Author Topic: Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure! (The Adventure Begins!)  (Read 147727 times)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure! (The Adventure Begins!)
« on: March 17, 2011, 03:11:36 PM »
~BGM: Life's Beginning~
Welcome....To The Land of Dreams and Illusions...

Gensokyo.

In this wondrous and mysterious land where legends and myths are real, you will meet many other youkai, some like yourself, others not.
Will you be a hero(ine), or one of those unsavory sorts who causes incidents?
It is all in your hands, dear players, for this is...

YOUKAI QUEST!

~BGM: A New Star Is Born!~
You are Hibachi, newborn Nekomata.
You've awoken in [Mayohiga] with little memory of your life as a normal cat.
You have also met another Nekomata like you, Chen.
You have also experienced a headache for the first time, as well as inadvertently causing Chen to get one too.
And you have also learned how to use Danmaku somewhat, and met one of Chen's friends, The Darkness youkai Rumia!
After meeting Rumia, you've discovered her..."eating habits".
After the escapades with Rumia, you've had a restful, if boring, sleep. And you've also met Yukari and thanked her for the note!
Shortly after that, You met CidNitori, and are currently aboard the Airship she built, you've also recieved a gift of three blank spellcards!
After landing at the Youkai Mountain, you met Momiji, and had a 'close' encounter with her, and a weird blur seems to have caught it on film!
Momiji has also given you one of those blank spellcards!
Not too far from the Outpost, you ran into a trio of White Kedama, and after defeating two of them, and heavily damaging the third, it became a dangerous Red Kedama!
But luckily, you were saved by someone calling themselves a Kamen Rider, whatever that is.
You have also reached the Tengu Village Gate, and gained entry to the Tengu Village!
After some walking, you came across some fairies arguing over something, and some Kedama seemed to be keeping people from getting too close, how thoughtful of the little fluffballs!
And when the fairies flew off, the Kedama departed too, except for one, A Jr. Kedama who seemed to want to follow you on your travels!
As you walked to the Shrine, you decided to name it Ponga. And not too long afterwards, you reached the Shrine and met the Frog Goddess you heard about.
After sharing lunch with her, and learning a bit about Kamen Riders, she directed you to the 'elevator' behind the Shrine, but on the way there you bumped into that Green-Haired Shrine Maiden people told you about!
She was pretty mean, she even threw you into Momiji! Apparently she always acts like that around this time.
According to Momiji, she always goes off to fight the Red-White when she gets like this.
You've also survived an all-out duel with Kanako Yasaka, the Wind Goddess of Moriya Shrine!
But the fight took it's toll on you, you wound up falling unconscious for three whole days!
After a few months of recovery and training with Kanako, and more than a few run-ins with Angry Sanae, you finally mastered Flight.
It's been a long while since you became a youkai...So many things have happened...You don't know what the future holds, but it's sure to be amazing!
Later on, you made it to Hakugyoukurou, and met it's enigmatic ruler, Yuyuko Saigyouji. As well as her Gardener/Personal Chef/Bodyguard, Youmu Konpaku. Who also taught you a few tricks to use in cooking, and even gave you an outfit to wear when you cook!
Strangely enough, a bizarre creature called a Nozuchi appeared from out of nowhere and started stirring up a ruckus. You were able to resolve that incident rather quickly, and even made a new friend in the process! That friend is the very same Nozuchi who was causing a fuss, you've chosen to refer to her as Izanami, but she doesn't seem to like it much.

~Inventory~
Cooking Outfit(Worn as Clothes)
This stylish-looking White Apron and Green Kimono set looked brown when you first saw it, but you blinked and it was green like all the others.
Cooking Hat(Equipped as Hat)
This poofy hat is a must for any chef, as the Legendary Chef Boyardee can attest...But you kinda wonder just who he is.
Classy Suit (Unequipped)
Yukari probably left this in your closet, you think it looks snazzy!
Tiny Ribbon (Worn as Accessory)
Cute little ribbon you woke up with.
Classy Headgear (Unequipped)
Snazzy Top hat that goes with the suit. You think it adds charm, but does it add CHARISMA?
Yukari's Note (Key Item)
A note that was addressed to you, written by Yukari.
Blank Spellcards(3) (Key Item)
These blank spellcards were given to you by CidNitori, as well as Momiji, but you can't use them until you have them engraved somehow.
Mountain Map (Key Item)
This is a simple map of the Youkai Mountain, simple enough that even you can read it. It marks such important places as Moriya Shrine, Tengu Village, Kappa Village, and the Outpost!
Momiji's Newspaper (Key Item)
A newspaper with a picture of a green-haired woman on the front, who could she be?
Froggy's Iron Ring (Unequipped)
The Red Kedama dropped this when you defeated it. It's apparently one of the many Iron Rings that were scattered all across Gensokyo when Suwako and the Red-White fought.
Athletic Wrappings(Unequipped)
A roll of Athletic Bandages that people who play sports often wear, it has a caricature of a drunk-looking girl with horns on it. Maybe they belong to whoever's face that is?
They seem to have a strange effect when you equip them.

Ponga's(?) Home Cooking
A small dish with a strange chicken and rice dish with a brown sauce. It smells delicious!
Macca(199/200)
These weird coins were given to you by Ran, they were helpful in resolving the Nozuchi incident. They must have some kind of power, but you can't feel anything.

~Spellcards~
Soldier Cat ~ 「Felyn Lance」 (Mana Cost 2)
This is the first Spellcard you unlocked, It fires a barrage of Laser Shots directly forward. You get the feeling Yukari would be proud.

~Quests~
Thanks for "Note"ing(Complete!)
You have a strange note, and you don't know who wrote it, but you feel you should thank whoever it is.
Recently you've discovered that it was Written by someone named Yukari, as well as meeting the Chen the note talked about, it seems Chen knows her .
You've also met Ran Yakumo, Chen's master, it seems she's something called a shikigami, and Ran is this Yukari person's shikigami, which makes Chen a shikigami's shiki..gami...ow.
You've finally managed to thank Yukari for the note, don't you feel good about yourself?

Ice Crusher
Word is that Cirno's been acting strange and attacking anyone going near the Misty Lake, and since she's been doing that, nobody can get any fish there!
This problem must be dealt with, for the sake of your lunch!

Mountain of FaithFun
According to CidNitori, the Tengu on the Mountain have lots of fun things to do!
So it's your task to find out what!
Apparently the tengu and kappa busy themselves with playing Shogi in their off time, but maybe there's more they do than just that?

Kitty Hawk(Complete!)
According to CidNitori, there's someone on the Mountain that can help you learn to fly!
You've survived the duel with Kanako, there's a good chance she'll be the one to teach you how to fly!

Of Kedama And Fairies
Momiji said that Fairies keep Kedama as pets sometime, so the best person to ask what Kedama eat would be a fairy!
And Suwako said that Fairies are Embodiments of Nature itself, so they know all about Kedamas.
Now all that's left is to find a fairy that's willing to tell you!

~Subquests~
Ancient Relics
According to Yukari, there were two powerful people in Gensokyo who haven't been seen for a long time.
She mentioned that they've left some of their possessions behind, and that a puppeteer might be able to help you find some of them.

~Skills~

Cat Form (Nekomata/Kasha Innate)
"Nekomata were once cats, so why then is it a surprise that they still take that form?"
This active skill allows you to shift between humanoid and cat forms.

Catlike Tread ~ Rank E (Nekomata/Kasha Innate)
This stealthy way of moving is not only utilized by Nekomata, but Kasha as well.
This Passive Skill enables the user to sneak around with more stealth than the average youkai

Danmaku Mastery ~ Rank C
"Danmaku's all about power, ze!" -An Ordinary Magician
This passive skill's level reflects how good you are with danmaku.
You've been using Lasers a lot lately, maybe you'll learn a new shot type soon?

Youkai Fortitude ~ Rank D
"The bodies of youkai are considerably more resilient than a human's." -Hieda no Akyu
This passive skill reflects how durable you are.
You're more durable than you used to be, train this if you want to be able to resist attacks better!

Youkai Strength ~ Novice
"The sheer physical power some youkai, like Oni, can muster is truly frightening."
This passive skill reflects how much physical power you have at any given time, being a newborn youkai, it's only enough to consistently outperform a grown man.

Smooth Moves ~ Rank Unknown
"These moves originated from a famous performer from the outside world, how you learned them is unknown, but you can use them almost as well as he was said to."
You don't really know much about this skill, and frankly, you're not sure if you can use it outside of your dreams.

Confusion Resistance ~ Rank E
"Even the strongest of beings can fall prey to confusion, try not to fall into it too much yourself."
This passive skill reflects how easy/hard it is for things to make your brain overheat, but it's not that strong right now.

Sense Presence ~ Novice
"(Insert underused DBZ Quote here)"
This passive skill is always on, it allows you to sense the presence of other Youkai, Powerful Humans, and Divine Beings, as well as Gauge their power in relation to your own.

~Special Skills~
Flight
This skill is known by almost every youkai. But for some reason or another you lacked it, so you had to learn it the hard way.
You can fly to various locales, but Yukari advised you against flying to places you don't fully know about.

Known Places:
  • Mayohiga
  • Youkai Mountain
  • Hakugyoukurou

Ringkind ~ Rank D
You've trained with Suwako a fair bit in the use of the Iron Ring you found a while back, you're quite used to it's heft now.

~Pets~
Jr. Kedama ~ "Ponga"
~Pet Skills(Ponga)~
Fluffy Body(Kedama Intrinsic)
This Passive Ability shared by all Kedama reduces physical damage by 5%.
Danmaku Mastery ~ Novice
Youkai Fortitude ~ Novice
Youkai Strength ~ Novice

~Allies~
Serpent Nozuchi ~ "Izanami(?)"
~Skills/Abilities "Izanami(?)"~
Danmaku Mastery ~ ?
Youkai Fortitude ~ ?
Youkai Strength ~ ?
?? (Will be Known Later)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:28:33 AM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
Re: Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »
Oh god yes its here
It's finally here
YESSSSS

I hope this wont be the only post for today. :V

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
Youkai Quest Character Creation Guidelines
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:14:12 PM »
Now, here's how the character generation works.
First you choose a name.
I'll wait until as many names as I deem fit have been suggested before moving to the next part, voting will be done in-between names as well.

Now, since some folks likely want to know how this will work, I'll put it here as well.
First you must choose a name.
Then you must choose your gender.
Then you must choose what kind of youkai you will be.
From there, I the Parser will build on that baseline with my preexisting ideas..

Additional Info: Different Youkai will start in different areas.
Kasha, Oni. Tsuchigumo, and other youkai seen in the Underground will tend to start in the Ancient City.
Plant-based Youkai will start in the Garden of The Sun, where they will meet their first ally/opponent, but you don't need me to tell you who that obviously is.
Magicians will start either in the Human Village, the Forest of Magic, or rarely in Makai.
Tsukumogami will also start almost anywhere, but they're more likely to appear in Kourindou or at Marisa's House.
Beast and Insect youkai also appear more frequently in the Forest of Magic, but there are exceptions...
EDIT: Due to some fuss over beast subtypes, I've nixed the subtypes for all but the magicians, and annexed the tengu to beast family.

~Beast Family~
Kitsune
Nekomata
Kasha
Tengu-Bird
Tengu-Wolf
Dog Type
Rodent Type

Also, instead of having a predefined power, I decided to borrow from Nameless Quest and I,LOLI in terms of how you'll get new skills.
You need to feel them firsthand, which essentially keeps you from learning a truly overpowered(ingame) power like Flandre's, unless you choose something like Fairy, but who in their right mind would pick that since the main character of nameless quest is a fairy.
And like Nameless Quest, your skills can level up.
However, you will have a starter skill, predefined by what youkai you choose.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 04:40:10 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
>Hanzo
cuz I can.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
>Suggesting Tsuchinoko (earth child).

(And yes, that is a name suggestion)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:21:51 PM by Yonowaaru »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 03:21:16 PM »
>Morte (Floating Skull)

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:22:58 PM »
>Morte (Floating Skull)
Not enough fire on that skull.

EDIT:

You know I'm going to vote for a plant based youkai. Though the question is: Female or Male?

I think I'll go with a female, and I'll decide oh what name I wanna vote for later.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:09:13 PM by Kips McKipzerson »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »
You know I'm going to vote for a plant based youkai.

So one vote for plant then.
Anyone else?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »
>There is only one votes for Morte.

Also, I recommend female. Because guy in gensokyo is pretty much the most overdone of templates.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 04:26:09 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking female too. Though I dont think Hanzo is a female name.
I know, lets name it Rou-Tan!  :V

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
We better not get Rou confused then, otherwise he'll wind up parsing this for me unintentionally. :3
But that might work, provided Rou doesn't object.
Although...I planned to have cameos from other text adventures.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 04:30:46 PM »
I was kidding. >.>
What about Hibachi? It sounds cool and iirc it has something to do with bee's, which makes it great for a plant-related youkai.
Oh and hibachis a girl obviously

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
It'd fit an insect youkai better though.
Bees = Hibachi = Bees = Insects.

Parser's note:
The List of usable suggested names is as follows.
Hibachi
Rou-tan
The only iffy one is "Tsuchinoko".
But it is still in mind.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:35:42 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
Yeah, But bee's have a pretty big relation to flowers more then other insects. And the fact that iirc it's name means "Day bee" or some crap like that, then thats even MORE related to Yuuka.
Day = Sun = Sunflower
Bee = Pollination = more flowers

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 04:42:03 PM »
You forgot Morte =[

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
Morte reminds me of an ogre. Ogre's remind me of onis.
eff onis we got flowers

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »
You forgot Morte =[
Think about it, Morte, on a FEMALE youkai?
It really wouldn't work out well.
Maybe in the future sequel, or for another walk-on, depending on the youkai chosen.
Who knows, if kasha is chosen, it may still get used for another special thing. :3
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »
If the first name "Hibachi" means "bees" then the surname should mean ".mp3" :V

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
Fine, motioning for Muerta.

Not to mention that names don't have to have meanings at all. Meaningful name is a crutch for writers, really.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
If the first name "Hibachi" means "bees" then the surname should mean ".mp3" :V

BZZZZZ

But in all honesty, is that a vote?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:57:38 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 04:56:38 PM »
Well still It also sounds cool
Hibachi
reminds me of a food

Whatthe

• Still distracted
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
But in all honesty, is that a vote?
Not a vote, just a suggestion.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 05:00:55 PM »
We can compromise.

>Change vote: Muerta.mp3

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 05:04:09 PM »
Okay, so two for muerta, and one for hibachi.
Any other lurkers wanna chime in?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Whatthe

• Still distracted
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 05:09:02 PM »

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »
Waaait a minute...
okay so apparently its not day or bee
but i could'va sworn I heard it was somewhere.
let's vote for bowl-girl

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 05:13:09 PM »
Waaait a minute...

I know right?
Hibachi-grilled food is best food.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Whatthe

• Still distracted
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 05:24:19 PM »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
We better not get Rou confused then, otherwise he'll wind up parsing this for me unintentionally. :3
But that might work, provided Rou doesn't object.
Although...I planned to have cameos from other text adventures.
what

I'd rather not get stuff confused and have two Rou-tans running around. Too much paperwork for both of us. :V

As for what youkai to go for? Futakichi-onna concept, but rather than having both heads at once she carries around two masks, and putting on either one switches her personality. One side of her [Sadako] is moe, while the other [Kodasa] is tsundere.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »
so erm
2 for hibachi (aka bowl girl) and two for the other one, right? unless im miscounting.