Author Topic: Have a suggestion for a new feature?  (Read 200839 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Have a suggestion for a new feature?
« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2014, 08:23:47 PM »
Perhaps a post count? As a guideline for length of time on the forum or something like that.
http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?action=stats

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2014, 01:30:17 AM »
Perhaps a post count? As a guideline for length of time on the forum or something like that.
No.

Post count was hidden a long time ago because all it does is encourage e-peen wagging and people thinking certain people are more important because they post more.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2014, 01:49:24 AM »
people thinking certain people are more important because they post more

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?action=stats

1. Purvis
2. Me
3. Draco
4. Sir Amat

I dunno, seems pretty accurate to me.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #243 on: March 14, 2014, 01:50:25 AM »
I still cannot get over how I have the most topics by far.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2014, 09:19:26 AM »
I still cannot get over how I have the most topics by far.
Spammer.

In addition to Ammy's global stats, post counts can be viewed from your own profile and clicking stats. And having high post count means nothing about the time span a user spent on MotK.

Tengukami

« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
And having high post count means nothing about the time span a user spent on MotK.
Exactly. That's what the Most Time Online stat is for:

Purvis: 513d 12h 49m
Dormio: 470d 18h 44m
Kilgamayan: 407d 5h 10m
Matsuri: 387d 18h 44m
Donut: 312d 17h 33m

You can achieve a high amount of time online by simply never closing your MotK tab. In fact, as a general guideline this is great advice. You'll have a long way to go to catch up with people like Purv, Dormio and Kilga, all over whom have wasted enjoyed more than a year online. Even Moerin is in 6th place, and he's been more or less invisible for two years now. Good luck, diligent poster, in trying to break the top ten here!

If I were you, Biggie Bigz (can I call you that?), I would try to break the top ten of Topic Starters. The bottom tier is only 100 threads started. You're already at 19 threads - about a fifth of the way there!

Now, there is unfortunately no stats for Quality Topic Starters, because if there were I would be Numero Uno. Maybe you can suggest that as a feature instead.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #246 on: April 10, 2014, 02:51:49 AM »
You can achieve a high amount of time online by simply never closing your MotK tab.
I'm pretty sure you need to be actively browsing the site in order for your time online to count. (IE. opened a new page or clicked a link or something within the past 15 minutes)

Also, Purvis is a scrub.
[12:47:39] <Dormio> @math calc 482/1313
[12:47:40] <Keine-tan> Dormio: 0.367098248286
[12:48:22] <Dormio> @math calc 521/1772
[12:48:24] <Keine-tan> Dormio: 0.294018058691
[12:48:54] <Dormio> 36.7% of my time is spent actively browsing motk as opposed to purvis' 29.4%

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #247 on: May 04, 2014, 09:36:50 AM »
How feasible would it be to add a profile setting for Twitch username, so there'd be an icon for that at the bottom of posts? Streaming on Twitch seems to be getting pretty popular lately, at least to my impression.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #248 on: July 15, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
No more difficult than adding the others, I'll add it to my todo list.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #249 on: October 02, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
Why not add a search button/bar/link right here: http://imgur.com/jrdZrc9

So I wanted to talk about a certain game so I hopped on over to Akyu's arcade and realized "Boy I sure should search if there's been any threads about this game" I then went looking for a search function and couldn't find one. Turns out it was up at the top of the page. I'm glad because for a second I thought the only link was on the front page of the forum.
In order to streamline this process I was thinking it might help to add a link to the search function (preset to search the current forum & its sub-forums), or even a search bar (again, preset to search the current forum & sub-forums), somewhere between the header and the content of the page, and perhaps most appropriately, next to the "New Topic" button.

AHHH! How do I format? My picture is showing up as a broken link. What does that mean? Can it at least salvage the situation by including a link to the picture? Reddit has an expandable "formatting help" bar, which might be worth implementing. Additionally, what about buttons down at "Quick Reply" area and here in the "Modify Post" view, that send the user to the advanced editor.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:15:38 PM by Imosa »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #250 on: October 02, 2014, 07:45:34 PM »
Why not add a search button/bar/link right here: http://imgur.com/jrdZrc9

So I wanted to talk about a certain game so I hopped on over to Akyu's arcade and realized "Boy I sure should search if there's been any threads about this game" I then went looking for a search function and couldn't find one. Turns out it was up at the top of the page. I'm glad because for a second I thought the only link was on the front page of the forum.
In order to streamline this process I was thinking it might help to add a link to the search function (preset to search the current forum & its sub-forums), or even a search bar (again, preset to search the current forum & sub-forums), somewhere between the header and the content of the page, and perhaps most appropriately, next to the "New Topic" button.

AHHH! How do I format? My picture is showing up as a broken link. What does that mean? Can it at least salvage the situation by including a link to the picture? Reddit has an expandable "formatting help" bar, which might be worth implementing. Additionally, what about buttons down at "Quick Reply" area and here in the "Modify Post" view, that send the user to the advanced editor.

You can't throw the imgur site in a img tag, you have to get the actual image file URL out. As for the search bar, sure that sounds like a logical addition to add an additional search bar above the topic list and topic view, although I'll have to figure out what prefixes I need to setup to have it search current board/thread.

As for the rest I guess I'm misunderstanding and not sure what you're asking, can you draw a mockup or something (even if it's awful MS Paint I'll probably get it better).

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #251 on: October 02, 2014, 10:29:28 PM »
Well, when you hit reply you go to this editor with tons of buttons for formatting text. This is not something you're offered with the quick reply feature but that kinda makes sense because its the quick reply feature and isn't meant for more detailed posts. However, some of the buttons offered in the editor are still kinda helpful, mainly Bold, Italics, Underline, Hyperlink, Image, and "Toggle View". So maybe place those along the top of the Quick Post text box:

Additionally/Alternatively, if someone is writing a "Quick PostTM" and then realizes that they need the full editor, have a button somewhere that goes to the editor with the content of the quick post box already in it. In the above picture I've placed such a button next to the Post button.

Additionally all of the above features could be applied to the interface when modifying a post. This is particularly important though because right now there is no way to assist posters trying to modify formatting issues.

The other idea is a little more low tech. It simply involves adding text to any editing area that looks something like this:
Bold
Code: [Select]
[b]bold[/b]Italic
Code: [Select]
[i]Italic[/i]ect.ect.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #252 on: October 02, 2014, 10:42:10 PM »
That shouldn't be too hard (well the button row, not sure about the drag the post to the full featured editor)

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #253 on: October 02, 2014, 10:56:02 PM »
Honestly you can get to the full featured editor by clicking preview :v

The buttons make sense though.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #254 on: October 02, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »
I can relabel the preview button on the quick reply to "Open in Full Editor" or something like that then. That's easy enough.

Massaca

• すやぁ...
« Reply #255 on: October 02, 2014, 11:27:24 PM »
Could you add a "Search This Topic" box/function to the Reply/Notify/etc. bar?
So far when I've needed to I've just used the Print function then searched the page but I think a topic search would just be a bit more convenient with the proper formatting and ability to jump to certain posts and such.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #256 on: October 03, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »
Feature request: Being able to press ctrl+i/b/u for italics/bold/underline tags in the editors. I dunno if it works in other browsers, but it does not for Chrome.

Tengukami

« Reply #257 on: October 04, 2014, 01:50:52 AM »
Could you add a "Search This Topic" box/function to the Reply/Notify/etc. bar?
So far when I've needed to I've just used the Print function then searched the page but I think a topic search would just be a bit more convenient with the proper formatting and ability to jump to certain posts and such.
As long as it's a topic you've posted in, you can search for the keyword in Show Posts on your profile. That's what I've been doing anyway.

Feature request: Being able to press ctrl+i/b/u for italics/bold/underline tags in the editors. I dunno if it works in other browsers, but it does not for Chrome.
Works on FF for me.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #258 on: November 21, 2014, 01:19:56 AM »
Now I dread to use bold text, because they are indistinguishable from a visited URL link in appearance.

Can we have some differentiation between the default URL and bold text? This has bugged me since coming to this forum.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #259 on: November 21, 2014, 07:43:47 AM »
Now I dread to use bold text, because they are indistinguishable from a visited URL link in appearance.

Can we have some differentiation between the default URL and bold text? This has bugged me since coming to this forum.
Wow, I never thought I'd see the day someone would suggest that.

I would've myself, but I thought some people will just see it pointless.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #260 on: November 21, 2014, 06:25:58 PM »
True... I never bothered to fix that D: I'll think of something...

Tengukami

« Reply #261 on: November 21, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »
Make links pink. I hear it makes the boys wink.

Kaizaki

• Pillager
  • I'm feeling lucky
    • GitHub
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2015, 01:39:00 AM »
Could we have topic and post scores similar to Reddit, but without downvotes (like Google +1's, more or less)?

I don't know how practical this is, and whether this has been suggested or considered before. I admit that features which display group approval/consensus may cause rifts, disagreements and other things to go wrong, but I leave that up to your judgement. :)

Thanks!

Tengukami

« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2015, 02:21:42 AM »
Last time this came up the response was:

No thanks, I'm not implementing a karma system so people can rub eachother inappropriately.  As nice as it sounds this isn't the best place to do it.

Kaizaki

• Pillager
  • I'm feeling lucky
    • GitHub
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2015, 02:54:39 AM »
Ah, oki. I thought that would be the reason why not. Thanks for the prompt response.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »
Even image boards or boards like 4chan don't have that system :V

+1/-1 has no purpose for actual content or experience aside from datamining purposes imo. And datamining is for corporates or some scientist.

I am also glad we don't put emphasis on post counts or other titles and things regarding forum activity. You know how some forums have those meters/gauges displaying: "SUPER MEMBER" or "Mega addicted mega hyper lifeless member" things. They usually mean nothing anyway. If you're really curious how long a member has been around, you can just click his profile and look at register date.

Drake

« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »
* Drake whistles innocently

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2015, 12:42:40 PM »
I meant more like the specific post-count related titles. Like someone with < 100 posts has some silly title + gauge with stars or w/e or medals. Someone > 1000 has another silly title and all kind of bling bling badges/stars/medals.

The title thing on MotK might be silly or 'lulz' but they aren't really correlated to post counts, thank god.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2015, 01:46:07 PM »
Besides, we all know who is the no-life king here even without those stupid titles :derp:

Now I want to sort people by their average daily uptime and post count.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2015, 02:28:24 PM »
Exactly. That's what the Most Time Online stat is for:

Purvis: 513d 12h 49m
Dormio: 470d 18h 44m
Kilgamayan: 407d 5h 10m
Matsuri: 387d 18h 44m
Donut: 312d 17h 33m
If Ammy took this data on the same day he posted (March 14 2014), today is the 342nd day from then.

As of today:
Dormio Ergo Sum: 658d 6h 47m

Dormio has spent 188 of the last 342 days online.

That is 55% percent of (roughly) the last year online.

55 PERCENT

what the fuck