Author Topic: The Company of the Nine  (Read 84044 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: The Company of the Nine
« Reply #240 on: March 22, 2012, 02:19:10 AM »
I didn't even remember a tent.

Down with checking it out, as long as it doesn't blatantly seem to be off limits.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #241 on: March 22, 2012, 02:22:05 AM »
Satisfied for now you bow to the three.  "Thank you for your words.  However, I think now we should be off.  We have much to think about."

"Aye you do.  More then you seem to realize.  But it matters not right now."  Marisa gives you a faint smile.  "Fare you well, at this the beginning of the turn of the world."

"From this meeting the seed of power will be born."  Alice says.  "Know you have healed this realm a little."

Wriggle's eyes open in shock.  "So that's how it be done!?  A fine trick that is.  Wait how did I...."

Wriggle has gained the Mistwalk: Spell.  She can travel instantly from the Forest of Magic to any place she has been to since the change came to Gensoukyo (currently the Garden of the Sun, the Human Village, the Hakurei Shrine and the Bamboo Forest).  Cost 1 MP.  Only works at night.

Patchouli wheezes.  "And now our time together ends.  Think well upon our words, both before and after.  But now be where you are supposed to be."

The mists close in around you and then dissipate.  To your surprise you find yourself standing outside the very tent you had decided to inspect before!  "A mighty trick!" Mystia chirps happily.  "And a fine gift in parting."

"And it isn't a puzzle, which is nice," grumbles Rumia.

"Well then, let us see what we can see," you say and look over the tent.

The structure is large.  As big as many houses.  The sign next to it is in a terribly ornate script, but you manage to decipher it as saying, "The Grand Mercantile Establishment of the Honest Rinnousuke Morichika, Fine Wares from the Mystical Orient!"  A smaller sign states, "We Serve Humans and Youkai.  Open all Hours for any Honorable Customers."  Sure enough there seems to be a faint light shining out from under the flap.

"A store?  Intriguing," You look back at your companions.  "Well, since the Fates gave us extra time, perhaps we can spend some of it seeing what this store has to offer."

"A fine idea Cirno," Daiyousei replies.

"So long as we spend our time in pursuit of items of might instead of dresses, I see no issue with it," says Mystia.

"Then it is settled."  You push open the tent flap and walk in.

The inside of the tent is a riot of colors.  Strange items from every corner of the world are strewn about haphazardly.  Even in the dim light given by the hooded lanterns inside you can see swords and shields, carpets and kimonos, and even some items of the outside world, all piled about with no rhyme or reason.  There must be a thousand treasures here, all buried by ten thousand pieces of common junk.

Your inspection is interrupted as a figure, about your height, rises from a table hidden behind a suit of full mongol armor and moves towards you.  As she gets into better light you see she is a bird youkai, though her colors are blue instead of mystia's brown and she has a single wing on her head.  Stranger still she wears but light silk pants and a vest, along with a see through veil.  Her bow, while respectful, is odd as well.  "Greetings noble travelers and welcome to our humble tent.  The glorious master of this store, the great Rinnousuke, is sleeping at this late hour, however I Tokiko, have been honored with the ability to make bargains in his stead.  Please, feel free to browse, or should you wish to find a specific item, I would be honored to search for it."

"Hm...  I'm sure there is some item we have need of," you say looking about.

It is 12:01.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2012, 02:40:26 AM »
Time to hawk that armor. And maybe that horse we picked up?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #243 on: March 22, 2012, 03:00:37 AM »
Time to hawk that armor. And maybe that horse we picked up?

"We were wondering if you buy as well as sell," Rumia says, stepping forward with the items you earned in combat.  "We have this fine armor, and a warhorse as well."

Tokiko raises an eye at the armor, but shakes her head at the mention of a horse.  "A thousand apologies noble guests, but we sell goods here, not livestock.  We might be able to come to an arrangement about the armor though, and any other spare items you may have picked up, so long as you buy something.  You must understand, if we just let people sell to us on their first visit, less honorable constables might think we were a 'fence.'"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #244 on: March 22, 2012, 03:12:33 AM »
>Have a look around. And screw Mystia, dresses are fair game >=[

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2012, 03:20:39 AM »
> Dresses can be items of might!

> Take a look at their wares. What do they have that isn't junk?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2012, 03:37:43 AM »
To get a complete inventory of the place would be impossible you think, without a month and several servants to assist.  Within one corner of the tent lies a tengu mask, two Arabian carpets, a scimitar, two kodachi in a single long sheath, a flintlock pistol with twelve silver bullets, an odd folding contraption, an abacus and a small box containing semi precious stones,  beads, and black licorice.  And more items are hung above it.

Looking for items that crossed your mind earlier, you are able to find climbing gear (5gp for all of you), a series of wards for a camp(1gp per slip), a copy of Akyu's Gensoukyo Chronicle (before it was interrupted) (10gp5sp), and a nice pink dress with a parasol that you think would suit Daiyousei(7gp for the dress 2gp5cp for the parasol).  You are also able to catch Mystia inspecting a black dress with frills, and give her a fine ribbing over it.

Feel free to request items.  Or vaguely hint at items and hope Reccette Tokiko gives you what you want.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #247 on: March 22, 2012, 03:43:03 AM »
> Got anything that resists fire?

> Also, anything both magic and useful? An invisibility cloak would be awesome.

I vote to buy the climbing equipment.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #248 on: March 22, 2012, 03:56:59 AM »
> Got anything that resists fire?

Tokiko rummages around and produces a small vial.  "Ah, perhaps this potion will be of use to you!  It will make your body immune to flames... for a little while.  Sadly the previous owner did not know how long the protection would last.  Thus I offer it to you for the low price of 7 silver."

> Also, anything both magic and useful? An invisibility cloak would be awesome.

"A cloak of invisibility?  Oh would that I had such a wondrous item!  It would be as great as the legendary flying carpet.  Which I also do not possess should you be thinking of asking.  I do however have a cloak that makes the wearer uninteresting to those who casually observe them."  She pulls out a grey cloak.  "For a mere 20 gold you can have this wondrous item.  It was once used by an ogre to slip into the kings ball, for those that looked upon the creature thought it was a simple servant.  His assassination attempt was foiled however when he bumped into a knight who struck the 'servant for his clumsiness."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2012, 04:04:46 AM »
>Anything of that nature that would make a youkai or faerie look like a hunam? Or like different youkai altogether? Also, does that dress and parasol seem familiar? If so, ask about where they came from.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2012, 04:14:36 AM »
> The shopkeeper wouldn't lie to us, would she? I mean about the cloak, trying to pass off a grey cloak for something useful.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2012, 04:17:57 AM »
>Anything of that nature that would make a youkai or faerie look like a hunam? Or like different youkai altogether?
Tokiko frowns at that.  "I fear we don't have anything quite like that honored customer.  We have some simple illusion candies that might work with your glamors to make you appear more humanish in age, but I fear you will have to hide your wings and other features yourself.  Placing extra illusions on one of your race is difficult.  If you desire the candies they are cheap though.  One copper apiece and they last two hours."

Also, does that dress and parasol seem familiar?
No they do not.

> The shopkeeper wouldn't lie to us, would she? I mean about the cloak, trying to pass off a grey cloak for something useful.
You've never heard of Rinnousuke cheating someone before.  But you don't know Tokiko well.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2012, 06:19:15 AM »
> Would flashlights be useful?

> Can Tokiko suggest any armor and weapons?

I vote we buy the climbing gear package and 3 of the slips for a camp.

I'd also be interested in that grey cloak.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »
I think it'd be a good idea to compose a list of all the things we're going to need.

The cloak will be very useful, it should let someone into town. And if we're lucky, into other places.

Climbing gear isn't bad to have. Restoratives would be nice. Divining items would be nice. There's all kinds of things I'm overlooking; go.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »
Yeah, that cloak can be phenomenally useful.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #255 on: March 22, 2012, 03:28:21 PM »
>Flashlights
You have no idea what those are.  Lanterns might be nice (1cp), but Wriggle is a firefly, and you and Daiyousei can shed soft light if needed.

>Armor and Weapons
Your companions should upgrade their armor to plate or chain, but they have all refused to in the past for various reasons so you've given up on that.

As for weapons there are a great number of them, but most of them would be useless as you have no idea how to properly wield them.  Rumia finds some cunningly designed wrist blades (8sp), but you are uncertain how much more effective they would be then her knives.  Mystia on the other hand finds a axe that seems to be made of the finest glass.  Tokiko hurries over.  "Ah, this is a very special weapon.  When used in battle the glass turns to raw lightning.  While this means it cannot cut foes, it can strike those wearing the strongest armors without being blunted.  A fine weapon that you can possess for merely 14 gold."

>Restoratives would be nice.
Tokiko thinks a moment on this.  "Understand honored guest that finding a restorative that works for all youkai is very difficult.  What would heal a fairy might kill your friend the darkness youkai.  Perhaps a master healer could specially brew a potion that would compliment all of your energies, but I cannot sell you such items.  It would shame me and master Rinnousuke if someone died because of an item we gave them."

"I do have two potions created by the witch of the forest in her younger days that revitalize the magical prowess of the drinker.  Perhaps if you have a healer among you they could be useful.  They are yours for but three gold apiece."

>Divining items would be nice.
"Ah I fear I would need greater information on what kind of divination you seek.  I do have one interesting item though..." she shuffles around in a stack of papers.  "Ah, here my friends, come and see.  This wondrous map not only writes itself, but can map both dimensions.  And it searches ahead and around your party so that you waste less time pursuing dead ends.  A useful tool for the underground if you dare to venture there.  I am willing to almost give it away for but 12 gold and 7 silver."

>Current shopping cart
One cloak of 'look over there'   20gp
Climbing gear for all (includes rope grapnels etc) 5gp
Selling 1 suit of plate mail and 4 extra crossbows  -23 gp
Current Costs: 2 gp

« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »
That map is pretty nice. But expensive.

We have what? 94 gold?
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2012, 07:58:39 PM »
That map is pretty nice. But expensive.

We have what? 94 gold?
Party Funds ? 103gp, 1 silver, 4 copper

You currently are spending 2 gp.  And you have a sword that you can still pawn off, should you wish.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2012, 08:08:52 PM »
Hawk the sword.

We want that map; any information we can get before having to deal with it the hard way is valuable information. Getting the mana restores is a good idea, too. Never know when we're going to botch.

The axe...sounds interesting. It'd definitely be good for several situations, in and out of battle. Inquire as to what is considered battle for purposes of activation. Does it come with a sheathe? Don't want people getting funny ideas about nabbing it more than necessary.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »
Hawk the sword.

We want that map; any information we can get before having to deal with it the hard way is valuable information. Getting the mana restores is a good idea, too. Never know when we're going to botch.

The axe...sounds interesting. It'd definitely be good for several situations, in and out of battle. Inquire as to what is considered battle for purposes of activation. Does it come with a sheathe? Don't want people getting funny ideas about nabbing it more than necessary.
Seconding all of this.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »
"Hm...  understand noble guests that I am not the creator of this item so I can merely make guesses.  However it seems that the magic of most lands is based upon belief.  Should you believe yourself to be engaged in a fight for your life it will work.  If your "fight" is against a pool of liquid in order to stun fish it will probably fail."

(It comes with a simple sheath in order to protect the blade when not in use.)

>Current shopping cart
Map of Mapping 12gp 7 sp
Potions of Magical Restoration 6gp
Selling 1 suit of plate mail, one knights sword and 4 extra crossbows  -31 gp
Current Costs: 12 gp 7sp

Now would also be a good time to consider if you are continuing on to the Garden of the Sun and if Wriggle will fast track you there.

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #261 on: March 23, 2012, 02:31:44 AM »
I say get both map and axe.

Also, let's see what charms they may have; some might have useful effects.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #262 on: March 23, 2012, 03:15:33 AM »
I am pretty much down with the whole shopping cart.

And fuck, let's get Daiyousei that dress. We didn't get into the Nichting business to not have fine things once in awhile! And we got the cash.

>Have a look around for other magical doodads that may be fun to have around.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #263 on: March 23, 2012, 03:48:07 AM »
>Current shopping cart
Map of Mapping 12gp 7 sp
Potions of Magical Restoration 6gp
Axe of Lightning 15gp
?Cute Dress and Parasol? 2gp 2sp
Selling 1 suit of plate mail, one knights sword and 4 extra crossbows  -31 gp
Current Costs: 29 gp 9sp

>Have a look around for other magical doodads that may be fun to have around.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much immediately on display that will be of use for you.  At a guess much of the business this store does is with humans and noble fae, so the common items they have aren't useful, or their effects would be detrimental to Rumia, Mystia and Wriggle.  The only thing you've found that might be useful is a wand that allows you to extend your glamor over objects for a fortnight instead of the normal duration, and that is priced at 25gp.  Obviously they're pricing it to fleece really really rich nobles.  You'll have to ask Tokiko for something specific or mount a massive search to find anything else that fits you.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #264 on: March 23, 2012, 03:58:04 AM »
I'm actually pretty good with our current selection, and vote to go to checkout. But there wouldn't happen to be a witches broom for flying around here, would there? I'm also interested in spellbooks, specifically ones concerning conjuration and transmutation, ranged weapons, and anything which can increase the number of spells we can perform a day.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #265 on: March 23, 2012, 04:19:28 AM »
I'm actually pretty good with our current selection, and vote to go to checkout. But there wouldn't happen to be a witches broom for flying around here, would there? I'm also interested in spellbooks, specifically ones concerning conjuration and transmutation, ranged weapons, and anything which can increase the number of spells we can perform a day.
While there are items of that type about none of them are useful to you because they're designed for humans and magician youkai.  Fairies are living magic and can't really learn spells,  Wriggle's powers come from nature, Mystia can't read, and Rumia's just a poor student.  You think the Wyrd Sisters spoke on how to gain power through your innate youkai strength, but tomes and grimoires are useless to you.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #266 on: March 23, 2012, 06:18:13 AM »
One thing that comes to mind is bribery items. Money is kind of a crass gift, but offering up something nice can do a lot toward getting us an audience with someone powerful without having to go a lot of bloodshed beforehand.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #267 on: March 23, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »
One thing that comes to mind is bribery items. Money is kind of a crass gift, but offering up something nice can do a lot toward getting us an audience with someone powerful without having to go a lot of bloodshed beforehand.
This can be handled easily.  Simply give an adjective for the item to be found and a price.  Something will pop up.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #268 on: March 23, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »
It was mentioned there was one of each realm, so Yamame fits the underground location.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #269 on: March 23, 2012, 09:18:25 PM »
Let's consider shiny, artistic, martial, natural, and aristocratic items in the 1 gold, 5 gold, 10 gold, and 20 gold ranges.