Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 49313 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #300 on: October 06, 2011, 06:07:48 AM »
>Oops. Didn't mean to say that that loudly.
>Offer her a grin. "I'd never fought anything really dangerous, either, up until a couple days ago. I came though okay, all things considered. If we're lucky, though, you won't have to shoot at anything."
>"But that said, knowledge of the land is good, too. Knowing where to set a regular watch, knowing what terrains' good for laying traps, knowing what paths provide easiest and trickest passage, for spiders and humanoids alike. Anything you can offer- And that goes for everyone else, as well. Pool your knowledge, your experience, so we know where best to use the strengths of the village."
>Nod at Chihiro, and smirk. "Although I think putting a solid spear in your hands'd be a decent start."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #301 on: October 06, 2011, 06:25:34 AM »
>"With most of them, as long as you take them down before the reach you, they're not dangerous."
>Do we feel we have the artistic talent to draw the various spider types we've seen, roughly?

« Reply #302 on: October 06, 2011, 06:39:33 AM »
>Oops. Didn't mean to say that that loudly.
>Offer her a grin. "I'd never fought anything really dangerous, either, up until a couple days ago. I came though okay, all things considered. If we're lucky, though, you won't have to shoot at anything."
>"But that said, knowledge of the land is good, too. Knowing where to set a regular watch, knowing what terrains' good for laying traps, knowing what paths provide easiest and trickest passage, for spiders and humanoids alike. Anything you can offer- And that goes for everyone else, as well. Pool your knowledge, your experience, so we know where best to use the strengths of the village."
>Nod at Chihiro, and smirk. "Although I think putting a solid spear in your hands'd be a decent start."

>Oops!
>You try to reassure Shiori, though she still frowns uncertainly despite this and seems to shrink away into her seat. "I'll... do what I can," she says.
>"That is what we're here for, yes," Lunasa says. "I've tried to map what we discovered while scouting with anything anyone else has noticed - spider sightings, any trails that might have been repeated spider passage, and so forth. If we can get a better grip on their movement patterns, we may be able to keep a more effective watch, particularly since they seemed to have been able to steal cows without notice. I think we've found a few trails, but they unfortunately seem fairly decentralized."
>"Hey!" Chihiro says, hoisting her shovel a little and grinning broadly. "I got what I need right here."

>"With most of them, as long as you take them down before the reach you, they're not dangerous."
>Do we feel we have the artistic talent to draw the various spider types we've seen, roughly?

>"This is true," Lunasa says.
>If by 'roughly', you mean a blob with 8 sticks attacked, then maybe; you probably have about as much artistic ability as that shovel.

« Reply #303 on: October 06, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »
>Chuckle at the shovel's enthusiasm. "I believe it."
>"If it comes down to fighting, weapons with range or reach are your best bets. Spears, pitchforks, bows, throwing knives. Anything you can use to keep some distance between you and it. Including a decent shovel."
>Fill Lunasa in on every detail we can remember about our travels in and around the hillside, including where we met spiders each time, if we haven't done so already.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #304 on: October 06, 2011, 07:19:30 AM »
>"As far as getting more information, I could try to talk with the mice again. But they tried to avoid those things, so I don't know how much it'll help."

« Reply #305 on: October 06, 2011, 07:43:04 AM »
It'd slipped my mind about the mice we grilled on our way up.

>Add anything that could be useful that we gleaned from the mice to our report.

« Reply #306 on: October 06, 2011, 07:52:37 AM »
>Chuckle at the shovel's enthusiasm. "I believe it."
>"If it comes down to fighting, weapons with range or reach are your best bets. Spears, pitchforks, bows, throwing knives. Anything you can use to keep some distance between you and it. Including a decent shovel."

>"You better," she replies.
>You get some looks of acknowledgment to this, though a few others seem disapproving of the sentiment. Chihiro chuckles deeply.
>Lunasa nods. "I'd like to work out details on this before the meeting is over," she says. "Those who feel able to fight and are willing to volunteer for watches. Unzan can't cover the entire village perimeter himself. You probably won't have to use those weapons, but we should be prepared nonetheless."

>Fill Lunasa in on every detail we can remember about our travels in and around the hillside, including where we met spiders each time, if we haven't done so already.

>You do your best to recount your search through the forest in detail. Unfortunately, without keeping a chart of your own, or precise measurements, it's difficult to match up exactly with their maps. Nonetheless, Lunasa and the councilman do their best to chart your approximate course. The latter seems to have a keen knowledge of cartography, though none of the maps available render those parts of the hills in anything but broad strokes - not enough to be certain of where the entrance you used is located. However, it seems the Prismrivers had already retraced some of your trail directly when they went searching in the forest, which allows them to get a more precise marking of your initial encounter with the spiders, and the general direction the scent indicated a cavern entrance likely was. This one isn't on the map, either. On the one hand, you're providing them with new information. On the other, this means there's probably at least 5 entrances, now...

>"As far as getting more information, I could try to talk with the mice again. But they tried to avoid those things, so I don't know how much it'll help."

>"Well, I'll trust your judgement on that," Lunasa says. "I've never talked to a mouse before. At least those of them still living on the ground."

>Add anything that could be useful that we gleaned from the mice to our report.

>Unfortunately, they couldn't give you much more than vague descriptions of the spiders and the fact that they'd come and gone in the area around the pasture land. Anything they've said has been effectively superseded by your own encounters.

« Reply #307 on: October 06, 2011, 06:31:39 PM »
>"Have there been any more cows taken in the past couple days?"

« Reply #308 on: October 06, 2011, 08:33:23 PM »
>"Have there been any more cows taken in the past couple days?"

>Lunasa shakes her head. "Not that anyone here has noticed, at least. They've been kept away from the open pasture, where they're more sheltered and people can keep a closer eye on them."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:35:29 PM by DracoOmega »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #309 on: October 07, 2011, 01:10:04 AM »
>"That's good. Have there been any sightings near town?"

« Reply #310 on: October 07, 2011, 01:42:31 AM »
>"That's good. Have there been any sightings near town?"

>"None outside of the woods, at any rate," Lunasa says. "Though we did see one relatively close yesterday." She gestures to a marking on the map. Several similar ones are scattered about, growing denser towards the hills.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #311 on: October 07, 2011, 01:56:33 AM »
>"What happened?"

« Reply #312 on: October 07, 2011, 02:01:51 AM »
>"What happened?"

>"We killed it," she says. "There was only one."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #313 on: October 07, 2011, 02:02:44 AM »
>Nod.
>"A larger one or a smaller one?"

« Reply #314 on: October 07, 2011, 02:05:21 AM »
>Nod.
>"A larger one or a smaller one?"

>"Smaller," she replies. "Most of what we've seen have been those. Though given their tendency to remain hidden, I imagine we've overlooked as many as we've spotted."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #315 on: October 07, 2011, 02:08:22 AM »
>"So they're definitely paying attention. When was this?"

« Reply #316 on: October 07, 2011, 02:14:22 AM »
>"So they're definitely paying attention. When was this?"

>"Yesterday afternoon. Perhaps around 4 o'clock." Then she frowns. "And paying attention to what, exactly? To us? They've shown coordination at the local level, but if there's any wider organization to what they're doing, I haven't seen any sign of it."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #317 on: October 07, 2011, 02:27:54 AM »
>"I'll explain in more detail once I've gathered my thoughts. Have there been many sightings at night?"

« Reply #318 on: October 07, 2011, 02:50:00 AM »
>"I'll explain in more detail once I've gathered my thoughts. Have there been many sightings at night?"

>Lunasa shakes her head. "We've stayed out of the woods at night, aside from when we first went looking for you."
>"I... think I might have seen one at night," Shiori says. "A couple night ago. But I didn't get a good look at it - it was far away. I didn't even really know what it was then, but I... I think now it was probably a spider."
>"Where was this?" Lunasa asks, frowning.
>"Along one of my trap lines," she replies. "Off to the northwest, across the river."
>Lunasa glances at the maps in front of her. "Do you think you could point it out on a map? Even roughly will do."
>There is a moment's pause. "I can try."
>Lunasa nods to the skunk youkai. "Thank you."
>Shiori quietly stands up and works her way towards the front of the room. Her expression is neutral, but almost so forcefully so that you're sure some discomfort lies beneath it. The councilman stands aside to give her access to the maps and she looks them for a few moments before tracing a circle around an area to the west of the pastures' northern extent. "Somewhere around here, I think."
>"Hmmm... further west than we've seen them," Lunasa says, scrutinizing the map.

« Reply #319 on: October 07, 2011, 03:12:17 AM »
>Where's that location in relation to Ichirin's?

« Reply #320 on: October 07, 2011, 03:15:31 AM »
>Where's that location in relation to Ichirin's?

>Ichirin's is to the far south of Easthaven, quite possibly the furthest point in the village from where Shiori indicated.

« Reply #321 on: October 07, 2011, 03:19:39 AM »
>Did Ichirin give any indication of Shimmer's usual range of activity? How much ground she covers at night, that sort of thing.

« Reply #322 on: October 07, 2011, 03:21:33 AM »
>Did Ichirin give any indication of Shimmer's usual range of activity? How much ground she covers at night, that sort of thing.

>Nothing very specific, although the night you saw her making fireworks in the air, she was quite some distance to the north of the orphanage.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #323 on: October 07, 2011, 03:31:49 AM »
>"Shiori, have you been having any oddities with your traps, lately?"

« Reply #324 on: October 07, 2011, 03:49:49 AM »
>"Shiori, have you been having any oddities with your traps, lately?"

>"Oddities?" She frowns. "Well, I lost a trap last week, but that can happen every now and again. Other than that... I suppose the catch has been a bit light lately, but that's it."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #325 on: October 07, 2011, 04:02:11 AM »
>"Lost? As in, it's gone completely? How do they usually get lost?"

« Reply #326 on: October 07, 2011, 04:03:53 AM »
>"They might be looking for another food source, or another way to access this one, given that we seem to have thwarted their previous routes. Have to keep some eyes out there."
>"There's a fairy that hangs around Ichirin's place, Shimmer Stardust by name. She's nocturnal, so she might have seen something at night others might have missed. Plus she could be useful in patrolling at night, not only for spotting spiders, but sending up signal flares as well. Little thing's a regular nightlight."
>Speaking of food sources....
>Adress the council member, "This might seem a strange question, but has there been any seismic activity around here in the past few weeks? Major outbreaks of disease, wildlife deaths?"

« Reply #327 on: October 07, 2011, 05:16:35 AM »
>"Lost? As in, it's gone completely? How do they usually get lost?"

>"Well, big animals can sometimes go off with traps meant for the little ones," she says. "This was only a rabbit snare. It happens sometimes."

>"They might be looking for another food source, or another way to access this one, given that we seem to have thwarted their previous routes. Have to keep some eyes out there."

>"Possibly," Lunasa says. "Though given the range we've both seen them across, I doubt they were getting all their food from here in the first place."
>"How much do those things need to eat, anyway?" someone pipes up, a slight edge to their voice. "They've already gone off with more than a dozen cows. That's got to last them for a while, doesn't it?"
>Lunasa lets out a small sigh. "I don't think we can do better than guess. The largest of them were bigger than the cows themselves, so I imagine they need to eat a fair bit. Exactly how much, I don't know. Remember, we don't know how many of them there are, either."
>"Do you think that if they weren't hungry," comes a guileless voice from the back, "they'd leave everyone alone?"
>Lunasa turns to the apple youkai, her mouth creasing ever so slightly. "Well, they seem to have come here for food in the first place, so I imagine that's true, but-"
>"In that case," Kichigo interjects, "they're more than welcome to take as many apples as they want from my orchard. I don't mind."
>Lunasa seems momentarily struck dumb by this remark. Merlin lets out a very soft giggle.
>"I... don't think that's a... viable solution," Lunasa manages to sputter out.
>"Why not?" comes the lightsome reply. Lunasa simply goes mute again. You see more than one person in the crowd sigh or roll their eyes. Merlin giggles louder.
>"Spiders are carnivores," Shiori says, before the flustered violinist can manage to articulate a reply. "Normal ones, at least. These are probably the same."
>"Oh." You can hear a small note of disappointment in Kicihgo's voice.

>"There's a fairy that hangs around Ichirin's place, Shimmer Stardust by name. She's nocturnal, so she might have seen something at night others might have missed. Plus she could be useful in patrolling at night, not only for spotting spiders, but sending up signal flares as well. Little thing's a regular nightlight."

>"Oh, that kid?" Chihiro says. "She's ok. Long as she's not doing it right outside your window when you're tryin' to get some shut-eye..."
>"You can't seriously be suggesting we have a fairy keep watch, can you?" one of the farmers says. "Everyone knows how they are." There are a few mutters of agreement.
>"Doesn't hurt, does it?" another says. "I mean, if she spots something, great. If she forgets all about it the moment she's out of sight, we're no worse off than before, are we?" This too gets a few notes of acquiescence, though it's clearly a moderately divisive suggestion.
>Lunasa appears to have resumed her composure. "I agree. Any volunteer we can get shouldn't be disregarded, fairy or no. Keep in mind that, unlike us, she'd be at no risk if she did encounter a spider. We might be able to have her keep a watch over the actual heart of their territory, if we can get her to agree."

>Speaking of food sources....
>Adress the council member, "This might seem a strange question, but has there been any seismic activity around here in the past few weeks? Major outbreaks of disease, wildlife deaths?"

>The councilman gives you a rather incredulous look, mirrored more mutely from Lunasa. A few people in the crowd share uncertain glances with each other.
>"No," he says. "Why?"

« Reply #328 on: October 07, 2011, 06:04:26 AM »
>Points for effort, Kichigo. But let's try not to snicker ourselves, we'll let Merlin do that.
>"It's only recently those spiders were even seen around here. But they didn't just spring into existance, they were in those caves for a long time before now. If it's only now they've started coming this way, something had to have happened to their old food supply. What I'd like to know is what."

« Reply #329 on: October 07, 2011, 06:19:10 AM »
>Points for effort, Kichigo. But let's try not to snicker ourselves, we'll let Merlin do that.
>"It's only recently those spiders were even seen around here. But they didn't just spring into existance, they were in those caves for a long time before now. If it's only now they've started coming this way, something had to have happened to their old food supply. What I'd like to know is what."

>You manage to keep a straight face. Her heart's in the right place, at least.
>"Oh." The councilman pauses. "I guess that makes sense. But no, nothing like that."
>"I haven't seen any sign of them at all in the woods before now," Shiori says. "And I've spent years up there."
>"Me neither," someone from the crowd adds.
>"The caves aren't really that distant," Lunasa says, "even if they're mostly well-concealed. Even if the spiders had been getting their food from somewhere else, you'd think there would have been some sighting of them before now. Just from the past few days, we've seen them scattered over a fairly wide range of the nearby forest." She frowns. "What makes you so certain they've lived there for a long time?"
>"Uh, do you need me for anything else right now?" Shiori asks.