Author Topic: 【Painting】Old One and Eirin  (Read 4798 times)

【Painting】Old One and Eirin
« on: February 28, 2019, 02:35:39 AM »
Love touhou,Love Cthulhu.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: 【Painting】Old One and Eirin
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 07:54:13 PM »
That's kind of cute!

Hieda no Mukyu

• Eastern philology in limbo
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 12:20:44 AM »
Love touhou,Love Cthulhu.

I am happy to see there are people who see the possibilities of the connection between the two. While not a true Lovecraft fanatic, I do observe with interest all the mythos references I run into.

As a matter of fact, one of my unfinished (or, in this case, barely started) fanfic stories features a Miskatonic University researcher interested in the background of a certain Alice Murgatroyde.

May I ask you to tell more about your Tōhō ? Cthulhu crossover ideas?

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 03:25:59 AM »
I am happy to see there are people who see the possibilities of the connection between the two. While not a true Lovecraft fanatic, I do observe with interest all the mythos references I run into.

As a matter of fact, one of my unfinished (or, in this case, barely started) fanfic stories features a Miskatonic University researcher interested in the background of a certain Alice Murgatroyde.

May I ask you to tell more about your Tōhō ? Cthulhu crossover ideas?
Happy to see someone love my simple art. Thank you guys  :D.
In fact,though I have read some Cthulhu stories, I'm not a  not a true Lovecraft fanatic as well :3 .
If you ask my crossover ideas in this painting, I can tell you that it's just a sudden whim which connect the age of Eirin to the great history of old one, maybe Lunar Capital helped old one to fly across the universe and invent shoggoth in order to develop the earth as their biological test site? you can guess the story behind this  ;) .
Although the World outlook framework and spiritual core of the two is a bit different, you can always find some same themes between the two ( thanks to touhou's great scope of theme) , like destiny or religious belief, that's a lot you can dig.What's more, All the characters in touhou have some kind of specal ability and this kind of ability may play a big role in a Cthulhu type story,for example,just think about what story could be when Doremy Sweet meet Cthulhu in the dream?
I'm really looking forward to your stories  :) .Sorry for my poor ENG.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:46:51 AM by Rumia »

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 03:42:38 AM »
By the way, I want to draw the effect of rubbing from murals, but emmm.... :wat:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:47:41 AM by Rumia »

Hieda no Mukyu

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 07:11:46 PM »
maybe Lunar Capital helped old one to fly across the universe and invent shoggoth in order to develop the earth as their biological test site? you can guess the story behind this  ;) .

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Although the World outlook framework and spiritual core of the two is a bit different, you can always find some same themes between the two ( thanks to touhou's great scope of theme) , like destiny or religious belief, that's a lot you can dig.

This truly gives me vibes similar to those I get while watching kamS animations. I wonder if the Cthulhu mythos has been a partial inspiration for them.

I'm really looking forward to your stories  :)

You should not get your hopes up. It has been a good while since I was last able to concentrate on any notable creative fanwork project regarding Tōhō; and those tend to be in Finnish. My apologies.

(On the other hand, I am the type to return to my earlier interests after hiatuses of long years ? under favorable circumstances.)

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 02:45:53 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing this.

This truly gives me vibes similar to those I get while watching kamS animations. I wonder if the Cthulhu mythos has been a partial inspiration for them.

You should not get your hopes up. It has been a good while since I was last able to concentrate on any notable creative fanwork project regarding Tōhō; and those tend to be in Finnish. My apologies.

(On the other hand, I am the type to return to my earlier interests after hiatuses of long years ? under favorable circumstances.)
I think kamS's animations are always full of psychological and sociological implications, but since I am not familiar with those fields, I am not sure  :3.
Though it's a pity not to see your story, it must be very meaningful and educational for you to dig in and enjoy your creation.Anyway, bless you  :).

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 11:05:07 AM »
Just dropping by to say that I share your affection for Cthulhu and the painting is very neat. Glad you decided to share it with us.

On one hand, Touhou and Lovecraft are an odd pairing because cute girls don't exactly go hand in hand with monsters from beyond our imagination. On the other hand, anything supernatural can technically be lovecraftian in nature; after all, how can you be sure that the grey haired girl's power is not just a figment of the old gods of terror, a mere fragmented reflection as said gods peer into the broken mirror of reality? There's a lot to be explored here, if you're willing to take a closer look at the darker side of Touhou characters.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Hieda no Mukyu

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 10:19:45 PM »
cute girls don't exactly go hand in hand with monsters from beyond our imagination

It has been a part of my headcanon since an early stage that the cute-girl appearance is just one side of the Tōhō Project yōkais. Zun has created an alternate universe where monsters like to assume such looks much ? perhaps most ? of the time, but that is far from being the whole truth.

if you're willing to take a closer look at the darker side of Touhou characters

I certainly am. And as kamS has proven, it is not impossible to face both sides in one work of art.