Author Topic: [SC - Melee] General Thread  (Read 49570 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: [SC - Melee] General Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 07:32:17 PM »
I dunno ZvP there's successful builds based on Hydraling.  Hydras do great damage vs Zealots/Archons and aren't as susceptible to storm/archon abuse if you're decent at kiting/splitting.  Only real weakness is good Shuttle/reaver control but that's why you have Scourges to scare them off :b.  Lurkers are always a threat despite Protoss probably being the best equipped to handle it (observer and targettable AoEs like Storm and the Archon splash trick).

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 10:28:12 PM »
I dont know if this happens for anyone else but every time I start SC up the motk server keeps getting removed and I have to re-add it in the bnet getway editor. Anyone else having this problem?

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 11:58:58 PM »
Trance, Panda, rizock, and I all have that issue too.

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 09:38:27 AM »
bnet editor does same to me.

ZvP rarely goes to ultra. Either Z have a hard enough time surviving to ultra or just completely contains P. Late game, find Z is more effective when they  just go crackling and eat my cannons/expos/bases-everywhere where my P army is not. Oh and doom drops. Early game, I've always had trouble vs 5 hatch hydra bust. Sometimes can be hard to spot, and can transition to lurker easily to keep P even more contained. But if I get my third up, it is all fun and games with my death ball of archon/storm/speedlot kekeke.

Oh and need moar 1v1s. Ima terrible at this team melee thing.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »
I dont know if this happens for anyone else but every time I start SC up the motk server keeps getting removed and I have to re-add it in the bnet getway editor. Anyone else having this problem?
There's a trick to make the registry entry read-only but I forget how.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Captain Infinity

• Captain of Echo Platoon, 3rd Battalion.
  • To bring chaos and honor to this world gone soft.
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 03:35:29 AM »
Since StarCraft needs a thread, and it should obviously be created by a Korean. :V

Fake Korean, you suck at StarCraft therefore you are not Korean.

OR MUST I REMIND YOU OF HOW YOUR DAD REPEATEDLY PWNED YOU?

But I'm Korean. :smug:

MORE LIES.

Anyway how many Terrans do we have here? qq I feel like the only one sometimes.

Terran has the ultimate defense, just build bunkers with ghosts and missile turrents then place siege tanks behind them. You can add goliaths and wraiths just in case

When playing Zerg, just attack with lots and lots of zerglings. It's somehow very effective.
And plague enemy buildings with defilers

Bunkers with ghosts... Why would you put ghosts into bunkers exactly? Sure they have longer range than marines or firebats, but they attack slow, do concussive damage and they don't have stimpack. Plus they do concussive damage that doesn't splash and are very gas and tech intensive.

I'm not going to talk strategy since I don't really play SC nearly as much as I used to so what do I know.

Especially after my tank rush failed against Panda, rizock and Stuffman hurr. I blame Dormio for it mostly, and the RNG for making me start next to my enemies instead of my allies (Dormio and Trance) qq.

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »
Anyway how many Terrans do we have here? qq I feel like the only one sometimes.

(Raises hand) I'm a Terran..

And lol, bunkers with ghosts. Concussive damage is baaaaaaad. Sure, it's good for light units but then if you have ghosts, surely, the enemy already has an army of medium and heavy units. Concussive's only good for shields, and even then, they do crap damage.

And you rushed with tanks only? Surely you should have put some vultures and mines in there? Vultures are cheap, and their mine upgrade's cheap too, so why not put in some mines to slow down the enemy's advance. Slowing down the enemy also gives the tanks more time to shoot at shit.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »
how do you all seem to know what type of dmg units do. I just play... but yea, ghosts are lol.

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 05:52:12 PM »
how do you all seem to know what type of dmg units do. I just play... but yea, ghosts are lol.

Visit the TeamLiquid forums and wiki. You'll know everything about Starcraft there.

What race do you play?

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »
Interesting, might want to check it out.
Play P. Want to learn T someday. Tired of all this 3/3 mech emplololol end game. mid game is fine though. zealot bomb goooo!

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »
Try reaver/shuttle micro coupled with Zealot/Dragoon.

Or, Storm.

vs T, I would suggest archons, but the abundance of Vultures midgame will not go towards your favor. As always, Zealots take all the Vulture fire while Goons snipe the tanks. Bring observers since Vulture = Mine.

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Captain Infinity

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 01:29:32 AM »
(Raises hand) I'm a Terran..

And lol, bunkers with ghosts. Concussive damage is baaaaaaad. Sure, it's good for light units but then if you have ghosts, surely, the enemy already has an army of medium and heavy units. Concussive's only good for shields, and even then, they do crap damage.

And you rushed with tanks only? Surely you should have put some vultures and mines in there? Vultures are cheap, and their mine upgrade's cheap too, so why not put in some mines to slow down the enemy's advance. Slowing down the enemy also gives the tanks more time to shoot at shit.

Well I was going to get them but if I didn't do something quick Dormio and Trance would've died. Of course, I failed in the end so they died anyway. Either way too many hydras and Zealots and dragoons qq so all I had was some marines in bunkers and a few tanks.

Also yay another T around.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:16:16 AM by 1Lt. Infinity »

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
Obligatory video of Idra playing as Terran. 
Spoiler:
Yes, it's that video.

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 09:18:02 AM »
I have a good solution, why not go MnM with Tanks for support? That's what I usually do on 3v3 matchups. It's safe (somewhat), it's a good early game build and it easily transitions into mech.

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Captain Infinity

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 04:57:21 PM »
I have a good solution, why not go MnM with Tanks for support? That's what I usually do on 3v3 matchups. It's safe (somewhat), it's a good early game build and it easily transitions into mech.

Was doing that initially but in the end I got overrun while blowing stuff up derp.

I should totally SCV rush people to hell.

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »
Lol 1 SCV for each base.

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

tbax704

• Now more gangsta...
  • With wings...
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »
Well, I'm using ghosts because they cost less minerals to train so it's good in late game.
In early game I used 2 firebats and 2 marines in bunkers.
So in mid game I attack with all the marines and firebats I have in my bunkers and replaces them with ghosts.
And the mine tip is pretty useful, thanks.

I rarely play Terran, only in Campaigns and sometimes for practice. I usually go for Zerg and Protoss 'cause of the lol zerglings and zealots + carriers
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:28:35 AM by tbax704 »

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2011, 10:31:54 AM »
But they also cost 75 gas and take around twice as long to build.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 02:17:58 PM »
Erm, minerals should NEVER be a problem, ever.  Gas will always be your limiting resource, and you should use gas on whatever the most valuable tech unit is at the time.  Tanks, Goliaths, SVs, Medics and Firebats are all far more valuable uses of your gas than Ghosts.  There's pretty much zero competitive reason to have a Ghost unless you're fearing mass BC and you can't get enough Wraiths in time.  Basically you have little to no starports and you scouted the switch too late, it'd be a lot quicker to just get a covert ops and spam out of your barracks and lockdown would buy you time to get real AA in the area (Goliaths/Wraiths/etc).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:19:56 PM by helvetica »

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »
gaiz

i need help

how to counter infestors thnx

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »
As Terran?  Ghosts.  EMP + Snipe will rape them.  As Protoss?  Just feedback them and lol (if you're not playing PvZ with HTs you're a moron).  As Zerg? L2P nub :smug:

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
great

my ghosts all died from fungal growth without each one getting hit by the emp's

fucking great.

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2011, 08:19:06 PM »
You're supposed to cloak + snipe.  You should easily be able to get a few snipes in and they're gone.  EMP is more of a panic move if you see them right about to do it and you can't snipe enough.

Detection is a serious problem for Zerg now that you don't get it for free with just Overlords, and just a few snipes will kill an Overseer very fast.

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2011, 04:32:13 AM »
As T, 2-3 siege tanks will usually fix any infestor problems. They die in like 2 hits. I almost always have a couple tanks/1-2 thors with my bio anyways. Tanks just murder banelings, and my bioball cleans up whatever is left.

As P, you shouldn't have any problems with infestors... lolcollosus/pheonix/Forcefields

As Z, well, you should have infestors of your own. Just try to stay ahead in roach upgrades. If you went mutas, once infestors are out, transition into roach again quick.

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2011, 06:22:09 AM »
You're supposed to cloak + snipe.  You should easily be able to get a few snipes in and they're gone.  EMP is more of a panic move if you see them right about to do it and you can't snipe enough.

Detection is a serious problem for Zerg now that you don't get it for free with just Overlords, and just a few snipes will kill an Overseer very fast.

Problem is, the zerg that I'm playing with seems to have implemented Seers in his build. He has like 4 of them on his base and 2 on his zerg ball thing.

But I'll keep the snipe thing in mind, TSO.

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2011, 08:45:56 AM »
Problem is, the zerg that I'm playing with seems to have implemented Seers in his build. He has like 4 of them on his base and 2 on his zerg ball thing.

wat. 6 overseers? does this z just build that many seers blindly?...

I personally hate ghosts. Useless in bw, and still useless in 2.  I might get 1-2 in tvp if I see like mass pheonix or some odd mass ht rush build, but every other match up I find them entirely useless. Ghosts aren't cost effective for "sniping" infestors or overseers or anything really. only good for emp. You would have to mass ghosts to keep up with their infestor count, which isn't good. Also, a tech switch would devastate you if you aren't careful with ghost production.

Really, try just a couple well positioned tanks. Whenever the z tries to approach with either infestor or banelings/lings, run your bio ball behind the tanks.

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
The 6 seers are to stop Banshee harass early game. I'm quite fond of Banshees, you see.

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2011, 11:42:11 PM »
wat. 6 overseers? does this z just build that many seers blindly?...

I personally hate ghosts. Useless in bw, and still useless in 2.  I might get 1-2 in tvp if I see like mass pheonix or some odd mass ht rush build, but every other match up I find them entirely useless. Ghosts aren't cost effective for "sniping" infestors or overseers or anything really. only good for emp. You would have to mass ghosts to keep up with their infestor count, which isn't good. Also, a tech switch would devastate you if you aren't careful with ghost production.
No you don't need a billion Ghosts, but one per every 25 supply or so is fine.  Snipe is ridiculous in TvZ, I don't think you understand how great Snipe is.  40 damage, no mitigation, nothing.  And even without Snipe they do very good damage against light.

And no Ghosts in TvP?  What?  What are you going to counter HTs with?  Immortals?  EMP is a force multiplier and a game changer in TvP.  Without it P will beat you each and every time with an equal food count of units, period.  EMP is what levels the playing field, and without it you're going to get demolished by immortals (vs mech) or storm (vs bio).

Current TvP metagame is cloaked Ghosts.  Protoss literally has no counter.  Cloak keeps HTs from using Feedback on them and keeps Observers in check (a quick EMP and a snipe or a round of Marines and it's gone).  Ghosts keep Phoenix numbers in check (too many and they become liable to massed Ghost as they're light).  EMP cuts 100 shields instantly, that's 200 damage you don't have to deal (shield has an armor of 1) and COMPLETELY shuts down Immortal Hardened Shield/Sentry Guardian Shield.  Snipe will pick off very important units like HTs and Sentries allowing your meat and potatoes, your MMM or Marine/Tank army to clean up.

Hell even in TvT Ghosts are great.  Nuke baiting forces your opponent to pick his tank lines up and redeploy or face being obliterated, and TvT is ALL about positioning.  Clear out cliffs and other choke points of enemy tanks without firing a single shot and make it just that easier to creep up to your oppoent's front door.

Really, try just a couple well positioned tanks. Whenever the z tries to approach with either infestor or banelings/lings, run your bio ball behind the tanks.
That only works until Goldish level where Zergs get enough braincells not to run blings into a tank line.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:44:38 PM by helvetica »

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2011, 11:50:58 PM »
So, where should I aim while sniping on Zerg Balls? The general direction or prioritizing the Seers/Infestors first?

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2011, 11:58:13 PM »
Infestors mostly.  Seers are a luxury but not a necessity unless you're relying heavily on cloaked Banshee (and even then Fungal Growth can be used to stall them).  When the game moves towards Ultraling snipe Ultras and laugh maniacally as they melt.