Author Topic: The Company of the Nine  (Read 83546 times)

capt. h

• Only sane townie
Re: The Company of the Nine
« Reply #300 on: March 27, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »
> Keine, eh? How many nights until the full moon?

> Also, will the king have any public appearances in the near future, or is he hosting any parties in the near future we could steal an invitation to?

I'm figuring if an ogre could wander around the castle unnoticed with our cloak, one of us should have no trouble searching once inside. Plus we really must get Daiyousei some use out of her new dress. I think sneaking into a heavily fortified castle, assassinating a king, and rescuing our friends sounds fun.

I'm also thinking we should talk to Medicine about poison a bit. I'm thinking some of her knowledge and supply of poisons would be invaluable to us in our travels, wherever we decide to go.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:22:46 PM by capt. h »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #301 on: March 27, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »
I kinda have the same thoughts. we take out the king there, and claim it for ourselves, and boom. that's one goal completed.
And another well on the way to being completed.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #302 on: March 27, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »
It's been very blatantly hinted that the King isn't the actual ruler here and that someone else is pulling the strings from behind the scenes. Killing the king in the night would just put another puppet on the throne.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #303 on: March 27, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
Who said anything about offing just the king? If we find the puppetmaster(I highly suspect a chancellor or somesuch), we kill him or her as well!
Problem solved. Besides, the whole thing made it a point to take the crowns.
If we take it literally, as is often the case, we can then reason that without the crown, they can't have another king!
(Stupid Fairy Logic, I know, but hey! Beats using stuffy human logic.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #304 on: March 27, 2012, 07:57:17 PM »
I think you'll find the Cirno in this isn't a Stupid Fairy. :V
What we should be doing is finding the old human council and finding out what happened to them. Rescuing the prisoners would help as well. They would have a far better chance of organizing a human resistance then we would.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »
It's been very blatantly hinted that the King isn't the actual ruler here and that someone else is pulling the strings from behind the scenes. Killing the king in the night would just put another puppet on the throne.

I actually kind of want to kill the king because it sounds like fun, more than because it's useful.

But rescuing hostages is good too!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:12:49 PM by capt. h »

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #306 on: March 27, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »
> Keine, eh? How many nights until the full moon?
A week from tonight

> Also, will the king have any public appearances in the near future, or is he hosting any parties in the near future we could steal an invitation to?
None that you know of.  While the king does have parties and what not, they don't let the rabble in.  If a great deed had been accomplished or a great danger had arisen he would be forced to hold audience of course, but neither of those events have happened.  He doesn't care at all about the druids getting wasted.

The prince is known to ride about occasionally, but he often rides in disguise and never announces his path.

I'm also thinking we should talk to Medicine about poison a bit. I'm thinking some of her knowledge and supply of poisons would be invaluable to us in our travels, wherever we decide to go.
Medicine knows how to poison people.  Sadly she has no clue how to not poison the poisoner.  She's immune after all.

Rescuing the prisoners would help as well.  They would have a far better chance of organizing a human resistance then we would.
It would also give you access to Keine and Akyuu.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #307 on: March 27, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »
Hmm...  In my opinion, I say we should wait until the night of the full moon to mount anything against the King, but that's just me.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »
Agreed. Then how about the underground next?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2012, 08:16:08 PM »
We'd kinda need the stuff from the mountain for that, remember?
But yeah, I'm all for doing this on the next full moon as well.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2012, 08:28:02 PM »
We actually bought that stuff from Tokiko. I think we're good to go.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #311 on: March 27, 2012, 09:21:50 PM »
What we should be doing is finding the old human council and finding out what happened to them. Rescuing the prisoners would help as well. They would have a far better chance of organizing a human resistance then we would.

This is the correct way of thinking. We're not really going to effectively murder our way into a regime change, particularly as outsiders. It's just going to reinforce the idea there's youkai out there who want to mess with them and they need to double down. As well, if we're going by medieval ideas, there's lots of bad mojo around killing a king, even a fake one. Finally, if we're trying to restore a place that was built on reasonably peaceful ideals, doing it on a foundation of bloodshed probably isn't going to work very well in the faith sense.

Dealing with town is going to involve a lot of information gathering, and working up a good base of support from the shadows. With luck, the King's not actually all that liked, and we can exploit it easily. We probably aren't going to fully pull it off in a night.

>Aside from Keine and Akyu, do any of us remember any sympathetic humans from there, or have friends among them that we know haven't died?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #312 on: March 27, 2012, 09:37:17 PM »
>Aside from Keine and Akyu, do any of us remember any sympathetic humans from there, or have friends among them that we know haven't died?
Your and your allies were never really close to the humans.  Mystia knows some old customers off hand, but she can't trust their loyalty.  You know about the Kirisame second hand shop since Mr. Kirisame was guardedly neutral towards youkai.  However he's not the type to be a mover and shaker.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #313 on: March 29, 2012, 05:38:05 AM »
Mr Kirisame is our in for when we go to Human town. He doesn't have to be influential, he just needs to be willing to harbor us for a bit and tell us some news.

If we're not investigating the Sanzu (which seems fruitless if Yuka found nothing, but may be worth a shot), I would recommend that be our next goal. Opening up human town can only be beneficial.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #314 on: March 29, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
Mr Kirisame is our in for when we go to Human town. He doesn't have to be influential, he just needs to be willing to harbor us for a bit and tell us some news.

If we're not investigating the Sanzu (which seems fruitless if Yuka found nothing, but may be worth a shot), I would recommend that be our next goal. Opening up human town can only be beneficial.
I'm for it.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #315 on: March 29, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »
"Hm...  If my memory does not deceive me the Kirisame second hand shop still exists.  Perhaps the proprietor knows more about the village's situation,"  you muse aloud.

"A fine thought," Mystia says.  "The shop you speak of stands still, and the guards treat him fairly, or as fairly as any man in this land."

"Then we should go visit."  You bow to Yuuka.  "Thank you for your hospitality Master of Flowers.  But we should be off on our quest again.

"Farewell.  I would think a king would be the most difficult of your foes, but perhaps you are strong enough to fight him," Yuka says.  "Either way you can retreat here if things go poorly.  I have no fear of invasion."

Your party gives farewells to Yuka and Medicine, and you head out towards the village.  The journey is free of trouble, though you seem to get more odd looks from the guards.  None stop you though, so you continue on your way.  Soon you pass through the farmland and hit the village itself.

The new village is a maze of poorly designed streets and alleys.  In addition all the two and three story buildings makes navigation a pain.  Still three years have given you decent skills at navigating the place, and you quickly work your way to your destination.  A small shop, in a moderately well to do area.  You tie your horses outside and enter.

The shop is dark, but far better laid out then Rinnousuke's tent.  Each group of objects is clustered together, and the shelves, while full are not yet overflowing.  Still it is a pawn shop, and stranger yet you can sense no magic from any item.  A bell rings to signal your arrival, and the master of the shop appears quickly.  The man's red hair and slight stature show he is related to the black white witch, but his stern expression shows little of Marisa's devil may care attitude.  He grows more neutral when he sees you are customers, but you cannot state he is welcoming.

The wan bows to you, then lights a wooden pipe and begins smoking.  "Greetings travelers.  I'm not sure what among my wares might interest you, but please look around or ask.  As a warning I do not stock overtly magical goods.  Everything here contains only the magic of hard work and nature itself."

"Thank you sir merchant."

As you begin to think of what to ask him about he speaks up again.  "As a warning friends, there was a bit of commotion involving youkai earlier in the morning.  A landless night said a fairy dressed like a knight had ambushed and humiliated him via magic.  Some guards gave a different story, but Brother Marcus of the monastery 'convinced' them that they had been led astray by fae charms.  The village pays it little heed, but should the perpetrators run into the man, I expect there would be conflict."

As he finishes his story he slides a piece of paper over to you.  On it are the words "Beneath the Eternal Winter. 'Spring will come.'"  You quickly pocket it.

"Thank you for the story friend.  Would you mind answering a few questions for some travelers as well?"

"Of course not," he replies.  "What do you wish to know?"

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #316 on: March 30, 2012, 07:21:52 PM »
Does the message mean anything to us?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »
Does the message mean anything to us?
Not off the top of your head.  You think the print indicates that 'Eternal Winter' is a place, but beyond that....

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #318 on: March 30, 2012, 10:35:08 PM »
>Inquire about recent events, and town life in general.
>What do we know about these topics already?

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #319 on: March 30, 2012, 10:43:54 PM »
> Let him know about Marisa.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #320 on: March 30, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »
>Inquire about recent events, and town life in general.
"Has anything else happened that we should be aware of?"

He thinks for a moment.  "The only thing that is new is that the king has started hiring mercenaries from the mountains.  Perhaps the prince is planning another expedition to rescue the princess of the Bamboo Forest."  Mr. Kirisame shrugs.  "Anyway they've taken up at one of the bars at the edge of town.  The 'Eternal Winter.'  That is all I know."

>What do we know about these topics already?
The biggest event you know of in recent time is the chatter about Yuuka's awakening.  But since no one really cared about the Druids it's more a spooky story then a real fear of invasion.

> Let him know about Marisa.

Wriggle speaks up.  "Aye, reckon you'd be wanting to know that Marisa-"

Mr Kirisame's looks up and his eyes are like daggers of ice.  It's obvious that his daughter is not a good subject to bring up.

"-is doing well." Daiyousei finishes hurriedly.

"Hmph," he replies, while looking away.  Some of the tension in his body seems to be gone though.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #321 on: March 31, 2012, 05:32:37 AM »
>What do we know about the Prince. Is he a satirist?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #322 on: March 31, 2012, 05:53:30 PM »
>What do we know about the Prince. Is he a satirist?
All the information you have about him indicates his sense of humor killed itself at a young age.  He would be considered a fop, were it not for the fact that he's passably good with a sword.  He seems perfectly happy leaving that annoying 'rulership' nonsense to his father though as he hunts around the countryside and attempts to draw the attention of the ladies.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #323 on: April 01, 2012, 12:04:46 AM »
What do we know about this Eternal Winter joint?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #324 on: April 01, 2012, 12:16:20 AM »
What do we know about this Eternal Winter joint?
Nothing.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #325 on: April 01, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
>Inquire about that bar full of mercs.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #326 on: April 01, 2012, 12:35:33 AM »
>Inquire about that bar full of mercs.
"Where might this 'Eternal Winter' be?" you ask.

"It's on the edge of town, past the old school."  Mr Kirisame shrugs.  "I do not partake of such establishments myself, but I here they have a youkai there that keeps the place as cool as a winter day."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #327 on: April 01, 2012, 01:37:25 AM »
>Have a look at the charms. Is there anything appealing and not too pricey?