Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 49318 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #630 on: October 14, 2011, 08:10:42 AM »
>"Honey, has Marisa taught you how to read?"

>"Hey!" she cries, sounding a little offended. "I can read just fine!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #631 on: October 14, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
>"Sorry. Most of the faeries I know never got the knack for it. How do you spell your name?"

« Reply #632 on: October 14, 2011, 09:32:44 PM »
>"Sorry. Most of the faeries I know never got the knack for it. How do you spell your name?"

>"H-o-n-e-y-s-u-" She frowns a little and starts to speak more slowly. "-k-l-d..." Her grimace deepens. "u-d-r-o.... p!"

« Reply #633 on: October 14, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »
I so missed this fairy.

>That ain't bad. And oh so cute! *massive glomp*
>"Well done." Best not try to as her to spell Exestentialism, she might go pop.
>"Okay, if Marisa comes home before I see her, it is really important you give this to her the minute you see her. And make absolutely sure she reads it. Okay?"

« Reply #634 on: October 14, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
>That ain't bad. And oh so cute! *massive glomp*
>"Well done." Best not try to as her to spell Exestentialism, she might go pop.
>"Okay, if Marisa comes home before I see her, it is really important you give this to her the minute you see her. And make absolutely sure she reads it. Okay?"

>Certainly could have been worse.
>"Yay!" You decide not to set her a harder challenge, though it would be interesting philosophical conundrum if thinking deeply about one's existence were to end it.
>She nods gravely. "I'll do it!"

« Reply #635 on: October 14, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »
>Hand her the note. And hope for the best.
>You were right, Ichirin. You were right about her.
>"It's good to see you again, Honey."

« Reply #636 on: October 14, 2011, 11:00:04 PM »
>Hand her the note. And hope for the best.
>You were right, Ichirin. You were right about her.
>"It's good to see you again, Honey."

>You hand Honey the note and hope for the best. She accepts it and nods dutifully.
>"I'm gonna be a super great sidekick some day," she says. "Just you watch!"

« Reply #637 on: October 14, 2011, 11:08:28 PM »
>"I know you will, Honey."
>You've got all the time in the world to do it, to...
>"Well, if Marisa's not here, then I should go. Still have other people to see now that I'm back in town."

So, Yuugi first, then the arch? I personally think we should go the other way round, given that the archaeologists may point us in the direction of a cure, and I'm not sure Yuugi can. Then again, I could be wrong that front. And of course, it's probably not the best idea to keep an oni waiting too long, either.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #638 on: October 14, 2011, 11:29:35 PM »
I think Yuugi could be helpful. Let's try to catch her before bedtime. Or rather, when she's too drunk to be standing.

« Reply #639 on: October 14, 2011, 11:43:01 PM »
>"I know you will, Honey."
>You've got all the time in the world to do it, to...
>"Well, if Marisa's not here, then I should go. Still have other people to see now that I'm back in town."

>"Yay! People have faith in me!"
>Certainly she isn't putting her life on the line by being a bad one...
>Honey nods. "I'll make sure she reads your message right away!"

« Reply #640 on: October 15, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
Hanzo suggested Yuugi first as well, so we'll try that and see what happens.

>Contemplate giving her a pat on the head, but she's probably protective of her hat, so simply smile at her. "I'm counting on ya, kid."
>Off to Yuugi's. Follow the booze trails.

« Reply #641 on: October 15, 2011, 01:13:46 AM »
>Contemplate giving her a pat on the head, but she's probably protective of her hat, so simply smile at her. "I'm counting on ya, kid."
>Off to Yuugi's. Follow the booze trails.

>Honey gives you another little cheer.
>You head northwest, towards the mining and industrial districts and what is colloquially considered oni territory. Honey waves to you as you leave, before heading back inside and locking the door again.
>The scents and sounds of the north end make themselves known to you long before you actually enter it properly. Sooty, unpleasant smells of smelting and refining drift upon the air, tinged with the sharp odor of molten metal. You can already hear boisterous carousing that will doubtlessly continue through the night without pause. Given the inhabitants of the district, it's nearly as easy to find an alehouse as a factory; such establishments seem to find a way of popping up in whatever cracks and alleyways are left between the industrial infrastructure that gives Braston its relevance on the world stage. Consequently, it's rather hard to get anywhere in the evening without passing by gatherings of drunken and often rowdy oni.
>The flow of traffic thins and takes on a distinctly different composition as you progress further north, humans going from ubiquitous to scarce. While humans and other youkai do work in these industries as well, much of it is dominated by the oni, whose aptitude for physical labor lets them excel at it. Moreover, what human workforce there is tends to keep to standard daylight shifts and leave the night to the oni entirely. There may be strictures against oni bringing their brawls to the rest of the city, but that's small comfort to anyone who lets themselves get caught in one while up here. You keep a brisk pace and a low profile and manage to make it to the Miner's Guild headquarters without being drawn into anything you'd rather not.
>The guild headquarters is a squat ugly building, but an expansive one; mining is the lifeblood of Braston, after all. Workshops and other such buildings press closely against it on nearly all sides and the smell of industry hangs heavy in the air. You wrinkle your nose a little. Just two buildings down the road, a small gang of mildly inebriated oni lounge around the open door of an establishment; warm light and loud conversation stream forth from it. The large double doors of the guild also stand open, and you can see oni moving about within.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #642 on: October 15, 2011, 01:24:29 AM »
May as well go on in eh?
>Enter through the doors, making sure to hit both as we go in.
>Find the nearest Oni, and let 'em have it...verbally. We've got a Big Boss to find, and time's of the essence!
>"So, the big cheese wanted to see me? Well, I'm here, where's she?"

That is, unless you guys got a better plan.
I'm going off the fact that we've not got much longer, so we're bound to be a bit brasher than normal.
Since if we're gonna go out, we may as well leave one heck of a lasting impression hm?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #643 on: October 15, 2011, 01:28:15 AM »
>Just walk in for now and take stock of the place.

« Reply #644 on: October 15, 2011, 01:29:54 AM »
But let's keep Hanzo's style in mind. It seems very ONI. :)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #645 on: October 15, 2011, 01:36:31 AM »
That's what I was goin' for. See, my thinkin' is that they'll be more likely to listen if we're a bit more oni-like in our approach to things.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #646 on: October 15, 2011, 02:00:19 AM »
>Just walk in for now and take stock of the place.

>You walk inside and look around. The doors enter onto a relatively large open area, its strictly functional stone walls hung with enough lanterns to give the place a dull ruddy glow. A pair of corridors extends off along the left wall, while another set of double doors is visible on the far side of the entry area, these ones closed. There are a few oni coming and going - one rounds the near corridor bruskly enough to almost collide with you though you manage to nimbly sidestep. There is a c-shaped wooden counter built across an alcove in this same wall. An auburn-haired oni with a pair of short horns and a sharp grin stands behind it, or rather slumps, leaning one elbow on the counter and facing towards a second, taller oni is leaning against the wall just outside the counter. They seems to be chatting. Then the pair of them burst into raucous laughter and the shorter one reaches for a clay sake jug on the counter and chugs a great gulp of it.

« Reply #647 on: October 15, 2011, 02:19:11 AM »
>Would we recognize Yuugi if we saw her? And if so, are either of those two her?

« Reply #648 on: October 15, 2011, 02:22:49 AM »
>Would we recognize Yuugi if we saw her? And if so, are either of those two her?

>Although you've never really interacted with her directly, you would know her to see her. You are quite certain neither of those oni are her.

« Reply #649 on: October 15, 2011, 02:29:31 AM »
Gonna try a slightly 'oni' approach meself here.

>"Yuugi Hoshiguma. She wanted to see me, and I wanted to see her. Where's she at?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #650 on: October 15, 2011, 02:34:47 AM »
Before this.
>Walk over to the bar and lean on it if we can.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #651 on: October 15, 2011, 02:45:27 AM »
>Walk over to the bar and lean on it if we can.
>"Yuugi Hoshiguma. She wanted to see me, and I wanted to see her. Where's she at?"

>Despite the presence of alcohol, it isn't so much a bar as a counter that someone happens to be drinking behind. But they're oni, so this is hardly a remarkable achievement. Nonetheless, you walk over and lean on it.
>The shorter one gives you a vaguely off-putting grin-slash-leer, then laughs and takes another swig of sake.
>"Do you now?" she says.

« Reply #652 on: October 15, 2011, 02:58:30 AM »
>"Yeah, I do. She asked to see me, and I didn't see the need to keep her waiting. I bet she doesn't like waiting any more than I do."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #653 on: October 15, 2011, 03:03:33 AM »
>Add with a deadly serious expression. "And waiting's something I can't do."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #654 on: October 15, 2011, 03:15:43 AM »
>"Yeah, I do. She asked to see me, and I didn't see the need to keep her waiting. I bet she doesn't like waiting any more than I do."
>Add with a deadly serious expression. "And waiting's something I can't do."

>The oni listens along with more or less amiable attentiveness, then snorts at your last remark.
>"What, you broken or something?" she asks, grinning toothily at you.
>"She just doesn't wanna have to listen to you all night," the other oni interjects in a deep voice.
>"Hey, I'm not keeping ya here," she snipes back, without taking her eyes or grin off you.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #655 on: October 15, 2011, 03:20:45 AM »
>"Well where is she then?"

>When she tells us, head off wherever she indicated, then stop momentarily a couple steps away.
And then say this without turning around.
>"As for the broken remark...Heh, you might be closer to that than you realize..."
>Then continue on, in a determined manner. Gotta keep strong.

Come on, it's just begging to be played like that.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:24:42 AM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #656 on: October 15, 2011, 03:24:00 AM »
Add after that,
>"'least for now."

Cuz we ain't goin' down without a damn good fight.

« Reply #657 on: October 15, 2011, 03:26:11 AM »
>"Well where is she then?"

>"Not here, anyway," the oni replies, that increasingly insufferable grin still on her face.

« Reply #658 on: October 15, 2011, 03:32:21 AM »
Not again....

>"What's she, gone on another dig, or something?"

« Reply #659 on: October 15, 2011, 03:34:17 AM »
>"What's she, gone on another dig, or something?"

>"Well, you're the Seeker," she chuckles. "Whaddaya need me to tell you?"