Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 2)  (Read 54071 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 2)
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2011, 04:10:02 AM »
>"Thanks!"
>Head inside.

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2011, 04:54:24 AM »
>"Thanks!"
>Head inside.

>You thank the fairy and head inside.
>"What's so great about the day, anyway," you hear her muttering behind you. "Only boring old sun."

>You step into the porch of the orphanage. It feels like a long time since you've set foot inside this place, but you could still navigate it with your eyes closed. As much as you've forged out into the world and left the sleepy stasis of Easthaven behind, there's still some part of you here. You grew into yourself here, back when the world seemed very different indeed. You wonder if you avoid the place a little because it reminds you of how you started, so very far from the person you've strived to become. Not that they're bad memories or anything...
>Ahead of you is a large common room, with ample comfortable seating, a (very) modest library, and a few other things for people to busy themselves with. It was never quite tidy, despite Ichirin's best efforts. You wonder if that shogi set is still kicking around. You remember Orange's exultant triumph the first (and only) time she beat you. Actually, you're pretty sure everyone else in the house knew within the next 5 minutes. In retrospect, you probably shouldn't have been so irate with her afterwards; she'd meant well, even if it had felt like rubbing it in your face at the time. Past the common room is a playroom for the very young kids, and the kitchen. Beyond that is mostly bedrooms; fairly small ones, all things told, and people sometimes had to bunk together when space was short, although you had a room to yourself for most of your time here.
>The orphanage is quiet and mostly dark at the moment, but you see a small light coming from the kitchen.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2011, 05:09:26 AM »
>Kitchens are a mouse's specialty; go that way!

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2011, 05:47:58 AM »
>Kitchens are a mouse's specialty; go that way!

>You walk down the hall and into the kitchen. Although it's a fairly large for a kitchen, so much of the room is devoted to cupboards and pantry space that it feels rather narrow. Breakfast time could sometimes turn into an exercise in acrobatics if too many people decided they were hungry at the same time. Conversely, it was always provisioned to feed a crowd.
>The thin and flickering light is coming from a candle on the kitchen table. Ichirin is sitting beside it, nursing a cup of tea.
>She looks up at you as you enter and smiles. "I didn't know if you'd be back before dawn."

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:22 AM »
>"I discoved I may have a bit of a task ahead of me. Didn't wanna tackle it without at least a few hours sleep, especially after spending all day on the road."
>Pull up a chair and have a seat.
>"Place seems a bit smaller now."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2011, 06:12:29 AM »
>"And didn't I tell you not to stay up for me?"
>Smile.
>"So, something about cattle?"

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2011, 07:09:53 PM »
>"I discoved I may have a bit of a task ahead of me. Didn't wanna tackle it without at least a few hours sleep, especially after spending all day on the road."
>Pull up a chair and have a seat.
>"Place seems a bit smaller now."

>Ichirin nods, the slightest hint of a frown on her face. "I'm glad you're not planning to ignore that entirely."
>You pull up a chair and sit down. It is an immediate blessed relief. You don't think it had fully hit you until that moment just how long you've been on your feet.
>"That's just the big city rubbing off on you," she says lightly.

>"And didn't I tell you not to stay up for me?"
>Smile.
>"So, something about cattle?"

>Ichrin smiles. "Did you honestly expect me not to?"
>"Oh, does it have to be work right away?" She frowns at you. "You said it yourself; you've been on the road all day. You can give yourself a few minutes break."
>She stands up and moves towards the stove. "I left some tea simmering," she says, fetching a mug from the cupboard. "I assume you're hungry, too?"

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2011, 07:23:31 PM »
>"Very so, yeah. I really hope I'm not being a bother either."

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2011, 07:55:34 PM »
>"Very so, yeah. I really hope I'm not being a bother either."

>"I'd like to think you know better than to worry about that," she says, fetching more things from the cupboards. "You're always welcome here, Nazrin."
>She pours you a cup of tea from the kettle, then returns to the table with a plate bearing several slices of fresh homemade bread, blueberry jam, and some peppered cheese. She puts it and the tea down in front of you.
>"I can get you something more substantial, if you'd like," she says.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
> "Naw.  This is great the way it is."
> Thank Ichirin for the food and tea and smear some jam onto a slice of bread.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2011, 08:21:41 PM »
> "Naw.  This is great the way it is."
> Thank Ichirin for the food and tea and smear some jam onto a slice of bread.

>Ichrin nods, then sits back down across from you.
>You thank Ichirin, and set to putting some jam on that bread. Much as the chair helped drive home how long you'd been standing, having some decent food in front of you makes you all the more aware of how hungry you are. You didn't exactly starve yourself on the way here, but dried traveling rations have nothing on this, as simple as it may be.
>"So, how've things been with you?" she asks. "And how long have you had that badge now, anyway?"

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »
> "Only had it since yesterday... or is it the day before yesterday now? But yeah, it's been... interesting."
> Nibble on the bread. Should we tell Ichirin how Orange did...?

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »
> "Only had it since yesterday... or is it the day before yesterday now? But yeah, it's been... interesting."
> Nibble on the bread. Should we tell Ichirin how Orange did...?

>"So I guess you haven't even had time to get used to it yourself, yet," she says. "Well, congratulations again, although I never had a doubt that you'd do it."
>You nibble on the bread. It's fresh and moist and the jam is succulent. Really, as hungry as you are, you have a hard time keeping yourself to nibbling.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
>"Thanks, Ichirin. What else have I been missing back in Easthaven?"
>Since this one will probably take a while, go ahead and dig in in the meantime. But pay attention.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2011, 10:40:48 PM »
>"Thanks, Ichirin. What else have I been missing back in Easthaven?"
>Since this one will probably take a while, go ahead and dig in in the meantime. But pay attention.

>"Oh, not much around town that you'd be very interested in, I'm sure," she says. "Tanehara's old mare broke her leg the other week, Ichirou decided to plant corn this year instead of tomatoes, Willard continues to complain about the export tariffs." She smiles faintly. "I know why you left."
>"As for the orphanage, well... Things have been quieter around here lately. I don't think we've been full up since you were living here. Timothy moved to Wynsdale last winter. He's working as a vintner's apprentice. Oh, Yoriko and Tadaki finally got married in the spring."
>Ichirin carries on this way for a little while, updating you on the comings and goings of people who live here, or used to. Some names you recognize well, others you don't.
>While she talks, you dig into the food. The cheese has an excellent zing to it and the tea is pretty good, too - lemon, with a hint of mint.

>"But really, I'd much rather hear about what you've been up to," she says after a little while. "You never write."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:48:23 PM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2011, 11:09:27 PM »
>Ouch. That doesn't feel good, for some reason.
>"Well... Well, once I I got into the Seekers, I ended up apprenticed to one of the more... notorious members of the guild, witch named Marissa. You may have heard of her? Blonde girl, flys around on a broom, tends to make things explode just by walking past?"

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »
>Ouch. That doesn't feel good, for some reason.
>"Well... Well, once I I got into the Seekers, I ended up apprenticed to one of the more... notorious members of the guild, witch named Marissa. You may have heard of her? Blonde girl, flys around on a broom, tends to make things explode just by walking past?"

>She's not exactly wrong, but somehow it feels worse actually hearing her say it...
>Ichirin looks somewhat dismayed at your explanation of Marisa. "That... doesn't sound very pleasant. Why would they give such a dangerous-sounding person charge of the beginners?"

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2011, 11:23:01 PM »
>Grin.
>"Look at it this way: Spending much time around her is a sure-fire way to learn where NOT to stand when spells start flying."
>Pause for a moment to have another go at that cheese.
>"But honestly, she's not as bad as you might think. I mean, sure, she's real good at blowing things up, but she's not as wantonly destructive as her rep might tell you. In fact, in all the time I spent with her, I never got caught in any of her explosions. Well, except for one, and that wasn't entirely her fault."

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2011, 11:33:22 PM »
>Grin.
>"Look at it this way: Spending much time around her is a sure-fire way to learn where NOT to stand when spells start flying."
>Pause for a moment to have another go at that cheese.
>"But honestly, she's not as bad as you might think. I mean, sure, she's real good at blowing things up, but she's not as wantonly destructive as her rep might tell you. In fact, in all the time I spent with her, I never got caught in any of her explosions. Well, except for one, and that wasn't entirely her fault."

>Ichirin nods dubiously. "Well, at least you seem in good spirits about it."
>You have another piece of cheese. It really is good cheese.
>"Wasn't entirely her fault?" she asks, pointedly.

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2011, 11:35:49 PM »
>"Well, I didn't know those things exploded when mixed, either."
>Better explain that, hadn't we?
>"Mari dabbles in alchemy from time to time, says it 'fits her image' or something. Doesn't always go to plan, that. She turned half the guildhall pink once."

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »
>"Well, I didn't know those things exploded when mixed, either."
>Better explain that, hadn't we?
>"Mari dabbles in alchemy from time to time, says it 'fits her image' or something. Doesn't always go to plan, that. She turned half the guildhall pink once."

>"You're not exactly inspiring confidence about her," Ichirin says, still regarding you warily. "But, well, if you think she's ok, I'll trust your judgment. I know you aren't easily taken in."

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2011, 12:16:54 AM »
> "Well I don't blame you for being wary.  She is kind of a handful."
> "So...  I completed my first solo job today."

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2011, 12:21:06 AM »
> "Well I don't blame you for being wary.  She is kind of a handful."
> "So...  I completed my first solo job today."

>"She certainly sounds that way," Ichirin says. "But that isn't always so bad, if you like someone."
>"Well you're certainly not wasting any time. What was it?"

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2011, 12:36:38 AM »
> "I had to find a witch's...  cat."
> Pause and gauge her reaction.
> "The little guy was surprisingly mellow though.  Found him in the company of some faeries and he didn't so much as blink as I was taking him back."

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2011, 12:39:25 AM »
>"Like... You mean, like- Waitaminute, you don't think I...!"
>Are we blushing? Better not be.

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2011, 12:44:48 AM »
Put this one in front of Hakasu's. Add in between:
> Quickly change the subject!

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2011, 12:53:50 AM »

>"Well, you like her, don't you?" Ichirin says, matter-of-factly. "At least it sounded that way to me. I didn't mean you liked her." She pauses, gauging your consternation. A hint of a grin tugs at the corner of her mouth.  "Unless you do, of course."
>You really hope you're not blushing. Ichirin's expression isn't helping; her eyes have the faintest hint of a sparkle in them. At your expense, no doubt.

> Quickly change the subject!

>You quickly change the subject!

> "I had to find a witch's...  cat."
> Pause and gauge her reaction.
> "The little guy was surprisingly mellow though.  Found him in the company of some faeries and he didn't so much as blink as I was taking him back."

>You mention Sokrates, then pause for Ichirin's reaction. Hopefully she'll just forget about the last few seconds. She nods, doing her best to present an expression of neutral attentiveness, but you swear you can see her trying not to just grin at you. Whether it's about the cat, or about Marisa, you're honestly not sure.
>"Well, it may not have been the kind of treasure you're hoping to find," Ichirin says, "but I'm sure her mattered a lot to someone."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2011, 01:16:37 AM »
>"Oh, it did. The witch who lost him was ecstatic. Paid really well for that kind of job, too."

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2011, 01:22:57 AM »
>"Oh, it did. The witch who lost him was ecstatic. Paid really well for that kind of job, too."

>Ichirin smiles. "So, a good deed and good pay. I'd say you're off to a great start."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2011, 01:26:20 AM »
>"Enough to eat on for a few days. But I'll definitely need better jobs soon."