Author Topic: Nickname?  (Read 9471 times)

Nickname?
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:03:31 AM »
Seems like I'm getting lost, but I dunno if I can change my nickname. Can I?
1CCs:
Normal: IN (6A and 6B), TD, DDC, UFO, MoF, SA, EoSD, PCB, PoFV, LoLK (Pointdevice, Legacy), HSiFS, WBaWC
Extra: MoF, DDC, UFO, IN, SA, TD, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

SMW Central Profile | MyAnimeList

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: Nickname?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 08:59:19 PM »
No, it is permanent.  It is not meant to be changed, it's meant to be a way to identify who you are if you change your display name.  We used to leave the login username visible for this reason but that lead to security issues.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »
ok, so can I request a Nickname change for one time only?
1CCs:
Normal: IN (6A and 6B), TD, DDC, UFO, MoF, SA, EoSD, PCB, PoFV, LoLK (Pointdevice, Legacy), HSiFS, WBaWC
Extra: MoF, DDC, UFO, IN, SA, TD, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

SMW Central Profile | MyAnimeList

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:36:55 PM »
Speaking of nicknames, what determines them appearing in posts or not? If it's an option I can't find it. ???

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »
ok, so can I request a Nickname change for one time only?
Send me a PM and I'll change your nickname.  Don't think I'll do it every time though, you gotta have a good reason for it :V

Speaking of nicknames, what determines them appearing in posts or not? If it's an option I can't find it. ???
If your nickname matches your display name it will hide it automatically (since it'd be redundant)

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 12:45:19 AM »
I just joined and I had no idea you couldn't change your nickname... and that it wasn't the same as "Title".  Would it be possible for me to get a nickname change, too?

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:17:37 AM »
Pretty much what Frost said, I didn't know exactly what a nickname was for at the time, but now that i do i wouldn't mind changing it.

Drake

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 03:17:33 AM »
If it's becoming so much of an issue, it might be an idea to describe the difference between username, nickname and display name, in the register form.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 03:33:15 AM »
How about automatically defaulting the nickname to the display name upon registration? Then when new users change their display name eventually, their nickname will stay as the original.

Drake

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 03:46:21 AM »
IIRC, the reason nicknames were implemented in the first place was because having usernames being your login names gave way to a security opening that was being toyed around with by supa hakers. If your username is the same as your nickname it would likely open up a similar problem.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 04:16:34 AM »
I just checked the registration form and I realized my suggestion doesn't make sense since I just made an assumption. :derp:

Now that I know what the form looks like, I think the problem is that it doesn't describe the nickname thing very well. It's probably better if you change the label to "Display Name:" and add a description like "This is the name other people will see you by" or "This is the name that will show up on the forums" and then move it up to right beneath "Username:" in the required fields section. I think there are other sites that have the same kind of thing so it would make more sense.

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 04:54:23 AM »
If it's becoming so much of an issue, it might be an idea to describe the difference between username, nickname and display name, in the register form.

I actually didn't see a "display name" option when I registered.  I just saw "Username" at the top and "Nickname" at the bottom, and the Nickname said it shouldn't be the same as the Username.  I think it'd be more helpful if the form had specified that you CAN change your username but not your Nickname, which I find really odd.  I'd imagine a lot of people are used to not being able to change their Usernames at all (well, some places allow you to PM a mod/admin about it).

I also noticed with the registration form that some of the fields and blanks didn't match up, but that might be because I'm using IE 7 or 8 or whatever (I'm always told to use something aside from IE).

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »
I actually didn't see a "display name" option when I registered.  I just saw "Username" at the top and "Nickname" at the bottom, and the Nickname said it shouldn't be the same as the Username.  I think it'd be more helpful if the form had specified that you CAN change your username but not your Nickname, which I find really odd.  I'd imagine a lot of people are used to not being able to change their Usernames at all (well, some places allow you to PM a mod/admin about it).

I also noticed with the registration form that some of the fields and blanks didn't match up, but that might be because I'm using IE 7 or 8 or whatever (I'm always told to use something aside from IE).
You can't change your username or nickname; the only name you can change is your display name, and I don't believe that's part of the registration form; it's only available in the settings menus.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 09:54:16 AM »
To call a spade a spade, the system we have now is:

Display name: Display name
Nickname: Usual name if you changed it for some reason
Username: Password 1
Password: Password 2

With this, I would suggest moving Nickname to the top of the entry field, and giving a line like "this is what you would like to be known as."  Then put Username under it and state clearly that this is only to be used for logins.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »
Why can't we simply call the Username 'Password Name' instead, and make your Nickname 'Username'? Then, on a box on top of the registration form, say something like 'the Password Name and Password are the keys you use to login, and your Username is what you are known as on the forums.' Perhaps mentioning things about Display Names in the registration will just make things even more confusing, though.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 04:12:17 AM »
This is all temporary, eventually you'll be logging in with your email address rather than an arbitrary username.  Nickname will remain as a identification field to track down people who chronically change their display names.

Zap

• Embodiment of Lightning
  • Shocking, isn't it?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 08:10:55 AM »
Umm. Can I possibly get my nickname changed to what my username is? When I registered, I thought my nickname was my custom title, and got them confused like the others on here did. And I'm not sure if I can PM anyone for help.  :blush:
Also sorry for posting here for help. I read the rules, but this thread was still on the first page, so I thought that making a new thread would be pointless...sorry...

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 01:47:25 AM »
No, nickname can't be the same as username.

Zap

• Shocking, isn't it?
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 02:10:40 AM »
Oh, I see... Um, what if it was 'Zap Raisora'? Would it work since there is more than just 'Zap'?
again, sorry for the trouble

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.  Your username shouldn't be anything that can be guessed at publicly, so no using part of it for the nickname doesn't make sense either.  I can do a one time username change if it's that big of a deal.

Eventually you'll use your email address to login instead of a username, but that's currently on the backburner.

Zap

• Shocking, isn't it?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 10:53:40 PM »
OK, I think I get it.
So could the nickname just be cut down to just 'Lightning'? The whole time my concern was my nickname sounding like a Custom Title.

Edit: Thank you very much! Again, sorry for being such a bother.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:08:56 AM by Zap »