sounds a bit weird, however. Not sure where "Terminus" came from.
-No. Master Spark-esque, or Master Spark-like.
-No. Blazing Star-esque, or Blazing Star-like. They should use the same wording.
-I wouldn't. Fairy Destruction Ray is fine.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 05:25:47 AM »
-Literally, it's Closed Sign. It sounds a bit weird, however. Not sure where "Terminus" came from.
Terminus might have been more accurately as Terminal, like a terminal disease, as it's referring to a form of the universe where it'll blahblahblah. Terminate also would make sense. Closed fits but is a bit weird, yeah, as in literally Closed Universe and Open Universe.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2010, 07:02:47 PM »
I preferred "Cooperation" over "Team Tech" for 協力技, but that's mainly because I've never seen "tech" used as a abbreviation for "technique". But "Cooperation" isn't that accurate either, so maybe just "Team Technique", although would that be too long? :x

For 閉符, "Terminate Sign" seems to make sense over "Terminus", although I wouldn't mind "Closure Sign" either.

For 障光, "Hindering Light" makes sense given the spell card, and is much more accurate than "Harmful Light". "Blocking Light" is accurate, but to me it sounds lame. :P

For 瞬光, maybe "Flickering Light?" If I recall correctly, the spell card imitates flickering more than twinkling, and the latter seems more like it would be for Star anyway.

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »
Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments.

Between Hindering Light or Blocking Light, I'll use Hindering.
Bright Star is good as is.
Using Flickering Light.
Regarding 閉符, the problem I have with Terminus/Terminal is that it has more to do with 'Ending' rather than 'Closing', thus it could be misinterpreted. There's already an Ending Sign in existence. I am under the impression that Big Crunch is the spiritual opposite of Open Universe as well. So, it's either Closed, Closure, or Closing I guess.
Master Spark-like and Blazing Star good as is.
Fairy Destruction Ray good as is.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2010, 12:28:21 AM »
Progress on the image editing: very close to finishing. Give me a few more days and it should be done.

title/result00 and title/stageft.png doesn't seem to be translated by anyone yet, though. I think I understand most of it (the route names and difficulty and such are obvious, and I think I understand about half of the rest), but I want to make sure. Also, should I make a full English logo in the same style for the big title screen logo, or is it fine to just leave it or overlay text? I think I could do the full logo translation if I tried, but I'm not sure how well it would come out. It's the last thing I'll do in either case, since everyone playing would already know the title of the game, so it's not too important.

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2010, 01:23:09 AM »
result00: Route A1 through C2 and EX, Nitori Kawashiro, Easy, Normal, Hard, Lunatic, Extra, Total Play Count, Play Time, Clear Count, and "Confirm Button: Switch between scores/spellcards"...

...Wait, what's Nitori doing there?!

stageft: Difficulty, Route A1 through C2 and EX, Highest Score, Cleared!, (numbers), Easy, Normal, Hard, Lunatic.

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
  • RIP 7/21/2010-9/10/2010
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 02:12:54 AM »
Nitori?! there's no nitori in that game!... :ohdear:

Drake

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2010, 02:36:49 AM »
It's leftovers from SA. It was present in UFO too.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2010, 03:54:02 AM »
Wooo, image editing done! If anyone has any translation/graphic suggestions or finds a bug (like cut-off text when it's inserted), just tell me. I'm glad to help with this project, since fairies are so awesome! Yay fairies!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?b572igy614itp9d

Drake

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2010, 05:42:21 AM »

Kyaksa

• Fred-Erika Bernkastel Mirrors Rika's True Nature: Spoiled child
  • When They Cry: You are probably dead now
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2010, 05:46:10 AM »
why does cirno has such brushy eyebrows now?

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2010, 05:52:10 AM »
why does cirno has such brushy eyebrows now?

In Lotus Land Story, the stage 2 boss, Kurumi, is unique among bosses in that she fires a single (and uncommonly a double) shot before the dialogue. Thinking that this would give her the edge, Cirno placed two icicle danmaku on her face, keeping them in reserve to damage the bosses. In her rush to fight each fairy though, she forgets to ever use this weapon.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
  • RIP 7/21/2010-9/10/2010
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2010, 06:07:59 AM »
In Lotus Land Story, the stage 2 boss, Kurumi, is unique among bosses in that she fires a single (and uncommonly a double) shot before the dialogue. Thinking that this would give her the edge, Cirno placed two icicle danmaku on her face, keeping them in reserve to damage the bosses. In her rush to fight each fairy though, she forgets to ever use this weapon.

you=win.

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2010, 06:32:35 AM »

What about the Japanese text "Rank select"?

Drake

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2010, 06:51:54 AM »
What about the Japanese text "Rank select"?

Happy now, bitch? :P

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2010, 07:46:23 PM »
Looking at the files now:

loading.png
 - I don't see 大/"Great" in the original, so why in the TL?
 - In the original, there is なう (nau) after "loading". I am inclined to think this actually means "Now". So either "Now" should be present, or the original left in.

face03/ename.png
 - I would put an 's' after 'star'. Also because the image shows such.

music00.png
 - See wiki for changes/updates

front00.png
 - Typo (Normal)
 - I think "Extra" can still fit with "omake". Extra does mean "something additional". With regards to Simple/Easy and Maddening/Lunatic, if they are close enough in meaning, then Easy and Lunatic could just take over. But I'll leave that up to the translators to figure out.

help_02.png
- "Miss with less than 99%" implies that getting hit at 99% will not make you lose. Unless this is some special exception, it should be "Miss with 99% or less".

help_09.png
 - Doesn't this need to be translated?

result00.png
 - Aww, Nitori's gone, even though the UFO cast is still in the other page.
 - The fact that ZUN uses hiragana for the stages and katakana for the results is mind-boggling.
 - Spell card is two separate words.

That all I can find right now.