Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)  (Read 47320 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)
« Reply #690 on: July 03, 2012, 01:11:09 AM »
>Follow the pirate.
>Or take the lead, if she indicates. We're easy either way.

>You follow Ren as she turns and leads you towards the rear of the hold. You take a glance at her back. Not only is your kunai no longer embedded in it, but the area it once occupied has been bandaged; you can only guess at what become of the weapon itself.
>It doesn't take long to spot the numerous signs that battle visited this part of the ship as well. Several crates bear the splintered marks of heavy impacts against them and at least one has been smashed open entirely, scattering a sea of kiwis across the ground; several of them have been crushed under heavy boots and a smear of green along the floor suggests someone may even have slipped on one. Parts of the tarp and rope securing some of the cargo stacks has been slashed, and you can also see a few scattered arrows embedded in the floor or other wooden surfaces - one of them even appears to be pinning some sort of paper talisman to the wall - but there is only a small amount of blood; you suppose this battle may have taken a smaller toll on its participants than the one upstairs.

>"We've secured the crew in one of the unused adjoining rooms," Ren says as she heads towards one of the doors at the back. A pair of tengu are flanking it, looking at least a little the worse for wear, you note - one has a very nasty bruise on her jaw and the other has a blade-sized hole in her outfit, near the shoulder, through which a faintly bloodstained bandage can be seen. Ren exchanges acknowledgements with them and one opens the door for her.
>Stepping inside, you find that the room really does look as though it was entirely unused and is nearly bare, though the way the space is partitioned makes you think it was originally intended for the transport of livestock. Several crew members - the rest of them, presumably - are gathered in an open space here. Their hands and legs are bound with rope, but they're seated about as comfortably as could be expected given their condition. A few looks of unmistakeable contempt are thrown in Ren's direction as she enters, though others look towards you with uncertainty. They don't actually look in very bad shape, to be honest; maybe you and Chisato really did end up bearing the lion's share of it?

« Reply #691 on: July 03, 2012, 01:19:13 AM »
>Ren mentioned one with a broken arm. Scan the crowd for that one, as well as any others than bear prominant bandaging and such.

« Reply #692 on: July 03, 2012, 01:44:13 AM »
>Ren mentioned one with a broken arm. Scan the crowd for that one, as well as any others than bear prominant bandaging and such.

>It only takes a moment to spot the crew member with the broken arm. Or, at least you assume the one with their arm in a sling is said crew member. It seems to be well-constructed, at least as much as you can tell from this distance. Aside from that, you see one woman with a bandage around part of her forehead and another with one around their hand. Of course, it's possible others have injuries in less visible places.

« Reply #693 on: July 03, 2012, 02:22:09 AM »
>After seeing Chisato and Miyuki, this really doesn't come as much surprise.
>Presumably, we don't smell too much blood either, do we?

« Reply #694 on: July 03, 2012, 02:30:47 AM »
>After seeing Chisato and Miyuki, this really doesn't come as much surprise.
>Presumably, we don't smell too much blood either, do we?

>You smell a little, of course, but not a large amount - nothing to indicate a serious concealed wound, at any rate.

« Reply #695 on: July 03, 2012, 02:49:28 AM »
>Let out a small breath. Present circumstances notwithstanding, it is still good to see that many good guys in one piece.

« Reply #696 on: July 03, 2012, 03:02:13 AM »
>Let out a small breath. Present circumstances notwithstanding, it is still good to see that many good guys in one piece.

>You let out a small breath. Really, after getting your vessel taken over by a gang of pirates, things could be much worse....

« Reply #697 on: July 03, 2012, 03:21:41 AM »
>Well, knowing her people are in one piece might back Murasa feel at least a little less crappy. Maybe.
>"I saw some of my shipmates above, so, I can't say I'm entirely surprised by what I see here, Ren. But it's still good to see with my own eyes."

« Reply #698 on: July 03, 2012, 03:29:26 AM »
>Well, knowing her people are in one piece might back Murasa feel at least a little less crappy. Maybe.
>"I saw some of my shipmates above, so, I can't say I'm entirely surprised by what I see here, Ren. But it's still good to see with my own eyes."

>It's possible. Certainly better than the alternative, anyway.
>"As I said from the beginning, we have no desire to inflict injury. It is unfortunate that it even came to this."

« Reply #699 on: July 03, 2012, 03:37:41 AM »
>"You mean BODILY injury, of course. If you didn't want to injure anyone at all, you wouldn't even be here."
>There we go again, wasting breath on one of these pirates.
>"But that to one side, I only came down to check on my shipmates, not have another pointless debate. Had enough of those for one day. So, I suppose I should thank you for letting me."

« Reply #700 on: July 03, 2012, 03:47:06 AM »
>"You mean BODILY injury, of course. If you didn't want to injure anyone at all, you wouldn't even be here."
>There we go again, wasting breath on one of these pirates.

>Ren maintains her serious, and somehow almost disappointed expression as you point out another omission in their reasoning. Then you decide you're wasting your time to even broach the topic again. You drop it just as quickly.

>"But that to one side, I only came down to check on my shipmates, not have another pointless debate. Had enough of those for one day. So, I suppose I should thank you for letting me."

>"That's not necessary," she replies. "This is merely a security precaution. If you would like to examine their injuries more closely, you may, of course."

« Reply #701 on: July 03, 2012, 04:02:58 AM »
>"Security?"
>Look over them once again, make sure we didn't miss anything.

« Reply #702 on: July 03, 2012, 04:22:54 AM »
>"Security?"
>Look over them once again, make sure we didn't miss anything.

>"Keeping them here," I mean. "I would allow more freedom of movement if I felt they wouldn't use it to harm us."
>You take another look over the assembled crew. They're far enough away that they've probably only heard fragments of your conversation, but it's clear that more than a couple are unsure of what you're doing here, and unsure of whether or not they should like it. You don't see anything else of note; they're a mixture of tired, angry, confused, and perhaps a little scared. All about exactly what you would expect.

>"What's going on?" one of them finally asks. "Is the captain alright?"

« Reply #703 on: July 03, 2012, 04:29:07 AM »
>Well, our jailor DID give us permission...
>Approach the woman. "The captain's fine. She's in a lousy mood, much as anyone would be having to hear Aya talk, on top of everything else, but she's not hurt. Matter of fact, I'm here on her behalf. Least I could do was check on her crew for her, take back some good news. Make sure everyone that was hurt was looked after, like they said."

« Reply #704 on: July 03, 2012, 05:09:52 AM »
>Well, our jailor DID give us permission...
>Approach the woman. "The captain's fine. She's in a lousy mood, much as anyone would be having to hear Aya talk, on top of everything else, but she's not hurt. Matter of fact, I'm here on her behalf. Least I could do was check on her crew for her, take back some good news. Make sure everyone that was hurt was looked after, like they said."

>You approach the sailor and explain the current situation. She looks at least a little relieved by your words. Others still appear a little suspicious, or perhaps wary of Ren's presence.
>"They haven't hurt us since they brought us here," the vocal one says. "And they said they'd give first aid to anyone with injuries."
>"Fine thing for them to care so much after being the one what caused them!" another angrily snaps. There are some mumbles of agreement.
>"So, I guess the captain got beat, too, then?" one asks, though the tone makes it barely a question.

« Reply #705 on: July 03, 2012, 05:33:49 AM »
>Offer a slow nod in the direction of the one that asked the question, but there's no need to reply to the angry one. Not only is there nothing we can really do to calm them, she's right, too.
>"I noticed one of us had her arm set. Is that the worst of the injuries down here?"

« Reply #706 on: July 03, 2012, 05:43:58 AM »
>Offer a slow nod in the direction of the one that asked the question, but there's no need to reply to the angry one. Not only is there nothing we can really do to calm them, she's right, too.
>"I noticed one of us had her arm set. Is that the worst of the injuries down here?"

>You confirm Murasa's defeat with a slow nod and get a quiet frown in reply; though you think that answer was expected, that doesn't mean it was nice to hear.
>"Yeah, I think so," one of them says. "I sprained my shoulder pretty bad, but I don't think anyone else broke anything." There is a chorus of nods and quiet agreement.

« Reply #707 on: July 03, 2012, 05:55:19 AM »
>"Well, we'll call that a bit of good news. Murasa'll be happy to hear that.... Well, maybe not HAPPY, that'll come once that bunch out there is gone. But still, good news is good news."

« Reply #708 on: July 03, 2012, 05:56:47 AM »
>"Well, we'll call that a bit of good news. Murasa'll be happy to hear that.... Well, maybe not HAPPY, that'll come once that bunch out there is gone. But still, good news is good news."

>"Could be worse," someone says in a dull tone.

« Reply #709 on: July 03, 2012, 06:18:44 AM »
>Seems like we've been telling ourselves that ever since voicebox put a crossbow to our neck.
>"Sure could."
>"Well, I suppose that's my mission accomplished. I've gotta get back up on deck, report to the captain."
>Assuming we are not stopped by any of the good guys, leave the room.

« Reply #710 on: July 03, 2012, 06:27:42 AM »
>Seems like we've been telling ourselves that ever since voicebox put a crossbow to our neck.
>"Sure could."
>"Well, I suppose that's my mission accomplished. I've gotta get back up on deck, report to the captain."
>Assuming we are not stopped by any of the good guys, leave the room.

>It does seem to be a recurring theme....
>You tell the group that you need to head back and deliver your report.
>"Tell her we're ready for round two any time!" one of them shouts as you move to leave. The defiant tone makes you suspect it was meant as much for Ren's ears as your own, though the tengu does not seem to visibly react to it. The two of you exit the room and Ren closes the door behind you.

>"Well, is there anything else I can assist you with?" she asks.

« Reply #711 on: July 03, 2012, 06:32:07 AM »
>"Actually, yes. There is one thing I've been wondering for a while."
>"Your buddy back there had a point; it is damn strange for one of your enemies to be wandering around armed while you're pillaging your victims place. And yet, Aya let me."
>"Why?"

« Reply #712 on: July 03, 2012, 07:10:32 AM »
>"Actually, yes. There is one thing I've been wondering for a while."
>"Your buddy back there had a point; it is damn strange for one of your enemies to be wandering around armed while you're pillaging your victims place. And yet, Aya let me."
>"Why?"

>Ren gives you a curious look. "Did you not yourself claim what would happen if you were deprived of that sword?"

« Reply #713 on: July 03, 2012, 07:22:12 AM »
>"And I meant it, too. And if nothing else, I am genuinely grateful to you that you let me. I may not like this situation much, but I think we can both agree, it feels better than having my guts liquify."
>"But that doesn't change the fact that I'm still an armed enemy of yours. And your captain let me wander this ship regardless. She could easily have said no, have had me bound again. So could you, for that matter, the minute you laid eyes on me down here."

« Reply #714 on: July 03, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »
>"And I meant it, too. And if nothing else, I am genuinely grateful to you that you let me. I may not like this situation much, but I think we can both agree, it feels better than having my guts liquify."
>"But that doesn't change the fact that I'm still an armed enemy of yours. And your captain let me wander this ship regardless. She could easily have said no, have had me bound again. So could you, for that matter, the minute you laid eyes on me down here."

>Ren lets out a sort of half-sigh. "And what would that have accomplished, exactly? I might as well ask why you didn't draw that sword the moment you laid eyes on me." She pauses a moment and resumes her stoic countenance. "Evidently Aya feels she can trust you, or wishes to see if she can. Consider it a gesture of good faith, if you will. Though you may find it hard to believe, she does not wish to be your enemy. I'm sure she would rather spend an evening with your captain over drinks than at the point of a sword. Or you as well."

« Reply #715 on: July 03, 2012, 08:00:48 AM »
>"I find it impossible to believe. Because if that were true, none of us would be here, would we."
>"You might want to tell her that, next time you see her. She might be better received if she wasn't a thief and a pirate. And then you wouldn't have to stand here, defending her to her victims while you oversee her theivings. You say she doesn't want to be our enemies? Then maybe you should convince her NOT to be our enemy, or the enemy of anyone else whose path she crosses."
>Pause, size up this pirate, then give her a curious look of our own. "Although... I'd almost believe you've tried before."

« Reply #716 on: July 03, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »
>"I find it impossible to believe. Because if that were true, none of us would be here, would we."
>"You might want to tell her that, next time you see her. She might be better received if she wasn't a thief and a pirate. And then you wouldn't have to stand here, defending her to her victims while you oversee her theivings. You say she doesn't want to be our enemies? Then maybe you should convince her NOT to be our enemy, or the enemy of anyone else whose path she crosses."
>Pause, size up this pirate, then give her a curious look of our own. "Although... I'd almost believe you've tried before."

>Ren lets little sign of reaction disturb her practiced neutrality, but even she is not completely stoic. The tells are subtle, but if you had to guess, you'd actually say she felt a little hurt by that.
>"We sometimes have... differences of opinion," she says with a twinge of uncomfortableness, "but I owe her more than I can adequately express. Many of us do. She is not the person you think she is or I would not be here now. I will say only that this assault was without malice. You are free to disbelieve this if you wish. Beyond that, I fear I can change nothing."

« Reply #717 on: July 03, 2012, 08:49:53 AM »
>"Nor do I think there's anything I can say to change what's happening here. So why don't we just leave it at that."
>"If you'll excuse me, Murasa'll want to hear my report."

« Reply #718 on: July 03, 2012, 08:56:45 PM »
>"Nor do I think there's anything I can say to change what's happening here. So why don't we just leave it at that."
>"If you'll excuse me, Murasa'll want to hear my report."

>"Very well," Ren says with a slow nod.

« Reply #719 on: July 04, 2012, 01:51:50 AM »
>Back up on deck, then. Maybe we'll get lucky, and Aya will have talked herself out some.