Author Topic: OTAKON 2014 - AUGUST 8-10 - ALL CAPS EDITION  (Read 33728 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Re: OTAKON 2014 - AUGUST 8-10 - ALL CAPS EDITION
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2014, 06:00:27 PM »
NEW WORD FILTER
I APPROVE

FUCK though, the talent show tryouts and talent show itself conflict with the photoshoot and panel D: D: D:
It looks like the talent show tryouts are set up like open mic karaoke where you sign up and since everyone has a 3min limit they can tell you when to come back so it might not be so intrusive?
(ps we still need to write your act aaaaaaa)

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »
Wait a minute. Oh bum Shou will be for Friday since Youmu will actually be more comfy for dinner in Balty. Do the happy Myouren daikazoku brether an' sisteren want to arrange something? If nothing works out, it's OK. Youmu's Roukanken has Buddhist stuff all over it so it's cool.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
Gotta be fashionaaabluh bro.  Guess I know which day I'm wearing Kyouko then!

DID YOU FIND THE WIG

????????????
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »
No

She ordered a new one

triangles

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2014, 08:42:27 PM »
I saw the right color but too long on ebay from ??? chinese seller ??? for like $17, the shipping was INSANELY quick it was faster than ordering an Arda wig from Chicago how.  I figure I'm wig competent enough to hack off the 6-8" (famous last words)

What's great is my hair is currently at the right lenght for both of my Otakostumes, it's just not teal or hot pink :V

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2014, 10:54:57 PM »
Because I am paranoid about this...I think I'll mention it here as well. I guess you could call this a 'traffic and congestion alerts' post for events near the convention center for the weekend.

Thursday - Sunday:

-Restaurant Week in Baltimore. A lot of places will be having lunch and dinner specials. Might be nice to take advantage of them, but be aware that there *might* be a slightly increase in volume as a result. Personal Prediction: Negligible - Minor Impact

Thursday:

-Ravens vs 49ers preseason game at M&T Bank Stadium at 7:30pm. Given this is the first preseason game, I expect this game to draw a *very* large crowd. The stadium can hold up to 71k...I don't expect that many people, but it's quite likely that at least 50k will be there. Light Rail, Metro and buses are bound to be extremely congested from 5pm to 8pm and 11pm to Midnight. Traffic should similarly be impacted around the same times. Parking will be probably be sparse around the stadium (which includes the garages near the convention center) from 7pm to 11pm. Be advised to arrive early if you're coming on Thursday. Personal Prediction: Moderate - Major  Impact

Friday:

-Ravens/49ers open practice at M&T Bank Stadium at 1pm. This is the final open practice for the Ravens and given the 28k draw back on the open practice on July 28th, it is highly likely that number will be the baseline. As such, if you're coming by car, expect some slowing around Baltimore and congestion in Baltimore by roughly noon. Light Rail and Metro will also see a slightly increase in volume, but it shouldn't be *too* bad. On its own, this probably would only warrant a Minor to Moderate Impact but there's also a...

-Orioles/Cardinals game at 7:05pm. If you're driving between roughly 4pm and 7pm, traffic will probably be a nightmare. People will probably be trying to leave from the practice and others will be trying to get to the Orioles game. If you plan on parking at this point, you'll be looking quite far away for a spot. Perhaps near Little Italy is worth a go. This Friday night game is probably going to be a sell out for a few reasons. First off, the Orioles are doing fantastic and will likely be in either 1st or 2nd place by the time of this game. Next, this game will honor the 60th anniversary of the team being in Baltimore, meaning a lot of Hall of Famers will be at the game for the celebrations. Finally, it's Friday night. Friday night games *always* draw well. Personal Prediction: Major Impact

Saturday:

-Orioles/Cardinals game at 4:05pm. Honestly, this shouldn't be an issue for most people. I only mention it because you get a cowboy hat if you go to the game. For real. I personally kind of want to buy a ticket just so I get one myself. Personal Prediction: Negligible - Minor Impact

Sunday:

-Orioles/Cardinals game at 1:35pm. This, on the other hand, may cause some stress for those *leaving*. The game will probably conclude around 4pm, so expect traffic leaving Baltimore (both by transit and car) to be especially congested from both outbound ballpark and Otakon traffic from then to roughly an hour after the game. It shouldn't be *too* bad, but bad timing could add 30 minutes to an hour to your commute. Awareness is the key. Personal Prediction: Minor - Moderate Impact

So there you have it. Thrusday Evening/Night and Friday from noon to evening can be expected to be the worst inbound times and Sunday Afternoon also has potential to be a bad outbound time. Expect the best, but always plan for the worst.

Reddyne

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2014, 12:00:33 PM »
Current weather forecast for Balty through the start of the con will be rainy for 7 out of 8 days with temps consistently in the 80's. Pack your galoshes, parka, and silly Russian hat. Living in the sunlight, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2014, 06:26:42 PM »
Does anyone know if Autographs will be ticketed this year? I'm thinking of going down on the first train Saturday for Saori Hayami's panel and trying for a sign, but if it's ticketed then I probably shouldn't even bother.
And then maybe doing the dinner before taking the train back.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2014, 06:43:42 PM »
Does anyone know if Autographs will be ticketed this year? I'm thinking of going down on the first train Saturday for Saori Hayami's panel and trying for a sign, but if it's ticketed then I probably shouldn't even bother.
And then maybe doing the dinner before taking the train back.

This and this are what I could find on Otakon's website regarding autographs.

If I'm reading it right, they issue tickets once the official line limit is reached.
And some guests offer autograph passes during their Q&A panels. Hayami has a Q&A panel on Saturday at 12:45.

Reddyne

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2014, 12:41:38 AM »
Weather still looks like it'll mild if not rainy. I'll take it over 100 degree temps any day. On the flipside, AMV Hell 7 is debuting at Otakon on Friday night just in case you're feeling nostalgic for your college's anime club end-of-the-year meeting.

triangles

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
AAAAAAAA

HYPE HYPE HYPE

I'll be rolling in around 4ish assuming no death traffic.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2014, 11:10:10 PM »
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Edible

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2014, 02:53:49 AM »
Well, this hasn't started particularly well :V

yuyukos

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2014, 03:45:33 AM »
So I hear those lines are pretty outrageous. :ohdear:
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2014, 03:54:37 AM »
Greetings from chaore/rev/arashiamra/lilywhite/nazrin room. Line con survived, the fight rages on.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Reddyne

« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »
Floatakon has been great so far. Swimming, free dinner for my services, and I get to cheat the line this morning. I've no idea how you poor sods survived that sick mess. :[

Edible

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
Trying to get your badge continues to be a shitshow, but I got mine after waiting in line since 5:30am or so.

This is also the first year where I get strong sprint LTE coverage

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2014, 05:05:25 PM »
They seriously capped the attendance this year?  Has it hit yet?

Edible

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2014, 05:09:48 PM »
Yes, as far as I'm aware.  It was almost at cap from preregistration alone.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2014, 05:31:51 PM »
Then their badge-getting infrastructure is hilariously awful and they* should be ashamed

*Every con ever let's be honest

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »
why don't do they mail badges out like ACen seriously

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2014, 08:27:26 PM »
I get to cheat the line this morning. I've no idea how you poor sods survived that sick mess. :[

Ah yes you and me are alike. As scummy as it may be (and I feel scummy for it) it's hilariously easy to cut in line for anime cons.

yuyukos

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2014, 03:40:24 AM »
Were the lines better on Friday? Heading down Saturday morning, bracing myself for an eternity of lines.
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2014, 04:41:30 AM »
This is also the first year where I get strong sprint LTE coverage

Same. No 3 hour lines for LTE.

why don't do they mail badges out like ACen seriously

I've always wondered why cons don't do this anymore. Aside from the "I never got my badge in the mail!" reason, it'd surely speed up the process of registering like thousands of people arriving at the same time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:46:55 AM by sirslarty »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2014, 06:02:03 AM »
Floatakon has been great so far. Swimming, free dinner for my services, and I get to cheat the line this morning. I've no idea how you poor sods survived that sick mess. :[
Same, was freaking out when I woke up at 5:30am and heard the line already wrapped around the BCC. Our first reaction to hearing this news was to grab the nearest drink, pour liquor in it, and throw our shoes on and run out in our PJs. We got super lucky and managed to cut to the front of the line and got our badge at ~8:30am.

Ah yes you and me are alike. As scummy as it may be (and I feel scummy for it) it's hilariously easy to cut in line for anime cons.
We weren't even trying to cut, there was just a big gap in the line around one of the doors and me and two of my roommies were standing around waiting for the rest of our entourage to catch up (we all ran out the door screaming FEND FOR YOURSELVES), and the line just accepted us as its own. Someone around us got Dunkin Donuts and offered us some of them. Weeaboos may have their problems but we stand in solidarity with each other and we support our own and spirits were high (at the time, but as the line dragged on I imagine morale took some lumps).

I understand the frustration, and I share it. This was awful. But it's the first Otakon I've ever been to that I've experienced such an unmitigated disaster (and I've been going faithfully with only one off year since 2005). I'm still having a blast and the group I'm with are all first-timers and they're already like OK SO THIS IS WHAT WE'RE DOING NEXT YEAR. This year's Otakon though has been pretty weak in some of the more traditionally strong areas, like the music guest is kinda lame and the video game hall is so barren and empty. They stuck the rave in an actual hall this year though which was a great move. Having the rave upstairs was awful and it caused so many congestion issues. I wonder if a lot of the strain and somewhat weaker presentation is from the overtaxation from having gone all out last year with both the 20th anniversary con, the Jam Project concert, and the completely unnecessary Otakon Vegas.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Reddyne

« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2014, 12:03:42 PM »
The weather this year has been great. Can't ask for much better from Baltimore. The lines have been nuts but I haven't needed to be in many. Not so much for too many others though.

I PEEK UP MOUSE AND PUT HER DOWN and then my friend makes fun of me for not gitting gud at being swole anyway. I can't win. :<

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
The registration line issues are due to Otakon not having the same volume of access to BCC technical resources as in previous years. Blame this one on the BCC.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2014, 01:57:11 PM »
I figured it was that when the line was brought to a halt.

In other news, I think the fountains may have been seeded again, but are off right now.

yuyukos

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »
Ahhhhhh worth every minute spent waiting.
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Edible

« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2014, 09:30:12 PM »
Great panel this year :V