Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 49308 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #480 on: October 11, 2011, 02:54:05 AM »
>Once we put a little more distance between us and Easthaven, pull the horse to a stop for a moment, then lean back, close our eyes, and breathe deep a few times. Please don't let this be the last time we see that place. Maybe Braston is home, maybe our fame and fortune is elsewhere from that, our cure is more than likely, but Easthaven WAS our home. And the people there...
>"Keep them safe."
>Pull yourself together, Naz. Time to be sentimental once we fix ourselves. Give the reins a snap. "Come on, horse, we got miles to eat up."
>Keep an occasional eye for Cirno along the way. She wayliad us once, outside chance she'll be back.

>You continue onward for a while, then pause, lean back and close your eyes and just breathe in the enormity of all this. It's still so much... the danger facing your sleepy little birthplace and the doom etched in black lines beneath your skin. You offer your hopes up to the air.
>Then you gather yourself together again, give the reins a snap, and continue on your way. The horse gives a sharp nicker and breaks into a brisk trot. The trees scroll gently past as the miles blend together, and through it all, the steady clatter of the horse's hooves.
>You keep an eye out for Cirno as you approach the bridge, but find it once again unoccupied. Wherever she is, it seems she isn't harassing travelers this day.

>The hours pass slowly, despite you feeling certain you're making better time than on your last trip out. Your horse is eager and hearty and covers the road quickly, but the circumstances around this journey color your perception, painting each hour grey and protracted. You pause occasionally to let the horse rest, or have a drink, but you largely keep yourself to the road, and do your best to keep your mind there as well.
>Eventually you start to pass carts traveling in the opposite direction as farmers return from their days at market. It feels like there are fewer of them today than usual, but perhaps it's just a state of mind. The wilderness seems even emptier than usual, your isolation more total. The sound of the wagon's wheels blurs into an endless drone, as constant as the skies above. Soon enough, it is sunset. Despite everything, this manages to be a vivid and golden one, the waning sun shedding its warmth as if it were smiling down upon you. Before dusk has even fully settled upon the sky, you can see the lights and buildings of Braston spread across the distance. It seems a... strangely long time since you've seen them.

« Reply #481 on: October 11, 2011, 03:20:33 AM »
>Decent time.
>"Good riding, girl."
>Consider taking a moment to enjoy the sunset, then spur our horse on. Sooner we get to Rinno and Mari the better.
>To the guildhall! Post haste!

« Reply #482 on: October 11, 2011, 03:47:16 AM »
>Decent time.
>"Good riding, girl."
>Consider taking a moment to enjoy the sunset, then spur our horse on. Sooner we get to Rinno and Mari the better.
>To the guildhall! Post haste!

>It's definitely decent time.
>The horse makes a small natter of acknowledgment. She does seem a bit tired out now, though.
>You consider pausing a moment, but decide instead to head directly to the guildhall. Braston is still fairly lively by this time of evening, at the edge of sun and dark, and there are people and fairies moving about in the squares and lights lining the storefronts. It feels good to be back, though you waste no time on sentimentalizing and quickly cover the distance to your destination.
>The square outside the guildhall is relatively quieter, and the guildhall itself is dark in places, though you can see a few lights from within. This would be past its normal operating hours for most public dealings and apprentice duties, but there's usually a few people hanging around the premises and Rinnosuke is almost certainly about.

« Reply #483 on: October 11, 2011, 03:57:18 AM »
>Excellent. He be the man of the hour, after all.
>Hitch our ride, head on inside, and look about for Rino.

« Reply #484 on: October 11, 2011, 05:01:08 AM »
>Excellent. He be the man of the hour, after all.
>Hitch our ride, head on inside, and look about for Rino.

>You hitch the horse and head inside. The front desk is empty, as you would expect at this hour, and the area is darkened. The common room is also fairly close to empty, though a man reclining on one of the couches gives you a curt wave as you walk through it towards Rinnosuke's office. It's quieter here than usual for this time of day, though Seekers are a far from predictable bunch - forever off chasing after one thing or another. The wafting scent of tea, warm and vaguely herbal, suggest that at least someone else is around.
>Rinnosuke's door closed when you arrive there, and knocking fails to produce a response. With a shrug, you decide to go investigate the kitchen. Sure enough, you find him inside, pouring himself a mug of that tea you've been smelling. He looks up as you enter and tilts his head subtly toward you.
>"Good evening, Nazrin."

« Reply #485 on: October 11, 2011, 05:05:14 AM »
>"Evening, boss. Glad to see you still up and about."
>"Mind if I sit down? I got a lot to talk about."

« Reply #486 on: October 11, 2011, 05:34:11 AM »
>"Evening, boss. Glad to see you still up and about."
>"Mind if I sit down? I got a lot to talk about."

>He simply nods.
>"Of course," he says. "Would you like some tea? It's Hanashibaran Water lily."

« Reply #487 on: October 11, 2011, 05:38:14 AM »
>"Sure."
>Sit across from him.
>"How much have you heard about what's happening out in Easthaven?"

« Reply #488 on: October 11, 2011, 05:45:42 AM »
>"Sure."
>Sit across from him.
>"How much have you heard about what's happening out in Easthaven?"

>You take a seat at the table, while Rinnosuke takes a second mug from the cupboard and fills it for you, then places it in front of you. He sits down.
>"Little," he says, then takes a slow sip of tea. "Though am I correct in assuming the job you followed there was more serious than expected?"

« Reply #489 on: October 11, 2011, 05:58:47 AM »
>"That's... puttin' it kinda mildly."
>"First things first, though. Did you get a messaner with a rubbing from there today?"

« Reply #490 on: October 11, 2011, 06:03:19 AM »
>"That's... puttin' it kinda mildly."
>"First things first, though. Did you get a messaner with a rubbing from there today?"

>He nods. "I did. I'm afraid I didn't recognize the style of writing."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #491 on: October 11, 2011, 06:06:32 AM »
>"Oh son of a bitch!"
>Take a deep breath. Sigh.
>"I'll give you the short version. I met a wild youkai there, she inflicted some kind of disease on me, something that's practically a curse. Pretty much the only reason I'm here now is because a sword with that inscription on it. I was hoping you could tell me where it came from..."

« Reply #492 on: October 11, 2011, 06:16:43 AM »
>Show him the sword.
>"Writing's on the guard."

« Reply #493 on: October 11, 2011, 06:20:21 AM »
>"Oh son of a bitch!"
>Take a deep breath. Sigh.
>"I'll give you the short version. I met a wild youkai there, she inflicted some kind of disease on me, something that's practically a curse. Pretty much the only reason I'm here now is because a sword with that inscription on it. I was hoping you could tell me where it came from..."

>Rinnosuke frowns almost imperceptibly as you curse. Then you let out a deep sigh and explain.
>He takes another sip of tea. "I'm not certain I can do that, unfortunately. However, I did show the writing to one of the archaeologists here from the Grand Academy and she seemed rather excited by it. Apparently, it is very similar to some they've unearthed at their dig on the northern islet."

>Show him the sword.
>"Writing's on the guard."

>You show him the sword. He leans towards it and adjusts his glasses, peering intently.
>"Interesting. The workmanship is very fine quality. May I have a closer look?"

« Reply #494 on: October 11, 2011, 06:26:50 AM »
>Press it closer.
>"I can't let it go. Whatever faith is in this thing's keeping the disease at bay."

« Reply #495 on: October 11, 2011, 07:47:29 PM »
>Press it closer.
>"I can't let it go. Whatever faith is in this thing's keeping the disease at bay."

>You extend the sword further towards Rinnosuke.
>"I see." His eyes trace up and down the guard, the wrapped blade, and the grip held in your hand.
>"That sword is called Kumokirimaru. It exists to kill spiders, to repel and rebuke them and anything which carries their mark."

« Reply #496 on: October 11, 2011, 07:49:17 PM »
>"Tell me more. Anything you can think of."

« Reply #497 on: October 11, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »
>"Tell me more. Anything you can think of."

>"I'm not certain how much more I can," he says. "I do not recognize the writing, nor do I have any knowledge of who created it or when. Being a sword, I would ordinarily assume that it is used simply by cutting things with it, though what you say suggests that isn't wholly the case. I assume the youkai who inflicted this disease on you was a spider?"

« Reply #498 on: October 11, 2011, 08:06:17 PM »
>"Spider youkai, yeah. Whether she was a spider that became a youkai, like me, or not, I dunno."
>Eye the sword up and down ourselves.
>"Well at least that much confirms one of my suspicions, even if I was hoping for a bit more."
>Pull the sword back and have a sip of tea.
>"Well, what about history? You know a bit of something about everything. Have you ever heard of giant spiders infesting the island before? The youkai mentioned something about a great conflict between spiders like the ones I encountered and humanoids."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #499 on: October 11, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »
>"And there's a least one old shrine down in the caves around there."

« Reply #500 on: October 11, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »
>"Spider youkai, yeah. Whether she was a spider that became a youkai, like me, or not, I dunno."
>Eye the sword up and down ourselves.
>"Well at least that much confirms one of my suspicions, even if I was hoping for a bit more."
>Pull the sword back and have a sip of tea.
>"Well, what about history? You know a bit of something about everything. Have you ever heard of giant spiders infesting the island before? The youkai mentioned something about a great conflict between spiders like the ones I encountered and humanoids."

>He nods.
>You stare at the sword for a moment. Unfortunately, it does not offer up any new secrets to your gaze.
>"My apologies," he says, then takes another sip of tea.
>You take the sword back and sample your tea as well. It has a somewhat unusual and subtle flavor, almost a bit thin for your taste, but it isn't too bad.
>"Interesting." He sits silently for a few moments, a suggestion of a thoughtful frown on his face. "Certainly not since Braston was founded; conflicts that can be described as 'great' simply do not happen without being noticed. For that matter, I am not distinctly aware of any encounters with giant spiders near here, though isolated incidents could well be overlooked or forgotten."

>"And there's a least one old shrine down in the caves around there."

>He raises an eyebrow slightly. "Even more interesting. Was there any writing there which matched the inscription on the guard? Did you perhaps retrieve any articles from it?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #501 on: October 11, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »
>"I wasn't able to get very close to it, just within distance of being able to see the gate. That spider made sure of that."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #502 on: October 11, 2011, 08:33:23 PM »
>"I wasn't able to get very close to it, just within distance of being able to see the gate. That spider made sure of that."

>"Unfortunate." He takes another sip of tea. "Nonetheless, it is a significant discovery. There has been occasional evidence of previous habitation in the Outer Freelands, though rarely more than suggestions. As I understand it, this is one of the reasons the recent dig has been considered so significant, though I believe work on it is still preliminary. I'm sure they would be very interested in hearing about this. Sadly, I expect none of this does much to address your present concerns."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #503 on: October 11, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »
>"You said no record of a war with spiders here. Do you know of it happening anywhere in the world?"

« Reply #504 on: October 11, 2011, 08:49:31 PM »
>"You said no record of a war with spiders here. Do you know of it happening anywhere in the world?"

>"Hmmm... I do not believe so, though I must admit I am no scholar of history. Certainly, spider youkai themselves are not unknown, even if rare. I once met one in what is now the Wild Lands." He pauses a moment. "She wasn't very personable."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #505 on: October 11, 2011, 08:52:06 PM »
>"Another one? Hmm...maybe it could even be the same one?"
>What exactly did the one we fought look like?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #506 on: October 11, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »
>"Another one? Hmm...maybe it could even be the same one?"
>What exactly did the one we fought look like?

>"I rather suspect not," he says. "The Wild Lands are a considerable distance away, but I suppose it is possible."
>She was fairly short, being not a great dealer taller than yourself, and blond-haired, with a brown bow in her hair. She wore a rather poofy brown dress with black sleeves and yellow banding around the lower portion.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #507 on: October 11, 2011, 10:09:37 PM »
>Describe the one we saw to him.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #508 on: October 11, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »
>Describe the one we saw to him.

>Rinnosuke shakes his head. "That description does not resemble her at all."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #509 on: October 11, 2011, 11:00:45 PM »
>"So then they're not the same one. I suppose that's somewhat useful....Even though I'm not sure how."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!