Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)  (Read 46982 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2012, 04:02:21 AM »
Called it.

>What are our chances of surviving getting our neck cut?

« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2012, 04:07:01 AM »
>What are our chances of surviving getting our neck cut?

>That would depend greatly on how serious it was. You aren't going to die from bleeding out like a human would, but a serious gash there could still put you out of commission for a nice while. And if it was much more serious than that, well... you really don't want to test how firmly your head needs to be attached to your shoulders for it to heal back up again. That being said, whatever is pressing against you feel more like a stabbing than a cutting weapon.

« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2012, 04:09:38 AM »
What do you think, Kilga? I REALLY don't want it to end like this.
Or any of your other folks?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:16:45 AM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2012, 06:37:06 AM »
All right, I've given the matter some thought. And we're in a 'gun to our head' situation. In the event we warn our friends, we will almost certainly get ourselves injured, probably greviously. And then the humans will come up in attack mode, and they'll get hurt, too, or even die. And I don't think that's a risk we want to take.
On a personal note, it turns my stomach to let the humans walk into this trap, but if that tengu before was telling the truth, and these pirates really aren't here to kill us, then maybe they'll be safe. It's not much, but it's better than no hope at all.

>Pray that that tengu was telling the truth.
>Continue to obey the pirate with the gun blade.

« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2012, 07:22:25 AM »
>Pray that that tengu was telling the truth.
>Continue to obey the pirate with the gun blade.

>You pray that the pirates will somehow stay true to their word and resign yourself to doing what you're told. Cursing inwardly at the helplessness of the situation and the knowledge that the humans you fought and bled with are walking into a trap, you follow your assailant's instructions and the weapon pressed against your neck, and step casually around the side of the deckhouse.
>There are several tengu gathered here, well-concealed from the entrance to the stairway. And one kappa.
>Ishi looks dazed and nearly unconscious, and there is a thick cloth wrapped around her mouth, but she seems otherwise uninjured. She is slumped against the deckhouse with her hands behind her; they may be bound, but you can't tell from this angle. A tall tengu with a cross-bladed spear looms beside her, keeping a level eye on the incapacitated mechanic. Near her is another new pirate, idly flipping a sword of design similar to your own. She throws you a look that manages to mingle cocksure triumph with a predatory sneer. Neither of them show signs of having been in combat.
>And in front of them is the tengu you had been chasing moments before, your weapons still firmly in her flesh. She regards you with a dour expression that is quite dissimilar to her peers, then steps forward and holds out her hand towards you. There is no sign of Fuuka or Kazuha.

« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2012, 07:29:14 AM »
>Look at her hand, then back up at her.

« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2012, 07:32:16 AM »
>Look at her hand, then back up at her.

>You look at her empty hand, then back up at her. Her frown deepens slightly and she gestures for your weapons.
>Chisato sounds to be nearly at the top of the stairs now, her pace slowed from mostly carrying Miyuki.

« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2012, 07:34:24 AM »
>Drop the knife and saber. If the thief wants them, let her pick them up.

« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2012, 07:59:39 AM »
>Drop the knife and saber. If the thief wants them, let her pick them up.

>You release your grip on the two weapons, letting them clatter heavily to the ground. The tengu throws a stern look above and behind you at the noisy impact, then makes a quick hand gesture to the taller tengu, who then approaches and shifts around to your back. You feel the point of her spear press against you, and then the weapon at your neck is released. The tengu in front of you steps forward and bends down to pick up the weapons without taking her eyes off yours, or her hand off her sword.
>"Cap'n?" you hear Chisato ask as she crests the last of the steps. "Hey, where's ev-" There is a brief pause. "Fucking hell!"
>Ishi stirs a little, and then her eyes flare open so wide that they almost seem to grow. She starts to scrabble to her feet when the third tengu leans over and backhands her in forehead, knocking the rear of her skull hard against the deckhouse. The kappa's eyes go woozy again.

« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2012, 08:03:54 AM »
>Say nothing. Don't give them any satisfaction at beating us.

« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2012, 08:25:18 AM »
>Say nothing. Don't give them any satisfaction at beating us.

>You keep your silence; you're not about to give them so much as a hint of anything to feel smug about right now.
>You hear the same voice that whispered quietly to you speak likewise to Chisato; it's extremely faint even for you at this distance and angle, but you can still narrowly make out her words when you focus.
>"Are there any others with you now?" she asks.
>"Two dozen on the way up," Chisato snaps angrily, "and they're gonna rip your wings off if you lay a hand on either of us."
>The voice chuckles softly. "That would be no, then." She assumes a normal volume. "Okay, get up here, and no sudden moves or I will shoot." Her voice has an odd dull quality to it - not merely serious, but somehow leeched of emotional color.

>The tengu gathers up your knife and sword and moves them aside, then moves closer and reaches into your pouch to withdraw the other kunai kept there. Then, still holding her sword between the two of you, reaches down to remove Kumokirimaru from your waist.

« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2012, 08:36:07 AM »
>Place our hand on the hilt of the katana.
>"You REALLY don't want to do that."

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »
>Place our hand on the hilt of the katana.
>"You REALLY don't want to do that."

>"I'm not certain you're in a position to be making threats," the tengu says, her eyes narrowing slightly. You feel the spear at your back prod deeper.
>"And I'm certain you're not," the shorter of the two new tengu says, chuckling wryly at their own joke.

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2012, 09:17:02 AM »
Well, Kilga, you wanted to threaten them with the blight. It seems you're about to get the chance.

>"You don't think I know a bad scene when I see one? I'm surrounded, unarmed except for a sheathed sword, and wounded. I know I wouldn't last more than a minute in a fight against you lot. But nobody on this ship will last more than a day if I let this sword out of my possession, pirate or otherwise. This sword is the only thing keeping us all alive, and safe from my disease."
>Are any of our blight patches exposed right now?

« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
>"You don't think I know a bad scene when I see one? I'm surrounded, unarmed except for a sheathed sword, and wounded. I know I wouldn't last more than a minute in a fight against you lot. But nobody on this ship will last more than a day if I let this sword out of my possession, pirate or otherwise. This sword is the only thing keeping us all alive, and safe from my disease."

>The shorter tengu scoffs and flips her blade around again. The one in front of you regards you gravely, holding your eyes in a penetrating stare for a few moments, then glancing down to regard your weapon.
>"You don't seem ill," she says simply, but her tone is serious. The other tengu snickers again.

>Are any of our blight patches exposed right now?

>They are not; for all your myriad injuries, your clothing has managed to mostly maintain its integrity. Though this makes the second outfit you've totaled in as many weeks. At this rate you're going to end up in rags before the Blight has a chance to kill you.

« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »
>"And that's because I still have this sword. Why do you think I didn't draw it during our little spat below? I didn't want to risk one of you pirates knocking it out of my hands. If one of you had, we'd probably all be puking black blood by now."
>Pause for a moment, and look thoughful. "I'm not sure how it would affect tengu; maybe the feathers would start melting off your wings before your guts started melting."

« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »
>"And that's because I still have this sword. Why do you think I didn't draw it during our little spat below? I didn't want to risk one of you pirates knocking it out of my hands. If one of you had, we'd probably all be puking black blood by now."
>Pause for a moment, and look thoughful. "I'm not sure how it would affect tengu; maybe the feathers would start melting off your wings before your guts started melting."

>"Yeah, right," the shorter tengu says. "And here I thought Seekers were supposed to be good liars."
>The tengu in front of you gives you a stern look, though it does not seem to be an angry one; in fact, her expression is a little hard to read. "This is both a far-fetched and suspiciously convenient story, you realize?"

>"I didn't say stop," you hear the mystery voice speak.
>"Bite me," Chisato snaps back.
>"Sorry, already had lunch. Now move."

« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »
>"You don't need to tell me how odd it sounds. It's my disease, my story. My death sentance. That's why I was traveling to the big city, to find a cure. If there is one."
>Look at the lead tengu, let her see the sincerity in our eyes. "Look, you kept trying to get us to stop fighting. And I heard you order your troops out of that fight. I'm willing to believe you don't want to see anyone here die. That's all that will happen if you take that sword away from me, what the ugly black patches on my skin mean. We ALL die, painfully. Human, youkai, tengu, kappa, it doesn't matter, we're all dead."
>Pause a moment to let that sink in. "I don't want my friends to die. Can you say the same?"

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »
>"That's why I was traveling to the big city, to find a cure. If there is one."

> Don't say this part. No need to give them any ideas on how to cure it.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »
Doubleposting is townie.

At this point, since there doesn't appear to be a coherent Blue Maiden crewwoman in the room, if they don't believe us again I'd just tell them to roll up our right sleeve.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2012, 10:39:44 PM »
>"You don't need to tell me how odd it sounds. It's my disease, my story. My death sentance."
>Look at the lead tengu, let her see the sincerity in our eyes. "Look, you kept trying to get us to stop fighting. And I heard you order your troops out of that fight. I'm willing to believe you don't want to see anyone here die. That's all that will happen if you take that sword away from me, what the ugly black patches on my skin mean. We ALL die, painfully. Human, youkai, tengu, kappa, it doesn't matter, we're all dead."
>Pause a moment to let that sink in. "I don't want my friends to die. Can you say the same?"

>The tengu before you regards you gravely as you elaborate, barely seeming to blink. She seems neither frightened by your claim nor dismissive of it, and any hint of doubt she harbors is well-masked beneath professional stoicism. Her blade-flipping companion, on the other hand, is snickering openly before you even finish your speech.
>"This is great stuff," she says. "Should've gone into theatre."
>"With all due respect, Ren," the tengu behind you says in a voice commesurate with her statue, "can we really afford to waste time on this before the ship is secured?"
>"Nah, this is way too much fun," the snickering tengu says. "C'mon mouse, what else you got?"
>"I would thank you to be quiet," the lead tengu firmly, with more than a hint of ice in her voice. The other subdues her mirth just enough to pass for compliance. "And you're right," she continues with weary sigh. "We shouldn't prolong this." She takes another look at your face, then speaks with a note of resignation. "Bind her hands, arms, and tail. Make sure they're double-secured. She can keep the sword until Aya decides what to do with it."

>"What?!" The sarcrastic amusement on the shorter tengu's face is replaced almost immediately with genuine outrage. She takes an aggressive step towards you. "What kinda bullshit is this? First you go and get your squad chopped up and now you're playing nice? I say we-"
>The one in front of you rounds on her. "That's quite enough! I'm not interested in your opinion and this isn't up for discussion. If you can't restrain yourself, you can leave. And if you don't back off immediately," she adds in a more dangerous tone, "I'll remind you that an open invitation can be revoked just as easily as any other. You would not be the first."
>The shorter tengu falters slightly, traces of hesitation diluting her fervor.
>"Sorry, Ren. I'm just a dumb thug who's lucky you went first and saved me having to stuff my own organs back inside me." Though the voice belongs to the insubordinate tengu, its source is from the other direction entirely. "I should probably just stick this sword up my butt and go jump off into the abyss, where I'll actually be useful to someone. Why, I think I'll go do that right now! Bye-bye!"
>The true owner of the voice bristles in silent fury.

>You hear Chisato and Miyuki led around the corner. "What? Where's the jumping?" their captor asks in what you assume is her own voice again. "Not going to disappoint us, now are you?
>The tengu in front of you lets out a sigh, and the other's face twists with a turbulent blend of hot shame and bitter resentment. She takes a step away and sheathes her sword.
>"You heard Ren," the copycat says. "Get to it."
>Throwing you a dark look, the shorter tengu picks up a coil of rope from the side of the deckhouse and moves around behind you.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:41:10 AM by DracoOmega »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2012, 10:43:19 PM »
> Does this mean we're in Chisato/Miyuki view yet?

« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2012, 10:44:34 PM »
> Does this mean we're in Chisato/Miyuki view yet?

>You expect you're in their view, although you couldn't see them yourself unless you tried to turn around.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2012, 10:46:51 PM »
Great. I was hoping to do this without them around, but this is going to get out and around one way or another.

> "Wait. You want proof, I have proof. Roll up my right sleeve."

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2012, 11:03:14 PM »
> "Wait. You want proof, I have proof. Roll up my right sleeve."

>Ren gives you another appraising look, then steps forward and pulls your right sleeve up far enough to expose the lower tendrils of the blighted mark there. Her already-etched frown deepens and she rolls it up the rest of the way, fully revealing the nexus of blackened veins on your arm.
>"And you say this is the sign of some disease?" she asks.
>You feel one of the tengu behind you roughly start to remove your pack, pulling on your exposed arm in the process.

>"Okay you two," the impersonator says, "drop your weapons. You can gawk later."
>You hear something flat and metallic drop against the deck, though there is a distinct lack of any sound that could match Chisato's weapon.
>"That's an order, sailor," their captor adds in Murasa's voice.
>"Go to hell and stay there!" Chisato spits. You hear her pole slam fiercely against the deck. "Polly."
>"...dun want any crackers..." Ishi slurs woozily.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »
> "You can have your medic look at it, if you like. I assume you have a medic, at least, after what your lot went through below deck. You can also check my left leg, or various parts of my torso."

« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2012, 11:14:37 PM »
> "You can have your medic look at it, if you like. I assume you have a medic, at least, after what your lot went through below deck. You can also check my left leg, or various parts of my torso."

>Ren pulls up the left side of your skirt just enough to reveal the patch above your knee, then lets it drop again.
>"Whether you're telling the truth or not," she says, "I'm not prepared to gamble with others' lives. Call it a victory, if you will, though I suggest you not let yourself feel too triumphant; you won't be getting free enough to use that weapon."
>The tengu behind you finishes divesting you of your pack, then grabs your hands and starts wrapping rope tightly around them.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2012, 11:18:32 PM »
> "I don't plan on fighting. I don't need to, really. Your lot spilling my blood all over the place is all the fighting I need to do."

« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2012, 11:25:03 PM »
> "I don't plan on fighting. I don't need to, really. Your lot spilling my blood all over the place is all the fighting I need to do."

>"And what exactly is that supposed to mean?" Ren asks with a stern look on her face.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2012, 11:32:41 PM »
 > "Think about it. The blade slows the disease down, sure. But once my blood starts leaving my body, I imagine the disease starts behaving like any other disease. Which means that all transmission bets are probably off."