Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 4)  (Read 49155 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 4)
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2011, 12:59:41 AM »
>Is there anywhere near by we can use for high ground? Be it against a wall or otherwise?
>"I didn't come here for trouble, but I'll defend myself if I have to! If anyone out there can understand me, give me a sign! Anything!"

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2011, 01:39:44 AM »
>Is there anywhere near by we can use for high ground? Be it against a wall or otherwise?
>"I didn't come here for trouble, but I'll defend myself if I have to! If anyone out there can understand me, give me a sign! Anything!"

>The rock formation forming the southern border of this part of the chamber rises quite a ways off the ground, though climbing it would be awkward - the ceiling interposes in inconvenient ways and the rock itself offers few places level enough to stand on. There is a slight slope on the approach to the rock that might offer a marginal advantage. Aside from that, most of the stalagmites flat enough to stand on wouldn't qualify as very high.
>You cry out into the cavern, but no words answer your call. The spiders continue to approach.

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2011, 02:00:21 AM »
>Place torch in tail an take pitchfork in a two handed grip.
>Take a couple steps to the west, see if we can see if it is indeed a big one coming from that way.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2011, 02:05:17 AM »
>Toss a rock to the other side of you. Hopefully the sound and the rock as it wafts in the air will make the zpidars go the other day. Best throw plox

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2011, 02:20:14 AM »
>Toss a rock to the other side of you. Hopefully the sound and the rock as it wafts in the air will make the zpidars go the other day. Best throw plox

>Let's not waste time or our precious pitchfork grip with this.

« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2011, 02:25:35 AM »
>Place torch in tail an take pitchfork in a two handed grip.
>Take a couple steps to the west, see if we can see if it is indeed a big one coming from that way.

>You shift the torch back to your tail and get a firmer grip on the pitchfork.
>Then you take a couple steps to the west. Your light stretches further into the tunnel leading that direction - enough to see it shift and angle towards the north. You can't see far enough along it to spot the spider yet. It sounds like the ones approaching from behind you are closer than it is now, and closing quickly.

« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2011, 02:29:21 AM »
>Alright, first things first, then.
>Turn and look east, and prepare pitchfork to intercept any that might be leaping at us.

« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2011, 02:42:10 AM »
>Alright, first things first, then.
>Turn and look east, and prepare pitchfork to intercept any that might be leaping at us.

>You turn and look east, readying the pitchfork against any incoming attacks. The spiders don't seem to be in sight just yet, though you expect you have no more than a few seconds before that changes.

« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2011, 02:45:45 AM »
>Can we gauge how much longer before the one coming from the west comes within defense range?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2011, 02:46:59 AM »
If they're coming, it'd be a good idea to head back toward the southern tunnel, I suspect.

« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2011, 02:53:08 AM »
>Can we gauge how much longer before the one coming from the west comes within defense range?

>Somewhere in the range of 20 seconds, you think.

« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2011, 03:03:38 AM »
>Ouch time soon...
>Dash back to that slope to the south. Best not face attack on two fronts.

« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2011, 09:06:39 PM »
>Ouch time soon...
>Dash back to that slope to the south. Best not face attack on two fronts.

>Hopefully you will be giving rather than receiving...
>You dash towards the rock to the south, scampering up what purchase you can find and putting your back to the wall. As you do, you see two spiders come into view from the northeast- wait, three. They appear to be of the smaller green variety you have encountered several times so far, though moving more quickly than the one you first chased.
>The spiders start to fan out around you, still keeping their distance. You can hear the sound of at least one more still approaching from that direction.

« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »
>Try to get a good look at the mandibles of these little ones, get a grasp of their offensive potential.

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2011, 12:24:57 AM »
>Try to get a good look at the mandibles of these little ones, get a grasp of their offensive potential.

>Their mandibles seem about proportionate to their body size: a couple inches long and relatively slender. While they don't look capable of ripping you apart like their larger cousins', you're sure they could still be significantly unpleasant.

« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2011, 01:11:32 AM »
>Apart from the eastern and western passages, can we hear the sounds of incoming from any other direction?

« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2011, 01:19:06 AM »
>Apart from the eastern and western passages, can we hear the sounds of incoming from any other direction?

>Not currently.

« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2011, 01:29:21 AM »
Now at this point, as I sees it, we can either take the offensive against these little guys or hold our ground and wait for them to make the first move. Trouble is, we could be facing massive numbers if we wait that long, and I'm not certain which is the right move.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2011, 01:33:53 AM »
I think it doesn't matter how awesome you are if you have 20 spiders a round chewing on your face. 

I would suggest, unless we intend to set the place on fire, now is time to withdraw. Staying in one place and getting swarmed is bad. The question is, to we withdraw backward, or do we charge right through the crowd and hope to find something new and fun?

« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2011, 01:42:03 AM »
Not backward. Through the crowd has potential, though. They'd never expect that.
We were still picking up signs of that unfamiliar scent to the east. I say we go that way and see what we can find.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2011, 02:17:58 AM »
I concur. And since I'm too lazy to look up specific details, I leave it to you. =]

« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2011, 02:20:43 AM »
Well then wish me luck. I haven't had the best track record lately.

>Can we see the passage east well enough to determine if it's large enough to accomodate us?

« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2011, 02:28:04 AM »
>Can we see the passage east well enough to determine if it's large enough to accomodate us?

>To the east, the open area that you are currently in extends out of sight. You see no tunnels along visible walls to the northeast, and these spiders came from well beyond the reach of your light in any case.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2011, 02:37:28 AM »
Let's try for it.

« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2011, 02:39:49 AM »
>Make a dash towards the east.
>Be prepared to meet any attacks along the way with the pointy end of the pitchfork.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2011, 02:42:22 AM »
>But only to deflect said attacks, don't need anything stopping the mouse train!

« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2011, 03:42:37 AM »
>Make a dash towards the east.
>Be prepared to meet any attacks along the way with the pointy end of the pitchfork.
>But only to deflect said attacks, don't need anything stopping the mouse train!

>You break and dash eastward. The spiders that had been spreading west of you turn to pursue, while the nearest leaps at your side as you pass near it.
>You bring the pitchfork round to intercept the attack, thrusting at the spider mid-leap. You feel the tines pierce its underside as the spider's pounce meets metal instead of flesh. Its cry of surprise and pain is so shrill you nearly wince. Without breaking stride, you give the pitchfork a hard swing in the other direction, flinging the spider free of the tines and into the rock face. It tumbles off in a twitching heap.
>You keep dashing forward, covering another dozen feet or so. You seem to be outpacing the spiders behind you, but they're still pursing rapidly.
>Two more spiders come into view ahead of you: another green one, charging straight for you, and a larger dull gray spider, following more slowly to its side.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2011, 03:53:23 AM »
>Jump straight over the green one, let it smack into some tines if it's having ideas of leaping at us. Until that point, use the pitchfork to ward off the gray one.

« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2011, 04:26:27 AM »
>Jump straight over the green one, let it smack into some tines if it's having ideas of leaping at us. Until that point, use the pitchfork to ward off the gray one.

>You keep dashing towards the green spider, aiming to leap straight over it. As you close in, it makes a quick leap off to your right, landing against the wall to your side. The gray spider is moving in from your left, still about 20 feet away.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2011, 04:28:55 AM »
>Keep going. Does the gray spider seem small enough to vault over?