Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest  (Read 54388 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest
« Reply #600 on: May 02, 2011, 10:19:59 AM »
>Gotta bad feeling about this.
>"Hi, Rinnosuke. How's it going?"
>Apart from his potential knowledge of old coins, what else do we know about Rinnosuke?

« Reply #601 on: May 02, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »
>Gotta bad feeling about this.
>"Hi, Rinnosuke. How's it going?"
>Apart from his potential knowledge of old coins, what else do we know about Rinnosuke?

>You feel a few misgivings about that expression...
>Rinnosuke raises an eyebrow ever so slightly. "Things are fine. It's been an uneventful day, all things considered."
>Rinnosuke Morichika is the guildmaster of the Seeker's Guild. Given the fairly casual nature of the guild hierarchy, you've interacted with him quite a few times; he's a courteous, unassuming fellow, although he has a somewhat enigmatic reputation. You get the impression he used to be an adventurer of no small skill, years ago, although you've seen very little evidence of it from your own interactions. He's essentially retired from active duty these days, and mostly manages the running of the guild and other administrative tasks.
>He's somewhat infamous for his collection of esoteric and sometimes extremely rare and valuable objects. He often displays a few of them in his office, although he rotates the pieces frequently, and no one is exactly clear on how large the collection really is. And of course there are rumors of even more valuable finds that no one ever sees. You rather suspect the rumors have grown larger than the collection itself, by this point. The puzzling bit, of course, is where he manages to find all of these things, especially given that he rarely seems to leave Braston these days. Rinnosuke himself is usually silent on the matter, and there are more than a few wild theories about that, too. Of course, one of the more plausible is that he simply keeps unearthing pieces from deep storage, which he actually acquired years ago. But who knows? Still, he has excellent appraisal skills, and has the single most comprehensive knowledge of unusual items of anyone you've ever met.

« Reply #602 on: May 02, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »
>Mouse-senses tingling. Something's not quite right here...
>"Not for me, boss, I've had a heck of a day so far. More coming, I'd wager, too, but I wanted to stop off to report the completion of a job first.... Well, kind of. Bit of a story to it, if you'll bear with me."

« Reply #603 on: May 02, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »
>Mouse-senses tingling. Something's not quite right here...
>"Not for me, boss, I've had a heck of a day so far. More coming, I'd wager, too, but I wanted to stop off to report the completion of a job first.... Well, kind of. Bit of a story to it, if you'll bear with me."

>The eyebrow raises further. "Go ahead," he says.

« Reply #604 on: May 02, 2011, 12:42:45 PM »
>"Not sure if you saw or not, but a request came in earlier today with no name attached to it, just an address. Turns out it was a witch named Ellen, and her cat had gone missing. Long story short, I found him and brought him home, but because she never left a name with the original request, I figured that would lead to a bit of a problem with the paperwork. But she said she'd swing by here sometime later today to straighten things out. Just wanted to give you a heads-up before she arrives."
>IF she arrives.

« Reply #605 on: May 02, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
>"Not sure if you saw or not, but a request came in earlier today with no name attached to it, just an address. Turns out it was a witch named Ellen, and her cat had gone missing. Long story short, I found him and brought him home, but because she never left a name with the original request, I figured that would lead to a bit of a problem with the paperwork. But she said she'd swing by here sometime later today to straighten things out. Just wanted to give you a heads-up before she arrives."
>IF she arrives.

>"Oh, is that what that was about?" Sashiko says. "A cat?" She snickers.
>"You were here when the request came in, then?" Rinnosuke asks, looking at Sashiko.
>She nods. "Yeah. You know that pink one, with the hearts doodled on it? Never even really said what she wanted, but I figured I might as well post it. Who knows, right? Somebody might think it was worth looking into. It's been a slow day anyway."
>"And she delivered it in person?"
>Sashiko nods again. "Yup. Seemed a little spacey, actually." She twirls a figure beside her head.
>"Hmmm...." Rinnosuke frowns thoughtfully. "Well, if the she comes back to confirm completion, ask her if she'll sign something anyway, just for bookkeeping purposes. If not, well... as long as you can recognize that it's the same person, you may as well take down the notice."

« Reply #606 on: May 02, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
>If Sashiko thinks she was only 'a little' spacy, Ellen obviously wasn't here very long, then. Nice girl, good heart, hardly the sharpest kunai in the pouch, though.
>"Actually, boss, while you're here, would you mind having a look at something for me? Ellen's payment included an odd kind of coin; says it's a guilder, but it seems much older than the current standard."

« Reply #607 on: May 02, 2011, 01:25:45 PM »
>If Sashiko thinks she was only 'a little' spacy, Ellen obviously wasn't here very long, then. Nice girl, good heart, hardly the sharpest kunai in the pouch, though.
>"Actually, boss, while you're here, would you mind having a look at something for me? Ellen's payment included an odd kind of coin; says it's a guilder, but it seems much older than the current standard."

>Maybe she was trying to be polite?
"Oh?" He looks intrigued. "Hmmm.... let me see it."

« Reply #608 on: May 02, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »
>Show the odd guilder out to the boss-man.

« Reply #609 on: May 02, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »
>Show the odd guilder out to the boss-man.

>You hand Rinnosuke the old-looking guilder. He scrutinizes it, examining both sides carefully, and holding it out to catch the light such that fine surface details are made clearer.
>"It's precolonial, I think," he says, after a few moments. "At least a couple hundred years old. It might take some research to determine more precisely than that. I'm quite confident it's genuine, however."

« Reply #610 on: May 02, 2011, 01:37:04 PM »
>Do we know what he means by 'precolonial'?

« Reply #611 on: May 02, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
>Do we know what he means by 'precolonial'?

>You assume it would be before the Outer Freelands were settled. Even if most of the communities in the region are essentially self-governing, many started out as colonies of Val Razua; Braston still has close ties with the city, and Val Razua exerts some measure of political control over exports and trade, even if it's not involved in the day-to-day running of the place.

« Reply #612 on: May 02, 2011, 01:49:51 PM »
>Whistle quickly.
>"So we're talking something right out of history here, the kind of thing collectors spend years tracking down?"

« Reply #613 on: May 02, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »
>Whistle quickly.
>"So we're talking something right out of history here, the kind of thing collectors spend years tracking down?"

>You whistle. That was one profitable cat retrieval.
>Rinnosuke frowns and looks at you uncertainly. "I... think you may be getting ahead of yourself. It's worth quite a bit more than its face value, certainly, but it was a highly circulated coin in its day, and this particular one is not of any especial significance as far as I can tell."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #614 on: May 02, 2011, 01:59:53 PM »
>"Are there any especially significant coins from back then?"

« Reply #615 on: May 02, 2011, 02:07:58 PM »
>"Are there any especially significant coins from back then?"

>"Of course," he says. "Perhaps a commemorative design from an important date, or a minting that was somehow unusual - a distinctive error, perhaps, or a denomination which was minted in far smaller quantity. There are many attributes interested collectors might value. This one would have been quite mundane in its day, I suspect."
>He hands the coin back to you.

« Reply #616 on: May 02, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »
>Wonder how Ellen ended up with that.
>"Still, call that a happy little surprise from the job. Nice touch for a first day. And even if it isn't that special, like you said, worth more than face value."
>Pocket the coin.
>"You wouldn't happen to know anyone around town interesting in this kind of thing? Or someone in easthaven, for that matter?"

« Reply #617 on: May 02, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »
>Wonder how Ellen ended up with that.
>"Still, call that a happy little surprise from the job. Nice touch for a first day. And even if it isn't that special, like you said, worth more than face value."
>Pocket the coin.
>"You wouldn't happen to know anyone around town interesting in this kind of thing? Or someone in easthaven, for that matter?"

>That's a good question, actually.
>"Strange choice in payment," Sashiko mutters. "But hey, that's probably pretty good money for the time. You only left, what, a couple hours ago, tops?"
>"Whitfield's does deal in coins," Rinnosuke says, "though I'm not certain they'd offer you more than a small portion of its value. And I would think you'd be more familiar with Easthaven than I. Hmmm..." He pauses. "I may be able to get you in touch with a collector directly if you give me some time. I can't make any promises, but I imagine you could get a more favorable price."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #618 on: May 02, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
>"Hey, could you tell if there was anything unusual about the coin? Like, if it had a spell on it, or filled with the lingering regrets of a previous owner, or something weird like that?"

« Reply #619 on: May 02, 2011, 03:05:36 PM »
>"Hey, could you tell if there was anything unusual about the coin? Like, if it had a spell on it, or filled with the lingering regrets of a previous owner, or something weird like that?"

>Rinnosuke looks a little taken aback. "Um, I might, depending on what it was. I certainly don't sense anything unusual about it beyond what I already told you. ...is there some reason you ask?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #620 on: May 02, 2011, 03:43:22 PM »
>"Well, I did get it from a witch, so I figured maybe there might have been more to it than meets the eye, you know?"

« Reply #621 on: May 02, 2011, 03:50:12 PM »
>"Well, I did get it from a witch, so I figured maybe there might have been more to it than meets the eye, you know?"

>"Ah, yes, well..." Rinnosuke adjusts his glasses. "In this case, I feel fairly confident it's just an old coin. Although I suppose you could ask Marisa, if you felt the need for a second opinion."
>"You sure the coin would survive that?" Sashiko adds dryly.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #622 on: May 02, 2011, 04:00:46 PM »
>"Mmm, I see no reason to doubt. I just had to check and be sure."

« Reply #623 on: May 02, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »
>"Mmm, I see no reason to doubt. I just had to check and be sure."

>Rinnosuke nods. "Is there anything else, then?"

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #624 on: May 02, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »
>"Some fairies asked me about an informal job to get some cats for them. I think they just want specific breeds, so strays would be best, if either of you know good places to look."
>Also point out the fairies' preferences.

Any objections, Purv?
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #625 on: May 02, 2011, 04:13:44 PM »
None here.

>"Not that I expect either of you to chase strays, but if you saw anything?"

« Reply #626 on: May 02, 2011, 04:36:01 PM »
>"Some fairies asked me about an informal job to get some cats for them. I think they just want specific breeds, so strays would be best, if either of you know good places to look."
>Also point out the fairies' preferences.
>"Not that I expect either of you to chase strays, but if you saw anything?"

>You mention the fairies' request, and ask they have any ideas of places to look.
>Sashiko laughs. "Again with the cats?"
>"Stripes is rather nonspecific..." Rinnosuke remarks. "Also, cats are rather outside my expertise."
>"Actually..." Sashiko says, "Now that you mention it, there's a bunch of strays near my aunt's place. She started leaving food out for one of them and it turned into a crowd real quick. Don't think they all get along, but..." She shrugs. "Anyhow, it might be worth looking around out that way."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #627 on: May 02, 2011, 04:42:20 PM »
>"Alright, where does your aunt live?"

« Reply #628 on: May 02, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »
>"Alright, where does your aunt live?"

>"On the north end of the ever-ironically named Elmview," she says. "You know, out by Eastmarket? Fifth house on the left, before the street ends. Although I wouldn't be surprised if you could figure that much out on your own."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #629 on: May 02, 2011, 05:48:51 PM »
>Presumably that's on the way to Easthaven?
>Where is it in relation to the secret hideout?