Author Topic: The Company of the Nine  (Read 84291 times)

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
Re: The Company of the Nine
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Make that three votes.  I'd like to see what we can find.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 11:55:05 PM »
"I could not call myself a knight if I just fled from confrontation!  Let us explore this forest and see what we may find!  Still we should dismount.  The brambles are too thick for us to ride."

"Aye, of course.  And what might we be confronting?" Wriggle mutters.  But Rumia and Daiyousei follow your lead and dismount.

As you step forward Rumia moves ahead of you.  "Step only where I do, and stop if I tell you to.  I know none of you have experience with traps."

You all nod in agreement.  "True words, Rumia.  Traps are for animals.  Only cowards use them in war.  Still it seems cowards we must fight," Mystia says.

With your horses reins in one hand and your sword in the other you enter the brambles.  The way is painful and dark, and the path dies and branches seemingly at random.  It is probably the least amount of fun you've had in some time, even if the weather is fine.  The horses seem to enjoy the trip even less, and you're frequently forced to stop in order to pull away a grasping plant tendril.

Finally after at least an hour of searching you stumble into a clearing.  Rumia sniffs the air, then shakes her head.  "We've left enough blood I can find our way back, but I have no clue if this is closer or further from Eientei."

"At least we can-" Daiyousei's words are cut off by a savage howl.  Your group instinctively forms a circle to protect your steeds, as three wolves burst into the clearing.

"Daiyousei, can you calm them?" You asks as they shake off the thorns sticking to them.

"These wolves are not normal Cirno!"  Wriggle cries.

Rumia snarls and draws her knife in her off hand.  "They're undead.  Prepare yourselves."

"To battle!" cries Mystia and the wolf monsters charge in.

Action Set
> Fight
> Magic
> Defend

Cirno>
Daiyousei>
Rumia>
Wriggle>
Mystia>

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 12:18:38 AM »
>Give past experiences, how confident do we feel about this?

All Magic. Let's nuke this like FF6

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 12:51:09 AM »
> Would we be able to freeze one or two of the wolves' paws to the ground?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:13:16 AM by Kasu »

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 01:33:09 AM »
>Give past experiences, how confident do we feel about this?
You are certain of victory, the question is how much blood you'll lose in the process.

> Would we be able to freeze one or two of the wolves' paws to the ground?
The wolves paws are not unattended and thus doing so would be stupidly foolish.  Normally this isn't an issue for you, but apparently fairies die when they're killed now.

I draw attention to this list of handy actions you have available:
http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,12247.msg802577.html#msg802577

Note also that everyone not named Daiyousei is competent at generic weapon violence as well.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 01:42:59 AM »
Cirno> Ice Arrow
Daiyousei> Danmaku
Rumia>  Crossbow
Wriggle> Poison Swarm
Mystia> Unrelenting Force

These are what I'm leaning towards.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 02:02:55 AM »
How many words of Unrelenting force?

And with that closely matching Purvis' suggestion I will put it into action if there is a third and no dissent.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 02:13:18 AM »
> Lets go for mid-powered with two words.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 04:10:50 AM »
"Shoot them down before they close!" You cry as you unleash an arrow of purest ice at the wolf charging you.  It strikes true, but the undead horror doesn't slow it's advance.  You curse your ill fortune and try to draw your shield, but it's too late.  The monster slams into you tearing at the thick guards on your arms.   You push the foe back and ready your sword, then it's head caves in with a crack as one of Daiyousei's bullets strikes where your arrow weakened it.

Turning to survey the battle you see Wriggle unleash one of her insect swarms, but the undead monster can't feel the pain of the flies eating it's rotting flesh.  The creature knocks your staunch ally down.  Seeing your friend beset, Rumia cooly ignores the wolf charging her to shoot a bolt into the one attacking Wriggle.  It falls, the insects tearing the motionless body to shreds.

Rumia's bravery is rewarded as Mystia cries out "Fus Ro!"  The rippling sound wave knocks the undead to the ground.  It tries to recover but you step forward and dispatch it with a single blow of your sword before it can rise again.

Daiyousei and Wriggle move to secure your frightened steeds while the rest check for further foes.  When you feel the place is safe you rub at the bruises on your arm, and you see Wriggle doing the same for her shoulder.

Cirno and Wriggle have each taken 1 HP damage.

"The first of many such encounters I imagine," Rumia says dryly.  "Though we'll be better prepared next fight.  I imagine the sorceress will think up something new when we finally get good at it."

"Good.  A knight enjoys new challenges."  You sigh and look around the tangled maze.  "Still we seem no closer to any of our goals.  Perhaps we should press on?"

"Or head back.  I don't think that witch gals going to be leaving princes just lying around in her thicket.  Tis a fair bet she won't raise her head until we're a real threat."

"We could find more of the path so we aren't lost next time Sir Cirno," Daiyousei says calmly.  "But leaving before we get too far in might be good too."

"So long as we stand bravely either suits my heart," Mystia finishes.

You consider your options.  You have 5 hours left until nightfall.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 04:13:56 AM »
"Fus Ro!"

Really? That had to happen? :|

If you hadn't figured that out by the third fifth post you weren't paying attention.

I haven't played the game and don't know the setting.  So you shouldn't pretend you do and claim I did anything because of memes.  I was given actions and I delivered them.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:32:59 AM by Iced Fairy »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »
Really? That had to happen? :|
If you hadn't figured that out by the third fifth post you weren't paying attention.
I haven't played the game and don't know the setting.  So you shouldn't pretend you do and claim I did anything because of memes.  I was given actions and I delivered them.

The usage of Skyrim is a bit perplexing in what is otherwise a classic mythology/folklore-inspired game, but it ain't that big a thing. Shine on!

It's really just a vocal variant on nordic runecraft.  Given Mystia can't read, it's the better choice for her.

Also it's not my fault you guys all went to the 99% lily pure classic fantasy section first!

You consider your options.  You have 5 hours left until nightfall.

> Plow through onwards.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:56:49 PM by Iced Fairy »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »
>Agreed

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 04:49:52 PM »
> Plow through onwards.

"We should not head back empty handed.  It would seem as if we were fleeing should we do so."  Msytia nods happily while the others seem willing but less enthusiastic.  "Rumia, would you be willing to blaze the trail again?"

"Yes.  I'd hate to see you lose a foot after all."  Rumia takes the reins of her black steed and carefully inspects each pathway before heading into the brush again.  You follow, silently cursing the thorny brush as you do.

This journey takes longer then your initial foray into the thicket.  As you progress the thorns seem to grow sharper and you swear the vines  are trying to reach out and grab you.  In your frustration you've frozen a few of them, though when Wriggle questioned your actions you said it was for the Lady Daiyousei.  Still despite your efforts all of you have left blood on the plants this day.

The forest was starting to seriously darken when you find another clearing, this one far more promising then the last.  The forest in front of you is different.  The brambles are further apart, but the bamboo seems to have woven itself into a ceiling over the sky.  The area is dark and foul seeming to your eyes.  Surely Eientei must be further in that direction.

Rumia sniffs the air.  "I smell blood mixed with fresh air.  I think that perhaps there is a shortcut to this place if we clear out some brush."

"It says it smells of blood, but I say it merely smells," chuckles a voice.

Once again your party draws your weapons as you search for the speaker.  Your ardor for combat fades when you see the face grinning at you from the bushes.  The small ugly green figure is all too recognizable.  "Goblins," you sneer.  The least of your kind, for even pixies have glamor.

"Ack, and here I was worrying about." Wriggle sighs as she dusts off her robe.

"Mock not me and mine says I," the goblin croaks as it hops from the brambles.  As it does ten more of the filthy creatures slink out of the brambles and shadows, surrounding you.  "A knight and lady and knave I see, but not a prince among thee.  And fools like this seems easy prey, for Grimkald's kin whom now you see."

"If battle you seek greenskin I shall-"

You hold up a hand and Daiyousei shushes Mystia.  Fighting goblin hordes is rarely worth the time or effort.  "Your words are as foul as any goblin, but I have no time for your games.  Speak clearly your intentions so that we may either conduct business or so that I can slaughter your kin to the last."

The goblin doesn't flinch at your words.  There must be more still hidden, else their cowardice would be showing.  He instead points at your horses.  "Good meat there you bring to our woods.  Give us one and we shall let the rest of you depart.  Aye a toll it is."

"A toll, a toll." The other goblins chuckle as Grimkald puffs his chest at his 'quick thinking.'

Rumia's laugh silences their mirth.  "Meat talking of meat.  Humorous.  Perhaps your bones will tickle on the way down."

Grimkald looks a little shocked that your party is unafraid. Now you think you can turn the conversation to your advantage.  But what route would be best?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »
>If goblins are our kin, however inbred, let's make goodnice with them. Little guys can be useful allies. Ask them about the forest lately, and try to segue into negotiating to try to let us past without paying a toll. Try to be on good behavior (or what passes for good behavior for us).

Fightest

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »
>If goblins are our kin, however inbred, let's make goodnice with them.

> If we're as accepted as a knight amongst the fae as we think we are, remind them that assistance they would offer a knight would not go unrewarded.

And Iced, please, if you want to comment as the GM, don't do it by editing other people's posts. It makes it hard to spot for those of us who click on the "last reply" button. I'm sure nobody will mind such comments in your main posts.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:32:09 PM by Fightest »

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2012, 05:38:35 PM »
> If we're as accepted as a knight amongst the fae as we think we are, remind them that assistance they would offer a knight would not go unrewarded.
You consider using your knight credentials, but then remember that to goblins this would only be a threat.  Their main contribution to fae society is being a constant pain in the ass, such that the less constant pain in the ass of the regular nobles becomes better in comparison.  If you do wish to use this tactic, you'd have to be specific as to what aid you can offer, though as you plan to convert the land back to what it was, you can make bolder propositions then normal.  If you can hold your nose long enough to consider such an option that is.

And Iced, please, if you want to comment as the GM, don't do it by editing other people's posts. It makes it hard to spot for those of us who click on the "last reply" button. I'm sure nobody will mind such comments in your main posts.
I was mainly doing that for the tiny nitpicky stuff or for GM moderation that I didn't want to eat up the thread.  I'll have the nitpicky stuff in green in later posts from now on.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »
If they are a constant pain in the ass, then surely they are our brethren and we should embrace them!

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »
>If goblins are our kin, however inbred, let's make goodnice with them. Little guys can be useful allies. Ask them about the forest lately, and try to segue into negotiating to try to let us past without paying a toll. Try to be on good behavior (or what passes for good behavior for us).
>remind them that assistance they would offer a knight would not go unrewarded.

"You claim these woods as your own goblin?  Bold words you speak.  How do you avoid the witch who claims this place as hers?  And what protects you from her foul minions?"

The goblins snicker at that.  "The witch says these are our words.  She give them to us so long as we eat any princess what come.  Witch is fair mistress, not like court people.  Witch never gives half promises or plays word tricks.  She let us go anywhere, from brambles to sleeping mansion."

You force down your distaste and consider your options.  If they know the way to Eientei they could be good help.  Sadly they seem somewhat loyal to the witch.  "Perhaps we might come to an arrangement.  I am a knight, if one of no great title, so you know my word is good, and me and my fellows can travel the outside world.  What needs have you that someone of our prowess might aid you in?"

You grip your sword as the goblin spits.  "Grimkald knows of titles.  Grimkald has title too!  Serve Oberon himself, and get named 'latrine master.'  'Didn't say what kind of title,' the bastard says.  No we wants things now.  Things we can hold and smell and eat."

It seems these goblins hold the Western fae in as high esteem  as you do.  But convincing them will be hard.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »
>Inform him of the true nature of his title and use that to attempt to sway favor.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2012, 07:52:27 PM »
>Inform him of the true nature of his title and use that to attempt to sway favor.
You have a guess he is well aware of the meaning of his title.  It seems he was promised "a title" by Oberon and given that insulting joke of a position on completion of service.  You guess he is vexed by this.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2012, 07:55:24 PM »
> Knights aren't able to give their own titles out are they?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
> Knights aren't able to give their own titles out are they?
In theory a knight might be able to appoint another knight, but it would need to stand up to trial by combat.  You are certain the creature before you would not survive that.

Fightest

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
> We can definitely Squire them. See if they're amenable to that.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2012, 08:33:48 PM »
> We can definitely Squire them. See if they're amenable to that.

Your mind turns to the title he had trust upon him.  Surely that must be a source of great shame, even to a goblin, and it was crueler then any prank you had played before the turning of the world.  There was no way you could grant the creature knighthood, but perhaps....  "Grimkald was it?  To betray a service with insult, no matter how lowly, is shameful.  While I am no king, I could grant you a proper rise in status.  What say you to being named a squire?"

"Squire?  Not master of toilets?"  The goblin looks at you in surprise then narrows his eyes suspiciously.  "How does Grimkald know you keep your word?"

Daiyousei steps forward.  "I Daiyousei, Lady of the Spring Court do stand witness to Sir Cirno of the Winter Courts.  I swear by the seasons that rule us, the icicles of winter and the winds of spring, that our words are true and free of treachery."  The power of Daiyousei's glamor strengthens, and you know the powers that rule the fae stand judge to her oath.  The goblins look on in awe, as do your other companions, for they had not seen a fairy oath in action before.

Grimkald shakes off his surprise, though he still seems somewhat awed by the display.  "Grimkild not easy to buy!  Grimkild not follow you around as servant just for name."

While useful in the short term you can't think of anything you'd like less then having a goblin squire following you about.  "Squires of the Winter Court may journey on their own to find strength.  We are trained to stand alone, unlike those who are chosen by seasons of mercy.  If you accept you are not bound to my service, though it would be shameful to stand against me in anything but fair single combat."

Grimkald snorts at this, then thinks for a bit.  After a while he smiles widely and his eyes seem to gleam a bit.  "Is there a stipend for Grimkald.  Money for his journeys?"

Fightest

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2012, 11:19:35 PM »
> What is our capacity to scrounge gold or other currency?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2012, 11:53:32 PM »
http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,12247.msg802577.html#msg802577

You currently possess 99 gold, 9 silver and 9 copper.  And of course all the fairy gold you can conjure up, were you to do such a thing.

10 copper is worth a silver, and ten silver is worth a gold.  The official minting has some nonsense involving pence to ninepence to shillings to pounds sterling, but given most of the money was still of Gensoukyo origin,  the merchants banded together and stamped out new generic coins that didn't cause a fight in the marketplace every hour.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 12:21:40 AM »
>Could we offer him some degree of "official" stewardship over this land? Do faeries recognize property rights?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
>Could we offer him some degree of "official" stewardship over this land? Do faeries recognize property rights?
In a loose sense, in that you know they exist but stealing is fun.  However since he feels he already owns the land you'll have to find a good reason why you have any say in the matter.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2012, 01:28:17 AM »
...Do faeries even do stipends, traditionally? Is the concept a new thing that's been adopted since things became unzipped?