Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 48802 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #960 on: October 28, 2011, 05:35:27 AM »
>"This's probably occured to you too, but, it might be best to leave Honey out of this. Not sure she's up to taking on giant arachnids yet. Well, granted, she probably wouldn't be in THAT much danger, provided she doesn't stray too away from you, but still. She might be too enthusiastic for her own good."

« Reply #961 on: October 28, 2011, 06:11:40 AM »
>"This's probably occured to you too, but, it might be best to leave Honey out of this. Not sure she's up to taking on giant arachnids yet. Well, granted, she probably wouldn't be in THAT much danger, provided she doesn't stray too away from you, but still. She might be too enthusiastic for her own good."

>Marisa shrugs. "Eh, not like anything could really leave a mark on her that'd stick. Actually mightn't mind lettin' her see the real thing, if I could. Be a good lesson to her, and heck, she'd probably even enjoy the light show." She smiles a little. "Kinda moot, though. There's no way she could keep up on the way in; if I'm goin' tonight, I'm goin'."
>The waitress dashes back to your table. "Your bill," she says, depositing said item on the table.

« Reply #962 on: October 28, 2011, 06:23:43 AM »
>"Ah, yes, the other side of dining."
>What's the damage?

« Reply #963 on: October 28, 2011, 06:36:18 AM »
>"Ah, yes, the other side of dining."
>What's the damage?

>"Gotta earn a livin' somehow," the waitress replies. "Can't all make our way findin' treasure or what-not you people do."
>Marisa chuckles. "Most of them can't either," she says, giving the youkai a pointed smirk. "Trust me."
>The bill appears to come to 8 guilders, 2 of which were for Marisa's order.

« Reply #964 on: October 28, 2011, 07:11:26 AM »
>Chuckle at Marisa. "But they damn sure try. Bet you got some stories of folks that came before."
>Pony up the dough.

« Reply #965 on: October 28, 2011, 07:33:47 AM »
>Chuckle at Marisa. "But they damn sure try. Bet you got some stories of folks that came before."
>Pony up the dough.

>"Oh, a few," she replies. "But the ones that don't get too far usually aren't half as fun to tell. Now if you want a real story..." She leaves the sentence hanging, but the supremely smug bearing of her grin is just a little off-putting.
>You produce the required coinage and hand it to the waitress, who checks it over, then pockets it and nods. "Hope the two o' you enjoyed yer meal."

« Reply #966 on: October 28, 2011, 07:56:49 AM »
>"Hit the spot."
>Refrain from jabbing Marisa in the ribs. "Save it for when you get back into town, Mari. We both of us got places to be."

« Reply #967 on: October 28, 2011, 08:02:02 AM »
>"Hit the spot."
>Refrain from jabbing Marisa in the ribs. "Save it for when you get back into town, Mari. We both of us got places to be."

>The waitress flashes you a smile. "Great! Hope to see you again sometime."
>Marisa nods, a more serious expression settling on her face. "Right."
>"Well, you two have a nice night now!" the waitress says, turning and giving you a little wave as she sets off towards another table.

« Reply #968 on: October 28, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »
>"You as well."
>Stand and, with Marisa, depart.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:07:19 AM by Old Man Sour »

« Reply #969 on: October 28, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »
>"You as well."
>Stand and, with Marisa, depart.

>"Thanks!" she calls back, before turning to the new customer, a short fairy with a fierce expression on her face - her head barely crests the table's edge with her seated.
>You stand and make your way out of the restaurant, Marisa taking her broom and following along after you. As you step out into the cool night air, you hear a tiny determined voice cry out from the restaurant behind you: "Make my mouth explode!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #970 on: October 28, 2011, 08:30:39 AM »
>There's nothing for that but to break out laughing.

« Reply #971 on: October 28, 2011, 08:40:19 AM »
>There's nothing for that but to break out laughing.

>You burst into laughter at the fairy's declaration and Marisa cracks up right alongside you.
>"Oh man..." she says after a few moments, nearly having to catch her breath. "I'm almost tempted to stay just to see it happen."

« Reply #972 on: October 28, 2011, 08:58:44 AM »
>"Onea the first things I'm doing once I beat this blight, I'm comin' back here to hear what happened."
>Glance back at the door, then grin at Marisa. "Three guilders says she can take it and wows the whole damn crowd."

« Reply #973 on: October 28, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »
>"Onea the first things I'm doing once I beat this blight, I'm comin' back here to hear what happened."
>Glance back at the door, then grin at Marisa. "Three guilders says she can take it and wows the whole damn crowd."

>"You really got a soft spot for the little ones, don't ya? Wouldn't have pegged you the type." Then she flashes you a grin. "Ten says it's a hilarious disaster."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #974 on: October 28, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »
>"We do have to look out for each other."
>A bit more serious tone. "But, a bit more on topic, Marisa. I want you to promise me something about this spider youkai."

« Reply #975 on: October 28, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
>"We do have to look out for each other."
>A bit more serious tone. "But, a bit more on topic, Marisa. I want you to promise me something about this spider youkai."

>"Ha!" She gives you a friendly fist-bump on the shoulder.
>"Just name it," she says, returning your tone.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #976 on: October 28, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
>"Two things, really. The first one you already know, try to leave her...reasonably intact. That could have been me, in another life, stupidly fighting against the world. The other, well...crush her decisively. Don't leave her any illusion that she could have ever stood a chance if she had done something differently, that she or any of her spiders had a prayer of taking you down. She has to understand she can't win against the world, no matter how strong she might be. Don't give her any openings, don't let her taunt you, don't let her lay a finger or a web or a rock or anything on you. Just ruin anything and everything she tries. And don't let her get you into tight places."

« Reply #977 on: October 28, 2011, 10:13:42 PM »
>"Two things, really. The first one you already know, try to leave her...reasonably intact. That could have been me, in another life, stupidly fighting against the world. The other, well...crush her decisively. Don't leave her any illusion that she could have ever stood a chance if she had done something differently, that she or any of her spiders had a prayer of taking you down. She has to understand she can't win against the world, no matter how strong she might be. Don't give her any openings, don't let her taunt you, don't let her lay a finger or a web or a rock or anything on you. Just ruin anything and everything she tries. And don't let her get you into tight places."

>Marisa nods, a determined look on her face. "It's a promise!"

« Reply #978 on: October 29, 2011, 12:34:50 AM »
>"And... take care of yourself, Mari. I don't want you to end up like me, not on something I asked you to do."

« Reply #979 on: October 29, 2011, 01:10:36 AM »
>"And... take care of yourself, Mari. I don't want you to end up like me, not on something I asked you to do."

>"Ha!" She throws her head back with a triumphant grin. "Don't you worry about a thing. Not gonna let some spider do me in; still way too young for that."
>Then she fixes you with a suddenly serious expression. "And you're not gonna either, got it?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #980 on: October 29, 2011, 01:16:45 AM »
>Mock expression of surprise.
>"Marisa, I thought you knew me well enough by now."
>Flip back to our usual roguish grin.
>"As if I'd go down that easily without a fight!"
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #981 on: October 29, 2011, 02:25:27 AM »
>Mock expression of surprise.
>"Marisa, I thought you knew me well enough by now."
>Flip back to our usual roguish grin.
>"As if I'd go down that easily without a fight!"

>"'course not," she replies, an uncharacteristically tentative smile on her face. "Just... as your mentor, I'm gonna be real disappointed in you if you don't find what you're looking for, ya hear? Got a reputation to think of."

« Reply #982 on: October 29, 2011, 02:55:12 AM »
>Give her a pat on the shoulder.
>"I hear ya, Mari. I hear ya. We'll see each other again."

« Reply #983 on: October 29, 2011, 03:22:19 AM »
>Give her a pat on the shoulder.
>"I hear ya, Mari. I hear ya. We'll see each other again."

>You give Marisa a pat on the shoulder. Her confident expression barely wavers.
>"Damn right we will!" she cries, then hops onto her broom and swings around. "And mind I'm tellin' ya." She gives a quick wave over her shoulder.
>And with that, she takes off like a shot, blowing wind and dust across your face. Looking up, you see a streak of colored light tearing eastward through the sky.

« Reply #984 on: October 29, 2011, 04:26:53 AM »
>"Give em hell, Mari. Give em hell."
>Well, that's a relief. Easthaven'll be safe now. And now we can focus on our own problems.
>Produce Rinosuke's list and see who, if any, would likely be awake at this time. And if any of them are, start running down those leads in search of answers.

« Reply #985 on: October 29, 2011, 04:40:31 AM »
>"Give em hell, Mari. Give em hell."
>Well, that's a relief. Easthaven'll be safe now. And now we can focus on our own problems.
>Produce Rinosuke's list and see who, if any, would likely be awake at this time. And if any of them are, start running down those leads in search of answers.

>You utter a final parting word to Marisa; there's no doubt at all in your mind that she can. Though it brings you once again back to the more... personal of your problems.
>You produce the list Rinnosuke gave you earlier and scan down through it. Given that you are not personally acquainted with anyone on it, you can't really say who'd be awake at this hour. Though given that they're physicians and healers, you expect many are not unaccustomed to being woken for emergencies.

« Reply #986 on: October 29, 2011, 04:44:01 AM »
>Well, start at the top, and go from there.

« Reply #987 on: October 29, 2011, 07:40:33 AM »
>Well, start at the top, and go from there.

>You start with the first address on the list and make your way across town. Knocking on the door of a modest, but well-appointed dwelling, you are answered by a soft-spoken elderly man in thin-rimmed glasses. He invites you inside and listens attentively to your tale, then examines the black markings on your flesh with a look of quiet concern. Unfortunately, he readily admits that he does not recognize these particular symptoms, nor does what you have to say about their origin ring familiar. Offering you a cup of tea, he takes quite some minutes to pour through a small collection of tomes on disease and related lore. Unfortunately, when he reemerges from his study, it is with a heavy look on face. In a regretful tone, he informs you that he can find no further reference within them which might aid you. Stating that he cannot in good conscience prescribe any medicine for a disease he does not understand, he instead recommends that you visit another healer in town who happens to dabble in magic, in the hope that her knowledge might be more in line with the unusual taint you bear. He apologizes again as you depart, wishing you success in your search and promising that he will contact you if he comes upon any information which might be useful.

>You decide to try this other healer he mentioned first before continuing down Rinnosuke's list. Even as you approach her house, you can detect a pungent whiff of alchemical reagents from within, and are nearly blasted by it as she opens the door in response to your knocking. She is a tall dark-haired woman dressed in an outfit whose trappings are suggestive of her involvement with the arcane. Unfortunately, her bearing is nearly the opposite of the previous physician's: cool, almost dismissive and with a certain subtle haughtiness that you find gets quickly under your skin. Nonetheless, she takes you inside what appears to double as a small dispensary for who-knows-what concoctions, and takes a look at you. Her face is fairly impassive as you show her the Blight, and then she performs a few simple diagnostic spells on you. A small spell circle etches itself into the air and ripples of soft green light sweep across you from it, leaving a tingling sensation in their wake. She frowns in concentration as she works the magic and when it is complete, declares that the disease within you is indeed both exotic and potent - a useless statement at this point, if ever you heard one - and that no ordinary remedy could possibly suffice. Fortunately, at least as she explains it, she deals in medicines empowered by arcane knowledge, which are capable of combating disease with an effectiveness that traditional cures cannot match. While she admits that your affliction is beyond the usual range of her stock remedies, she offers to craft one tailored specifically to this Blight that holds fast within you... for a price.

« Reply #988 on: October 29, 2011, 07:58:19 AM »
I STRONGLY suspect this isn't going to work, and that our money would be better spent elsewhere. No way in Hades solving this problem is gonna be this simple. But finding out what she's charging, and how much time's involved, couldn't hurt, I suppose.

>"What kinda price we talkin' here?"

« Reply #989 on: October 29, 2011, 08:36:06 AM »
>"What kinda price we talkin' here?"

>She gives a thoughtful frown. "It will be difficult," she replies, "And time-consuming. This is no ordinary disease and no ordinary spell will be sufficient. For more common ailments, I have a range of general enchantments that are effective, but this will require surgical precision in the spell weaved to counter it. I cannot rightly say how much it will ultimately cost to devise before I have even begun, since while I am experienced at this art, each disease of this rank presents its own unique challenges. Let us say, perhaps..." She pauses for a moment, considering. "100 guilders as an estimate, though I cannot promise that is all it will be. I will do my very best to see that it is, but I cannot see the future."