Author Topic: GENSOKYO HIGH SPEED DREAM, a 東方Eurobeat album [FREE]  (Read 4238 times)

GENSOKYO HIGH SPEED DREAM, a 東方Eurobeat album [FREE]
« on: May 11, 2018, 02:26:12 PM »
hello people! recently i released my first touhou arrangement album. previous to that i released single track arrangements on soundcloud, but for a whole album this is my first time.
i'd really like to hear some thoughts on it. whether you guys like it or not, whether i should continue with this style or go further with the experiments.
i actually started to fiddle around with touhou eurobeat arrangements a year ago and with a lot of trial and error i slowly came to this sound design.
so please, enjoy it! and if you don't enjoy it, tell me why!

https://zetoban.bandcamp.com/album/gensokyo-high-speed-dream

Z_A

Re: GENSOKYO HIGH SPEED DREAM, a 東方Eurobeat album [FREE]
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 06:29:21 PM »
Hi!

It's a pleasure to meet someone who likes Touhou x Eurobeat just like me. I wish you the best of luck with your music.

About this album. In my opinion, it sounds sort of... unbalanced, maybe? Let me try and elaborate.

1. Flowering night. Nice, but... the original composition is already somewhat close to dance music. Then again, there's already the Night of Nights out there. What I'm trying to say is - for a more unique sound, you definitely need to move much further away from the original and add more of the Eurobeat tricks. Still, it's an okay arrange, I like it.
2. 3rd Eye. Not much of Eurobeat there, actually - it's part Eurobeat, part something else (sorry, I'm not good in all those other dance music genres). However, I have to admit, it's rather difficult to arrange this song to Eurobeat, due to its nature. You tried, though =)
3. Alice of Meiji. Good. It wouldn't hurt to add some more exciting drum parts, though.
4. Ancients. Perfect.
5. Vessel of Stars. Similar to 3rd Eye, it's not entirely Eurobeat. And this time, really, it would be great to have a complete Eurobeat arrange, IMHO. Quite nice, nonetheless.
6. Voyage 1969. Definitely needs more Eurobeat.
7. Romantic Children. This song, from Mystic Square, has a lot of potential, most of which you left undiscovered. Kinda makes me sad. Again, you tried, but you should have tried harder =P

There you have it) some of the songs are fine and true to Eurobeat stylistics, others - not so much, that's what I meant by "unbalanced". To tell the truth, I'm mildly jealous, cus I want to make Eurobeat arrangements myself, but I have neither the skills nor the tools. By the way, you've probably already heard of A-ONE, if not, check them out)

PS:
[FREE]
You're not allowed to sell arrangements of ZUN's songs anyway, unless you are an official doujin circle. Or so I've heard.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:41:08 AM »
You're not allowed to sell arrangements of ZUN's songs anyway, unless you are an official doujin circle. Or so I've heard.
There's no such thing as an "official doujin circle" but it's true ZUN doesn't want you to sell digital versions of Touhou arrangements. If you make physical CDs and sell them online, that's OK though.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 02:01:55 AM »
I don't know if it quite lives up to the HIGH SPEED DREAM but I did quit enjoy this album. It has enough Eurobeat-sounding elements to warrant the Eurobeat label, I think, and I honestly think they're pretty unique tracks.

There's no such thing as an "official doujin circle" but it's true ZUN doesn't want you to sell digital versions of Touhou arrangements. If you make physical CDs and sell them online, that's OK though.
Oh really? I always thought something like Bandcamp was somewhat of a gray area. What if I were to sell a game soundtrack as Steam DLC, then?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:32:06 AM »
I don't want to say for certain, but I would imagine it would be better since there's more obvious context the music is for a fangame and less likely to be interpreted as original.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 01:52:10 AM »
I don't want to say for certain, but I would imagine it would be better since there's more obvious context the music is for a fangame and less likely to be interpreted as original.
Ah, cool. I asked cause that's my plan for my game this summer.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 03:51:13 PM »
Hi!

It's a pleasure to meet someone who likes Touhou x Eurobeat just like me. I wish you the best of luck with your music.

About this album. In my opinion, it sounds sort of... unbalanced, maybe? Let me try and elaborate.

1. Flowering night. Nice, but... the original composition is already somewhat close to dance music. Then again, there's already the Night of Nights out there. What I'm trying to say is - for a more unique sound, you definitely need to move much further away from the original and add more of the Eurobeat tricks. Still, it's an okay arrange, I like it.
2. 3rd Eye. Not much of Eurobeat there, actually - it's part Eurobeat, part something else (sorry, I'm not good in all those other dance music genres). However, I have to admit, it's rather difficult to arrange this song to Eurobeat, due to its nature. You tried, though =)
3. Alice of Meiji. Good. It wouldn't hurt to add some more exciting drum parts, though.
4. Ancients. Perfect.
5. Vessel of Stars. Similar to 3rd Eye, it's not entirely Eurobeat. And this time, really, it would be great to have a complete Eurobeat arrange, IMHO. Quite nice, nonetheless.
6. Voyage 1969. Definitely needs more Eurobeat.
7. Romantic Children. This song, from Mystic Square, has a lot of potential, most of which you left undiscovered. Kinda makes me sad. Again, you tried, but you should have tried harder =P

There you have it) some of the songs are fine and true to Eurobeat stylistics, others - not so much, that's what I meant by "unbalanced". To tell the truth, I'm mildly jealous, cus I want to make Eurobeat arrangements myself, but I have neither the skills nor the tools. By the way, you've probably already heard of A-ONE, if not, check them out)

PS:You're not allowed to sell arrangements of ZUN's songs anyway, unless you are an official doujin circle. Or so I've heard.

sorry for the late reply, the moderation of my post took so much time that i forgot about it. i'll definetely look into all of the critisism. and yeah, A-One is one of my favorite circles. also, i believe you can i didn't see an official statement from ZUN, ofcourse, since i don't speak japanese, as i saw from several sources the whole point of this huge community is that ZUN allowed everyone to do anything with his songs and characters.