Author Topic: EoSD Lunatic  (Read 3130 times)

EoSD Lunatic
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »
So I've decided to try for an EoSD Lunatic 1cc. The trouble is, there are several parts that keep messing up my runs.

I know there's a help thread but I felt that this was too big of a request to put there.

Here's my best run so far: http://www.replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=18798

Stage 3 seems to be what's giving me the most trouble, namely after the midboss and Meiling herself. I know how to do most of stage 4, but I'm not too familiar with how it works on Lunatic, so some advice there would be appreciated as well. Patchouli too, especially her first card.

Also, I managed to pull of a weird amount of deathbombs in this, which is probably why I got as far as I did. However, I don't try to rely on deathbombing; my reflexes just suck so when I try to bomb before a bullet hits me I end up getting a deathbomb. At least, I think that's what's happening. Maybe IN has improved my deathbomb reflex.

Advice on Sakuya would be appreciated as well, especially her first two nonspells and The World.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:00:07 PM by Glimmer »

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
Re: EoSD Lunatic
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »
First, my lunatic 1cc: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=16000
Second, no clue how to do Stage 3.
Third, Pretty sure I did stage 4 stage optimally (1 bomb on the books), but it's been a while, I may have bombed/died 2 otherplaces (lasers and ending)
Fourth, Sakuya's second nonspell is IMO, the hardest part of her fight.  Just try to dodge everything she has as a boss-the World included.
Fifth, the run I linked to has a really bad stage part of stage 5.  Ignore that.
Sixth, that Remilia battle stood as my best until very recently, so try to have more than that going in.
Now excuse me while I go try to capture Scarlet Meister some more.

Zil

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »
For "The World" get as close to Sakuya as you can. The knives appear with respect to your position, so the higher up you are when they appear, the more room you have to move. Her second non-spell isn't too bad as long as you stay away from the bottom of the screen. You can also cheese the first half of stage 5 by staying at the top, if you didn't already know that. (I didn't watch the replay yet.)

I can probably add more later. I was trying to figure out all kinds of stuff a while ago because I wanted to do it at 90FPS, so I may know some tricks.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »
I was trying to figure out all kinds of stuff a while ago because I wanted to do it at 90FPS
Aww, do you still want it? It would be awesome to watch a 90 fps EoSD run :3
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

Zil

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:33:25 PM »
Aww, do you still want it? It would be awesome to watch a 90 fps EoSD run :3
It's the first thing I'll do when I start actively playing again. I'm sort of taking a general break now to play other games. SA at 90FPS tired me out I think. >=P

Zil

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »
Okay I watched the replay I guess I have some advice.

Stage 1 was fine. Of course capture Demarcation if you can but that's a no brainer.

Stage 2: Don't use a bomb in the beginning. I guess you wanted to get items but it's not worth wasting a bomb. THANK YOU for knowing how to dodge Cirno's opener, even if you happened to mess up.

Stage 3: Meiling did some damage here. She's mostly random, but Rainbow Windchime is static and I'm sure you can capture it. Other than that just get in the zone and dodge I guess. That part with the kunai killed you because to changed direction in the middle. I would start that wave a bit to the left of the middle then stream right, passing through the columns of kunai as you go. That isn't so hard since you can ignore the aimed ones entirely. There's a good trick for the last phase. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIFlDe1dSXY (I don't know how to link to a certain part of the video, but that has a great example) Just start in the upper corner and shoot the fairies in front of you and you easily bypass everything.

Stage 4: I'm not sure what to say, but it seems like you did alright. There's a way to do the last three fairies at the end. Shotgun the one in the middle, but don't kill it. Quickly shift to one of the other two and shoot it while dodging stuff. Hopefully it will die and clear the screen, then go back to the one in the middle. It will die very quickly because you already damaged it and then dealing with only of them is pretty easy. Here's an example of that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1cQmIlVygw He uses ReimuB, but it can be done as ReimuA as well. (And I think ReimuA is the best choice to use overall so stick with it.)
As for Patchy, she may be the hardest boss in the game. I don't know how to deal with her.

Stage 5: Don't move to the side when you misdirect The World. It feels like that's what you'd want to do but it ends up being a bad idea. Just stay close under Sakuya.

And I'm not sure about stage 6 because you didn't get very far into it.

I highly recommend watching the rest of Petit's replay. He finds lots of clever ways to dodge things and uses resources effectively, so I think it would be helpful. Other than that just try to improve your dodging in general I guess, and good luck. (What Sakuya did on her first spell was mean.)

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 03:56:29 AM »
I'll chip in as well.
First, my replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=12695
This is a very old one. Sit back with popcorn as I do stage 5 in the most awful way possible and bomb everything into oblivion.
Marisa B is practically made for that :V

As for Reimu A, there is this non-clear - gamer over at Scarlet Meister (due to derping up 5 times in stage 5, mostly Sakuya):
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=12988
It was done for one of the weekly tournaments a while a go, something about capture as many cards as possible - which is why I didn't really care about game overing that late in the game - I won't capture those last 2 cards anyways.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My advice based on your replay:
Stage 1 - yeah, capture demarcation, and it might be easier to go for a capture of night bird rather than time out.

Stage 2 - I also bomb in the beginning. In addition to collecting items, it also clears the initial wave of stuff which can be rather hectic at times and I wouldn't want to dodge that if I were bad.

Stage 3 - see the Reimu A replay for a demonstration of stage 3. Basically, my strategy to the 2nd half of the stage is to drop a bomb on the hardest part of the streaming, then for the last wave, kill the fairy on the top right and then sit there. Meiling's first nonspell, first spell, 2nd nonspell, and maybe even 3rd spell should be 100% capture. The red wave of the third nonspell should be taken to the right of Meiling, otherwise you could die. If Meiling is on the far right side of the screen, bomb!

Stage 4 - Shouldn't you be able to to kill the fairies to clear bullets? I could do it even with Reimu A. Patchouli's first card - you shouldn't drift to the corner or else you die or time out. Even though the middle looks dangerous, you have to stick around. See my Reimu A for a general idea of how to do all the cards. It's got a perfect Patchy fight.

Stage 5 - I move to the side as well. I find it makes it even easier. However, getting close to Sakuya should be your first priority, cuz that's the biggest factor in determining how dense the knives will be. Oh, and if you can, capture Jack the Ludo Bile - although sometimes she will be mean and put a huge mass of bubbles right where you should be dodging.

Stage 6 - the stage portion seems fine to me. Good luck with Remillia - she either makes or breaks your run. You have to be good at her last spell and preferably carry 1 or more extra lives into it. Every other card you can bomb away.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:06:27 PM »
Cactu made a nice run with Reimu A. It's always fun to watch his videos with those laid-back commentary :)
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear