Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest  (Read 54387 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest
« Reply #570 on: April 30, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
>"Okay. Leave yourself a note or something."
>What were those other jobs we took?

>"Don't worry," she says. "I won't forget!"

>You have noted four other jobs:
>from Ichirin, asking for investigation of missing livestock in Easthaven.
>from a restaurant in Braston, asking for investigation (and ideally retrieval) of a delayed shipment.
>from an herbalist, looking for bloodmoss and arlan, picked fresh from their natural habitat.
>from a bar north of the harbor district, looking for someone to collect tabs from severely overdrawn customers. Or at least that's what they appeared to be asking, if you read between the lines.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #571 on: April 30, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »
How about we do the restaurant job since we seem to have the time?

> What's the current time anyway?

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #572 on: April 30, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »
> What's the current time anyway?

>You think it's around 1PM. Perhaps a little later.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #573 on: April 30, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
>Which was is that restaurant, and were is it in relation to the guild, and that place that Ellen indicated?

« Reply #574 on: April 30, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »
>Which was is that restaurant, and were is it in relation to the guild, and that place that Ellen indicated?

>The restaurant is northwest of here. The guild is somewhat southwest of that (but still quite a bit north of Ellen's house). The place Ellen indicated is either south, or southwest of your current location.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #575 on: April 30, 2011, 06:11:11 PM »
>Rough travel times?

« Reply #576 on: April 30, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »
>Rough travel times?

>You could probably reach the guild in 15-20 minutes, the restaurant in slightly more than that, if you went directly from here - there's probably only 10 or so minutes distance between them. The place Ellen mentioned could be anywhere between 5 to 20 minutes from her house, depending on where exactly along the river she meant. This is essentially in the opposite direction of the other two locations.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #577 on: April 30, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
>Let's hit up that restaurant then.
>Bid Ellen farewell, and head that way. Figure out how much cash we have along the way.

« Reply #578 on: April 30, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
>Let's hit up that restaurant then.
>Bid Ellen farewell, and head that way. Figure out how much cash we have along the way.

>You decide to head for the restaurant next.
>You say goodbye to Ellen, and start walking in that direction. Counting your payment along the way, it seems the sachet Ellen gave you contains 50 guilders. However, one of the coins near the bottom of the pile gives you pause. While it does claim to be a 1 Val Razuan guilder coin, the design is different than the rest, and indeed from any you've personally handled; assuming it's authentic, you have the distinct feeling it's considerably older. You wonder if its inclusion was an oversight.

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #579 on: April 30, 2011, 06:48:53 PM »
>Would an old coin perhaps have greater value, at least to collectors?
>Do we know anyone who might be interested un such a coin?
>Do we know anyone who might be able to tell us what value the coin might have? Or is there a reference we can check?
>And do we know any way to determine its authenticity or know anyone who might know a way to do so?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #580 on: April 30, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »
>Keep an eye out for strays along the way.

« Reply #581 on: April 30, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »
>Would an old coin perhaps have greater value, at least to collectors?
>Do we know anyone who might be interested un such a coin?
>Do we know anyone who might be able to tell us what value the coin might have? Or is there a reference we can check?
>And do we know any way to determine its authenticity or know anyone who might know a way to do so?

>Old coins certainly can, although you're not very informed about the marketplace for such things; you couldn't guess how much, if anything, this particular one might be worth.
>There's an antique dealer or two in town, although Braston itself doesn't have a large market for such things; you don't know how good their prices would be. There's always an off-chance Rinnosuke himself might be interested. He does have a rather eclectic collection of seemingly unrelated goods, although he probably wouldn't be interested in it unless it was special in some way, and not merely a run-of-the-mill antique coin. There's probably a few coin collectors about; someone at the Seeker's guild might know where you could find one.
>If Rinnosuke himself couldn't appraise it, you're almost certain he would know who someone who could. The antique dealers probably also could, although you're not confident they'd give a fair appraisal if they were interested in acquiring it themselves.
>You'd probably trust Rinnosuke more than anyone else, on that front.

>Keep an eye out for strays along the way.

>You continue northward, keeping an eye out for strays as you go. You have a glance about for the tabby as you pass the place you saw him on the way down, but if he's still nearby, he's out of sight. In fact, in proves to be a disappointingly cat-free trip, and soon enough you find yourself in front of The Melon Bowl.

>It's a relatively small place, but rather less drab than a lot of buildings in Braston; you think it's fairly new. The front is festooned with brightly colored wooden wooden cut-outs of fresh fruit and large windows help give the place a light and open look.
>Stepping inside, you note that there are few customers, even for its size: a human couple at a table by the window, and a kappa with short teal hair and goggles on top of her head, sitting at a stool by the front counter, and digging enthusiastically into a pineapple parfait. Huh. Don't see many kappa out this way. A young woman with auburn hair stands behind the counter, idling mopping it with a wet rag.
>A glance at the menuboard suggests the place specializes in fresh fruit: smoothies, fruit salads, parfaits, waffles, and the like. However, a somewhat depressing number of items have 'out of stock' marked across them. Perhaps that might explain the empty room.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #582 on: April 30, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »
> Greet the woman behind the counter.
> "I'm from the local Seeker's guild.  I heard you were looking for someone to track a delayed shipment?"

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #583 on: April 30, 2011, 08:54:11 PM »
>Is there a Seeker's guild outside of Branston? Is it affiliated with us?

« Reply #584 on: April 30, 2011, 09:10:25 PM »
> Greet the woman behind the counter.
> "I'm from the local Seeker's guild.  I heard you were looking for someone to track a delayed shipment?"

>You walk up and greet the woman behind the counter.
>"Oh, hey," she says, looking a little more engaged than a moment ago. "And yeah, we're out of, well-" she gestures towards the menuboard. "I guess you can see for yourself. And I just served up the last of the pineapple just then."
>"And it's great," the kappa pipes up, between mouthfuls.

>Is there a Seeker's guild outside of Branston? Is it affiliated with us?

>There are chapters in several other major cities, but Braston is where it's headquartered. Perhaps not the most central location, but it's historical; the guild was founded and formalized here, back when the Outer Freelands had been a new frontier and there was the promise of discovery and riches over each new horizon. Of course, a lot of it's settled, now, and while the area still has most of the 'distant' that comes with a frontier, it has a lot less of the 'untold riches'. You get the impression that several of the other chapters aren't much more than a meeting place and a job board - you don't think many of them offer actual training.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #585 on: April 30, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
>"What happened?"
>Have a look at them menu whilst enjoying a chuckle at the kappa's enthusiasm.

« Reply #586 on: April 30, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »
>"What happened?"
>Have a look at them menu whilst enjoying a chuckle at the kappa's enthusiasm.

>"Beats me," she says. "That's sort of what I'm hoping you can find out. Well, that and actually get it here. You see, we don't keep a lot of surplus on hand - the fresher, the better, right? We have a contract with a farm in Easthaven for regular delivery, but our last shipment was supposed to come in almost a week ago now, and it hasn't showed up. I don't don't know why, and if I can't get it soon, I'm going to run out of stuff to sell entirely."
>You have a little chuckle at the kappa, and take another look at the menu. For a place where 90% of the menu seems to involve fruit in some way, there's a remarkable variety. Or, rather, there would be if over half the menu wasn't crossed off. Anything strawberry is plain out - most berries, in fact. They seem to still have bananas and actual melons - a stylized sketch of melon trio with granola and honey occupies a prominent position on one of the boards. Also, items without significant fruit content are all still ok; pancakes and waffles are fine, as long as you don't want them in 'berry blast' varieties.

« Reply #587 on: April 30, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »
> Frown. Disappearing livestock and missing shipments? Something's definitely afoot. On the plus side, going to Easthaven'll definitely be a two for one deal!

« Reply #588 on: May 01, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »
> Frown. Disappearing livestock and missing shipments? Something's definitely afoot. On the plus side, going to Easthaven'll definitely be a two for one deal!

>You frown. While this makes your trip to Easthaven doubly productive, you really hope nothing bad's going on out there.
>"I'll pay you something even if you just find out why they're late, but if you can also get the shipment here by tomorrow, I'll throw in a big bonus on top of it." She shakes her head. "If I don't get it in the next couple days, it won't be much different than if it didn't come in at all. Customers go away, and they don't all come back."
>"Their loss, I'm tellin' ya." The kappa adds. The owner throws her a sardonic expression.

« Reply #589 on: May 01, 2011, 03:34:22 PM »
>Bonus. That's a nice word to hear, especially when it has the modifier 'big' in front of it. Suppose we'd best to get moving, then, hadn't we?
>"What's this farm called?"
>If we set off now, or nearly enough, about when would we arrive in Easthaven?

« Reply #590 on: May 01, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »
>Bonus. That's a nice word to hear, especially when it has the modifier 'big' in front of it. Suppose we'd best to get moving, then, hadn't we?
>"What's this farm called?"
>If we set off now, or nearly enough, about when would we arrive in Easthaven?

>Bonuses are always good. Although you've learned that 'big' is often a relative term.
>"Isato Matsutaka is the person to speak to," she says. "It shouldn't be too hard to find the place."
>If you left now, you'd probably arrive a couple hours after nightfall.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #591 on: May 01, 2011, 03:51:36 PM »
>Do we think Ichirin would appreciate us showing up in the middle of the night demanding a place to sleep?

« Reply #592 on: May 01, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
>Do we think Ichirin would appreciate us showing up in the middle of the night demanding a place to sleep?

>To be honest, you think she'd probably be happy to see you. And if the orphanage doesn't actually have any unoccupied rooms at the moment, you're sure they have a spare futon you could toss on the floor somewhere.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #593 on: May 01, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »
>Well, it's something!
>Would the route to Easthaven take us through that place where the herbalist wanted the herbs found?
>"I'll do my best to get right on that."

We done here? If so, a trip to the guild house is probably in order, to close out that one job.

« Reply #594 on: May 01, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »
>Well, it's something!
>Would the route to Easthaven take us through that place where the herbalist wanted the herbs found?
>"I'll do my best to get right on that."

>That it is. Any money's good money, especially at this point.
>You honestly have no idea specifically where a good place to look for those would be, or for that matter, what arlan actually looks like; herbalism is far from a specialty of yours.
>"Excellent," the woman says, smiling. "Here's hoping for some good news."
>"You're doing a public service," the kappa says to you with a smirk. The woman behind the counter shakes her head and chuckles.

« Reply #595 on: May 02, 2011, 12:05:42 AM »
>"We aim to please."
>Toss a smirk and a nod at the kappa with the pineapple, then depart.

I think we could probably get away with just moving on to easthaven. No pressing need to turn in Ellen's job to hq right away, especially with the prospect of a bonus for quick shipment delivery.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #596 on: May 02, 2011, 12:12:36 AM »
It'd probably be better for us to close out one job before starting another, given the guild shouldn't be too far off. We need to tell the faeries we're going to be abandoning them for a bit, anyways, so a little more isn't going to hurt.

« Reply #597 on: May 02, 2011, 12:16:38 AM »
Well, I suppose. Besides, ynever know, we might find a stray cat (or two) to take to the fairys on our way to HQ. Stranger things have happened. And there might be someone at the guildhall we can ask about that odd coin of ours.

>Make our way back towards the guildhall. Keeping our eyes open for kitty cats, of course.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #598 on: May 02, 2011, 12:27:20 AM »
Well, the alternate plan is that we mug the kappa and steal her motorcycle.

« Reply #599 on: May 02, 2011, 08:49:14 AM »
>"We aim to please."
>Toss a smirk and a nod at the kappa with the pineapple, then depart.

>The kappa chuckles.
>"Well, if you can get that here tomorrow," the woman behind the counter says, "I'll be more than pleased, let me tell you."
>You toss a smirk and nod at the kappa. She lifts her glass to you, then sets back to finishing off the last of it. You turn and exit the Melon Bowl.

>Make our way back towards the guildhall. Keeping our eyes open for kitty cats, of course.

>You make your way back towards the guild, continuing to keep your eyes out for cats. Given that it's a fairly short trip, you don't have a lot of opportunity to see one, but as you pass by a butcher on your approach to the square, you notice someone in front of it tossing a scrap to an orange tabby who devours it greedily.
>Soon enough, you arrive back at the guildhall. Stepping inside, you see Sashiko still manning the counter, however a second taller figure is standing beside her now; they seem to be scrutinizing some piece of paperwork.
>"Ah, good afternoon, Nazrin," Rinnosuke says, looking up at you as you enter. Is it just you, or does Sashiko seem ever so slightly uncomfortable?