Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest  (Read 53015 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 07:03:28 PM »
>Grin a bit at Lunasa's description of Merlin's current state.
>"Hope Lyrica knows to stay upwind of her whenever possible."

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 08:03:33 PM »
>"Might as well look into it."
>Take the paper.
>Are there any other of interest, something easy to give us some money to eat on?

>Lunasa nods. "Who knows? Maybe it'll be more interesting than it sounds."
>You're not supposed to remove notices yourself. Aside from contracts which clearly cannot be simultaneously attempted by more than one person (such as deliveries), jobs can remain open even after one Seeker undertakes them. Many of the more interesting contracts can take a fair bit of time and luck, and could have multiple Seekers competing to be the first to complete them. If notices could be removed freely, certain... enterprising Seekers would be liable to strip the job board bare, so that no one else would have a chance of getting to anything before them.
>As poor as you are, you still have more than enough money to cover food for a little bit, and you could always duck into the communal kitchen; apprentice's duties cover basic meals, and you're sure no one would object merely a day after graduation.
>Still, scanning the other notices, you note a couple more beyond the usual:

>A restaurant complaining about a delayed shipment. Likely only involves pestering someone, but their supplier is probably out towards Easthaven and the pay isn't very good for the legwork. Still, it would probably only be time-consuming, not actually difficult.
>An herbalist is looking for an additional supply of fresh bloodmoss and arlan, picked in their natural habitat. Apparently the ones found in the wild are more potent and effective than cultivated varieties, although you cynically suspect that's probably because it's cheaper to hire a desperate Seeker to traipse around the woods than to pay someone who actually makes a living growing it.
>Another notice from a bar towards the harbor district brings a slight frown to your face. Although they beat around the bush, what they really seem to be asking is for someone to go collect tabs from severely overdrawn customers. Normally the oni take care of such things on your own, which makes you curious what the deal is.

> Examine the other people in the room.  Do we recognize them at all?

>You recognize one of the two people playing shogi in the corner. One of the younger apprentices - Mika, you think. You don't recognize her partner at all; might be a friend from out of guild. You're allowed to bring outsiders into the common area, as long as they're supervised. You think you may have seen the document-scrutinizing man once or twice before, but he doesn't stand out in your mind. Might be a casual member.

>Grin a bit at Lunasa's description of Merlin's current state.
>"Hope Lyrica knows to stay upwind of her whenever possible."

>Lunasa scrunches her face up a little. "It's not the first time this has happened," she says. "I've started to give up hope that she'll ever remember what the morning after is like until it is the morning after again." She sighs and shakes her head.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »
> Might as well go for the pink stationary job.
> "I could see how that would be a problem, especially considering how it was the night before a concert."

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 08:47:52 PM »
> Might as well go for the pink stationary job.
> "I could see how that would be a problem, especially considering how it was the night before a concert."

>You decide to investigate the pink stationary job. It does pique your curiosity, and there's always the chance it'll be more interesting than the rest of the jobs on the board. Not that this would be too hard at the moment.
>"She probably figured she'd worry about that tomorrow." Lunasa shakes her head. "We'll manage. She's played through worse before."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 11:48:43 PM »
>Take note of those other jobs, too. Never know when we might be in Easthaven or out in the woods.

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 11:59:14 PM »
>Take note of those other jobs, too. Never know when we might be in Easthaven or out in the woods.

>You make a mental note of the specifics of the other job postings. You have a pretty good memory for such details, so you don't think you'll have a problem recalling the addresses when you need them.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 12:06:34 AM »
> Bid Lunasa adieu and good luck with the concert.
> If we have no other business to attend to, head outside.

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 12:24:02 AM »
> Bid Lunasa adieu and good luck with the concert.
> If we have no other business to attend to, head outside.

>You say goodbye to Lunasa and wish her luck with the concert. "Thank you," she replies, nodding, "and happy hunting to you as well."
>Deciding there's nothing else here that you need to attend to at the moment, you head back towards the entrance.
>As you near the front doors, they suddenly fly wide and a blond-haired fairy in a white dress all but barrels through them, her arms wide
>"Delivery!" she announces brightly, beaming at you.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 12:37:06 AM »
> "Wait wha-"
> Side step if she looks like she's gonna run into us.
> Do we know this faerie?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 12:38:20 AM »
>Once we've recovered: "Um, who for?"

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 12:48:03 AM »
> "Wait wha-"
> Side step if she looks like she's gonna run into us.
> Do we know this faerie?

>You sputter a little in surprise.
>She appears to have pulled back her momentum before colliding with you, and now looks up at you expectantly.
>This would be Lily White. The enthusiasm would be unmistakable even if you were in the other room. She does courier work around town, and sometimes the rest of the island. You swear you can sometimes hear her route a block away.

>Once we've recovered: "Um, who for?"

>"The guild!" she replies, producing a brown envelope from her pocket, and holding it out towards you with both hands.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 12:55:02 AM »
>Accept it.
>"Okay, I'll pass it on for you."

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 01:09:24 AM »
>Accept it.
>"Okay, I'll pass it on for you."

>You accept the envelope from Lily.
>"Okay!" she beams, then turns and flutters back out the way she came, humming to herself.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 01:13:29 AM »
>Who are letters to the guild supposed to go to? Is there a particular address on it? Or is this the way that new job postings are usually put up?
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 01:15:03 AM »
>Shake our head in bemusement, then examine the envelope for an indication as to who sent it.

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2011, 01:27:21 AM »
>Who are letters to the guild supposed to go to? Is there a particular address on it? Or is this the way that new job postings are usually put up?

>Correspondence to the guild generally goes through whoever's on administrative duty at the moment; that would be Sashiko, currently. Senior apprentices tend to get cycled through it - you've done your share of it, too - although some people take to the work better than others. Given how often Sashiko seems to be on duty, you think she must have a knack for juggling the paperwork.
>Many job requests are made in person, although some are also made via mail.

>Shake our head in bemusement, then examine the envelope for an indication as to who sent it.

>It is a plain brown envelop, addressed to the guild. You can see no return address written on it.
>"Can't help but smile every time she does that," Sashiko says, with a slight chuckle. "So what've we got?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2011, 01:42:25 AM »
>Open it up and have a look at the contents with Sashiko.

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2011, 01:43:03 AM »
>"Made me forget my headache for a sec, too. That girl's somethin' else."
>Show the envelop to Sashiko.
>"Not sure yet. Let's have a look, shall we?"

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2011, 02:03:49 AM »
>"Made me forget my headache for a sec, too. That girl's somethin' else."
>Show the envelop to Sashiko.
>"Not sure yet. Let's have a look, shall we?"

>Sashiko chuckles a little. "If only the rest of us could find that kind of job satisfaction, eh?"
>You show the envelop to Sashiko, who leans over and takes a look at it.

>Open it up and have a look at the contents with Sashiko.

>You open the envelope and put the contents where both you and Sashiko can see them. There seems to be several separate pieces of correspondence: a bill for some food supplies recently shipped in,  a confirmation of completion from a client - evidently something to do with fairy-proofing a watermelon patch, and a few other logistical documents.
>"All from Easthaven, then," Sashiko says, glancing over them. She takes a couple aside, and you see her pencil something in on a ledger next to her.
>The last letter catches your eye, however. It is a contract request dealing with disappearing livestock; not especially noteworthy in and of itself, but you're pretty sure you recognize the handwriting.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2011, 02:13:39 AM »
>Look for an address on that last one, and see if it matches our suspicions.
>Where is Easthaven in relation to this place?

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 02:29:29 AM »
>Look for an address on that last one, and see if it matches our suspicions.
>Where is Easthaven in relation to this place?

>The letter is simply addressed on behalf of the community of Easthaven as a whole, although the contact information provided is for Ichirin's orphanage. It is indeed her handwriting that you thought it looked like. She isn't usually involved in agricultural matters; you wonder why she was the one who made the petition.
>Easthaven is, fittingly enough, on the eastern edge of the island, the best part of a day's journey from Braston. It is primarily a farming community, although an exceptionally bountiful one. Apparently the soil in the region is especially fertile and the climate temperate, with a long growing season. Of course, you imagine that the presence of a harvest deity in the town is more than incidental to that, as unassuming as she may be.

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2011, 03:41:06 AM »
>Ichirin knows we came here, right?
>"That job... I think I know the one who sent it."

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2011, 03:48:04 AM »
>Ichirin knows we came here, right?
>"That job... I think I know the one who sent it."

>Of course. She was quite supportive of your desire to join the Seekers.
>"Oh, huh." Sashiko takes a glance over the letter. "Yeah, you're from out that way yourself, aren't you? Who's it from?"

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011, 04:14:35 AM »
>"Ichirin Kumoi. She runs an orphanage. I used to live there."
>If Ichirin wanted us specifically, would she just have sent this? Wouldn't she include at least a letter to us, even if the job itself was for general posting?"

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 04:23:54 AM »
>"Ichirin Kumoi. She runs an orphanage. I used to live there."
>If Ichirin wanted us specifically, would she just have sent this? Wouldn't she include at least a letter to us, even if the job itself was for general posting?"

>"Oh yeah, yeah," Sashiko says, nodding. "Think I heard Orange mention her." She pauses for a moment, then grins conspiratorially. "Want dibs?"
>You're not sure she was looking for you specifically, although you're quite certainly she'd be pleased to see you be the one to look into it. To be perfectly honest, you hadn't actually told her that you were up for official induction this season... though it wouldn't surprise you if she heard it from Orange; she keeps in touch with her much more often than you do.

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 04:26:28 AM »
>"I think I will take it, actually. She'll be happy to see me, and I think I'd like to see her, too. I don't see any reason not to put the job on the board, though."

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 04:32:37 AM »
>Keep our voice a bit low.
>"Yeah, I think I do. Gotta start somewhere, seems like a good place. Just gimme a couple days before you stick it up for the rest of the guild, okay?"

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 04:41:40 AM »
>Keep our voice a bit low.
>"Yeah, I think I do. Gotta start somewhere, seems like a good place. Just gimme a couple days before you stick it up for the rest of the guild, okay?"

>"Sure thing," Sashiko says, smirking. She scribbles another few notes on a ledger, then takes the receipt and the job request and slips them together into the folder for financial records. "It's really disgraceful how careless the new recruits are this year are, don't you think? Forever filing things in the wrong places."

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 05:15:55 AM »
>Offer a grin.
>"Yeah.... Kids these days."
>Adjust our assessment of Sashiko from 'efficient' to 'efficient and ever-so slightly shifty.'
>Consider what means we have of traveling to Easthaven, assuming we have any other than our two feet.

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 05:30:29 AM »
>Offer a grin.
>"Yeah.... Kids these days."
>Adjust our assessment of Sashiko from 'efficient' to 'efficient and ever-so slightly shifty.'
>Consider what means we have of traveling to Easthaven, assuming we have any other than our two feet.

>You grin at Sashiko
>"Shameful, isn't it?" she says.
>The latter assessment would definitely put her in good company at this place.
>Walking is the most obvious way. You could possibly hitch a ride in a wagon if you tried to - goods do move between the two locations often enough - but that's not likely to be much faster, and stamina shouldn't really be an issue for you. You could also, in theory, catch one of the smaller ships that skim the island's edge from time to time, often between other points in the Outer Freelands, but that would cost more than you could afford at the moment.