Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 48801 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #930 on: October 27, 2011, 04:22:16 AM »
>Make a note of the 'for the insane' version for when we're not as hungry.
>Offer her a chuckle at her metaphor. "Just the regular version, I think. Wouldn't want to wake up the neighbourhood, would we."
>Glance back at Marisa with a wry grin. "How's about you, Mari?"

« Reply #931 on: October 27, 2011, 04:31:51 AM »
>Make a note of the 'for the insane' version for when we're not as hungry.
>Offer her a chuckle at her metaphor. "Just the regular version, I think. Wouldn't want to wake up the neighbourhood, would we."
>Glance back at Marisa with a wry grin. "How's about you, Mari?"

>You make a note to come back and give the inferno version a try at some point in the future.
>"Speak for yourself," she counters, her grin somehow managing to look friendly and almost predatory at the same time.
>"Uh..." She casually flips the menu over, skimming through it. "Eh, I'll have a basket of onion rings, I guess."
>"One onion rings..." the waitress repeats. "And kinda-spicy-maybe chicken tempura. Anythin' else?"

« Reply #932 on: October 27, 2011, 04:48:54 AM »
>Skim the menu for drinks. And available mozza sticks.

« Reply #933 on: October 27, 2011, 05:01:52 AM »
>Skim the menu for drinks. And available mozza sticks.

>You skim the menu. There are indeed mozza sticks on the menu, in regular, extra-crispy, and super-crispy varieties. Drink selection isn't especially plentiful, but seem to run the regular sweep of milk, juice, coffee, and the like. The prices aren't... bad, as such. Not really a bargain, but nothing outrageous, either.

« Reply #934 on: October 27, 2011, 05:11:18 AM »
>"Order of mozza sticks as well, regular. And coffee. Black."

« Reply #935 on: October 27, 2011, 05:17:29 AM »
>"Order of mozza sticks as well, regular. And coffee. Black."

>The waitress nods. "Got it."
>"I'm good," Marisa adds, stemming off any further inquiry.
>The waitress nods again. "Right. Shouldn't be too long," she says, turning and striding away.
>After a moment's pause, Marisa leans back into her seat and stretches. "So...."

« Reply #936 on: October 27, 2011, 05:43:20 AM »
>Take a breath.
>"Right. The downlow on the enemy."
>Start with what we know about the spiders themselves.

« Reply #937 on: October 27, 2011, 06:09:14 AM »
>Take a breath.
>"Right. The downlow on the enemy."
>Start with what we know about the spiders themselves.

>Marisa nods, and you start in on providing the particulars: physical description of each of the spiders, their attacks and behavior patterns, and so forth. You attempt to keep relatively quiet, though the general noise level of the restaurant aids in being discreet. Marisa pays close attention while keeping a relaxed demeanor through most of it, whether out of her own casual confidence about the matter or for the sake of keeping up an unguarded bearing in public, you can't be certain. Knowing her, you'd be inclined to say it was mostly the former, though she seemed deadly serious about this business when you first met tonight.
>After a fairly short while, the waitress approaches bearing a tray laden with your respective orders.
>"Here you go!" she says, unloading its contents onto the table before you. First a modest mug of strong-smelling coffee, then a small basket of mozza sticks - looking plenty crispy for the lowest option on the scale - followed by a larger basket of onion rings, browned and similarly thickly battered. Then comes the tempura, its crunchy golden exterior repeating much the same theme as the previous items. The rice does have a nice aroma, though - a dash of sweet and tart upon a savory base.
>Marisa takes a look at the onion rings, reaches a hand out towards them, then stops and frowns, turning towards the waitress. "Uh, don't suppose I could get a glass of water or somethin'?"
>"Sure thing!" the youkai replies, heading back towards the kitchen.

« Reply #938 on: October 27, 2011, 06:32:05 AM »
>"Me too!" call after the waitress.
>Savor the smell of sweet, sweet mozza sticks for a moment.
>"I'd guess the acid spitters are the most dangerous ones for you, as I doubt the big one'sll even get close to you before you bowl em over. The spitters' acid travels pretty fast, even I had a devil of a time avoiding their shots, and believe me, it hurt. Whatever else is in range, you see onea those, trust me, you wanna take it down first."

« Reply #939 on: October 27, 2011, 06:39:41 AM »
>"Me too!" call after the waitress.
>Savor the smell of sweet, sweet mozza sticks for a moment.
>"I'd guess the acid spitters are the most dangerous ones for you, as I doubt the big one'sll even get close to you before you bowl em over. The spitters' acid travels pretty fast, even I had a devil of a time avoiding their shots, and believe me, it hurt. Whatever else is in range, you see onea those, trust me, you wanna take it down first."

>"Sure!" she calls back as she disappears out of sight.
>You take a moment to savor the smell of deep-fried cheese. A bit too deep-fried, perhaps. Still smells pretty good to empty stomach, though.
>"'sokay," Marisa says, grabbing an onion ring and biting down on it with a substantial audible crunch. She flashes you an almost aggravatingly confident grin. "I'm faster."

« Reply #940 on: October 27, 2011, 06:52:54 AM »
>The world'll stop spinning before you lose that confidance, Mari.
>Follow her example with a mozza stick.
>"Oh, before I forget. You were planning on heading out tonight, right?"
>Sip coffee.

« Reply #941 on: October 27, 2011, 07:00:45 AM »
>The world'll stop spinning before you lose that confidance, Mari.
>Follow her example with a mozza stick.
>"Oh, before I forget. You were planning on heading out tonight, right?"
>Sip coffee.

>Wait, it spins now?
>You take a bite of mozza stick. As you suspected, it is a touch heavy on the grease. But really, it's still pretty decent, and you're not about to be picky.
>"Well, there's kind of a hurry on all this, ain't there?" For a moment, you can see a touch of tension in her expression.
>You take a sip of coffee. Ooo... this is pretty strong.

« Reply #942 on: October 27, 2011, 07:09:02 AM »
>"Outside chance you might meet the Prismrivers, then, before they leave. See how their plan went. And yes, I realize time's a factor here, but I didn't want you flying blind, if I could help it. I didn't-"
>Pause and have another mozza stick.
>"If the Prismrivers are still there when you arrive, they might have more info for you that I don't, it's been better part of a day. And they had a plan to at least partially contain the spiders as well, just not sure how it turned out. And even if they don't, town council would know. Worth checking in with them before you head up the mountain."

« Reply #943 on: October 27, 2011, 07:17:06 AM »
>"Outside chance you might meet the Prismrivers, then, before they leave. See how their plan went. And yes, I realize time's a factor here, but I didn't want you flying blind, if I could help it. I didn't-"
>Pause and have another mozza stick.
>"If the Prismrivers are still there when you arrive, they might have more info for you that I don't, it's been better part of a day. And they had a plan to at least partially contain the spiders as well, just not sure how it turned out. And even if they don't, town council would know. Worth checking in with them before you head up the mountain."

>"Just 'cause I can't see in the dark like you guys doesn't mean I need to worry about it being dark, y'know." She gives a casual snap of her fingers and a brief point of starlight flares above them for a moment.
>You grab another mozza stick and chomp down.
>Marisa nods. "Right."
>At this point, the waitress reappears at your table, bearing two tall glasses of water. "Here you go," she says, putting one next to each of you. "Enjoy!"

« Reply #944 on: October 27, 2011, 07:31:31 AM »
>"Thanks."
>Have a go at that rice.
>"Speaking of dark, that brings me to the next issue: spider-home geography."
>Wonder if she ever had to improvise a torch before she became as accomplashied a mage as she is. Have to ask that one day.

« Reply #945 on: October 27, 2011, 07:55:34 AM »
>"Thanks."
>Have a go at that rice.
>"Speaking of dark, that brings me to the next issue: spider-home geography."
>Wonder if she ever had to improvise a torch before she became as accomplashied a mage as she is. Have to ask that one day.

>"Yeah, thanks," Marisa echoes. The waitress nods to the pair of you, and then moseys off to the next customer.
>You dig into the rice. It's actually pretty good. In fact, you would venture to say that it's more satisfyingly prepared than the deep-fried cheese, despite suffering from the obvious problem of involving less cheese.
>"Knock yourself out," Marisa says. "Oh, and help yourself to an onion ring if you want. I just had supper a couple hours back; not too hungry."
>You're inclined to doubt it. As you understand it, light spells tend to be fairly elementary, even for those magicians whose specialization doesn't lend itself so directly towards it as Marisa's. Simple magical light sources usable by a somewhat more general audience aren't particularly hard to come by, either, if you're looking for one.

« Reply #946 on: October 27, 2011, 08:14:40 AM »
>"Don't mind if I do."
>Pilfer an onion ring.
>Fill our comrade in on the parts of the spider cave we experienced, including where we thought the 'feeding ground' was.

« Reply #947 on: October 27, 2011, 08:34:05 AM »
>"Don't mind if I do."
>Pilfer an onion ring.
>Fill our comrade in on the parts of the spider cave we experienced, including where we thought the 'feeding ground' was.

>You snag an onion ring and take a bite. Hmmm... all the frying of the mozza sticks with none of the cheese. You suppose they're not bad if you go for this sort of thing, but it's not too much to your taste.
>As you continue to work your way through your meal, you explain the cavern geography in as precise detail as you can. For most of your journey in, this is quite specific, though you can understandably cover only so much about the parts you crawled through blind or half-delirious. Marisa seems rather less attentive for this portion of your exposition, or at least appears to drift off between descriptions of particular points of interest. To be perfectly honest, you're... not entirely confident in the sharpness of her sense of direction. During your time together, you were inclined more than once to think she managed some of her missions through sheer dumb luck and persistence. Or maybe she just makes it look that way? It's certainly never stopped her from managing to get things done, at any rate.
>In what feels like a surprisingly short length of time, you find yourself nearing the end of your meal. Not among your favorites, but it still had some good points. Greasy aftertaste notwithstanding, you're feeling considerably more sated.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:49:50 PM by DracoOmega »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #948 on: October 27, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »
>"So you got all of that, right?"

« Reply #949 on: October 27, 2011, 08:48:48 PM »
>"So you got all of that, right?"

>She gives a little nod. "Yup, got it."

« Reply #950 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:46 AM »
>"Make sure you watch for the really little ones. It's possible that both the other egg holes I found have all hatched by now."
>"I know you like flying by the seat of your pants, Mari, and this sort of thing is hardly beyond you. I just wanted you to know what you were getting into."

« Reply #951 on: October 28, 2011, 12:58:51 AM »
>"Make sure you watch for the really little ones. It's possible that both the other egg holes I found have all hatched by now."
>"I know you like flying by the seat of your pants, Mari, and this sort of thing is hardly beyond you. I just wanted you to know what you were getting into."

>Marisa grimaces a little. "Ehhhh...."
>She nods. "I know, I know; nasty place and all. But don't you worry about a thing. I got this." She flashes you a confident smile.

« Reply #952 on: October 28, 2011, 01:17:06 AM »
>Chuckle softly. Have a swallow of coffee, then offer her a wry grin.
>"Don't suppose you wanna know what else the youkai can do, other than spit black clouds of doom?"

« Reply #953 on: October 28, 2011, 01:20:31 AM »
>Chuckle softly. Have a swallow of coffee, then offer her a wry grin.
>"Don't suppose you wanna know what else the youkai can do, other than spit black clouds of doom?"

>You chuckle and take a swig of what little coffee remains.
>"Well, she's a spider, so I guess she does the whole web thing." Marisa wiggles her hands in the air for emphasis. "But sure, knock yourself out."

« Reply #954 on: October 28, 2011, 01:30:04 AM »
>"Web indeed."
>Describe her cocooning thing she did on the bridge, her ability to throw boulders at us, sprouting extra limbs, and the surprisingly useful trick she pulled with throwing our own kunai and reeling it back in to throw again. Have to remember to try that ourselves one day.
>"I hurt her pretty good, but if she heals as fast as I do, she may near full strength again, albeit down half a limb."

« Reply #955 on: October 28, 2011, 01:45:26 AM »
>"Web indeed."
>Describe her cocooning thing she did on the bridge, her ability to throw boulders at us, sprouting extra limbs, and the surprisingly useful trick she pulled with throwing our own kunai and reeling it back in to throw again. Have to remember to try that ourselves one day.
>"I hurt her pretty good, but if she heals as fast as I do, she may near full strength again, albeit down half a limb."

>You describe the range of abilities and tactics that the spider youkai demonstrated over the course of your encounter, polishing off the last of your meal in the process.
>"Gonna take more than eight to save her," Marisa responds, grinning widely.
>At this point, the waitress reappears beside your table. "Can I get you two anything else?" she asks, glancing at the empty dishes.
>"Nah, I'm good," Marisa replies, leaning back into her booth and stretching her arms behind her.

« Reply #956 on: October 28, 2011, 01:47:57 AM »
>Are we still hungry? And what's our bill up to?

« Reply #957 on: October 28, 2011, 02:13:56 AM »
>Are we still hungry? And what's our bill up to?

>Not too hungry, no; there was no shortage of bulk to your meal, at least. You hadn't been specifically tallying up all the items. You think you're probably up to around 7 guilders or so.

« Reply #958 on: October 28, 2011, 02:41:58 AM »
>"Yeah, think I'm good myself. How much for a slice of you, though?"

« Reply #959 on: October 28, 2011, 04:56:45 AM »
>"Yeah, think I'm good myself. How much for a slice of you, though?"

>"Great," she says, nodding. "I'll be right back with your bill." And with that, she dashes off again.
>She smirks. "If you ain't brave enough for those 'inferno-in-your-mouth' wings, you ain't brave enough to try me!"